ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Article: Chiefs Most Likely Landing Spot for Foles (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269947)

Frosty 02-12-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9396818)
I do find it rather amazing that the same arguments being used to JUSTIFY trading picks for Foles are being used AGAINST drafting Geno Smith at #1 overall.

Apparently, being a highly-accurate QB in a 1-read offense is okay as long as you are somebody else's castoff...

I'm hoping that the Chiefs draft Geno or Wilson (not a fan of Barkley). I just think some of the anti-Foles stuff is ridiculous and largely based on bad memories of trading for Cassel.

Frosty 02-12-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9396838)
As Foles should be.

Personally, I believe that with quality coaching and the right system, Foles will be on a level with Matt Ryan - not elite but a step above Andy Dalton.

Time will tell who's right.

htismaqe 02-12-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9396845)
I'm hoping that the Chiefs draft Geno or Wilson (not a fan of Barkley). I just think some of the anti-Foles stuff is ridiculous and largely based on bad memories of trading for Cassel.

Oh, I'm not anti-Foles.

I just don't see the logic in spending draft picks on the guy unless you're bringing him in to be THE starter.

And at that point, I have to be asking myself "WHY"?

I just can't think of a good reason to bring Foles here when we're sitting on the #1 overall pick.

Draft a backup in the 3rd this year.

Hammock Parties 02-12-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9396858)
Oh, I'm not anti-Foles.

I just don't see the logic in spending draft picks on the guy unless you're bringing him in to be THE starter.

Because the QB position is important. I am absolutely not content throwing all our eggs in Geno's basket.

Quote:

What?

So it's OK to draft a QB at #65...but don't trade that pick for Foles! :spock:

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-12-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9396083)
What if NFL people think Geno sucks but think Nick Foles is awesome?

What if unicorns break open my door and anally rape me with their horns?

lmao. Literally. I like the line stating that "the logic is simple". No, simple Jack, YOU are simple. Lolz...
Posted via Mobile Device

Frosty 02-12-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Oh, I'm not anti-Foles.

I just can't think of a good reason to bring Foles here when we're sitting on the #1 overall pick.

Totally agree except for drafting a back up in the 3rd. That pick is too valuable to use on a 2nd QB. Draft Geno or Wilson at #1, sign a veteran back up and roll with Stanzi this year.

Draft your backup/development guy next year.

htismaqe 02-12-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9396865)
Because the QB position is important. I am absolutely not content throwing all our eggs in Geno's basket.

So sign a free agent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9396865)
So it's OK to draft a QB at #65...but don't trade that pick for Foles! :spock:

I guess you've missed where most of the speculation is that getting Foles would require a SECOND round pick, not a 3rd.

htismaqe 02-12-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9396875)
Totally agree except for drafting a back up in the 3rd. That pick is too valuable to use on a 2nd QB. Draft Geno or Wilson at #1, sign a veteran back up and roll with Stanzi this year.

Draft your backup/development guy next year.

Sure, whatever.

That works too.

Chris Meck 02-12-2013 03:26 PM

For my part at least, I have two scenarios in which Foles makes sense.

1)Reid loves the kid and thinks he's got 'it'. He doesn't feel like there's anyone in the draft that's any better and he's already got one year of tutelage with Foles, so it's a head start. You trade 1sts and get a 2nd/or give up a 3rd/whatever for the kid and don't look back. This is a Brett Favre to Green Bay scenario, not a Matt Cassel 2.0 scenario.

2)Reid likes the kid, thinks he's got potential but wants to stack the position, so he trades for him AND drafts the best QB available at the Chiefs highest pick. Depending on what you have to give up, that could be as high as #4 (a swap of firsts) or a 2nd. So it could still be Geno Smith/Wilson/Barkley/or Nassib/Dysert. If this happens, I think Reid's intention would be to have an open competition, best man wins. This is a less risky Seattle 2012 scenario.

And again, I still think drafting Geno and signing a crafty old vet is my preference. It IS possible, however, that Reid thinks a Nassib or the like is just as likely to work out for him as Geno/Wilson/Barkley (Ryan's numbers are good, he's got a gun for an arm and high intangibles).

It's all just speculation, anyway.

DTLB58 02-12-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9396088)
Didn't chip just state yesterday that he was going to hold an open QB competition between foles and Vick...?

NFL coaches and GM's lie all the time, especially if it will benefit them.

Heck, they were already talking on ESPN this morning that the curve ball behind all of this might be that the only reason the Eagles kept Vick was to trade HIM!

DTLB58 02-12-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Oh, I'm not anti-Foles.

Well, maybe they aren't drafting a QB #1 overall and he really likes the guy he drafted last year and already knows?

Even if they take a QB 1 and spend a 3 on a trade for Foles, a new guy instead would only be a year younger potentially.

Coaches are creatures of habit so they like to go with what they know and what got them there. Hence, taking all the same coaches with them and the same players.

RealSNR 02-12-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9396969)
Well, maybe they aren't drafting a QB #1 overall and he really likes the guy he drafted last year and already knows?

Even if they take a QB 1 and spend a 3 on a trade for Foles, a new guy instead would only be a year younger potentially.

Coaches are creatures of habit so they like to go with what they know and what got them there. Hence, taking all the same coaches with them and the same players.

If we don't draft a QB at 1, I won't give a shit what the **** they do about the position.

My interest in the Chiefs will plummet to zero.

King_Chief_Fan 02-12-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9396897)
For my part at least, I have two scenarios in which Foles makes sense.

1)Reid loves the kid and thinks he's got 'it'. He doesn't feel like there's anyone in the draft that's any better and he's already got one year of tutelage with Foles, so it's a head start. You trade 1sts and get a 2nd/or give up a 3rd/whatever for the kid and don't look back. This is a Brett Favre to Green Bay scenario, not a Matt Cassel 2.0 scenario.

2)Reid likes the kid, thinks he's got potential but wants to stack the position, so he trades for him AND drafts the best QB available at the Chiefs highest pick. Depending on what you have to give up, that could be as high as #4 (a swap of firsts) or a 2nd. So it could still be Geno Smith/Wilson/Barkley/or Nassib/Dysert. If this happens, I think Reid's intention would be to have an open competition, best man wins. This is a less risky Seattle 2012 scenario.

And again, I still think drafting Geno and signing a crafty old vet is my preference. It IS possible, however, that Reid thinks a Nassib or the like is just as likely to work out for him as Geno/Wilson/Barkley (Ryan's numbers are good, he's got a gun for an arm and high intangibles).

It's all just speculation, anyway.

and any one of those three are win/win

htismaqe 02-12-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

In that case, you're not talking about Foles as a backup anymore. You're talking about Foles as the starter. No thanks.

Quote:

Why spend a 3rd rounder on Foles when you could sign a free agent for nothing? Foles has ZERO value as a mentor to a young QB. He's essentially a rookie himself. Again, no thanks.

Quote:

Hence why they're all looking for jobs every 3 years.

htismaqe 02-12-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9397002)
and any one of those three are win/win

Scenario #1 is NOT a win/win.

If Foles busts, you have no contingency plan.