ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV NBC cans 30 Rock, Community, and Parks and Rec (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259373)

Red Brooklyn 05-15-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 8617141)
This is, like, the worst possible tribute to Seinfeld's legacy.

At least, on this much we can agree.

Red Brooklyn 05-15-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8617053)
I liked Friends, but it went too long.

Seinfeld could have went a few more seasons. Its humor still holds up today.

I would have ended Friends after the 7th season. Which is still probably too long. But some of my all time favorite Friends episodes are in that season.

Let me be clear, I love Seinfeld. It just doesn't have the replay value for me that Friends has. I can watch reruns of Friends all day long. I get wiped out watching too much Seinfeld.

Also, Seinfeld has this odd quality; it's actually better (to me) when I don't see a whole episode. It's the kind of show I like catching 5 to 10 minutes in. I've seen the ends of every episode. I'm not sure I can say the same of the beginnings.

Brock 05-15-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8617093)
The apartment was explained. It was a Rent controlled unit.

2 of them, right across the hall from each other. Yeah.

Red Brooklyn 05-15-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8617201)

Well, technically, if one of the apartments in rent controlled, the whole building is probably rent controlled. So, yeah.

But Monica's is the only one they address specifically. But Chandler has always had a real job and made pretty good money. Plus his parents are loaded. So it's logical.

BigMeatballDave 05-15-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8617201)

They never mentioned the other apartment. Not that I recall.

DaFace 05-15-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 8615002)
I am waiting for NBC and maybe even the CW to give the middle finger to the Nielson company and say they're getting their ad numbers else where so it will include a much broader (and more accurate) rating. I have heard numbers as low as 20,000 people who are counted for Nielson ratings. It makes me sad to think that networks have to fold under them to be successful.

The common trend is people now more than ever are watching less primetime TV with the exception of sports. Something has gotta give, and I am betting it will be the outdated rating system before anything else.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Nielsen's rating system, but sample size isn't one of them. They've got lots of methodological issues, like how to account for multiple TVs in a household, how to avoid double-counting people who watch both online and on TV, and a variety of other issues. However, adding another million people to the mix wouldn't fix any of those issues.

Regardless, the problem is that there's no such thing as "getting their ad numbers elsewhere." No one else really does it because Nielsen is WAY better than anything anyone else has ever come up with. So while it's flawed in some ways, it's better than nothing (and is a lot better than random people on a message board saying "those numbers are too low because I like that show").

ragedogg69 05-16-2012 07:04 AM

Good points. Maybe I meant to say that NBC will give Nielson the finger and say we would rather keep shows that win awards and critical praise than win arbitrary rating wars.

BigRedChief 05-17-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 8619119)
Good points. Maybe I meant to say that NBC will give Nielson the finger and say we would rather keep shows that win awards and critical praise than win arbitrary rating wars.

And maybe the top 1% will just decide to give all their money to the poor.

aturnis 05-17-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8623628)
And maybe the top 1% will just decide to give all their money to the poor.

And maybe I'll be lying in wait to rob those poor people who the 1% just gave their money to.

Baby Lee 02-02-2013 01:32 PM

Could the finale of 30 Rock perhaps be the best finale of all time? Too early to tell?

Legitimately funny, in keeping with the run of the show, poignant, referential, creative, innovative, comprehensive.

I've seen finales that do things epically or emotionally, but I can't recall one that did so many things so well without missing a beat.

Brock 02-02-2013 01:35 PM

The Irma Luhrman-Merman murder
Turned the bird's word lurid
The whir and the purr of a twirler girl
She would the world were demurer
The insurer's allure
For valor were pure Kari Wuhrer
One fervid whirl over her turgid error
Rural juror
Rural juror
I will never forget you
Rural juror
I'll always be glad I met you
Rural juror

I will never forget you
Rural juror
I'll always be glad I met you
Rural juror (x2)
These were the best days of my flerm.

Baby Lee 02-02-2013 01:46 PM

I mean how genius is it to have Richard Belzer PLAY Munch as Belzer playing Munch in his latest appearance as Munch on TV, putting 30 Rock in the Tommy Westphall-averse for all time? Then referencing the Westphall-averse in the end without directly going to it, but going back to the immortal Kenneth bit and mixing it with Liz Lemon's multi-racial progeny, and Jetson's sound effects?

Crazy making!!

I should totally start a business where you can spend Christmas in the Hamptons alone, drinking scotch and throwing firecrackers at Billy Joel's dog. Guess I missed the boat on Tan Penis Island.

Baby Lee 02-02-2013 02:51 PM

Watch this and fail to tear up. I challenge you

http://www.vulture.com/2010/04/tracy...tional_wh.html

Demonpenz 02-02-2013 03:14 PM

this is the worst day of my life

cookster50 02-04-2013 07:18 AM

Community is back this week, I'm happy.