ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Combine's Here, Bitch! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281603)

Direckshun 02-20-2014 01:56 PM

Jim (Memphis)

Whose combine workout are you most wanting to see?

Mel Kiper (2:05 PM)

I would say right now it would be these players: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida; De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon; Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU; Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss; Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame; Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn; Kendall James, CB, Maine; Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State.

Mav 02-20-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10443531)
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout · 1h
Do the #Jaguars expect Justin Blackmon back? "We haven't really thought about it." - Caldwell

There is a good chance if they take Sammy Watkins, I may kick Kittens.

Mav 02-20-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10443534)
Jim (Memphis)

Whose combine workout are you most wanting to see?

Mel Kiper (2:05 PM)

I would say right now it would be these players: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida; De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon; Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU; Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss; Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame; Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn; Kendall James, CB, Maine; Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State.

D'anthony Thomas will probably run a 4.32, and bench the bar 4 times.

Direckshun 02-20-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10443539)
D'anthony Thomas will probably run a 4.32, and bench the bar 4 times.

LMAO

Direckshun 02-20-2014 02:02 PM

@ChrisBurke_SI: Ebron also says he'll run a faster 40 than Gio Bernard did.

Bernard ran a 4.50.

Direckshun 02-20-2014 02:10 PM

Interesting:

Quote:

Short-Area Quickness

When looking for drills whose top performers tend to have the best future success for specific position groups, two stood out.

First is the 20-yard shuttle for offensive linemen.

Though it fails to account for upper-body strength and skills, the 20-yard shuttle effectively showcases which offensive linemen have an ability to bend, plant, and burst quickly in their lower body as well as move in open space. This is important because nimble linemen can react and redirect against quick-twitch pass rushers. Since 2006, Eagles C Jason Kelce, Colts C Samson Satele, Panthers C Ryan Kalil, Patriots OT Nate Solder, Jets C Nick Mangold, Colts OT Anthony Castonzo, Redskins C Will Montgomery, Vikings G Brandon Fusco, Chiefs T Eric Fisher and long time T Eric Winston make up 10 of the top 14 clocked times in the 20-yard shuttle.

Not all of these offensive linemen are stars, but they have all played at a high level or have displayed promise early on in their careers.

In 2013, we saw the likes of Fisher, Lane Johnson, Terron Armstead, Kyle Long, and Jonathan Cooper display great movement skills for a heavy-set position. I doubt we see that along the offensive line again this year. All eyes will be on Auburn’s Greg Robinson, and I would be shocked if he is not the first offensive lineman off the board in May. Other easy movers could include North Dakota State’s Billy Turner, Clemson’s Brandon Thomas, Furman’s Dakota Dozier and UCLA’s Xavier Su’a-Filo

The other test that projects future success better than others is the 3-cone drill for edge players.

Much is made of a pass rusher's initial upfield get-off, but an ability to plant and quickly change direction can be equally effective. The 3-cone drill puts different types of pass rushers on an equal playing field. Since 2006, pass rushers like the Cardinals’ Sam Acho, Seahawks’ Bruce Irvin, Chargers’ Melvin Ingram, Browns’ Barkevious Mingo, Eagles’ Connor Barwin, Texans’ J.J. Watt, Lions’ Devin Taylor and Vikings’ Brian Robison make up eight of the top 10 times in the “DL” group, all running under a 6.90. The Seahawks’ Cliff Avril is also in the next grouping.

Von Miller would also fit in this grouping but worked out with “LBs,” and Clay Matthews is in Avril’s category after posting a 6.90.

CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman noted South Dakota edge player Tyler Starr is hoping to shatter these numbers. Not only does Starr want to break Sam Acho’s 6.69, he wants to break the Combine record (since 2006) of 6.42 seconds run by wide receiver Jeff Maehl. If an edge prospect does not waste movement and combines that agility, bend and balance with meaningful hand use and strength, watch out. The Patriots are one team that values the 3-cone times, not only for the positions previously listed but also for cornerbacks.

Along with Starr, take note of UCLA’s Anthony Barr, Buffalo’s Khalil Mack, Georgia Tech’s Jeremiah Attaochu, Auburn’s Dee Ford, Boise State’s Demarcus Lawrence, South Carolina’s Jadeveon Clowney and one final edge player who fits in my next category…
Incidentally:

Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft · 1m
Belichick is now breaking down combine drills. He seems to value the three-cone.

OldSchool 02-20-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10443562)
Interesting:

Incidentally:

Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft · 1m
Belichick is now breaking down combine drills. He seems to value the three-cone.

I'm really intrigued by Starr. He reportedly clocked a 6.29 3 cone drill in training and his quickness and ability to accelerate does show up in the limited tape that I saw of him (draftbreakdown). He's just really raw and looks indecisive a lot of the time; he also needs to improve his strength because he gets driven back fairly easily in the run game.

