ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Ice climbing in Ouray, CO (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=346066)

Mile High Mania 11-14-2022 09:26 AM

Ice climbing in Ouray, CO

Question... has anyone here been ice climbing before? A buddy of mine and my oldest son are going to Ouray in December for 5 days. Doing a guided ice climb and we have a list of things to account for, just curious if anyone here has any experience or guidance for rookies.

Aside from two 50+ year old guys trying to keep up with my 21 year old son and not making complete fools of ourselves, I think it's going to be a fun trip.

ptlyon 11-14-2022 09:32 AM

Never been ice climbing before. Wouldn't know the first thing about it.

So when one pulls up to the wall of ice, does one day to another, "Now that's some mighty fine ice!"?

OKchiefs 11-14-2022 09:34 AM

Never been ice climbing, but Ouray is a cool town.

Mile High Mania 11-14-2022 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 16603230)

Yeah, we went through there 2 summers ago and read about the ice climbing festival and my son said "we have to try that".

While we're not going to the festival, think that's in March, this was a trip we pulled the trigger on. My son does rock climbing, so I'm sure he's set up for success much better than us.

Holladay 11-14-2022 10:09 AM

Bring gloves and a hat

Mile High Mania 11-14-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 16603336)
Bring gloves and a hat

Ha... to say the least, it will be amazingly cold.

Graystoke 11-14-2022 10:13 AM

Never been ice climbing in Ouray. Great town.
This is how we do it in Iowa.
[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iE2SsShdQPU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

Zebedee DuBois 11-14-2022 10:34 AM

Is there something at the top that is worth climbing the ice for?

An Andy Reid endorsed cheeseburger, perhaps?

JohnnyHammersticks 11-14-2022 11:36 AM

Never done it but saw lots of clips of people doing it when I lived in Colorado and it looks like it would be very cool.

fan4ever 11-14-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

It sure is.

Frazod 11-14-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Yes it is. Beautiful area.

Pro tip: if you go to the hot springs, which looks like a big divided swimming pool, keep in mind that only one of the areas is heated by the spring, and if you jump in wrong side in mid-May, well, you'll know exactly how the Titanic passengers felt. :eek:

JohnnyHammersticks 11-14-2022 11:59 AM

Good thread to throw this out there since it's just over the bend from Ouray and is also a really cool town.

Telluride Bluegrass Festival is the best music festival in the country and the best time you'll ever have if you set it up right. Doesn't matter what types of music you like, you'll LOVE IT. It's incredible. But to set it up right you absolutely have to be on it a year in advance.

'Setting it up right' entails getting the 4-day pass to the festival, renting a house in downtown Telluride, and getting tickets to all the late-night shows at Sheridan Opera House and Last Dollar Saloon. It ain't cheap, but man is it worth it.

seclark 11-14-2022 12:13 PM

Did somebody **** up the music?
sec

digger 11-14-2022 12:22 PM

Are you planning to take Russell Wilson with you?

Otter 11-14-2022 12:38 PM

Never done but if your buddy is driving in from low elevation tell him to give the vehicle a good tune up before driving in. Especially the air filter.

You see a lot of drivers waiting for triple A with Nebraska and surrounding states license plates.

You getting a guide or gonna go commando?

Have fun!