ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports OKC Thunder trade James Harden to Houston (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265791)

ChiefsCountry 10-29-2012 12:11 AM

Now at the tradeline you flip Martin and those 1sts for something even better.

Archie F. Swin 10-29-2012 06:35 AM

IIRC...Harden was not much of a factor in the Finals. Of course, he got his shit rocked by Meta World Puss before that.

Predarat 10-29-2012 08:45 AM

Not sure if I like this trade, its decent for the long term, but they were not too far from winning it all last season so this makes little sense. I don't follow the NBA much until the playoffs so I may be off base.

DJ's left nut 10-29-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9055735)
its a good trade in the long run. short term maybe not. HE did NOT pull a Pioli.

He pulled a Belichick.

When Belichick traded Richard Seymour, he really hurt his team's chance to win a championship that year (and potentially undermined it altogether). He got very good value for the player, a guy he knew was likely to walk anyway, but in the process he took a very valuable contributor from his roster and diminished his championship chances substantially that season.

Presti did the same here. I'm not convinced that the Thunder a championship caliber team without Harden. Just like that Patriots team, they still have their motor and they still have his top dog running mate. They still have the look of a team that can win it all.

But the Pats desperately needed Seymour down the stretch and his absence was glaringly obvious against the Pats toughest opposition.

I applaud Presti for getting nice value for his player (though it's the NBA; first round picks past 10 are about like 3rd round picks in the NFL). That said, I almost wonder if he shouldn't have just held onto Harden, made his championship push and then done a sign/trade for less overall value in the offseason (but get one more season of Harden out of it).

58-4ever 10-29-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9061980)
He pulled a Belichick.

When Belichick traded Richard Seymour, he really hurt his team's chance to win a championship that year (and potentially undermined it altogether). He got very good value for the player, a guy he knew was likely to walk anyway, but in the process he took a very valuable contributor from his roster and diminished his championship chances substantially that season.

Presti did the same here. I'm not convinced that the Thunder a championship caliber team without Harden. Just like that Patriots team, they still have their motor and they still have his top dog running mate. They still have the look of a team that can win it all.

But the Pats desperately needed Seymour down the stretch and his absence was glaringly obvious against the Pats toughest opposition.

I applaud Presti for getting nice value for his player (though it's the NBA; first round picks past 10 are about like 3rd round picks in the NFL). That said, I almost wonder if he shouldn't have just held onto Harden, made his championship push and then done a sign/trade for less overall value in the offseason (but get one more season of Harden out of it).

These are all strong points. However, one of those first rounder picks is a guaranteed lottery pick, so who knows how well that will go.

Secondly, Harden was valuable because he was a strong scorer when Westbrook and Durant needed a breather. He became "the man" during those times and often opened up the game because of his ability to dish the ball.

Overall, I agree with your point that the Thunder are probably a little worse now, but Martin will score and provide a punch off the bench, and I'll rely on the past and future success of Presti in the draft. He did get Serge in the 20s.

DJ's left nut 10-30-2012 03:04 PM

Simmons weighs in:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...arden-disaster

I agree with him - this just wasn't a good deal for Oklahoma City.

vailpass 10-30-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9055702)
I still like Harden. I think it's more about wanting to be the guy than money. I'm honestly not sure he's good enough to be the guy.

The worst thing about Thunder fans is many are OU fans, and yes they are whinny bitches. That goes for pretty much all fan bases though.

Be interesting to see how Harden does when he is running with Jeremy Lynn and whoever else Houston has instead of Durantula and Westbrook.

ChiefsCountry 10-30-2012 03:07 PM

History says Durant wasn't going to win anyway until he is 27/28. Ironically that is the age that the elite quarterbacks start winning Super Bowls.

Bump 11-02-2012 08:44 PM

pretty good Rocket debut for Harden. Holy shit

ekf028 11-02-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9055699)

Really? A guy gets his dream shot to start, plus he's leaving a podonk town for Houston with millions more in his pocket?

ROFL

I'd rather live here in podonk Oklahoma than ****ing Houston ;)

RedDread 11-02-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9078712)
pretty good Rocket debut for Harden. Holy shit

Incredible start, wonder if he can be the guy the whole season.

okcchief 11-02-2012 10:19 PM

Way to go beard! Until you play OKC :)