ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Louis CK (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271463)

Taco John 04-14-2013 01:44 AM

If there's a more culturally relevant comedian right now than this guy, I don't know who it is.

I suppose you could argue Jon Stewart is, which is compelling, but misses the point, which is that whatever anyone thinks of Louis CK, he's "moving the needle" right now.

sd4chiefs 04-14-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9584987)
I didn't find CK's special tonight that great. It had moments, but his last couple of specials just haven't really done as much for me. He's still probably my favorite comedian, but maybe the law of diminishing returns is in play here.

I miss George Carlin.

scho63 04-14-2013 02:46 PM

I found little to no laughs at this last night. He is very over rated. Just told short stories with very little punch lines or jokes. Not as bad or talentless as Dane Cook but he just doesn't make me laugh much.

I just don't see what all the fuss is with this guy.

I'm a huge fan of people like Steven Wright, Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Lewis Black, and of course the old timers like Carlin, Pryor, Redd Foxx, and Eddie Murphy

rabblerouser 04-14-2013 03:24 PM

I loved his old show Lucky Louie - awesome that HBO is capitalizing on his recent re-emergence and showing it again.

I just think he needs a good comic foil. By himself he's good...surround him with a strong cast and he's great.

Dayze 04-14-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeXJones (Post 9537479)
I tried to watch his stand up special or whatever it was on netflix didnt find him funny and sure the hell didn't remind me of the amazing comedian like Hedberg but might give it another go maybe

I thought alot of his observations were Hedberg-esque.

but yeah, he's no Mitch etc.

DaneMcCloud 04-14-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9586377)
I thought alot of his observations were Hedberg-esque.

but yeah, he's no Mitch etc.

I've watched his latest comedy special twice now and I haven't laughed once. I saw his 2007 special for the first time just two weeks ago and was expecting so much more.

Lame.

lcarus 04-14-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9586196)
I loved his old show Lucky Louie - awesome that HBO is capitalizing on his recent re-emergence and showing it again.

I just think he needs a good comic foil. By himself he's good...surround him with a strong cast and he's great.

I like Lucky Louie a lot too. A lot of people think it's shit. Then again, I like his new show too so it really doesn't matter.

Demonpenz 04-14-2013 08:52 PM

if hedburg would have got sober we'd be talking about how he got lame in his older years.

BigRedChief 04-15-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 9585008)
If there's a more culturally relevant comedian right now than this guy, I don't know who it is.

I suppose you could argue Jon Stewart is, which is compelling, but misses the point, which is that whatever anyone thinks of Louis CK, he's "moving the needle" right now.

There are no inheritors of George Carlin's honest in your face social/political relevant comedy.

Just because he joked about murdering your own children doesn't mean he is edgy. He is a more "honest" comedian than the current comedians but he's not even to the level of a Robin Williams, little own Carlin.

Stewart is currently the most socially/politically significant comedian on the planet. But, he usually just mocks and points out the hypocrisy of his targets. It's still not the warts and all approach of Carlin.

Demonpenz 04-15-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9587512)
There are no inheritors of George Carlin's honest in your face social/political relevant comedy.

Just because he joked about murdering your own children doesn't mean he is edgy. He is a more "honest" comedian than the current comedians but he's not even to the level of a Robin Williams, little own Carlin.

Stewart is currently the most socially/politically significant comedian on the planet. But, he usually just mocks and points out the hypocrisy of his targets. It's still not the warts and all approach of Carlin.

Chris Rock has warts and all approach.

Baby Lee 04-15-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9587512)

Don't know why, but that made me giggle like a school girl. ;)

Fishpicker 04-25-2013 07:44 PM

it's been 2 weeks. Louis CK has another special coming out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E7Fe3blRKU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scho63 04-29-2013 07:04 AM

Last night on HBO they had a repeat of Wanda Sykes' special from 2009 "I'ma Be Me"

I laughed my balls off for nearly the entire show. ROFL

She puts Louis CK to shame. This is well worth watching if you haven't seen it!

Here's a snippet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIBx1...0D450D38B74E4E

Demonpenz 05-02-2013 11:06 AM

She has an annoying ass voice, but year..she'll smash a room.

lcarus 05-02-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 9643226)
Last night on HBO they had a repeat of Wanda Sykes' special from 2009 "I'ma Be Me"

I laughed my balls off for nearly the entire show. ROFL

She puts Louis CK to shame. This is well worth watching if you haven't seen it!

Here's a snippet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIBx1...0D450D38B74E4E

This proves comedy is subjective, because I didn't find that clip very funny at all. She's not bad.