ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports OKC Thunder trade James Harden to Houston (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265791)

okcchief 10-28-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9056264)
that is a haul

do Oklahoma City Thunder homers have no idea who guys in the rest of the league are except their little trio?

I mean the fall off between Harden and Kevin Martin alone has to be so small. You could almost argue that Martin might be an UPGRADE. Dude has been a pure scorer on bad teams for years. Plug him in as the #1 option in the 2nd unit and the Thunder have scoring depth all game

plus Lamb and the draft picks. my goodness.

You can read in the other thread that I like the deal. However, Harden is a better all around offensive player. Martin is a straight up scorer, and Harden is better at getting others involved. I agree that Martin has been on shit teams his whole career, and this could give him new life. With Maynor back Martin maybe a nice fit, but odds are we take a bit of a step back.

As far as the total deal I believe we fleeced the Rockets, but when you see the core group get so far part of you wants to see them finish it. If you stay pat that day may never come. It's a bold unexpected move. Once the shock wears off people will start to see the value.

chiefzilla1501 10-28-2012 09:20 AM

Harden is one hell of a player. But you aren't going to pay him that kind of coin to be essentially a 6th man. Okc has a ton of talent outside of harden where this trade doesn't matter. And they get some solid young guys. I think Houston is incredibly stupid or giving up a quality guard like lamb who costs them peanuts right now.

58-4ever 10-28-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9056264)
that is a haul

do Oklahoma City Thunder homers have no idea who guys in the rest of the league are except their little trio?

I mean the fall off between Harden and Kevin Martin alone has to be so small. You could almost argue that Martin might be an UPGRADE. Dude has been a pure scorer on bad teams for years. Plug him in as the #1 option in the 2nd unit and the Thunder have scoring depth all game

plus Lamb and the draft picks. my goodness.

Yeah, I think the gut reaction was tough, but the haul was amazing. Presti will have multiple first rounders for a couple years, including a lottery pick. Martin is a good player, but also playing on the last year of his contract as well.

mcaj22 10-28-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 9056308)
Yeah, I think the gut reaction was tough, but the haul was amazing. Presti will have multiple first rounders for a couple years, including a lottery pick. Martin is a good player, but also playing on the last year of his contract as well.

that first rounder from Toronto is lottery protected and the other is from the Lakers

still two first rounds is a great haul

okcchief 10-28-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9056980)
that first rounder from Toronto is lottery protected and the other is from the Lakers

still two first rounds is a great haul

I thought I had read the other was from Dallas?

okcchief 10-28-2012 10:48 PM

The other is from Dallas. That could end up being a good pick if their veteran players miss a lot of time. Doesn't say it's top 3 or lottery protected though.

GoChargers 10-28-2012 10:51 PM

Bad trade for both teams. Harden is overrated and not really the star Houston's looking for, but he's going to be paid like one anyway. OKC just downgraded themselves immensely. Either the Clippers or Lakers are winning the West now.

The Bad Guy 10-28-2012 10:52 PM

Harden overrated? That's hilarious.

BIG_DADDY 10-28-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9061118)

I found that funny too. It's all about the Lakers this year. Glad they made the trade

The Bad Guy 10-28-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9056305)
Harden is one hell of a player. But you aren't going to pay him that kind of coin to be essentially a 6th man. Okc has a ton of talent outside of harden where this trade doesn't matter. And they get some solid young guys. I think Houston is incredibly stupid or giving up a quality guard like lamb who costs them peanuts right now.

The term 6th man for Harden is pretty misleading. The guy should be starting, but since they have tons of firepower, they elect to bring him off the bench.

GoChargers 10-28-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9061118)

Harden's a good player, but he's certainly not a max-contract player.

That being said, OKC could have gotten more than Kevin Martin.

kcxiv 10-28-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9061121)
The term 6th man for Harden is pretty misleading. The guy should be starting, but since they have tons of firepower, they elect to bring him off the bench.

They use him the same way the Spurs use Ginobli. Its not really misleading as he doesnt start, but he can be a starter.

The Bad Guy 10-28-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9061126)
They use him the same way the Spurs use Ginobli. Its not really misleading as he doesnt start, but he can be a starter.

Him not starting was more about Westbrook and Durant than it was about Harden. It's not like they were using someone even close in his spot. Thabo is a good defender and fits with the firs unit in the first quarter, but that's about it.

The Bad Guy 10-28-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 9061125)
Harden's a good player, but he's certainly not a max-contract player.

That being said, OKC could have gotten more than Kevin Martin.

They did get more than Kevin Martin.

They got 2 #1's, an expiring contract in Kevin Martin that will be a valuable chip come the trade deadline and a young player with a lot of potential in Jeremy Lamb.

I think Harden has max dollars value to a lot of teams that want instant offense. He's not a max player to OKC, but he sure as hell is to Houston and a dozen other teams.

mcaj22 10-28-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9061102)
I thought I had read the other was from Dallas?

i thought it was the pick from the Kyle Lowery to Toronto trade?