ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How much effort do you put into voting? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287912)

DaFace 10-29-2014 11:01 AM

How much effort do you put into voting?

I spent a few hours last night voting for this year's elections (mail ballot). I have no idea what's typical, but there were probably a total of 20 different races (governor, senator, house rep, and a ton of state-level offices), about 15 different judges that I had to vote to retain or give the boot, and probably 7-8 ballot issues (state and local) to vote on.

I always approach it from the perspective of making an informed decision, so I spent at least a few minutes on each of the ballot issues making sure I understood the arguments for/against (using the "blue book" put out by the state). The judges are always pretty straightforward - I just mainly go through the recommendations in our little guide and go with those unless there's someone who has been contentious.

For the big races, I even spent a few minutes reading about the opinions of each candidate and tried to come to an informed decision on those too. But after a while, you can hardly even find information on some of the tiny races like county commissioner and the like, so I inevitably eventually end up just voting party line on some of those (though I kind of feel bad about it).

So...how much effort do you put into it?

(P.S. Let's keep this a-political if possible. This is about the process - not the parties involved.)

Bl00dyBizkitz 10-29-2014 11:04 AM

Admittedly, I don't vote.

So none.

CaliforniaChief 10-29-2014 11:05 AM

A lot. It's important. People die for my right to do it. It matters.

Scorp 10-29-2014 11:06 AM

I watched this video, does that count?
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hqDBz4M9Jkg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Katipan 10-29-2014 11:07 AM

We paid $1.40 for the privilege.

The Franchise 10-29-2014 11:08 AM

I work in elections. We repeatedly get turnouts in the 20-30% range. Add in the fact that people have no clue about registering to vote. No matter how much outreach there is....people are dumb when it comes to voting.

Dayze 10-29-2014 11:09 AM

I've never voted.

The Franchise 10-29-2014 11:09 AM

And none of it matters anyways. People will religiously vote along party lines. It doesn't matter who is running and how much of an asshole they are. THEN add in that politicians make the reading material long and confusing on purpose.....and this is what you get.

temper11 10-29-2014 11:10 AM

I'm probably in between 3 and 4. I went ahead and selected 3 for the poll because I tend to be self-deprecating in that way. It varies from election year to election year and with how much time I put into it.

BigMeatballDave 10-29-2014 11:11 AM

It's pointless.

Unless there is serious change in DC, voting is a complete waste.

The current 2-party system is a dumpster fire.

The blind reeruns that vote party only are as much to blame as the ****stick politicians.

**** each and everyone who only votes for a party, or for religious purposes.

Katipan 10-29-2014 11:17 AM

All that may be true but I had to let Pit Bulls back in.

Donger 10-29-2014 11:18 AM

I have a person who does this for me.

TrebMaxx 10-29-2014 11:24 AM

I do my research so that I know what I am voting for. It does seem at times it doesn't really matter but I feel better about myself that I did.

jimidollar 10-29-2014 11:26 AM

I think voting is pointless. However, I still do it because it takes two minutes of my time. This year I voted mostly Libertarian with a few Republicans mixed in as well. Voting was a lot more fun when I could pull the lever for Ron Paul. Now I'm represented by a ****ing walrus.

Fire Me Boy! 10-29-2014 11:27 AM

Well informed. However, I refused to vote in 2012 Presidential as I refused to cast a vote for the "lesser of two evils" candidate. I'd like a candidate I can actually support rather than the one I dislike the least.

Hammock Parties 10-29-2014 11:28 AM

It's for suckers.

Coochie liquor 10-29-2014 11:41 AM

This is the first year I've voted, and only did so because I'm voting for leagization of medical marijuana. As for the rest I voted all independent. Unless there wasn't one, then I wrote in Bob Marley!

BWillie 10-29-2014 11:58 AM

I don't vote in presidential elections, because I live in Kansas, and my vote literally does not matter. But for the senate & gubernatorial ones I do a little research, probably more than most. For the more local ones, I don't vote or put anything down for them because I have no idea who they are. I know most people just blindly click the guy with the "R" or "D" next to it. Really helping out society there guys, just blindly picking the R or the D.

gblowfish 10-29-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 11066929)
A lot. It's important. People die for my right to do it. It matters.

This.

When I was 18, my dad made me go register to vote. He said he didn't freeze his ass shooting at the Chinese in Korea for his son not exercise the freedom he fought for.

