ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop acid reflux! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265417)

KC Jones 10-19-2012 07:37 PM

acid reflux!

Somehow, the taste of 3 glasses of wine, 2 beers, 2 cups of mixed nuts, hummus w/ pita, and then a slice of pepperoni pizza really isn't all that appealing the 2nd time around.

:Lin:

Mother****erJones 10-19-2012 07:48 PM

My mom had her acid reflux surgery. Get that. Its painful but worth it

kcxiv 10-19-2012 07:49 PM

haha, i recently turned lactose and its a BITCH, i love diary milk especially and it SUX now days when i drink it. Shit changes as you get older.

Buehler445 10-19-2012 07:56 PM

I've been getting it more frequently. I'm getting old. FML.

Fish 10-19-2012 07:57 PM

Take 2 shots of hydrogen peroxide. It'll neutralize it instantly in a safe and effective manner.

:D :thumb:

LiveSteam 10-19-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9031533)
haha, i recently turned lactose and its a BITCH, i love diary milk especially and it SUX now days when i drink it. Shit changes as you get older.

Me to & it sucks.

RealSNR 10-19-2012 08:36 PM

Anti-freeze should cool your system down.

mikey23545 10-19-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Jones (Post 9031497)
Somehow, the taste of 3 glasses of wine, 2 beers, 2 cups of mixed nuts, hummus w/ pita, and then a slice of pepperoni pizza really isn't all that appealing the 2nd time around.

:Lin:

Been there, redone that.

Priest31kc 10-19-2012 09:12 PM

I've had acid reflux bad since 06...Been taking Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) every day since then.

If I don't take it in the morning before I eat, then I'll have unbearable heartburn all damn day...Sucks!

Lzen 10-19-2012 09:14 PM

I take Pantoprazole (generic Protonix) daily. What a wonderful medicine. Otherwise, I would be in misery every day with reflux.

bevischief 10-20-2012 02:09 AM

Cut sugar and carbs from your diet.

007 10-20-2012 02:10 AM

Been on Prilosec for a few years now. Attempting to get off of it. So far I have been able to go 6 days without needing another dose. Hopefully, I will eventually get all the way off of it.

donkhater 10-20-2012 03:54 AM

I've had it off and on for a while, and I can effectively control it by not over eating and cutting out carbonated drinks, i.e. beer and soft drinks. One every now and then is fine, but I feel it when I go over a certain amount.

MOhillbilly 10-20-2012 06:23 AM

Take a shot of raw Apple cider vinegar and chase it with water.

Or swallow a pea size amount of tooth paste.

Imon Yourside 10-20-2012 06:25 AM

Alkamax works great, been using it for years. Please be weary of those proton pump inhibitors, You need those acids to break down your food and long term exposure can cause cancer.

Chief Roundup 10-20-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9032251)
Been on Prilosec for a few years now. Attempting to get off of it. So far I have been able to go 6 days without needing another dose. Hopefully, I will eventually get all the way off of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9031700)
I take Pantoprazole (generic Protonix) daily. What a wonderful medicine. Otherwise, I would be in misery every day with reflux.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 9031697)
I've had acid reflux bad since 06...Been taking Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) every day since then.

If I don't take it in the morning before I eat, then I'll have unbearable heartburn all damn day...Sucks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9031552)
I've been getting it more frequently. I'm getting old. FML.

If you guys are having a lot of reflux you need to see your physicians probably. My dad waited to go see his until it had damaged his esophagus. He had been on Prilosec for a long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9031526)
My mom had her acid reflux surgery. Get that. Its painful but worth it

My dad had this surgery a year ago and he is happy overall with the results of the operation. What he doesn't like is that he can't puke or burp or anything like that. It has to come out the other end.

dannybcaitlyn 10-20-2012 07:03 AM

I went to a gastro doc about mine and had to get mine scoped. I had a little damage and they also stretched my esophagus. He told me to change the way I eat and put me on some prescribed heartburn meds. I have a appt like next month for a checkup. IF You been having problems get it checked out! You can get cancer in the esophagus from acid reflux.
http://www.ecan.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home

R8RFAN 10-20-2012 07:11 AM

Generic brand of Zantac works best for me.

NewChief 10-20-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9031533)

It may take you a while to get used to the sweetness, but try almond milk. Do not get the Unsweetened or the Vanilla. Get the original.

scho63 10-20-2012 04:18 PM

I have gastritis, GERD, heartburn at night, esophageal corrosion, and a hiatal hernia that was diagnosed 2 months ago during an endoscopy and biopsy. They put me on Nexium and I feel 99% better and don't have any reflux or heartburn at night anymore.

Go get checked out

R8RFAN 10-20-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 9033173)
I have gastritis, GERD, heartburn at night, esophageal corrosion, and a hiatal hernia that was diagnosed 2 months ago during an endoscopy and biopsy. They put me on Nexium and I feel 99% better and don't have any reflux or heartburn at night anymore.

