ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Will Smith to star in Tarantinos next "Django Unchained" ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244861)

Deberg_1990 05-06-2011 08:42 PM

Jamie Foxx to star in Tarantinos next "Django Unchained"

Wow, at first glance sounds like oil and water....but im down with this in a weird way. QT hasnt let me down yet.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...trunner-186250

Will Smith has emerged as the frontrunner to star in Quentin Tarantino’s next film, Django Unchained, a spaghetti Western about a slave in the Old South who teams with a German bounty hunter to search for his wife.

Tarantino stalwarts Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz also are circling key parts.

The film, Tarantino’s follow-up to his worldwide blockbuster Inglourious Basterds, will be distributed domestically by the Weinstein Co., but Tarantino is in the process of selecting a studio partner to release the film internationally. Sources say he was meeting with Universal executives Friday, and similar meetings with Sony, Paramount, Warner Bros. and possibly others have been scheduled.

Sources prepped for those meetings say Tarantino would like Smith to star in the film, the script for which has been making the rounds in recent days to wide acclaim. No official offer has been made to Smith, and any deal would of course be subject to working out financials, which might be difficult given Smith's status as one of Hollywood's few sure-thing stars.

Indeed, though Smith has been out of multiplexes since 2008’s Seven Pounds, he is still considered among the top two or three box-office draws worldwide.

Smith is being teed up for the title role of Django, a freed slave who seeks to reunite with his slave wife, a journey that will see him team with a German bounty hunter to take down an evil plantation owner.

Tarantino wrote the bounty hunter part with Waltz in mind, according to insiders. The German ends up training Django and helping him seek his wife.

Jackson would play the house slave to the bad guy, Monsieur Calvin Candie. The slave is an expert manipulator and will face off with Django.

Smith and his reps have received the screenplay, which could be a hot potato due to the themes of racism and the liberal use of the N-word. It's unclear whether Smith has read the script yet. The actor manages his image very carefully, but the part is heroic and could be iconic. And let’s not forget that Denzel Washington won his two Oscars playing characters who used the N-word.

Tarantino is aiming for a fall shoot in the South, possibly in Louisiana, but the exact locale has not been determined.

Bowser 05-07-2011 10:24 AM

"The actor manages his image very carefully"

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EL9QkoMkSTM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 05-07-2011 10:25 AM

And for the record, I'd love to see what Tarantino could bring out of Smith. He really is a decent actor when he gets away from the summer blockbuster and given a chance.

Bump 05-07-2011 10:38 AM

Really, I've only seen Will Smith "act" in 2 films. But whatever, he's rich as **** doing what he does and he seems like an intelligent person.

NashvilleRock.net 05-07-2011 02:16 PM

So QT is making a "spaghetti western" which is a western film shot in Europe with an Italian director that will be shot in the South?? Got it.

Deberg_1990 05-07-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashvilleRock.net (Post 7626175)
So QT is making a "spaghetti western" which is a western film shot in Europe with an Italian director that will be shot in the South?? Got it.

The Original Django was a Spaghetti Western. Hes really only taking the name and inspiration from it. As with most all his movies, it wont be quite what it appears and sounds like on the surface.

-King- 05-07-2011 02:59 PM

If Will Smith is in it...I will watch it. Only movie of his I haven't watched is Wild Wild West and that's because that was a pure abortion from what I've heard.

Miles 05-07-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7626015)
And for the record, I'd love to see what Tarantino could bring out of Smith. He really is a decent actor when he gets away from the summer blockbuster and given a chance.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Seems like an odd choice at first glance but could easily see it working very well.

vailpass 05-07-2011 05:19 PM

Can't decide which would be stranger: a QT movie where the F word isn't dropped every 4th word or Will Smith in a movie dropping the F word every 4th word.

Red Brooklyn 05-08-2011 01:17 PM

Guys, I like Will Smith a lot more than QT. I said I wouldn't see another QT movie. But with Will Smith in it.... I might just have to.

