ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Per ESPN: Chiefs-Jets talks stall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133031)

chiefqueen 01-05-2006 12:48 PM

Per ESPN: Chiefs-Jets talks stall

Looks like Carl is waiting to see if they fire him first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2281478

Updated: Jan. 5, 2006, 1:35 PM ET
Sources: Chiefs-Jets talks over Edwards stalled

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Talks between the Chiefs and Jets over Herm Edwards leaving New York to become the Kansas City coach have stalled, according to league sources.
The compensation package that has been on the table involved the Chiefs sending fourth- and fifth-round draft picks to the Jets, perhaps splitting the choices over two years, but Chiefs president Carl Peterson has been reluctant to close a deal, the sources added.
Peterson's reluctance, the sources believe, is based on his sense that Edwards is no longer welcomed in New York by Jets owner Woody Johnson, who is reportedly tired over Edwards' status.
However, a league source added that Peterson's gamble could cost him because if Edwards is fired, the Chiefs would have competition among other teams who would be interested in the Jets coach.
As one other source said, the deal is "always a phone call away."
ESPN's Chris Mortensen is a regular contributor to Insider. He chats every Wednesday in The Show.

the Talking Can 01-05-2006 12:49 PM

good...

Chiefs Pantalones 01-05-2006 12:50 PM

Good. I hope it doesn't happen. We can get a coach for free, no picks.

FringeNC 01-05-2006 12:51 PM

And supposedly we are interviewing Ron Meeks today. The significance of that is he is a minority, which gets that all of the way.

Seems Carl has started playing hardball with the Jets, and is just going to do the smart thing, and let Herm get fired, not give up picks.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-05-2006 12:52 PM

Although now watch...

Clayton reports in retaliation of making Chiefs GM Carl Peterson mad, he has decided to hire Jim Fassel to stick it to the man.

Although, at least Fassel has been to the Super Bowl, so you really couldn't complain...

the Talking Can 01-05-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
And supposedly we are interviewing Ron Meeks today. The significance of that is he is a minority, which gets that all of the way.

Seems Carl has started playing hardball with the Jets, and is just going to do the smart thing, and let Herm get fired, not give up picks.

uh, Herm ain't a whitey....

Hammock Parties 01-05-2006 12:52 PM

I have a feeling it's only delaying the inevitable.

siberian khatru 01-05-2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefqueen
However, a league source added that Peterson's gamble could cost him because if Edwards is fired, the Chiefs would have competition among other teams who would be interested in the Jets coach.

Maybe. Nothing a little extra money couldn't fix.

I'd rather spend Lamar's money on a coach then the team's draft picks.

chiefqueen 01-05-2006 12:53 PM

The Jets are reportedly already setting up interviews (Haslett). IMO doing this while they still have a HC disqualifies from us compensating them.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-05-2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can

Very true, but we haven't officially interviewed Herm for the job. That can only be done when agreeing on compensation per league's approval.

the Talking Can 01-05-2006 12:55 PM

for **** sake, go interview Rivera and Ferentz...or hire Saunders...save us from Dick Herm Edwards Schottenhiemer...

FringeNC 01-05-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can

I know, but it could be signaling the Jets that the Chiefs are ready to name Saunders HC if the Jets keep ****ing around.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-05-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
Maybe. Nothing a little extra money couldn't fix.

I'd rather spend Lamar's money on a coach then the team's draft picks.

Money would not be an issue. There is no cap for coaches. Lamar has more money than Gates, so it's no biggie. If Herm really wants to be with his buddy, once he gets fired he'll book a plane straight to KC

the Talking Can 01-05-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
I know, but it could be signaling the Jets that the Chiefs are ready to name Saunders HC if the Jets keep ****ing around.

ah, ok...that would make sense....

FloridaMan88 01-05-2006 12:57 PM

Hey Carl...

AL SAUNDERS

AL SAUNDERS

AL SAUNDERS

AL SAUNDERS