ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith or Jimmy Garoppolo? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305753)

milkman 02-04-2017 08:56 AM

Alex Smith or Jimmy Garoppolo?

If those are your only choices, would you rather stand pat with Smith or give up a high draft pick for Garoppolo?

O.city 02-04-2017 08:58 AM

Stay with smith.

Iirc, Jimmy is gonna need a new deal soon, if not now, and we don't really know what he is

notorious 02-04-2017 08:58 AM

No.

SAUTO 02-04-2017 08:58 AM

Can we trade Smith? What would he bring in return?

notorious 02-04-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12725741)
Can we trade Smith? What would he bring in return?

Happiness.

In all seriousness, maybe a 4th if we are lucky. Everyone knows what he is.

rico 02-04-2017 09:01 AM

If those were our only choices?

Garappolo.

He would at least ease the apathy I feel knowing we have Alex as our QB.

Buehler445 02-04-2017 09:02 AM

Not for a high draft pick.

Frazod 02-04-2017 09:10 AM

Would Garoppolo come with another high level executive who'll do everything in his power to sabotage the team? Because it really wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

Red Dawg 02-04-2017 09:18 AM

I rather Jimmy but he's not going to be our long term answer. If he was good Bill wouldn't be looking for a sucker to take him. I certainly would not give up any picks for him.

Iconic 02-04-2017 09:19 AM

Realistically Garoppolo is going to fetch a first or something equal to it. As a result it's about getting the highest amount of value from that first round pick you will expend.

So I think the question really becomes can you find a QB in this draft class, or next years, that is of better than or of equal value to Garoppolo.

The answer for me personally is yes. Not this year. But next years draft class is stacked to where we wouldn't even have to trade up to get our QBOTF.

This is really a question that you leave up to talent evaluators. Is he better than what's about to come out of college the next two years? Is he worth foregoing the coveted 5th year option?

Really not sure.

CaliforniaChief 02-04-2017 09:19 AM

In that scenario I'd stick with Smith and find a way to trade up and draft a QB in round 1.

BossChief 02-04-2017 09:22 AM

I'm not sure I can handle the team trading for another backup QB.

Jimmy Bono Grbac Cassel Smith can go get over paid elsewhere.

Step 1: trade Alex Smith to the Jets
Step 2: trade/cut Foles
Step 3: trade for Romo
Step 4: trade up in the first round of the draft for a QB
Step 5: bolster the defense with the remaining picks

milkman 02-04-2017 09:24 AM

This is what I think.

I haven't watched much college football over the past couple of season, so I can not offer any opinions on the QBs available in this draft.

However, from what I'm reading from the people whose opinions I value, the QB who seems to have a high ceiling that might be available within the Chiefs range in this draft is Pat Mahomes, so if we could land him, I'd be all for it.

If, however, he moved up the boards after the combines and workouts, then I would rather trade for Garroplo than stand pat with Smith.

I would then try to extend him to a deal that makes his contract expendable after 2 years, so that if he proves to be a bust, the team can move on from.

That way, the risk in trading for Garapollo is no greater than drafting a QB.

milkman 02-04-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 12725779)
Realistically Garoppolo is going to fetch a first or something equal to it. As a result it's about getting the highest amount of value from that first round pick you will expend.

So I think the question really becomes can you find a QB in this draft class, or next years, that is of better than or of equal value to Garoppolo.

The answer for me personally is yes. Not this year. But next years draft class is stacked to where we wouldn't even have to trade up to get our QBOTF.

This is really a question that you leave up to talent evaluators. Is he better than what's about to come out of college the next two years? Is he worth foregoing the coveted 5th year option?

Really not sure.

The QB draft class is always stacked next year.

bevischief 02-04-2017 09:39 AM

Hell why not start Bray? About the same crap shoot.