ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports The Fishing Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223680)

Easy 6 02-19-2010 07:58 PM

The Fishing Thread

Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?

max sleeper 02-19-2010 08:07 PM

Have been fishing the Kings on the south end of Table Rock the past 2 days no luck! The walleye should be running in the next week or 2... can't wait! They have been running water @ beaver dam and have been catching walleye in the Holiday Island area.

Easy 6 02-19-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max sleeper (Post 6545856)
Have been fishing the Kings on the south end of Table Rock the past 2 days no luck! The walleye should be running in the next week or 2... can't wait! They have been running water @ beaver dam and have been catching walleye in the Holiday Island area.

I've heard a lot about how awesome Table Rock is from a work buddy from MO, i'd love to check it out.

NewChief 02-19-2010 08:50 PM

I fish pretty much fly rod only. I do switch to soft plastics, finesse worms, senkos and crap like that on occasion when I'm fishing up at the inlaws house in Bella Vista. Unfortunately, fly fishing isn't always productive there. None of that gear is really "mine" though, and it's a hodge podge of crap. Sometimes I'm using a spinning rod, and sometimes it's a bait caster. Sometimes it's a freaking Batman pole. Just depends.

Easy 6 02-19-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6545898)
I fish pretty much fly rod only. I do switch to soft plastics, finesse worms, senkos and crap like that on occasion when I'm fishing up at the inlaws house in Bella Vista. Unfortunately, fly fishing isn't always productive there. None of that gear is really "mine" though, and it's a hodge podge of crap. Sometimes I'm using a spinning rod, and sometimes it's a bait caster. Sometimes it's a freaking Batman pole. Just depends.

Fly fishing to me is an art in itself, i've never felt i had the patience to pick it up.

Whats your favorite salt fish to go after?

NewChief 02-19-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6545923)
Fly fishing to me is an art in itself, i've never felt i had the patience to pick it up.

Whats your favorite salt fish to go after?

With a fly rod? The only saltwater fish I've caught with a flyrod are all upper panhandle fish like specks, redfish, ladyfish, and mackeral. Out of those, I think redfish are the most fun due to having to stalk them and being able to sight fish to actively feeding fish. But hell, really a school of -any- kind of saltwater fish is a lot of fun... nothing like a bunch of bluefish busting bait.

I've caught just about everything in the salt on conventional tackle, because my parents were -very- into saltwater fishing when I was growing up. I caught my first sailfish when I was in 5th grade. Dolphin/dorado are hard to beat, though. So much fun, and such good eating. I'd love to go bonefishing, though I'm not sure I'm a good enough caster to do it justice. I'd really, really like to fish for one of these babies, though (fishing buddy of mine in the pic):
http://www.mcflyshop.com/images/reports/papagallo.jpg

If you've never seen people target these bad boys, it's pretty awesome:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gMNPPKO56zk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gMNPPKO56zk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Catching a tarpon is also on my list.

Sully 02-19-2010 09:50 PM

I don't know shit about fishing. This thread is pretty much Greek to me. I'm goi g to go buy a cheap rod and reel pretty soon, and try to learn, though.

Easy 6 02-19-2010 09:50 PM

That fish is awesome NewPhin, what a thrill that must be... thats fishing on steroids. And like you say, the eating must be incredible... water to plate in minutes kind of fresh.

NewChief 02-19-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6545954)
That fish is awesome NewPhin, what a thrill that must be, what is that?... thats fishing on steroids. And like you say, the eating must be incredible... water to plate in minutes kind of fresh.

The fish in the video and the pic is a roosterfish (not really something you eat, because they're pretty rare), but yeah: nothing better than fresh fish straight from the ocean.

The roosters are crazy, because they'll follow your fly in as you strip it. You've got this 50lb beast hauling ass -toward- you... you're stripping in the fly... the beast is getting closer... you know that you're about to get it so close that it's not going to eat because it sees you and is about to run aground... you're also about to piss yourself, because you're standing in the water with a 50lb fish barreling straight toward you... you're muttering "eat ****er eat ****er eat ****er" under your breath... then with about 10ft. to go, the ****er eats. And proceeds to school your ass as it runs into your backing.

