ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Late night bullshit: A "smart guy's" sport. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271675)

Direckshun 04-01-2013 11:36 PM

Silock invited me to play with him when I lived up in KC.

I never had the opportunity to join, and it sounds like I got lucky because he and his friends sound like stud athletes.

Exoter175 04-01-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548244)
I played defense my entire life in soccer, and when I watch cornerbacks play wide receivers...

The entire secondary battle, between receivers and defensive backs? That's all soccer spacing. The assignments, the zones... that's all soccer, in terms of spacing and coverage strategies and players trying to get open. That's 100% soccer.

Only difference is the ball.

Most would argue that its actually a closer comparison to Rugby.

tk13 04-01-2013 11:38 PM

The problem with golf is you're just competing against yourself. Of course some people would say that's why it's the toughest. But in other sports you are having to anticipate and react to an opponent's move. But in the end golf is more patience and self discipline.

Ming the Merciless 04-01-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9548223)

Without a doubt, Golf is the most intellectual of them all.

I disagree. yes, I think golf is INTERNAL ...a game against the self....but it is more like zen or meditation than thinking...

as a matter of fact...

thinking will kill your golf game

nothing will kill your golf game more than thought

golf is more spiritual than mental...by far

Direckshun 04-01-2013 11:39 PM

I don't see the rugby comparison. Maybe the scrums compare to line of scrimmage play, but even then, not really.

Exoter175 04-01-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9548251)
I disagree. yes, I think golf is INTERNAL ...a game against the self....but it is more like zen or meditation than thinking...

as a matter of fact...

thinking will kill your golf game

nothing will kill your golf game more than thought

golf is more spiritual than mental...by far

And thus, the far more intellectual sport.

More thought goes into the planning of a round, hole by hole, alone, than will go through your head playing any of the sports I mentioned.

I"m just being honest about it, as I've played at a competitive level in all 5 sports, Golf was the most nerve wracking, most up and down emotionally, and most intellectual for me. Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, all became second nature to me, I rarely had to think by comparison.

In Golf, 98% of your time is spent thinking.

Exoter175 04-01-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548254)
I don't see the rugby comparison. Maybe the scrums compare to line of scrimmage play, but even then, not really.

They do, and a lot of the actions are similar.

Direckshun 04-01-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9548260)
They do, and a lot of the actions are similar.

Well I guess I'll have to take your word for it?

There is not a lot of time spent in rubgy "covering" someone. There's not a lot of time in rugby spent running routes or getting open. Everything is team formation vs. team formation. There are no forward passes in rugby, right? Unlike soccer and football, where that's the whole idea to advance the ball, thus necessitating all the downfield coverage and route-running. That's all soccer and football.

Simply Red 04-01-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548247)
Silock invited me to play with him when I lived up in KC.

I never had the opportunity to join, and it sounds like I got lucky because he and his friends sound like stud athletes.

yeah same w/ these dudes downstairs - they too would battle ax my head in a game of soccer -- their gear is always out on the patio - they always come home in jerseys. Just soccer junkies, It's ok, I'm about to transform into Bruce Jenner back in his heyday, soon. So I will take back my pool this summer, I'll take back what's mine & I have to admit; I'm excited about that. just got the latest Mizuno model runner.

Direckshun 04-01-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9548264)
yeah same w/ these dudes downstairs - they too would battle ax my head in a game of soccer -- their gear is always out on the patio - they always come home in jerseys. Just soccer junkies, It's ok, I'm about to transform into Bruce Jenner back in his heyday, soon. So I will take back my pool this summer, I'll take back what's mine & I have to admit; I'm excited about that. just got the latest Mizuno model runner.

I swear to god, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Simply Red 04-01-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548267)
I swear to god, I have no idea what you're talking about.

that's fine - i'm totally okay with that.

Ming the Merciless 04-01-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9548258)
And thus, the far more intellectual sport.

More thought goes into the planning of a round, hole by hole, alone, than will go through your head playing any of the sports I mentioned.

I"m just being honest about it, as I've played at a competitive level in all 5 sports, Golf was the most nerve wracking, most up and down emotionally, and most intellectual for me. Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, all became second nature to me, I rarely had to think by comparison.

In Golf, 98% of your time is spent thinking.

well, i disagree with your definition of intellectual....& thought/thinking

it is more about harmony and getting your swing right than actually planning, strategy,drawing up and executing plays etc...

it is much more about FEELING than thinking...........there is no comparison the study and play calling and changing plays based on what the opponent is doing....

i agree that 98% of golf is internal....I just do not consider it 'thinking' or 'intellectual' .....it requires zero thought or intellect other than maybe club selection or whether or not to lay up or power over.........

As i stated , i call that zen, or harmony or feeling rather than
'thinking' or 'intellectual'.....getting your swing right

Its very similar to a baseball swing IMO.... if you think about it, its going to get ruined....it just has to come naturally (which takes a LOT of practice swings!)

lcarus 04-01-2013 11:53 PM

Football, depending on the position, requires intelligence. I've seen some playbooks. Damn. You don't need frickin flash cards for baseball or basketball lol.

Direckshun 04-01-2013 11:56 PM

I think to play football requires little intelligence.

Learn the playbooks, fine. But most of the mechanics probably come second nature. Same with every sport.

I'm talking about as a spectator.

Ming the Merciless 04-02-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548290)
I think to play football requires little intelligence.

maybe it depends on the position...

if youre talking about IQ.......take a complex position...linebacker....qb...center....

Lets look at it as decisions , like a basic computer measurement....what sport has more decisions that need to be made?

It has to be football, by far......