ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life The Crud (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268611)

luv 01-08-2013 09:09 AM

The Crud

I'm on round two. I never get sick this much! Missed work today, but, thankfully, my doc can fit me in this afternoon. I've got derby practice starting tonight. First bout is in a month. I cannot be sick!

Misery loves company. Anyone else sharing in my misery?

Renegade 01-08-2013 09:21 AM

Cheer up, it could always be worse

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268142

KurtCobain 01-08-2013 09:23 AM

Round one hospitalized me. Cost me out the ass. Round two could do me in, so no thank you.

luv 01-08-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 9295831)

Ha! I didn't even think to look. I figured only I would start something like this. My bad.

frankotank 01-08-2013 09:26 AM

so I'm curious....did you get a flu shot this year? I know it isn't a full proof preventative, but just wondering. my wife nagged me into getting one. taking a multi vitamin and a vitamin C every day. I get sick if someone looks at me the wrong way....but so far so good!

Imon Yourside 01-08-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9295814)
I'm on round two. I never get sick this much! Missed work today, but, thankfully, my doc can fit me in this afternoon. I've got derby practice starting tonight. First bout is in a month. I cannot be sick!

Misery loves company. Anyone else sharing in my misery?

My wife is halfway around the world and has a chest infection, probably more miserable in her 70 degree climate than she would here in the 30's.

KurtCobain 01-08-2013 09:27 AM

I couldn't even go in the sneeze/sharting thread. I like this one better.

luv 01-08-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9295840)
so I'm curious....did you get a flu shot this year? I know it isn't a full proof preventative, but just wondering. my wife nagged me into getting one. taking a multi vitamin and a vitamin C every day. I get sick if someone looks at me the wrong way....but so far so good!

I usually do, but I haven't the last couple of years.

frankotank 01-08-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9295850)
I usually do, but I haven't the last couple of years.

interestingly enough, the last few years I've blown thru several sick days in the first weeks of January. got a flu shot in December and so for so good.
coincidence? maybe.

J Diddy 01-08-2013 09:34 AM

First my kid got some funk and then I did. About done with my antibiotics and starting to feel better, just in time to start classes again.

This ****ing winter break sucked big balls.

crossbow 01-08-2013 09:40 AM

Slam down at least a quart of grape juice, lay flat on your back and pee as much as you can (yeah, you have to get up for this part). Something in the grapes is a killer antioxidant. Laying flat helps get the juice into your kidneys and pissing flushes the germs out.

phisherman 01-08-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9295840)

Flu shots are a money grab. I'm not going to go all anti-vax wingnut here, but honestly, flu shots protect you from very few of the various flu strains and their protection against those is moderate at best.

Exercise, wash your hands regularly, and eat right and your chances of avoiding the flu are pretty comparable.

alnorth 01-08-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 9295878)
Flu shots are a money grab. I'm not going to go all anti-vax wingnut here, but honestly, flu shots protect you from very few of the various flu strains and their protection against those is moderate at best.

Exercise, wash your hands regularly, and eat right and your chances of avoiding the flu are pretty comparable.

Many people don't have to pay for the flu shot. I got mine for free at work.

For those who do, you are talking about a few measley little bucks. The flu is such a terrible inconvenience, its worth it.

ChiTown 01-08-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9295914)
Many people don't have to pay for the flu shot. I got mine for free at work.

For those who do, you are talking about a few measley little bucks. The flu is such a terrible inconvenience, its worth it.

I've never had a flu shot. I'm not sure why I haven't taken the time to do it, other than I generally don't get sick.

alnorth 01-08-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9295917)
I've never had a flu shot. I'm not sure why I haven't taken the time to do it, other than I generally don't get sick.

Generally, if you don't get a flu shot, you can expect to get the flu maybe once every 5 or 6 years. Maybe as seldom as 8. So, 4 or 5 times out of 6 years, its a complete waste. (Then of course, for those years when you may be exposed to the flu and it could help, sometimes they guess wrong on which flu to immunize against that year)

So really, getting flu shots may only prevent the flu once a decade or so. Since the flu shot is so cheap, and the flu is so awful (the real flu, not a cold, a lot of people get a cold and think "the flu isn't so bad"), its still worth it.

Just because you don't get sick often doesn't mean you have some magical super-protection against the flu, unless your immune system is shot, you aren't supposed to get sick very often.