Deberg_1990 06-22-2011 07:12 PM

Apparently, hes cast Jamie Foxx as DJango...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50125

Lots of actors circled the title role for Quentin Tarantino's DJANGO UNCHAINED - Will Smith, Idris Elba - but one actor has apparently signed on the line that is dotted - Jamie Foxx, who will join Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, and Christoph Waltz in Tarantino's "Southern", his slave drama film, to be released in 2012,

Foxx is no stranger to dramatic roles, having won the Oscar for RAY, and I think he's a good choice. My personal favorite was Elba, but Foxx is no slouch and will work well with the cast. I just want to see this thing - I haven't read the script. I read INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and regretted it - it was such a rich script that I wish I'd held out and experienced it first on the big screen. Won't be making that mistake this time. DJANGO UNCHAINED is being produced by the Weinstein Company

Brock 06-22-2011 07:16 PM

Will Smith doesn't have the balls to do a movie like that.

Thig Lyfe 06-22-2011 07:31 PM

Meh. Shoulda gone with Stringer.

durtyrute 06-22-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7710684)
Will Smith doesn't have the balls to do a movie like that.

Great actor..but you're right,he couldn't do it

Brock 06-22-2011 07:55 PM

He has the chops, he just prefers not to risk anything. If it's not a summer blockbuster, don't even bother calling.

BigRedChief 06-22-2011 08:09 PM

Fox is a much better actor.

Deberg_1990 06-22-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7710748)
He has the chops, he just prefers not to risk anything. If it's not a summer blockbuster, don't even bother calling.

This..

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/im_5QdHp04E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ThaVirus 06-22-2011 09:28 PM

WTF are you whores talking about? Will Smith is not only one of the highest grossing actors in the biz today, he's also one of the best. An A-lister in my book. He definitely runs the summer blockbuster ring, there's no doubting that, but to say he can't do much more is just bogus. He's probably the most versatile actor out right now as well. You want action? He does it, and does it well. You want comedy? He does it, and does it well. You want romance? He does it, and does it well. You want drama? He does it, and does it well. You want some not-so-serious fun? He does that, and does it better than anyone.

I'm telling you guys, Will Smith hasn't quite broken the stigma of being a goofy, rapper-turned-actor to everyone yet, but he's been a pretty damn good actor for a while now.

Brock 06-22-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7710933)
WTF are you whores talking about? Will Smith is not only one of the highest grossing actors in the biz today, he's also one of the best. An A-lister in my book. He definitely runs the summer blockbuster ring, there's no doubting that, but to say he can't do much more is just bogus. He's probably the most versatile actor out right now as well. You want action? He does it, and does it well. You want comedy? He does it, and does it well. You want romance? He does it, and does it well. You want drama? He does it, and does it well. You want some not-so-serious fun? He does that, and does it better than anyone.

I'm telling you guys, Will Smith hasn't quite broken the stigma of being a goofy, rapper-turned-actor to everyone yet, but he's been a pretty damn good actor for a while now.

Who said he's not a good actor? What I said was, he doesn't take risks.

ThaVirus 06-22-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7710940)
Who said he's not a good actor? What I said was, he doesn't take risks.

Well you said he doesn't bother with anything other than summer blockbusters, but two of his most recent films Seven Pounds and Pursuit of Happyness could hardly be qualified as summer blockbusters. Then durtyrute said he "couldn't pull it off". So I had to disagree.

Brock 06-22-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7710950)
Well you said he doesn't bother with anything other than summer blockbusters, but two of his most recent films Seven Pounds and Pursuit of Happyness could hardly be qualified as summer blockbusters. Then durtyrute said he "couldn't pull it off". So I had to disagree.

There was absolutely nothing risky about either of those roles, other than risking boring everybody to death.

ThaVirus 06-22-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7710972)
There was absolutely nothing risky about either of those roles, other than risking boring everybody to death.