Easy 6 02-19-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6545960)
The fish in the video and the pic is a roosterfish (not really something you eat, because they're pretty rare), but yeah: nothing better than fresh fish straight from the ocean.

The roosters are crazy, because they'll follow your fly in as you strip it. You've got this 50lb beast hauling ass -toward- you... you're stripping in the fly... the beast is getting closer... you know that you're about to get it so close that it's not going to eat because it sees you and is about to run aground... you're also about to piss yourself, because you're standing in the water with a 50lb fish barreling straight toward you... you're muttering "eat ****er eat ****er eat ****er" under your breath... then with about 10ft. to go, the ****er eats. And proceeds to school your ass as it runs into your backing.

Yeah, i was relieved at the end when its released, i'd feel way too guilty in most circumstances about killing such a beautiful fish.

Great job explaining the thrill, having a boat is one thing but reeling in a torpedo on foot must be very intimidating indeed... real monsters just offshore.

Tits McGee 02-20-2010 12:19 AM

Just picked up a sweet Seeker rod, reactor series, for fresh water fishing.

Tylerthigpen!1! 02-20-2010 04:23 AM

Ugh I have trouble casting my baitcaster. Eww.

Saccopoo 02-20-2010 05:04 AM

I'll fly, spin, cast, troll, deep rig, or what have you depending upon the situation.

Fly fishing pisses me off more than anything. More that golf. It takes skill and patience and knowledge and luck.

Spin fishing is the most well rounded. The easiest, and I find myself doing more of it of late because of that.

Bait casting is the "in-between" of fly and spin. Depends on the situation. My least favorite.

Trolling is necessary in terms of the environment. Big fish go for big tackle. Can be as frustrating as fly fishing and as rewarding.

I've never open water spear fished, though I know it has a loyal hard-core following.

Stewie 02-20-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylerthigpen!1! (Post 6546204)
Ugh I have trouble casting my baitcaster. Eww.

Heh! I remember practicing with the first bait caster I got. I spent hours untangling the rat's nest I could create with ease. Two second cast, 20 minutes getting the damn thing back in working order.

I've only done fly fishing lately and that's when in the mountains of Colorado. I love it. It was frustrating when I first took it up a few years ago because it's a totally different way to fish (narrow streams and really finicky fish). The local bait stores are your friend, for sure. "Match the hatch" is so true in fly fishing, especially in mountain streams. Be sure to wear polarized sunglasses, too. That way you can see all the fish you're not catching. :D

I have a hodge-podge of other fishing gear. Nothing fancy but it suits my needs. I can throw a rock and hit Shawnee Mission Park Lake from where I live, but never go there. I've been tempted to do the spring trout fishing but have never done it. Maybe this year will be the year.

MahiMike 02-20-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6545939)
With a fly rod? The only saltwater fish I've caught with a flyrod are all upper panhandle fish like specks, redfish, ladyfish, and mackeral. Out of those, I think redfish are the most fun due to having to stalk them and being able to sight fish to actively feeding fish. But hell, really a school of -any- kind of saltwater fish is a lot of fun... nothing like a bunch of bluefish busting bait.

I've caught just about everything in the salt on conventional tackle, because my parents were -very- into saltwater fishing when I was growing up. I caught my first sailfish when I was in 5th grade. Dolphin/dorado are hard to beat, though. So much fun, and such good eating. I'd love to go bonefishing, though I'm not sure I'm a good enough caster to do it justice. I'd really, really like to fish for one of these babies, though (fishing buddy of mine in the pic):
http://www.mcflyshop.com/images/reports/papagallo.jpg

If you've never seen people target these bad boys, it's pretty awesome:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gMNPPKO56zk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gMNPPKO56zk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Catching a tarpon is also on my list.

Awesome pic! Nothing beats saltwater fishing - especially in Florida. We're headed to the Keys Labor Day week. Catch mangrove snapper, sharks and tarpon right off the dock. Of course offshore 20 miles is my namesake fish - Mahi. When you hit a school of them, you just leave one in the water and the rest of them stay behind the boat. They're so hungry, you catch them dozens at a time. Last time we had a half a trash can full. Sweet.

