ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Ceej 01-03-2008 12:21 PM

Just got done watching RE: Extinction and Hot Fuzz. Both were solid flicks.

I was a BIT disappointed with Extinction.

Hot Fuzz was hilarious. I am hoping the same cast/producers and whatnot put out another flick in the near future.

wendy666 01-04-2008 01:10 AM

I saw I am legend these days, awesome

Jenson71 01-04-2008 02:14 AM

That damn "fumph" of the high pressured weapon of Anton Chigurn's is something I can't stop thinking of.

I don't think I've ever seen a more cynical film. That movie was disturbing.

And I can't wait to watch it again.

mcan 01-04-2008 10:36 AM

I'm actually pretty excited about Juno. My friend Joe tells me it'll be my favorite movie of the year too, so I have to check it out.

I've avoided the National Treasure movies. They look horrible.

As for the Norton/Bale thing. I think that they are the modern Pacino and DeNiro. There are a few others out there that are close, but for my money these are the best two actors working.

Baby Lee 01-04-2008 10:54 AM

Caught an overlooked 'For Your Consideration.'

The 'Guest treatment' of Hollywood Oscar talk.

If you liked previous Guest works [Spinal Tap, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman], it's more of the reliable form.

Basically, a small artsy production 'Home for Purim' is being filmed when someone on the crew sees a web site saying the lead actress is doing Oscar worthy work. And it follows the reactions of the players as the buzz grows around the film. A send up of crappy agents, Entertainment Tonight, meddling suits, validation seeking actors, deranged money people, etc.

Not groundbreaking, and pretty predictible, but fun, endearing, and possessing it's share of funny bits and lines.

Otter 01-04-2008 04:48 PM

What did everyone think of "Smokin' Aces"?

Let's get this straight right off the bat - this is not a cinematic masterpiece that will be discussed and dissected for it's contribution to theater. It's a shoot-em-up, gangster based flick in the vein of "Snatch" and "Reservoir Dogs" that is face paced with enough plot twists so it manages to avoid the 'leave your brain at home' category.

I loved it, gave it 5/5 stars in my Netflix rating and couldn't have been more entertained. Bought the movie the next day.

Based on what I've read in reviews it's a "love it or hate it" type film, which I can understand.

There are no heroes each and every character is out for themselves with no regard for morals when it comes to achieving their goal. It's bloody, graphic and hedonistic. If you like a traditional storyline *I hate 'em* this isn't gonna cut the jib.

- a great 90 minutes of entertainment if you as me.

mcan 01-04-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter
What did everyone think of "Smokin' Aces"?

Let's get this straight right off the bat - this is not a cinematic masterpiece that will be discussed and dissected for it's contribution to theater. It's a shoot-em-up, gangster based flick in the vein of "Snatch" and "Reservoir Dogs" that is face paced with enough plot twists so it manages to avoid the 'leave your brain at home' category.

I think your assessment of "Smokin' Aces" is right on. Definately a fun little trip and a "check your brain" kinda movie. But I was hoping for more. Your comparisons to Snatch and Reservoir Dogs is off base IMO. I think both of those movies can be considered great films as well. Especially Reservoir Dogs, which is practically perfect, and sets the standard for independent action films. Snatch is commercial, but is a much better film than "Smokin'..."

KcMizzou 01-04-2008 07:01 PM

"Shoot 'Em Up" makes "Smokin Aces" look like "Steel Magnolias".

Frazod 01-04-2008 07:03 PM

Smokin Aces sucked balls, IMO.

It started out as a cartoonish over-the-top action film. Then it shifted gears halfway through and tried to be a serious drama. As a result, it failed as both. I found it to be both lame and annoying.

Otter 01-04-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan
I think your assessment of "Smokin' Aces" is right on. Definately a fun little trip and a "check your brain" kinda movie. But I was hoping for more. Your comparisons to Snatch and Reservoir Dogs is off base IMO. I think both of those movies can be considered great films as well. Especially Reservoir Dogs, which is practically perfect, and sets the standard for independent action films. Snatch is commercial, but is a much better film than "Smokin'..."

The Snatch comparison was based on the way the story was presented. Quick bits of each story that eventually meshed together.

Reservoir Dogs comparison was just the raw violence and blood. I think combined they make a good comparison.

I agree it doesn't hold a candle to Reservoir Dogs, that's a classic but it can be used in comparison in the nature mentioned above.

Quote:

It started out as a cartoonish over-the-top action film.
That's why I liked it actually. It didn't try to be anything different...well I guess the ending did. What did you think of "Sin City"?

Frazod 01-04-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter
That's why I liked it actually. It didn't try to be anything different...well I guess the ending did. What did you think of "Sin City"?

I loved Sin City.

mcan 01-05-2008 05:09 PM

Just got out to see "Juno" last night, and loved the holy crap out of that movie. Right up there with "Lars and the Real Girl." I laughed more at Juno, but I think Lars is the better overall film.

irishjayhawk 01-06-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan
Just got out to see "Juno" last night, and loved the holy crap out of that movie. Right up there with "Lars and the Real Girl." I laughed more at Juno, but I think Lars is the better overall film.

I never got around to seeing Lars but it wasn't, to my knowledge, supposed to be funny. I mean, it's funny to us, but it's a serious drama. One critic said that we should nominate the blow up doll for best actress.

007 01-06-2008 05:29 PM

The new National Treasure was entertaining.

luv 01-06-2008 05:33 PM

I watched We Are Marshall on HBO last night. Good movie.