ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games New XBox 720 to kill off second hand games? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270017)

keg in kc 02-14-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9402294)
This really isn't in Microsoft's hands anyway, it's in the hands of the publisher.

EA, for example, is ALREADY TAKING STEPS TO DO THIS, as anybody who has purchased an EA Sports title used can attest.

That being said, Microsoft has built functionality into Windows 8 that can be leveraged in the future to make them the preferred game distribution method on Windows, locking out others like Steam and essentially making Windows PCs an Xbox-like environment.

EA has definitely been ahead of the curve on this. In addition to sports, they've been selling online passes for games in the rpg/action/horror genres for a couple of years now, so people who get the game second hand can't get into the mulitiplayer aspect of the game without paying.

I'm okay with it. My bigger concern is gaming turning more towards facebook, mobile and app-based stuff. Hopefully that's a fad that dies painfully.

silver5liter 02-14-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9403899)
So basically your paying for your internet connection, your xbox subscription, and then your Netflix subscription? You dont see a problem here?

Sony doesn't charge you to access their network.

Its because Sony's network sucks ass compared to Xbox live...

007 02-14-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9404048)

AAAAAaaaaand here we go with that stupid ass shit again.

Deberg_1990 02-14-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9404048)

Myth

silver5liter 02-14-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9404208)
Myth

Some like one, some like the other. Xbox live is more reliable imo. Also if PS owners want the same things that xbox has, well most of it, they have to pay 50 dollars a year for playstation plus. So I dont see the big deal.

On the topic of netflix only boxes, my Roku HD I have in my bedroom works great

Bewbies 02-14-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9403899)
So basically your paying for your internet connection, your xbox subscription, and then your Netflix subscription? You dont see a problem here?

Sony doesn't charge you to access their network.

I know. I ****ing hate how you have to buy a tv, pay for electricity and pay for cable! LMAO

Imon Yourside 02-14-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9403928)
Na, consoles will never go away. It's the only way to provide the same experience for everyone. A PC game might play fine on your setup and play like shit on mine. Most people don't want to deal with that kind of thing.

I do, because I know how to build/setup a PC for about the same price as a console that will blow it away.

silver5liter 02-14-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9404220)
I know. I ****ing hate how you have to buy a tv, pay for electricity and pay for cable! LMAO

And maybe buy a tv stand damnit. Also having to pay rent to house it in, what a bitch. #sacrasm

DaFace 02-14-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9404227)
I do, because I know how to build/setup a PC for about the same price as a console that will blow it away.

Sure, PC games have their place in the world for people like you - those won't go away either. But 90% of the people don't want to build something. They want to take it out of the box and be playing their game 2 minutes later.

mnchiefsguy 02-14-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9404214)
Some like one, some like the other. Xbox live is more reliable imo. Also if PS owners want the same things that xbox has, well most of it, they have to pay 50 dollars a month for playstation plus. So I dont see the big deal.

On the topic of netflix only boxes, my Roku HD I have in my bedroom works great

Playstation plus is not 50 bucks a month. Right now, you can get it for 50 bucks for a year, and they are throwing in three free months...so price wise it is very competitive with XBOX live.

kcxiv 02-15-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9402667)
Hopefully console gaming dies with this generation.

hope not i dont like sitting at a desk to game anymore! im over that shit. I like relaxing on my recliner.

silver5liter 02-15-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9404580)
Playstation plus is not 50 bucks a month. Right now, you can get it for 50 bucks for a year, and they are throwing in three free months...so price wise it is very competitive with XBOX live.

Thats what I meant to say, not 50 a month, a year. So its about the same as xbox live.

Imon Yourside 02-15-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9404505)
Sure, PC games have their place in the world for people like you - those won't go away either. But 90% of the people don't want to build something. They want to take it out of the box and be playing their game 2 minutes later.

That is why I educate, we can convert the derps over to productive PC members. ;)

silver5liter 02-15-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9404607)
That is why I educate, we can convert the derps over to productive PC members. ;)

I love pc gaming, I have built a few of my own and my friends. But I got to the point where I got tired of them getting outdated. Its nice having a console where games are made specifically for the specifications that I have and I dont have to upgrade.

Imon Yourside 02-15-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9404621)
I love pc gaming, I have built a few of my own and my friends. But I got to the point where I got tired of them getting outdated. Its nice having a console where games are made specifically for the specifications that I have and I dont have to upgrade.

Other than sports games I don't play consoles at all, if those same games were on PC I would play them there but they aren't and that's the only reason. Also as the years go by it seems I have to upgrade less and less.