Bill Lundberg 02-20-2010 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the bounty from my first and only Saltwater fishing experience so far. Mostly Grunts, Mangrove Snappers and Trigger fish. After catching them the guide cleaned them and the bar/grill next to the dock cooked a mess of them for us. Absolutely mouthwatering delicious!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs200...._5782065_n.jpg

Iowanian 02-20-2010 10:37 AM

I have fished since I was a kid. I can pretty much own a farm pond, but I struggle on bigger water. I fish Bull Shoals, without much success.

I tell people I'm a bass fisherman, but I also like chasing big flatheads on the river. I'm a bait caster guy, and used to practice on dry land spot casting when I was board. It wasn't uncommon in college for us to be outside, drinking beer, casting worms at a coffee can after class.

If I could have 2 baits, I'd take a 7" plastic worm setup with my prefered brand and color combo and a buzz bait, or a Bill Dance Excalibur, baby bass.

I also have a bow fishing rig and plan on killing alot of carp this spring-summer.

The biggest issue has been time...too much work, not enough play, and when I've done much fishing the past 2 years, it has been putting pieces of worms on a princess snoopy rod and taking sunfish off of tiny hooks.

seclark 02-20-2010 10:50 AM

i love to fish...any kind of fishing's better than not fishing.

nights camping out on the river. running lines, and sitting on a sand bar fishing for flatheads.

hand fishing = best
sec

Radar Chief 02-20-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6545846)
With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

Most cats are on the bottom so bobber fishing for them isn't any good anyway.
With the bait your using your also pretty much guaranteeing that you'll only catch channel cats with an occasional blue cat here and there.
To catch big cats you need to be on the bottom with live bait. The bigger the better because big cats like a mouthful.

NewChief 02-20-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 6546440)
I have fished since I was a kid. I can pretty much own a farm pond, but I struggle on bigger water. I fish Bull Shoals, without much success.

I tell people I'm a bass fisherman, but I also like chasing big flatheads on the river. I'm a bait caster guy, and used to practice on dry land spot casting when I was board. It wasn't uncommon in college for us to be outside, drinking beer, casting worms at a coffee can after class.

If I could have 2 baits, I'd take a 7" plastic worm setup with my prefered brand and color combo and a buzz bait, or a Bill Dance Excalibur, baby bass.

I also have a bow fishing rig and plan on killing alot of carp this spring-summer.

The biggest issue has been time...too much work, not enough play, and when I've done much fishing the past 2 years, it has been putting pieces of worms on a princess snoopy rod and taking sunfish off of tiny hooks.

I'm in love with a shaky head setup on the plastic worm. Just deadly.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7-xktoD6rw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7-xktoD6rw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NewChief 02-20-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 6546369)
Awesome pic! Nothing beats saltwater fishing - especially in Florida. We're headed to the Keys Labor Day week. Catch mangrove snapper, sharks and tarpon right off the dock. Of course offshore 20 miles is my namesake fish - Mahi. When you hit a school of them, you just leave one in the water and the rest of them stay behind the boat. They're so hungry, you catch them dozens at a time. Last time we had a half a trash can full. Sweet.

Yup. Love fishing for the mahi mahi. We call them dorado because that's what they call them in mexico. I mentioned that that is one of my favorite fish to catch as well. Delicious for ceviche.

MOhillbilly 02-20-2010 11:31 AM

i fish the bass pro spinning rod special about 200 retail but you can pick em up for around a bill at the outlet store.
Far as bait i use whatever walmart is close to sold out of(thats under 5 bucks), mostly smallmouth & panfish gear.

I like to run trots and catch frogs & crawdads at night w/ snorkel gear these days.

seclark 02-20-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6546549)
I like to run trots and catch frogs & crawdads at night w/ snorkel gear these days.

that sounds very cool...
sec

Radar Chief 02-20-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6546549)
i fish the bass pro spinning rod special about 200 retail but you can pick em up for around a bill at the outlet store.
Far as bait i use whatever walmart is close to sold out of(thats under 5 bucks), mostly smallmouth & panfish gear.