I've made sure to vote ever since. Don't think I've missed a Presidential or Mid-Term election ever.

cosmo20002 10-29-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimidollar (Post 11066976)
I think voting is pointless. However, I still do it because it takes two minutes of my time. This year I voted mostly Libertarian with a few Republicans mixed in as well. Voting was a lot more fun when I could pull the lever for Ron Paul. Now I'm represented by a ****ing walrus.

It was pointless in your case.

cosmo20002 10-29-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 11066915)
So...how much effort do you put into it?

Hardly any effort is needed. There's tons of campaign ads on TV, so I just listen to those and get most of the info I need.

On important stuff like County Water Commissioner, I'll research on the internet until I feel like I can make an informed decision.

BigMeatballDave 10-29-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11066980)
Well informed. However, I refused to vote in 2012 Presidential as I refused to cast a vote for the "lesser of two evils" candidate. I'd like a candidate I can actually support rather than the one I dislike the least.

Exactly

MahiMike 10-29-2014 12:06 PM

One crook from column A, one crook from column B...

BigMeatballDave 10-29-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11067068)
Hardly any effort is needed. There's tons of campaign ads on TV, so I just listen to those and get most of the info I need.

On important stuff like County Water Commissioner, I'll research on the internet until I feel like I can make an informed decision.

LMAO Sheep

Fairplay 10-29-2014 12:08 PM

I ask cosmo who he is going to vote for then I vote the opposite.

Steron 10-29-2014 12:12 PM

I vote in each election. I put in the work to find out where each one stands on the issues that are important to me. The ones I don't know, I either don't vote for or I cast a vote along the party line. I have to believe that the candidate with the same affiliation as me has at least the same core values. Well, they are supposed to.

ptlyon 10-29-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 11067091)
I vote in each election. I put in the work to find out where each one stands on the issues that are important to me. The ones I don't know, I either don't vote for or I cast a vote along the party line. I have to believe that the candidate with the same affiliation as me has at least the same core values. Well, they are supposed to.

Yay buddy, Mr. Bill Clinton

jimidollar 10-29-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 11067058)
This.

When I was 18, my dad made be go register to vote. He said he didn't freeze his ass shooting at the Chinese in Korea for his son not exercise the freedom he fought for.

I've made sure to vote ever since. Don't think I've missed a Presidential or Mid-Term election ever.

I'm confused. How did shooting at Chinese in Korea protect your right to vote?

Iconic 10-29-2014 12:29 PM

None because it doesn't matter.

Molitoth 10-29-2014 12:41 PM

I research the Issues/Amendments/etc and vote on those, but have little care for what figure head is in office just doing what their funding party want them to do.

stumppy 10-29-2014 12:42 PM

I try to vote in every one of Rainmans polls.

Molitoth 10-29-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11067074)
LMAO Sheep

lol I think your sarcasm meter is broken.

ptlyon 10-29-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 11067195)
I try to vote in every one of Rainmans polls.

Party line guy, eh?

gblowfish 10-29-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimidollar (Post 11067147)
I'm confused. How did shooting at Chinese in Korea protect your right to vote?

If you don't understand that, I can't help you.

stumppy 10-29-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 11067211)
Party line guy, eh?

I am a patriot.

stumppy 10-29-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

This.

When I was 18, my dad made me go register to vote. He said he didn't freeze his ass shooting at the Chinese in Korea for his son not exercise the freedom he fought for.

I'm with you on this. Although my Dad died when I was 6 months old I have always looked at voting as one of the ways I can honor what he did for our country. He fought in WWII and the Korean war.

-King- 10-29-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 11067216)
If you don't understand that, I can't help you.

Eh. I don't get it either. Were the Chinese planing to take away our rights to vote or something?

mikey23545 10-29-2014 01:47 PM

I just got through last night doing online research on the judges that were up to be retained or not, as well as some of the state level candidates I was unfamiliar with.

I too voted by mail since I am still recovering from surgery that would make it difficult for me to stand in line for a long time like I did a couple of years ago.

DaFace 10-29-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 11067346)
I just got through last night doing online research on the judges that were up to be retained or not, as well as some of the state level candidates I was unfamiliar with.

I too voted by mail since I am still recovering from surgery that would make it difficult for me to stand in line for a long time like I did a couple of years ago.

I honestly don't know that I would be able to put the same amount of effort into it if I didn't do mail ballot these days. I can't imagine trying to do all the research in advance and remember everything (though I suppose you could go in with a cheat sheet). Still, there always ends up being something on there that you weren't thinking of.