Can you give me some examples of risky roles, please?

-King- 06-22-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7710675)
Apparently, hes cast Jamie Foxx as DJango...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50125

Lots of actors circled the title role for Quentin Tarantino's DJANGO UNCHAINED - Will Smith, Idris Elba - but one actor has apparently signed on the line that is dotted - Jamie Foxx, who will join Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, and Christoph Waltz in Tarantino's "Southern", his slave drama film, to be released in 2012,

Foxx is no stranger to dramatic roles, having won the Oscar for RAY, and I think he's a good choice. My personal favorite was Elba, but Foxx is no slouch and will work well with the cast. I just want to see this thing - I haven't read the script. I read INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and regretted it - it was such a rich script that I wish I'd held out and experienced it first on the big screen. Won't be making that mistake this time. DJANGO UNCHAINED is being produced by the Weinstein Company

I read about 20 pages of it, then decided that I'd rather wait until the movie came out. Script was great up to the point I stopped reading.

-King- 06-22-2011 11:52 PM

By the way... I wish Will would have done it. He and Leonardo are my favorite actors so the two of them being in the same movie.... epic.

aturnis 06-23-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 7711048)
By the way... I wish Will would have done it. He and Leonardo are my favorite actors so the two of them being in the same movie.... epic.

Good tadte in actors.

blaise 06-23-2011 07:02 AM

I think most of Will Smith's movies are unwatchable garbage. Not that it's his fault, it's just that they're cornball crap.

blaise 06-23-2011 07:04 AM

I wonder if the deal breaker was because Tarantino wouldn't give a role to Will's kids.

Deberg_1990 06-23-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 7711048)

yea, i wish he would have done it as well....in fairness, we have no idea what happened...if he turned it down, if the money couldnt be worked out....or maybe QT didnt think he was right for the part?

Brock 06-23-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7711022)
Can you give me some examples of risky roles, please?

Sure. Read the post at the very top of this page.

soopamanluva 06-23-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 7710707)
Meh. Shoulda gone with Stringer.

Or Omar, that scar would have been a great for the story.

vailpass 06-23-2011 02:29 PM

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SAOxCl_3hLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6 06-25-2011 01:32 PM

Anyone but Will Smith, never, ever cared for his work.

How about an actual credible actor, like say... Terrence Howard.

Molitoth 06-25-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7711748)
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SAOxCl_3hLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lol Family Guy never gets old.

Bump 06-25-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7627694)
Guys, I like Will Smith a lot more than QT. I said I wouldn't see another QT movie. But with Will Smith in it.... I might just have to.

if you don't like QT, then you just don't like great films.

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 05:02 PM

Trailer has arrived.....Hell yes!!!

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="210" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xrcz2c"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrcz2c_django-unchained-trailer-bande-annonce-vo-hd_shortfilms" target="_blank">Django Unchained - Trailer / Bande-Annonce [VO|HD]</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Lyricis" target="_blank">Lyricis</a></i>

Buck 06-06-2012 05:08 PM

Looks ok.

mnchiefsguy 06-06-2012 05:11 PM

Is it me.....or is it Jamie Foxx and not Will Smith in the Django roll?

Just checked imdb...it is Jamie Foxx.

Still looks like a good flick though, will be checking it out.

the Talking Can 06-06-2012 05:14 PM

sweet

vailpass 06-06-2012 05:38 PM

Is he going to drag that no-talent son of his into this one too?

pr_capone 06-06-2012 05:42 PM

They could have had Samuel L. Jackson, Lawrence Fishburn, or Morgan Freeman... don't care. I won't even bother inconveniencing electrons to download this movie.

The only movie I want to see that has anything to do with QT is his snuff film.

vailpass 06-06-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 8663756)
They could have had Samuel L. Jackson, Lawrence Fishburn, or Morgan Freeman... don't care. I won't even bother inconveniencing electrons to download this movie.