Gear-head Wrenching buddy digs frog gigging.
I don't like frog legs enough to screw with it.

Stewie 02-20-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 6546531)
Most cats are on the bottom so bobber fishing for them isn't any good anyway.
With the bait your using your also pretty much guaranteeing that you'll only catch channel cats with an occasional blue cat here and there.
To catch big cats you need to be on the bottom with live bait. The bigger the better because big cats like a mouthful.

I used to fish a pond (7 acres) that was loaded with bass/crappie/catfish and was rarely fished. When we were lazy or tired of working/walking the banks with jigs or spinners we'd throw a minnow on a hook/bobber rig and sit back and drink some cold ones. We'd catch the occasional non-cat, but when a cat hit the line you knew it immediately. What a blast! They'd immediately head to the deep part of the pond and put up a hell of a fight. Great eating, too.

Radar Chief 02-20-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 6546690)
I used to fish a pond (7 acres) that was loaded with bass/crappie/catfish and was rarely fished. When we were lazy or tired of working/walking the banks with jigs or spinners we'd throw a minnow on a hook/bobber rig and sit back and drink some cold ones. We'd catch the occasional non-cat, but when a cat hit the line you knew it immediately. What a blast! They'd immediately head to the deep part of the pond and put up a hell of a fight. Great eating, too.

Yea, I've got a friend on the south edge of town that has a nice pond on his land that he stocked with 500 fingerling channel when the pond was built. Now it's overrun with 5-7# channel.
They're in there so thick we've caught them on a chunk of hot-dog fishing 2' down from a bobber. They also hit so fast its difficult to drink a beer. As soon as I would cast out and the hot-dog hit the end of the line a channel cat would be on top of it.
Bad thing is he doesn't want anyone taking anything out, it's catch and release only, so I don't mess with his pond much.
It's certainly possible to catch cat fish on a bobber, I've even caught them withing a couple feet of shore, but those channel from my friends pond are about the biggest I've seen caught that way. The big ones are usually closer to the bottom.

Radar Chief 02-20-2010 02:15 PM

What I'll do for going after big cats is go out in the afternoon with a light pole and some worms so I can catch a bucket full of perch. Then I'll head out to my "honey hole" making sure I can get set up before sunset with my river rigs.
My river rigs are a couple of 7' glass rods, medium action, and I'm using bait caster reels with a "bait alarm". What that does is allow me to unlock the reel so it can free spool but when line is taken out it will make a loud clicking noise.
Flat heads in particular are a very wiley predator. They don't get big by being stupid.
And what they'll typically do is when the grab a perch, or whatever live bait your using, they won't take it compeletly into their mouths at first. They'll grab it by the head and kind of walk around with it seeing if there is a bigger mouthful to be had for not much more effort. If there is they'll spit your bait out and go after the bigger reward. If there isn't they'll stop and swallow their meal. While they're going through this process, if they feel an odd tug back on the perch they've got in their mouth they'll spit it out immediatly. That's where allowing the reel to free spool with the bait alarm on comes in handy. Even then I can't tell you how many times I've missed setting the hook on a big ole flat head. It becomes a test of nerves, waiting for the right time to set the hook.

Luke 02-20-2010 02:26 PM

fishing

As a kid I was just a bait slinger. I remember going jugging and using trot lines with my Dad. Loads of fun plus I learned alot about my Dad. Ms. Luke introduced me to fly-fishing at Roaring River and no pun intended I have been hooked ever since.

My best fish story. My last trip to Roaring River I snagged a fellas line. I released my line, laid my rod down and watched as (3) three other fellas also snagged the guys line. The rightful owner eventually landed a nice trout and we all had a good laugh at the predicament.ROFL

Easy 6 02-20-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 6546531)
With the bait your using your also pretty much guaranteeing that you'll only catch channel cats with an occasional blue cat here and there. To catch big cats you need to be on the bottom with live bait. The bigger the better because big cats like a mouthful.

