ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals * Kansas City Royals @ Philadelphia Phillies Game Thread (4/6) * (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271817)

Sure-Oz 04-06-2013 11:30 AM

DH should take over the NL, hopefully someday.

EagleRob 04-06-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9561326)
yes. Yes it is.

A few years ago, I was on that "get rid of the DH" bandwagon, bemoaning the lack of "strategy" etc.

I've changed my mind, I am now a fan of American League baseball, rather than just baseball. If the Royals switched leagues, my interest would decrease.

At the college level and below, the pitcher should hit, because even though he's not as good, he can still put in a credible effort at the plate. At the MLB level, the pitcher is about as effective as some handcuffed guy in a gimp suit. Sure, we have a couple "hitting pitchers" in the NL, but mostly you are hoping for a successful bunt, or if he has to swing, then a miracle.

It is not fun to watch an inning get shut down because with 2 outs they walk the bases loaded in the 2nd inning to get to the pitcher and shut down the threat with a K. I'm also not excited about a double-switch. The "strategy" there is to move that gimp-spot elsewhere in your batting order so you have 8 good hitters in front of him. The bench should be used for defense to hold the lead, speed if a slow tying runner is on, pinch-hitting an all-glove starter late when behind, or to give a guy a day off. You want to play every day, beat the guy in front of you.

If I were emperor of baseball, I'd put the DH in the NL, and tell the NL fans to stuff it when they complain. After 10+ years they'll come around.

Probably the most compelling argument anyone has ever made to me to go against my upbringing. Nicely done.

RedDread 04-06-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9561338)
DH should take over the NL, hopefully someday.

It will happen. DH in both leagues means more big contracts. The player's union should be in favor of it.

EagleRob 04-06-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDread (Post 9561378)
It will happen. DH in both leagues means more big contracts. The player's union should be in favor of it.

Probably can't be done without alienating the purest fan base though.

tk13 04-06-2013 12:37 PM

Ugly scene in Toronto. John Lackey was making his first start of the year for the Red Sox after missing last year due to Tommy John. He just chunked a wild pitch into the dirt and immediately keeled over in pain. Had to come out of the game. Did not look good.

He was pitching okay too... 4 IP, 2 runs allowed, 8 K.

lewdog 04-06-2013 12:38 PM

I want to go on record. I think Mendoza has decent enough stuff to be an effective #5 in this rotation. Nothing spectacular but decent enough to keep us in games and eat up some innings. More than we can say for Hochevar. I hope my feeling is right.

Archie F. Swin 04-06-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9561246)
Not to totally divert to a tangent, but National League ball is lame.

Have to admit Ned played a solid NL game yesterday. I was fascinated by the substitutions.

duncan_idaho 04-06-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9561326)
yes. Yes it is.

A few years ago, I was on that "get rid of the DH" bandwagon, bemoaning the lack of "strategy" etc.

I've changed my mind, I am now a fan of American League baseball, rather than just baseball. If the Royals switched leagues, my interest would decrease.

At the college level and below, the pitcher should hit, because even though he's not as good, he can still put in a credible effort at the plate. At the MLB level, the pitcher is about as effective as some handcuffed guy in a gimp suit. Sure, we have a couple "hitting pitchers" in the NL, but mostly you are hoping for a successful bunt, or if he has to swing, then a miracle.

It is not fun to watch an inning get shut down because with 2 outs they walk the bases loaded in the 2nd inning to get to the pitcher and shut down the threat with a K. I'm also not excited about a double-switch. The "strategy" there is to move that gimp-spot elsewhere in your batting order so you have 8 good hitters in front of him. The bench should be used for defense to hold the lead, speed if a slow tying runner is on, pinch-hitting an all-glove starter late when behind, or to give a guy a day off. You want to play every day, beat the guy in front of you.

If I were emperor of baseball, I'd put the DH in the NL, and tell the NL fans to stuff it when they complain. After 10+ years they'll come around.

Brilliantly stated! The DH is not going anywhere. Eventually, NL fans will have to bite the bullet on this.

Stubbornly insisting that "Real" baseball is baseball sans DH is the same as stubbornly insisting that "Real" basketball is basketball sans the 3-point line, the shot clock, and the legal ability to dunk the ball, or football sans the forward pass.

Ceej 04-06-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9561448)
I want to go on record. I think Mendoza has decent enough stuff to be an effective #5 in this rotation. Nothing spectacular but decent enough to keep us in games and eat up some innings. More than we can say for Hochevar. I hope my feeling is right.

Way to go out on a limb there.

n00b..

CaliforniaChief 04-06-2013 01:13 PM

Hoch proved that he can handle pitching in a tough environment yesterday. /GMDM

Hey, at least we know that 9 run leads are safe with Hoch.

In all reality, this bullpen is fricking nails. We'll have the occasional flame-out, but I haven't felt as good about our pitching situation since 1985.

Ceej 04-06-2013 01:16 PM

I smell three in a row.

RedDread 04-06-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9561468)
Brilliantly stated! The DH is not going anywhere. Eventually, NL fans will have to bite the bullet on this.

Stubbornly insisting that "Real" baseball is baseball sans DH is the same as stubbornly insisting that "Real" basketball is basketball sans the 3-point line, the shot clock, and the legal ability to dunk the ball, or football sans the forward pass.

Or just to use baseball, interleague and instant replay have made their way in. Baseball is the slowest of the four major sports to adopt rule changes but this will happen.

However the All-Star Game WS home field advantage needs to go away. That is garbage. MLB All-Star game is already the best of all sports, they should just leave it be.

CoMoChief 04-06-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9561184)
Sitting Hos after a 4-hit game? :spock:

It's Yost baby!!!

lewdog 04-06-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9561508)
Way to go out on a limb there.

n00b..

I wish it wasn't so hard around here to fit in.

:sulk:

penbrook 04-06-2013 01:42 PM

Francouer is 13-25 with 1 hr and 6 rbis against Lannan.