ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Civilization VI (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=299831)

DJJasonp 10-13-2016 01:41 PM

So one of my favorite games of all time is Rise of Nations.

How does the CIV games compare?

I tried one of them out once, but found it really complicated (albeit, I was on a plane at the time!).

Loved Rise of Nations - and if CIV is anything comparable, or better, I'll bite (just wondering about the learning curve)

GloucesterChief 10-13-2016 08:40 PM

Civ VI looks to be much more complex then Civ V since they unpacked the cities onto the map. So, it is hard to tell without the game in hand yet.

Loneiguana 10-21-2016 06:50 AM

It's out. I have it downloaded and started it up for a few minutes this morning.

Anyone getting to play today? I'll have to wait till later tonight.

Loneiguana 10-21-2016 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 12481067)
So one of my favorite games of all time is Rise of Nations.

How does the CIV games compare?

I tried one of them out once, but found it really complicated (albeit, I was on a plane at the time!).

Loved Rise of Nations - and if CIV is anything comparable, or better, I'll bite (just wondering about the learning curve)

Rise of Nations, if I remember right, was developed by someone who use to work on Civilization, so there are some similarities.

Turn based versus real time is the obvious difference, but if you enjoy growing a civilization through the ages, I would suggest giving the civilization series a try.

If you don't want to drop 60 on the new game, civ 5 with all dlc can be had for pretty cheap now and then on steam.

Loneiguana 10-21-2016 11:10 AM

<A href="http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-review/">PC Gamer: 93 Percent. My favorite part of the review:
"But there are so many of these new features that it could feel overwhelming at times. The depth and variety of systems resembles a Civ game that’s already had two or three expansions added on top"</A>

Silock 10-21-2016 03:49 PM

The map can go to hell and die. I hate it. I like everything else. But there's not enough difference between the undiscovered and discovered map portions.

Mizzou_8541 10-21-2016 07:31 PM

Anyone played it yet? I'm a Mac user ATM, so I'll have to wait until November/Decemberish.

Silock 10-21-2016 08:38 PM

Playing it now. The map is really my only qualm.

GloucesterChief 10-23-2016 08:29 AM

Barbarians are much harder in this version. Seems like the camps pump them out every three turns if they know where your city is.

I do agree that the fog of war and unexplored need to be different colors than one just being a lighter shade of brown than the other. Makes it hard to figure out with just a glance.

AI seems somewhat better but I had Cleo declare war on me a turn after we met for some reason. Considering I have been playing with Pericles, I haven't actually fought Frederick yet even though I am been on the same continent.

DC.chief 10-24-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 12500096)
Barbarians are much harder in this version. Seems like the camps pump them out every three turns if they know where your city is.

I do agree that the fog of war and unexplored need to be different colors than one just being a lighter shade of brown than the other. Makes it hard to figure out with just a glance.

AI seems somewhat better but I had Cleo declare war on me a turn after we met for some reason. Considering I have been playing with Pericles, I haven't actually fought Frederick yet even though I am been on the same continent.

I agree about the map colors. AI seems buggy. Had two leaders declare war on me on like turn 15. and 1 turn later they both offered me peace and gave me a bunch of gold too. Worked in my favor but that ain't right

hometeam 10-24-2016 12:38 PM

been watching some streams of this. looks like more of the same, in a good way. However, not gonna pay full price.

TambaBerry 10-24-2016 07:23 PM

Just bought it tonight, played for about an hour. Its good, i like it. However, there is a lot that needs to be fixed. It feels super slow, the AI needs reworked, you can't use a battering ram against cities unless they have a wall built. thats just my first thoughts from minimal play.

Silock 10-25-2016 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 12504749)
It feels super slow

A game on "quick" has taken me 6 hours and I'm not even to the Renaissance yet.

DC.chief 10-25-2016 07:13 AM

My first completed game was around 8 hours on quick

Loneiguana 10-25-2016 10:15 AM

Research rates compared to building times needs addressed.

My first marathon game on King has me in the Renaissance age around 200 b.c., but building anything takes forever. 60 turns for harbor district but 20 turns a tech.... seems off. And I'm not even focusing on science... or at least not intentionally.