ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Sitting at work... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268178)

mcan 12-30-2012 01:04 PM

Sitting at work...

...browsing the planet and not getting much done. They moved me to Sundays to sit here as the only tech in the building and take care of walk ins. I work for a local ipod/iphone repair shop, and generally like the work. The holidays have us behind by quite a bit and the techs around here put in a ton of unpaid hours to keep the place as close to "caught up" as possible. But moving me to Sundays means I'm not here on Fridays (which is usually a day we get a lot done and don't receive as many shipments). Without me here though, Fridays are now putting us further behind.

Anyway, the pay is kinda garbage ($11/hr) but I do have some benefits and it's full time. Just frustrated that I'm here on Sundays and still not making a living wage. So, now to my question:

What the hell do I have to do in this freaking city to make $30 or $40K a year? I have a college degree and generally work my butt off and make myself valuable to my employers. Just... Frustrated that the only jobs out there seem to pay in the mid $20Ks at best, and companies are so freaking stingy with raises. I'd have to work here for many many years it seems to even build up to what anybody would call "middle class" earnings.

Bugeater 12-30-2012 01:05 PM

I'd love to answer your question, but it would result in this thread getting moved to DC.

Ace Gunner 12-30-2012 01:07 PM

save your $$$ and start your own repair biz.

mcan 12-30-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9251636)
I'd love to answer your question, but it would result in this thread getting moved to DC.

Fair enough.

mcan 12-30-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9251646)
save your $$$ and start your own repair biz.

This thought has occurred to me on more than one occasion. If the guys around here can do this, anybody can.

In58men 12-30-2012 01:09 PM

Can't work you on Sunday's if you say your religious.

mcan 12-30-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9251656)
Can't work you on Sunday's if you say your religious.

Outspoken atheist... That ship has sailed.

I guess I could convert, but I think they'd see right through that. Anyway, the fact that I'm here on a Sunday kinda sucks, but that's just adding fuel to the "damn I don't get paid enough" fire. Hard to even blame em though. Hell, at least they GAVE me a job. Probably applied to three dozen other places that didn't even call back, and the other job I turned down (phone sales) only paid $10.50. It's just rough man. I was making more than that just out of high school and working at a music store (was making $13.50 as a manager there). Can't believe I'm worth less to employers now that I have a college degree and work experience... Just mind boggling.

I mean, I could go get a forklift job and make $14+ somewhere, but that isn't exactly the life I envisioned for myself.

Ace Gunner 12-30-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 9251655)
This thought has occurred to me on more than one occasion. If the guys around here can do this, anybody can.

last year I loaned a friend $6K so he could start a puter repair shop. last month he paid me $9k and made $72k profit this year. Just him and his friend. the store is located in san francisco.

loochy 12-30-2012 01:26 PM

What's your degree?

Also, remember this: You get job opportunities through networking. Talk to everyone you know, make a good impression, and get their contact info. If you are working on a customer's phone, chat them up and find out what they do. Work the connections. Sending resumes and applications "cold call" style rarely works.

Always keep your resume up to date and always keep some copies with you to quickly hand someone.

prhom 12-30-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 9251717)
Can't believe I'm worth less to employers now that I have a college degree and work experience... Just mind boggling.

I mean, I could go get a forklift job and make $14+ somewhere, but that isn't exactly the life I envisioned for myself.

What degree did you earn, and what was it that you expected to do with that degree?

loochy 12-30-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 9251717)

But fixing phones for peanuts is?

mcan 12-30-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9251770)
What's your degree?

Also, remember this: You get job opportunities through networking. Talk to everyone you know, make a good impression, and get their contact info. If you are working on a customer's phone, chat them up and find out what they do. Work the connections. Sending resumes and applications "cold call" style rarely works.

Always keep your resume up to date and always keep some copies with you to quickly hand someone.

I was told over and over again as I was growing up that the degree was the important part, and that I should study something I'd be interested in. So I went for theater and philosophy. ooops.

mcan 12-30-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9251797)
But fixing phones for peanuts is?

I actually love fixing phones.

loochy 12-30-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 9251806)
I was told over and over again as I was growing up that the degree was the important part, and that I should study something I'd be interested in. So I went for theater and philosophy. ooops.

Oh. That degree really means nothing in the normal job market other than satisfying a "4 year degree" requirement. Why aren't you pursuing theater? Are you willing to move? Start checking out job openings in NYC.

loochy 12-30-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 9251810)
I actually love fixing phones.

well it sounds like you might want to try the self run business part.