ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Geno Smith vs Alex Smith - It's on. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272597)

mikey23545 04-28-2013 03:55 PM

This could be a trick question...

Are Geno's Canadian Football League wins going to count?

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:58 PM

If you want to draft a QB high you aren't dumb. You are smart.

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9641552)

Geno Smith will post double-digit wins and a playoff win for the Jets before Alex Smith does for the Chiefs.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-28-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9641529)
I've been told (on here) that franchise QBs elevate the play of everyone around them. If that is true, and Geno is a franchise QB, you should clearly take him. If you think that Geno isn't that sort of difference maker, you should take Alex due to the team around him (although it should be noted that the Chiefs were clearly worse than the Jets last season).

I doubt anyone on here will argue that Alex is a franchise/difference-maker QB.

They do, but finding a ready-made franchise QB from day one is extremely rare.

That's a crucial difference that most Chiefs fans don't get. They want the guy who is ready to go from Day 1 and those players are almost never available.

The far more realistic avenue is to find a QB with the potential to be that kind of player and then develop him into that kind of player.

Young QBs can go to bad teams and start right away and be ok, but only if they have a good coach who understands the modern game. If you take any young QB and put him in with a coach that believes in Hermball you have a recipe for disaster.

If I was coaching a first round QB I'd almost never run on first down. I think that is the single best thing you can do for their development. The worst thing is to constantly put them in 3rd and long, which Ryan, Del Rio, John Fox, and tons of other stooges have done with overly conservative playcalling.

Mr. Kotter 04-28-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9641552)

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Pitt Gorilla 04-28-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641556)

By definition? Geno at 1.1 is smart? How about Barkley or Bray?

Pitt Gorilla 04-28-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9641558)
They do, but finding a ready-made franchise QB from day one is extremely rare.

That's a crucial difference that most Chiefs fans don't get. They want the guy who is ready to go from Day 1 and those players are almost never available.

The far more realistic avenue is to find a QB with the potential to be that kind of player and then develop him into that kind of player.

Young QBs can go to bad teams and start right away and be ok, but only if they have a good coach who understands the modern game. If you take any young QB and put him in with a coach that believes in Hermball you have a recipe for disaster.

If I was coaching a first round QB I'd almost never run on first down. I think that is the single best thing you can do for their development. The worst thing is to constantly put them in 3rd and long, which Ryan, Del Rio, John Fox, and tons of other stooges have done with overly conservative playcalling.

Is Gabbert salvageable? He has incredible talent.

BigMeatballDave 04-28-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641557)
Geno Smith will post double-digit wins and a playoff win for the Jets before Alex Smith does for the Chiefs.

The sad part about this statement is you hope that you are correct. Just to justify your position on all of this.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-28-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9641562)
Is Gabbert salvageable? He has incredible talent.

Probably not. The one thing I learned from Gabbert is the importance of pocket presence. He just doesn't have any, and I don't think you can learn that.

DRU 04-28-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641556)

Yet having the will power to do something other than what you want to so badly because it's obviously not the best decision makes you even smarter.

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9641563)
The sad part about this statement is you hope that you are correct. Just to justify your position on all of this.

There's a difference between hoping you are correct and knowing you are correct.

KChiefs1 04-28-2013 04:05 PM

Lets see....hmmmm.

#1 overall pick vs #39 = Alex Smith
Proven winner in the NFL = Alex Smith
Great teammate & doesn't hang head & sulk = Alex Smith
Alex Smith 40/50 on Wonderlic vs Geno Smith 24/50 = Alex Smith

Alex Smith earned a bachelor's degree in economics in two years with a 3.74 GPA and began work on a master's degree in the field before being drafted. Did Geno graduate?

Alex Smith 4.70 vs Geno Smith 4.59 = Geno Smith
Alex Smith 32" vertical vs Geno Smith 33.5" vertical = Geno Smith

acesn8s 04-28-2013 04:05 PM

The Geno Smith butt hurt is strong with this one.

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 04:06 PM

Comparing QBs by GPA and vertical jump.

This fan base has limitless stupidity.

BigMeatballDave 04-28-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641571)
There's a difference between hoping you are correct and knowing you are correct.

And you just knew Cassel was the shit 4 years ago, right?