I just wish there were better information out there one some of the minor races. I hate just going with a party line, but there are some races where there's not much else to even go on.

The Franchise 10-29-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 11067363)
I honestly don't know that I would be able to put the same amount of effort into it if I didn't do mail ballot these days. I can't imagine trying to do all the research in advance and remember everything (though I suppose you could go in with a cheat sheet). Still, there always ends up being something on there that you weren't thinking of.

I just wish there were better information out there one some of the minor races. I hate just going with a party line, but there are some races where there's not much else to even go on.

That's why we send out sample ballot books 30 days before the election. You're allowed to mark the "ballot" that is in the book and bring it with you.

MTG#10 10-29-2014 02:49 PM

I only vote in the major elections, and always vote third party...usually for the Libertarian candidates but not always.

vailpass 10-29-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 11067396)
That's why we send out sample ballot books 30 days before the election. You're allowed to mark the "ballot" that is in the book and bring it with you.

Bingo. Bango. Bongo.

ptlyon 10-29-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 11067508)
I only vote in the major elections, and always vote third party...usually for the Libertarian candidates but not always.

Bet you'll be excited when Ellen Degeneres runs

ClevelandBronco 10-29-2014 02:54 PM

How much effort do you put into voting?

The ballot will sit on my desk until the election is over. Then I'll destroy it. So some effort, but not a lot.

mikeyis4dcats. 10-29-2014 03:23 PM

I vote by mail. Generally I'm aware enough to easily decide on everything but judicial retention. For that I consult a guide published that gives survey results from attorneys and also from judges on each candidate. Those with a less than 75% ratng get looked into as to why they may be contentious.

luv 10-29-2014 03:29 PM

I'd say I'm a 4. I always vote, as I believe it is an important civil duty, But I'm not always informed on every issue.

gblowfish 10-29-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11067330)
Eh. I don't get it either. Were the Chinese planing to take away our rights to vote or something?

Now they're planning that by building every goddamn thing we buy.
When we have to pay up, we're gonna be screwed.
Then we'll probably be shooting at them again.

Rausch 10-29-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 11067610)
I'd say I'm a 4. I always vote, as I believe it is an important civil duty, But I'm not always informed on every issue.

Pretty much this.

Mostly listen to find out if any of the local props are insanely stupid or if I even care. Do general research on local politicians.

DaFace 10-29-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11067594)
I vote by mail. Generally I'm aware enough to easily decide on everything but judicial retention. For that I consult a guide published that gives survey results from attorneys and also from judges on each candidate. Those with a less than 75% ratng get looked into as to why they may be contentious.

Yeah, same here. People tend to skew on the side of retaining people, so if there's a significant portion of people who say they shouldn't be retained, I tend to believe it's probably best that they get replaced.

Deberg_1990 10-29-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 11066938)
I work in elections. We repeatedly get turnouts in the 20-30% range. Add in the fact that people have no clue about registering to vote. No matter how much outreach there is....people are dumb when it comes to voting.

Obviously most people only turn out for the big national elections every 4 years.

Even that I've heard is only about 50% of eligible voters.

rabblerouser 10-29-2014 03:56 PM

I vote in local and municipal elections, I guess because I'm under the assumption that it could still make some sort of difference...

I don't vote for Presidents anymore. It's just a ****ing joke.

LoneWolf 10-29-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

This.

The Korean conflict was fought for our right to vote? Maybe your dad should have opened a few history books while sitting in his foxhole.

bigjosh 10-29-2014 04:35 PM

I do a decent job of researching what I'm voting for. I don't bother doing research on shit like school superintendent or anything like that. But as for the people that can affect my life in this shitty state I always do my research.

Honestly I don't know why I bother, democrats usually win by a huge margin. We haven't had a gop senator or representative in like 25 years or something.

Bugeater 10-29-2014 04:58 PM

I used to vote religiously until I realized all politicians are the same lying, corrupt assholes, just with different names.

The Franchise 10-29-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11067668)
Obviously most people only turn out for the big national elections every 4 years.

Even that I've heard is only about 50% of eligible voters.

You'd be surprised. Even those elections are somewhat low. Right now we're having the Gubernatorial election in CA and we're expecting a 28% turnout. CA has historically bad turnouts and voter registration numbers though.

hometeam 10-29-2014 05:55 PM

I keep pretty up to date on issues, candidates less.

Unless I have a reason to vote for a candidate, I wont vote for them. That means If its dipshit A vs dipshit B, I vote for neither.