ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs I think it's gonna be Barkley. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266588)

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9116291)
I think its gonna be Barkley as well. I am ok with it. In the end i really dont care who they pick, as long as we finally attempt to try the young qb.

Im listening to ESPN LA radio right now and during the comercials, you can hear MIke from Mike and MIke talking about the Chiefs havent had a drafted qb win since like 1987. lol National Media is finally on to this shit now.

Sorter 11-13-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9116281)
If you're a first time GM whose career depends on whether or not you get that pick right, it's definitely worrisome.

Not many GM's get the opportunity to choose two Top Five quarterbacks.

Well, it is something to take into consideration. To me, a public intoxication and media reports of "arrogance" about a QB who has had a letdown of a season doesn't sound the "abandon ship" bells.

Definitely something to chat with Tyler about as a GM and find out more but it doesn't mean he's a "scary" prospect. Different strokes for different folks though.

RealSNR 11-13-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9116283)
Is this true?

I don't know. They might use a 6th rounder, too.

A draft pick that low is a small price to pay for Aaron to stop his goddamn bitching. It's obvious nobody cares about his family problems.

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9116294)
Well, it is something to take into consideration. To me, a public intoxication and media reports of "arrogance" about a QB who has had a letdown of a season doesn't sound the "abandon ship" bells.

Definitely something to chat with Tyler about as a GM and find out more but it doesn't mean he's a "scary" prospect. Different strokes for different folks though.

If you've just been brought in as the GM of a franchise picking #1 or #2 overall that's in great need of a quarterback, every little item will be nitpicked to death.

IF that GM is wrong, he's out the door, plain and simple. It happens all the time in the NFL and if I'm that GM looking at two guys with flawless characters in Smith & Barkley (Barkley even more so) versus a guy with a skeleton in his closet, I pass and take the safest selection.

Being the safe selection doesn't mean that you're looking at an untalented QB that's incapable of leading a team, it just means you're taking the safest bet that he will succeed.

RealSNR 11-13-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9116305)
If you've just been brought in as the GM of a franchise picking #1 or #2 overall that's in great need of a quarterback, every little item will be nitpicked to death.

IF that GM is wrong, he's out the door, plain and simple. It happens all the time in the NFL and if I'm that GM looking at two guys with flawless characters in Smith & Barkley (Barkley even more so) versus a guy with a skeleton in his closet, I pass and take the safest selection.

Being the safe selection doesn't mean that you're looking at an untalented QB that's incapable of leading a team, it just means you're taking the safest bet that he will succeed.

Pretty much this.

Especially this year when he's most people's #3 QB at this point. If it comes down to a decision between him and a guy like Geno or Barkley (outstanding off the field character guys), those little tiny gashes in his record will be the difference.

Chiefs Pantalones 11-13-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9115988)
Barkley: 64.8 CMP%, 33 TD, 13 INT

Geno: 71.3 CMP%, 31 TD, 3 INT

Barkley's OL and surrounding cast is much better, he receives more protection and has more time to throw, and the teams he faced are about as tough or maybe slightly easier than the teams Geno faced. Geno is out-performing him. Geno also looks better. He has to make a decision quicker, and he makes fewer mistakes. The only concern is if Geno can adapt to an NFL offense.

Other than that, it really doesn't look like a tough decision to me. I wouldn't be pissed with Barkley, but I'm not picking him over Geno.

I like Geno but he's just really raw. Barkley is the more polished prospect at this point, with Geno having a higher ceiling and potential. The only thing is potential gets you fired in this league.

petegz28 11-13-2012 05:54 PM

Not sold on Barkley. Need someone who can perform without uber talent around him.

Chiefnj2 11-13-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9116270)
He was arrested for public intoxication, he's known to be arrogant and stubborn, and on and on.

All things that most NFL teams don't take lightly these days.

Also, when there's smoke, there's usually fire. I wouldn't be surprised to hear more come out during Combine week and thereafter.

Do you have any links to stories about his arrest or arrogance?

farmerchief 11-13-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9115540)
I think that Smith has more obvious physical ability, but there are real questions about offensive system he's in and his performance against real competition.

Barkley's a good bet to at least be a solid NFL QB. Intangibles are all there, and he's run a pro style offense for 4 years.

I think people are making too big of a deal about his arm being weak; it's not weak, it's just not elite. He's super accurate, though.

I don't know if I like Barkley or not, but I don't think he is too bad. Referring to his arm strength, or lack there of. Not too long ago I was watching a tv program that had Bob Greise on it. He was talking about the Dolphins when he played, and the interviewer got around to his arm strength. I thought it was kind of interesting what he had to say. He commented, that he didnt have the greatest arm strength, and there were others in the league that could throw it longer. He did say, it was not that big of a deal. He compensated for his lack of arm strength, by getting the ball out quicker and anticpating where his receivers were going to be. Made sense to me, and I do remember he was a dang good quarterback.

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9116351)
Not sold on Barkley. Need someone who can perform without uber talent around him.

:facepalm:

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9116353)
Do you have any links to stories about his arrest or arrogance?

www.google.com

petegz28 11-13-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9116371)
:facepalm:

Well the knock I keep hearing about Barkley is he has a stud line and what not. I am not saying he isn't good but how much is him and how much is him being protected by a group of studs? :shrug:

Rasputin 11-13-2012 06:12 PM

The two things I got going against Barkley is one he plays for USC. And two, he wears the #7. God I hate the #7.

That said I think he is cerebral with his throws. He can put the ball on the money and give the WRs best chance to make plays. He has good make to be a top prospect in the NFL that could turn into a top quality QB for long term success. JMO on Barkley.

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9116402)
The two things I got going against Barkley is one he plays for USC. And two, he wears the #7. God I hate the #7.

Dumb

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9116396)
Well the knock I keep hearing about Barkley is he has a stud line and what not. I am not saying he isn't good but how much is him and how much is him being protected by a group of studs? :shrug:

So, Barkley's been a 4 year starter at USC and you've seen NONE of his games?

Thanks for your input, Pete.