Go get checked out

Hell ya, piss on that heartburn at night... I only get it if I eat late..

R8RFAN 10-20-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9032368)
It may take you a while to get used to the sweetness, but try almond milk. Do not get the Unsweetened or the Vanilla. Get the original.

Thats all we drink over here 99% of the time is Almond Milk... I love the stuff

007 11-12-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9032329)
If you guys are having a lot of reflux you need to see your physicians probably. My dad waited to go see his until it had damaged his esophagus. He had been on Prilosec for a long time.

My dad had this surgery a year ago and he is happy overall with the results of the operation. What he doesn't like is that he can't puke or burp or anything like that. It has to come out the other end.

What exactly is this surgery anyway? My reflux has come back in the worst way. WAking up in the middle of the night choking on bile. Scary as hell. I'm on thyroid meds so taking anything that breaks down my acid directly works against the thyroid med. Its a shitty combo that I can't work around.

TLO 11-12-2017 01:50 PM

What a fun bump!

007 11-12-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13212651)
What a fun bump!

thought about starting a new thread but I already participated in this one and its still relevant.

TLO 11-12-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13212657)
thought about starting a new thread but I already participated in this one and its still relevant.

I'm just messing around. LMAO

Hope you find the answers you seek.

tx4chiefs 11-12-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9031700)

This, and don't eat for a couple hours before bed. When you feel it coming. Sleep with head slightly elevated.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 02:47 PM

Just going to mention it:

A lot of newer clinical information points to PPIs not being nearly as benign as originally believed.

007 11-12-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13212735)

A lot of newer clinical information points to PPIs not being nearly as benign as originally believed.

Yep, they try to avoid putting people on them now. Turns out any acid medication practically cancels out my thyroid meds so I'm in a crap situation right now. Finally found a thyroid med that works really well and I don't want anything screwing with that.

Rasputin 11-12-2017 03:14 PM

Take one Nexium a day.

007 11-12-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13212810)
Take one Nexium a day.

PPIs are no longer considered safe for daily use. Hamas touched on that earlier.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 03:48 PM

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about it, but you really should not be using them for more than two weeks at a time unless you have a specific medical indication for them. Escalate your therapy appropriately. Manage your diet, alcohol, and smoking, start with Tums, escalate to H2RAs like famotidine, ranitidine, and others, and only after they've failed should you start using PPIs.

OnTheWarpath15 11-12-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13212735)

I'm on Omeprazole and my doc does a blood draw every 6 months as he's concerned about it damaging my kidneys.

He doesn't seem to have any other concerns, is there anything else I should be looking for?

007 11-12-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 13212951)
I'm on Omeprazole and my doc does a blood draw every 6 months as he's concerned about it damaging my kidneys.

He doesn't seem to have any other concerns, is there anything else I should be looking for?

I've read that it can effect bone strength later in life.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Check your PMs.

lewdog 11-12-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13212748)
Yep, they try to avoid putting people on them now. Turns out any acid medication practically cancels out my thyroid meds so I'm in a crap situation right now. Finally found a thyroid med that works really well and I don't want anything screwing with that.

Do you do everything in your power to modify your behavior and your diet and it's still a problem?

I tell all my patients with acid reflux to do everything they can to change this themselves, before medication is recommended.

Dartgod 11-12-2017 06:05 PM

Shit, I've been taking Prilosec OTC for years. Nothing else works. Even eating the most bland of diets gives me acid reflux something awful.

headsnap 11-12-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

I was on Omeprazole for the better part of 8 years, it sucked being on that train, I felt like I was a slave to the drug. I googled and read the horror stories of people that tried to quit. I did quit cold turkey, but at the same time I started with daily metamucil drink(mix from the powder). When I took the mucil, the acid reflux was gone, it would come back if I skipped a day. My theory is that the metamucil fiber takes the nasty stuff that hangs out in the stomach and passes it through quickly, kind of like a police officer saying 'nothing to see here, move along.' Now I only take it occasionally. Feel so much better not being dependent on the drug!

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13213185)
Shit, I've been taking Prilosec OTC for years. Nothing else works. Even eating the most bland of diets gives me acid reflux something awful.

Some people will need them regardless. You may be one of those. However, they are overused, and shouldn't just be prophylactic therapy for everyone.

headsnap 11-12-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13213197)
Some people will need them regardless. You may be one of those. However, they are overused, and shouldn't just be prophylactic therapy for everyone.

the problem is that once you are on them, you need them!

007 11-12-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap (Post 13213201)
the problem is that once you are on them, you need them!

