ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Victoria's Secret Show Angers Native Americans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266523)

listopencil 11-14-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9118465)
I did and it seemed factual but I noticed it was a humor site so I had to ask.

I found the bit about the Vikings interesting. I had heard they had sailed to Nova Scotia as early as 1200 AD but never heard of any encounters with the natives, and definitely not as early as 960 AD.

There just so much information, and with that misinformation, out there. I wish I could know it all!

Leif Ericson.

ThaVirus 11-14-2012 01:27 PM

I wonder how things would have turned out had the Native Americans had resistances to Old World diseases.

The whole ordeal would have taken a lot longer, that's for sure. Assuming the tribes were able to band together for a common cause, we might have seen an infusion of white settlers into Native societies as opposed to what happened..

vailpass 11-14-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9118348)
My dad took me up there as a teen. It's an incredible experience. Especially if you've been spoon fed "history" like I was as a child. Here is this city created in a cliff. As complex as a European castle. Built by "savages."

Savages? I don't think anyone has said or thought that since the days of the Wild Wild West have they?

MagicHef 11-14-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9118488)
I wonder how things would have turned out had the Native Americans had resistances to Old World diseases.

The whole ordeal would have taken a lot longer, that's for sure. Assuming the tribes were able to band together for a common cause, we might have seen an infusion of white settlers into Native societies as opposed to what happened..

White people in North America would be like white people in the other places England tried to expand into (India, China, Africa): a small minority.

listopencil 11-14-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9118491)
Savages? I don't think anyone has said or thought that since the days of the Wild Wild West have they?

When I was a child the common thread was that these people were a small step above cavemen, and benefited greatly from our civilizing influence.

vailpass 11-14-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9118531)
White people in North America would be like white people in the other places England tried to expand into (India, China, Africa): a small minority.

Big difference between North America at the time and the others you name here.

MagicHef 11-14-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9118536)
Big difference between North America at the time and the others you name here.

Yes, ~90% of the people in North America had just been wiped out by the worst plague in human history. That didn't happen in India, China, or Africa.

vailpass 11-14-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9118535)
When I was a child the common thread was that these people were a small step above cavemen, and benefited greatly from our civilizing influence.

That's horrible.

vailpass 11-14-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9118562)
Yes, ~90% of the people in North America had just been wiped out by the worst plague in human history. That didn't happen in India, China, or Africa.

What were the populations of those other three countries vs. NA?

Do you not agree that there are non-plague related reasons the natives in NA weren't equipped to resist colonization.

Bwana 11-14-2012 02:11 PM

Geez, they need to get a grip. :shake: Some people like to bitch, just to bitch.

MagicHef 11-14-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9118581)
What were the populations of those other three countries vs. NA?

Do you not agree that there are non-plague related reasons the natives in NA weren't equipped to resist colonization.

From a quick Google search, so they may not be super accurate, but populations in 1600:

China: 231-250 million
India: 100 million
Africa: 50 million
North America: ~100 million (before plague)

Also, the English and the like had been trying to colonize North America for at least 150 years, and had failed. The Vikings had been trying for 500 years.

listopencil 11-14-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9118573)
That's horrible.

Well, it could be regional. I was born in Virginia. We moved to Texas the Summer before I started elementary school, I did not go to kindergarten or day care. We moved back to Virginia the Summer before I started Jr. High School. I moved to Colorado during High School. I think that gave me an atypical education and made me more aware of prejudice that might otherwise have gone unnoticed.

Virginia: The Pilgrims created our country with the help of the Founding Fathers. Along the way we showed the Indians how to bathe and act like civilized men. Afterwards, the state of Virginia defeated the British.

Texas: Texas was already here. It's always been here. By the time the Easterners made it out this far we had already killed off all of our Indians and were busy eating cows and killing Spaniards/Mexicans.

Colorado: Well, yeah, what we did to the Indians was pretty ****ed up. But it's not like we're going to stop here and give all of their shit back. We kept some of their stuff around. You can go see it.

Frosty 11-14-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9118625)
Virginia: The Pilgrims created our country with the help of the Founding Fathers. Along the way we showed the Indians how to bathe and act like civilized men. Afterwards, the state of Virginia defeated the British.

The funny thing is that the English actually didn't believe in bathing then and the Natives thought they were disgusting.

listopencil 11-14-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9118640)
The funny thing is that the English actually didn't believe in bathing then and the Natives thought they were disgusting.

No, don't go introducing facts into history. You'll mess it up.

vailpass 11-14-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9118625)
Well, it could be regional. I was born in Virginia. We moved to Texas the Summer before I started elementary school, I did not go to kindergarten or day care. We moved back to Virginia the Summer before I started Jr. High School. I moved to Colorado during High School. I think that gave me an atypical education and made me more aware of prejudice that might otherwise have gone unnoticed.

Texas: Texas was already here. It's always been here. By the time the Easterners made it out this far we had already killed off all of our Indians and were busy eating cows and killing Spaniards/Mexicans.

Colorado: Well, yeah, what we did to the Indians was pretty ****ed up. But it's not like we're going to stop here and give all of their shit back. We kept some of their stuff around. You can go see it.

I can see how those viewpoints would have come about. Growing up in Iowa we had Indian (native american) influence all over. Lots of our towns, rivers, creeks, counties were named with Indian names. We went to Cherokee, IA to see the rain dancers. We grew up knowing and learning how resourceful a people the midwest Indian was; how large their culture was, how sad that they had gone.