LMAO I am so stealing that line

Bump 06-06-2012 05:48 PM

QT rules! I'll watch anything he makes

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2012 05:49 PM

DiCaprio and Tarantino?

Win.

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8663746)
Is he going to drag that no-talent son of his into this one too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8663661)
Is it me.....or is it Jamie Foxx and not Will Smith in the Django roll?

Just checked imdb...it is Jamie Foxx.

Still looks like a good flick though, will be checking it out.

QT originally wanted Smith, but Smith backed out and Foxx stepped in. I tried updating the thread title.

Oh, and The Karate Kid remake was good.

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

:spock:

Its a shame you dislike entertaining films so much.

vailpass 06-06-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8663794)
QT originally wanted Smith, but Smith backed out and Foxx stepped in. I tried updating the thread title.

:spock: Dear God.

Brock 06-06-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8663794)

We can safely disregard your opinion on movies in the future.

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8663818)
:spock: Dear God.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8663828)
We can safely disregard your opinion on movies in the future.

I like all types of movies. I'm not saying its Oscar quality, but it was well made for what it was.

Kyle DeLexus 06-06-2012 06:15 PM

I would have def watched if Smith and DiCaprio were in it. Now I might check it out on DVD since DiCaprio is one of my favorite actors.

SnakeXJones 06-06-2012 07:16 PM

A Tarantino movie with DiCpario is a must see but starting Jamie Foxx? he is very blah but still will watch it

BigRedChief 06-06-2012 08:15 PM

Any Taratonio movie is a good movie. Add in Dicaprio and Foxx, this movie had a chance to be epic.

Micjones 06-07-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7710933)

Will Smith's good, but he's makes some of the safest choices in Hollywood.
He'd never take a role like this. I'm not sure he has the kind of chops necessary to make a character like "Django" believable.

the Talking Can 06-07-2012 11:57 AM

i got to see Inglourious Basterds on the big screen again, recently, and it was even better than i remembered...a great movie, his best, imho...just felt relaxed and confident while retaining his quirks

i'm hoping this 'phase' carries over to Django

Deberg_1990 06-07-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8665245)
Will Smith's good, but he's makes some of the safest choices in Hollywood.
He'd never take a role like this. I'm not sure he has the kind of chops necessary to make a character like "Django" believable.

I love Smith. I wish he would have taken a chance and said yes to this. I think hes always concerned about his image more than anything. BUt to be fair, Kurt Russel and a few others turned down parts in this. Probably due to the controversial nature of the material.

Micjones 06-07-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8665529)
I love Smith. I wish he would have taken a chance and said yes to this. I think hes always concerned about his image more than anything. BUt to be fair, Kurt Russel and a few others turned down parts in this. Probably due to the controversial nature of the material.

Smith is very image-conscious.
I can't knock the approach though.
It's made for one very impressive filmography.

mnchiefsguy 06-07-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Samuel L. Jackson is in DJango, just not in the main role.

Sfeihc 06-07-2012 04:53 PM

"Django, the D is silent"

aturnis 06-07-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeXJones (Post 8664131)
A Tarantino movie with DiCpario is a must see but starting Jamie Foxx? he is very blah but still will watch it

This. I would rather they had gone with a nobody as Django than Jamie Fox.

SnakeXJones 06-07-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 8666106)

Tom Savini in blackface would been a better choice then Fox

Easy 6 06-07-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 8666106)

I pretty much agree, Fox has been mailing it in since Ray, getting by on natural cool without really digging in, i've always kinda thought of him as an actor that doesnt always take his craft seriously, he needs a director who is going to challenge & push him... maybe Tarantino is just the medicine he needs.

Predarat 06-08-2012 07:45 AM

DeBerg does usually have good taste in movies, but we are all human and have flaws. One of his is his love of the Karate Kid Remake.

Predarat 06-08-2012 07:50 AM

Django looks damn awesome.

