ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV 'Under the Dome" coming to CBS summer '13 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267201)

keg in kc 11-29-2012 08:03 PM

'Under the Dome" coming to CBS summer '13

Hopefully the series won't fizzle out toward the end the way that the novel did...

Quote:

Stephen King is coming back to broadcast TV. CBS is giving the author’s Under the Dome a 13-episode series order.

Based on King’s bestselling novel, Under the Dome is the story of a small New England town that’s suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town’s residents need to survive the deteriorating post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from, and how to make it go away.

The series version was originally developed at Showtime. But in an unusual move, the ambitious project jumped from a cable network’s slate to the major broadcaster (more on that below). It’s also a rather unique title for CBS, since the network has been traditionally more wary about betting on serialized dramas than its rivals. But with AMC’s The Walking Dead and NBC’s Revolution, apocalyptic serialized dramas have been delivering large numbers lately.

Fans of the novel shouldn’t expect an exact retelling of the same story. Last we heard, writer Brian K. Vaughan’s (Lost) script for Dome was wisely using the novel’s setup as a launch pad for its own TV-format-friendly version of the story and might even lay the groundwork for a different outcome than the novel’s ending. Also, the CBS version is definitely a series, not a mini-series, with a finale episode that will leave the story open for more seasons.
Bit more info at the link.

mikeyis4dcats. 11-29-2012 08:07 PM

I'd have preferred a 1 off series, but willing to see how they spin it.

Gonzo 11-29-2012 10:53 PM

Great book, decent ending but it seemed a little abrupt. You know? It just wasn't wrapped up like it should've been.

KcMizzou 11-29-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9163437)
Great book, decent ending but it seemed a little abrupt. You know? It just wasn't wrapped up like it should've been.

King's always been like that. Huge imagination, creates a hell of a story, and draws you in... but he's always had trouble with the endings.

I think it'd be hard to wrap something up with a bow, nice and neat... after you created this whole other world in your own mind. I mean, you'd kinda want it to continue.

Hell of a writer though. There's a reason he's so well known. I've been reading his stuff since I was a kid.

Frazod 11-29-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9163576)
King's always been like that. Huge imagination, creates a hell of a story, and draws you in... but he's always had trouble with the endings.

I think it'd be hard to wrap something up with a bow, nice and neat... after you created this whole other world in your own mind. I mean, you'd kinda want it to continue.

Hell of a writer though. There's a reason he's so well known. I've been reading his stuff since I was a kid.

Much like me playing chess, his endgame sucks.

Crush 11-30-2012 01:47 PM

Under the Dome's ending was okay. IT still has the worst Stephen King ending of all time.

Gonzo 11-30-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9164817)
Under the Dome's ending was okay. IT still has the worst Stephen King ending of all time.

Oh I don't agree with that at all. Are you talking the book or the mini-series?
The book was great, (although a little depressing).
Remember, the turtle couldn't help us...

Gonzo 11-30-2012 02:05 PM

The Dome's ending pissed me off because it worked its way up after a thousand pages to the absolute apex then it just ****ing ended. It was building forever then...blammo! Shot to shit.

Frosty 11-30-2012 02:15 PM

Under The Dome was the only King book that I couldn't finish. If the series is going to deviate from the book like mentioned, I may go ahead and watch this.

As for It, I caught the mini-series the other day and decided to reread the book for the first time since the early '90's. I'm about 100 pages from the end. It's insane how good this book is though I remember the ending being a let down.

The best ending of a King novel since the early days was in 11/22/63, which is funny because King says in the end notes that his son Joe Hill suggested the ending and he changed it to Hill's recommendation. Maybe Hill should do that for every King novel from here on out.

raybec 4 11-30-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9164863)
Oh I don't agree with that at all. Are you talking the book or the mini-series?
The book was great, (although a little depressing).
Remember, the turtle couldn't help us...

He's not to be blamed, he had a stomach ache when he made the universe

Gonzo 11-30-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 9165009)
He's not to be blamed, he had a stomach ache when he made the universe

LMAO Rep

I've had the user title about the turtle for like, 3 months now. No ones ever noticed.

keg in kc 02-03-2013 09:24 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yJPDwIvR004?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lex Luthor 02-03-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9164817)

It had the worst ending of any book, ever.

ChiliConCarnage 02-03-2013 10:07 PM

Under was extremely long and so-so. Like every King work it had amazingly memorable characters like Baawwwbbiee and Big Jim Rennie.

I liked it and it's ending was ok compared to a lot of his works. I'm sure you could take that incredible set of characters and create something amazing. We'll see, he's definitely sold a lot of his properties away to be crapped on.

Oddly, I felt like Cell was one of Kings more marketable movies in recent years. Really good and fits into a popular demographic.

Bowser 02-03-2013 10:45 PM

This is going to be awful. They should have done 11-22-63 as a miniseries instead.