Direckshun 02-20-2014 02:26 PM

2014 NFL Combine Rumors: Thursday, Feb. 20, 3:05 p.m.
By Tony Pauline, http://draftinsider.net/

The 2014 NFL Combine kicks-off with the first workouts starting this Saturday. Its also the unofficial start of free agency. Who's expected to surprise scouts this weekend? And where may some of the top free agent tackles land? Here's the Thursday edition of Combine News & Notes.

Chicago Bears:
I gushed over Aaron Donald's performance at the Senior Bowl and have been told to expect much of the same during his combine workout on Monday. Donald, a 500+ pound bench presser, is expected to total in the mid 30's on the bench then run his forty somewhere in the 4.7's after tipping the scales in the low 290-pound area. I'm told Donald will also put up some pretty spectacular times in the agility drills. Where could Donald end up in May? After the combine we said teams late in the first round would have to start giving the Pittsburgh lineman consideration but recent rumblings have the Chicago Bears very interested in his services with the 14th pick of round one.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
Most mock drafts have the Tampa Bay Buccaneers selecting a tackle with the 7th pick of the draft. But free agency may negate that opinion. I'm told you can expect the Buccaneers to be big players in the Branden Albert sweepstakes if the Kansas City Chiefs don't resign sign him as expected. It should come as no surprise but the other NFL team from Florida, the Miami Dolphins, are also expected to be suitors for Albert if he hits the free agent market.

New York Jets:
As I posted on Twitter yesterday, the New York Jets will meet with representatives of Austin Howard at the combine in the coming days with the hopes of locking up their starting right tackle. I'm told the Jets are making Howard a priority, and as first reported in New York papers a week ago, the team has already sent off an initial offer. How much will Howard receive? Yesterday a league insider told me it could be similar to the deal Phil Loadholt signed with the Minnesota Vikings almost a year ago.

St. Louis Rams:
It's a similar situation with Rodger Saffold and the St Louis Rams, so I'm told. The team met with Saffold's agents last month and are expected to sit down with them again in Indianapolis.

Tennessee Titans:
The top cornerback in free agency is expected to be Alterraun Verner. Recent reports state the Tennessee Titans won't place a franchise tag on their coveted defensive back. Insiders tell me Verner is expected to sign a free agent contract that will start at $9 million annually.

Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson:
Forty times of the receivers are always something to watch and I'm told the wide out who could surprise everyone is Martavis Bryant of Clemson. Bryant, who goes an unofficial 6-feet, 5-inches, is expected to run in the low 4.3's and could even breach the high 4.2's.

Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado:
I'm told Paul Richardson of Colorado is expected to run faster than expected and could break into the 4.3's. Scouts I've spoken with compare Richardson's style to Philadelphia Eagles wide out DeSean Jackson, though not quite as fast.

Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois:
Jimmie Ward of Northern Illinois is one of our favorite defensive backs but his size and athleticism are questioned. I'm told Ward, who lined up at both cornerback and safety at NIU, will pleasantly surprise NFL decision makers on Tuesday.

Richard Rodgers, TE, California:
I'm told Cal tight end Richard Rodgers will tip the scales around 265-pounds and is expected to run in the 4.7-area. Low 4.7's could seal him as a 4th rounder.

jonzie04 02-20-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10443480)
Longest arms of the Combine, it's official: Kansas State's Cornelius "Luke" Lucas, who's over 6'8", has nearly 37" arms, lol.

My god. Too bad he's slow as molasses.

Mother of god.

Dante84 02-20-2014 03:06 PM

Lets go ahead and sticky this.

Surely we can get rid of one of the 2013 threads up there.

jonzie04 02-20-2014 03:18 PM

Read on that walterfootball site you posted the chiefs were interested in christian jones . Hed br a hell of a pick up in the 3rd!

Direckshun 02-20-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 10443636)
Lets go ahead and sticky this.

Surely we can get rid of one of the 2013 threads up there.

We'd need one of the mods to give enough of a shit about the Draft to read this forum.

Direckshun 02-20-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzie04 (Post 10443659)
Read on that walterfootball site you posted the chiefs were interested in christian jones . Hed br a hell of a pick up in the 3rd!

Ugh. Does not seem to fit our defense at all.

htismaqe 02-20-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10443578)
Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois:
Jimmie Ward of Northern Illinois is one of our favorite defensive backs but his size and athleticism are questioned. I'm told Ward, who lined up at both cornerback and safety at NIU, will pleasantly surprise NFL decision makers on Tuesday.

Me likey.

Dante84 02-20-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10443671)
We'd need one of the mods to give enough of a shit about the Draft to read this forum.

we can always try flagging/reporting the thread so they see the request