Micjones 06-08-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 8666199)
I pretty much agree, Fox has been mailing it in since Ray, getting by on natural cool without really digging in, i've always kinda thought of him as an actor that doesnt always take his craft seriously, he needs a director who is going to challenge & push him... maybe Tarantino is just the medicine he needs.

He's been at his absolute best when portraying historical figures (Ray Charles, Bundini Brown). I also think he turned in rock solid performances in "Any Given Sunday", "Collateral" and "Dreamgirls".

the Talking Can 06-08-2012 08:07 AM

tarantino has a pretty good track record of getting strong performances from unlikely castings...i'll give him the benefit of the doubt

ThaVirus 06-08-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8665245)

I disagree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8665551)
Smith is very image-conscious.
I can't knock the approach though.
It's made for one very impressive filmography.

I agree.

Easy 6 06-08-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8667035)
He's been at his absolute best when portraying historical figures (Ray Charles, Bundini Brown). I also think he turned in rock solid performances in "Any Given Sunday", "Collateral" and "Dreamgirls".

Yeah, i'll give you Collateral he did do well playing against type & he was fine as Ali's trainer i guess.

But AGS was terrible all the way around, including him.

Deberg_1990 06-08-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 8666086)
"Django, the D is silent"

If Will Smith had played this part: "Django, the D is silent.....Wooooo!!"

beach tribe 06-08-2012 10:45 PM

Jamie Fox is infinitely more talented than Will Smiff.
Please show me an acting "performance" by will smith that is anything CLOSE to Fox's best efforts.

Silock 06-09-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 8668807)
Please show me an acting "performance" by will smith that is anything CLOSE to Fox's best efforts.

Independence Day, clearly.

Unforgettable performance, with classic lines like "I have GOT to get me one of THESE," and "Welcome to earth."

Frankly, I'm shocked he didn't win an Oscar there. HE WAS SNUBBED!

Crush 06-09-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8668963)

Unforgettable performance, with classic lines like "I have GOT to get me one of THESE," and "Welcome to earth."

I can't fault Smith with Independence Day. That entire movie is one giant turd. Bill Pullman as President. Cousin Eddie saving the day. The aliens not having a firewall. It is definitely one of the worst movies of all time.

Deberg_1990 06-09-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8668963)

Dude, don't hold that against Smith. That was early in his career and more script than acting. Hes not the greatest actor in the world but hes had a number of strong roles....although he does play it safe for the most part when choosing his roles.
Posted via Mobile Device

InChiefsHeaven 06-09-2012 07:50 AM

I liked Independence Day. Having fun and a suspension of disbelief is good. **** you.:p

DBOSHO 06-09-2012 07:58 AM

Pursuit of happiness, seven pounds, i am legend

ThaVirus 06-09-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 8668807)

I'd say Ray is Foxx's best performance. Ali from Smith is on that level.

Predarat 06-09-2012 01:25 PM

Will Smith would have done fine, but I think Foxx has that 'edginess' to him that will make it work better.

Brock 06-10-2012 11:20 AM

I heard it was because tarantino refused to write up one of Smith's always-hilarious "aw hell naw" scenes.

BigRedChief 06-10-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 8669017)
I can't fault Smith with Independence Day. That entire movie is one giant turd. Bill Pullman as President. Cousin Eddie saving the day. The aliens not having a firewall. It is definitely one of the worst movies of all time.

GEEEZZZ it wasnt that bad. Just pure escapist summer movie crap that Hollywood produces every year. A few canned jokes, CGI and lots of shit getting blown up. There are a lot worse in this catagory than Independence day.

blaise 06-10-2012 05:02 PM

Independence Day was awful. Just cornball crap.

InChiefsHeaven 06-10-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8671521)
Independence Day was awful. Just cornball crap.

That has it's place. Lighten up Francis.

Silock 06-10-2012 10:46 PM

For the record, I LOVE Independence Day.