Not true. I managed to get off them after 3 years of use. Been off them for the last three years. Don't know why it has come back on me. Only major change is going back to working nights. Not by choice and no quitting isn't an option.

scho63 11-12-2017 07:40 PM

I quit my GERD medication 5 months ago as I keep losing weight. After 70 pounds gone, I have no reflux anymore or heartburn. My hiatal hernia still makes funny popping noises when I walk after drinking a lot of fluid but no pain.

007 11-12-2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13213177)
Do you do everything in your power to modify your behavior and your diet and it's still a problem?

I tell all my patients with acid reflux to do everything they can to change this themselves, before medication is recommended.

As I posted. Mine wasn't a problem until these last couple months. My doc was worthless in helping me 5 years ago because he would refer me to the internet regarding my diet. Would you care to spell it out of better than telling me to research it myself?

lewdog 11-12-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13213451)
As I posted. Mine wasn't a problem until these last couple months. My doc was worthless in helping me 5 years ago because he would refer me to the internet regarding my diet. Would you care to spell it out of better than telling me to research it myself?

Definitely. I have some good handouts at work that I will try to remember to scan so I can send you them.

Can I ask if you are overweight and have recently gained weight?

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13213451)

These can all lower your lower esophageal sphincter tone: Fatty foods, soda, onions, peppermint, chocolate, garlic, and booze,

Citrus, coffee, spicy foods, and tobacco will irritate the mucosa of your stomach.

Avoid using aspirin and ibuprofen, if possible. Don't wear tight-fitting clothes, and lose weight to lessen the pressure on your abdomen. Don't eat w/in 3 hours of bed, and lessen the size of your meals.

There are also a number of medications that can lessen the tone of your lower esophageal sphincter, which will promote reflux.

lewdog 11-12-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13213484)
These can all lower your lower esophageal sphincter tone: Fatty foods, soda, onions, peppermint, chocolate, garlic, and booze,

Citrus, coffee, spicy foods, and tobacco will irritate the mucosa of your stomach.

Avoid using aspirin and ibuprofen, if possible. Don't wear tight-fitting clothes, and lose weight to lessen the pressure on your abdomen. Don't eat w/in 3 hours of bed, and lessen the size of your meals.

There are also a number of medications that can lessen the tone of your lower esophageal sphincter, which will promote reflux.

Add tomatoes (for many), caffeine in general and possible elevating your bed a bit to sleep. The rest of that is good info. Focus on lean meats, exercises and losing weight.

I'll get you a nice handout you can put on your fridge for a good reminder.

MTG#10 11-12-2017 08:14 PM

I have to use ranitidine daily but one 150mg pill lasts all day. I've been doing this for about a year now, should I be concerned about it causing cancer?

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 13213515)
I have to use ranitidine daily but one 150mg pill lasts all day. I've been doing this for about a year now, should I be concerned about it causing cancer?

Ranitidine is a different class of medication. It works on histamine receptors, whereas proton pump inhibitors inhibit the H+/K+ ATPase

headsnap 11-12-2017 09:14 PM

seriously, drink metamucil and it will take care of the acid problem.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap (Post 13213722)
seriously, drink metamucil and it will take care of the acid problem.

There is no literature to support this claim; there is no indication for the use of psylium to treat heartburn, and there are numerous oral agents you can take if you don't want to cause bloating and flatulence.

If you're looking for something to "absorb" the acid, use something that will actually work chemically--an antacid.

If you want something to soothe the lining of your stomach, use alginate, like Gaviscon or faringel.

OnTheWarpath15 11-14-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13213172)
Check your PMs.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

kcxiv 11-14-2017 04:25 PM

I usually just eat an apple and i feel better. works for me most of the time. My only real problem is when i eat tomatoes or drink orange juice, that shit ****s me up. Its not super bad, but its enough to be annoying.

MTG#10 11-14-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13213530)
Ranitidine is a different class of medication. It works on histamine receptors, whereas proton pump inhibitors inhibit the H+/K+ ATPase

Are you a doctor or a pharmacist? Just curious with all of your knowledge on the subject.

007 11-15-2017 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13213467)
Definitely. I have some good handouts at work that I will try to remember to scan so I can send you them.

Can I ask if you are overweight and have recently gained weight?

any further info you can provide would be great. This combo is becoming a real problem for me in that I can't get enough sleep. I've tried the wedge pillow and so far it is not working out well for me. I wake up several times a day because my back hurts. If I can just keep the crap from sneaking up into my throat while sleeping the issue would be easier to deal with.

lewdog 11-15-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13217525)
any further info you can provide would be great. This combo is becoming a real problem for me in that I can't get enough sleep. I've tried the wedge pillow and so far it is not working out well for me. I wake up several times a day because my back hurts. If I can just keep the crap from sneaking up into my throat while sleeping the issue would be easier to deal with.

Can’t PM you the handouts because i can’t attach files through the message system here?