Whats a good bait for blues & flatheads honestly, maybe a shad lip hooked & weighted to the bottom?

I have to be careful though, i cant go after River Monsters with my current rigs, but any advice on anything is appreciated from everyone.

Radar Chief 02-20-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6547903)
Whats a good bait for blues & flatheads honestly, maybe a shad lip hooked & weighted to the bottom?

I have to be careful though, i cant go after River Monsters with my current rigs, but any advice on anything is appreciated from everyone.

Just about any live bait, perch, shad, goldfish, hellgramites, I've even caught them on a big wad of worms and know guys that have caught them on frogs, snakes and field mice. Yes field mice, just don't ask me how they rigged that one up.
What I'll do is take a perch about the size of your hand and hook him in the back behind the dorsal fin. It doesn't harm them badly so they live on the hook longer and stay more active than if they're hooked through the mouth, because activity is what will draw a flathead in.
Blues will hit on all the above also but I've heard that cut bait works particularly well for them. Take a shad, live or dead, then take a fillet knife and and cut it several times down both sides because the fresh blood is what will attract blues.
Channels will bite on all this bait also so your not really missing out on anything by going live bait.
As far as how I'm rigging this up I'm using 0-0000 circle hooks, 24" or so of steel leader on a barrel swivel and a 2 to 8 ounce "egg" slip sinker. My line is only 30# mono so I'm really not rigged all that big.

Easy 6 02-20-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 6547942)
Just about any live bait, perch, shad, goldfish, hellgramites, I've even caught them on a big wad of worms and know guys that have caught them on frogs, snakes and field mice. Yes field mice, just don't ask me how they rigged that one up.
What I'll do is take a perch about the size of your hand and hook him in the back behind the dorsal fin. It doesn't harm them badly so they live on the hook longer and stay more active than if they're hooked through the mouth, because activity is what will draw a flathead in.
Blues will hit on all the above also but I've heard that cut bait works particularly well for them. Take a shad, live or dead, then take a fillet knife and and cut it several times down both sides because the fresh blood is what will attract blues.
Channels will bite on all this bait also so your not really missing out on anything by going live bait.
As far as how I'm rigging this up I'm using 0-0000 circle hooks, 24" or so of steel leader on a barrel swivel and a 2 to 8 ounce "egg" slip sinker. My line is only 30# mono so I'm really not rigged all that big.

Tons of great advice in all of your posts, you obviously know your stuff. Do you usually fish rivers or lakes?

Easy 6 02-20-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6546644)
that sounds very cool...
sec

Definitely, you never know what might show up on a trot line, exciting way to fish because of the variety, might be a big billy gar trying to take your finger off...

ZootedGranny 02-21-2010 12:41 AM

Fished a lot as a kid, and picked it back up four or five years ago. Every year the cabin fever gets worse, and this year it's terrible, especially since I got a taste of Truman Lake. I mainly hit up Longview & Blue Springs with my old man, and beat the banks at James A Reed every once in a while.

Every year I try to fully learn a new technique or lure, and this year I plan to get into jerkbaits & drop shotting.

Easy 6 02-21-2010 01:23 AM

I love all of fishings contradictions that are ALL yet very true... 'dark colors in dark water', no! some will say, its bright colors in dark water ... 'nah see, ya work a grub slowly'

Yet i've proven tons of hard & fast fishing rules wrong, many times over.

You guys in the tropics are so lucky... all year round & saltwater to boot.

Saccopoo 02-21-2010 05:04 AM

Depends. I loathe fly fishing, but I do it because of the situations. It's just so much of a pain in the ass in terms of digging under rocks for hatchlings and watching the surface for the rise, etc. It's a shit ton of work. I like the beer after fly fishing more than anything. It just seems to taste better.

Trolling gets the big ones, but it's almost as frustrating as fly fishing. You see the bigguns on the radar, but they never move no mater what you drag past them.

As of last year, I was enjoying spin casting for big pike more than anything. Hit hard as hell, and it's an adventure just to get them off the lure and back into the water.

NewChief 02-21-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 6548416)
Depends. I loathe fly fishing, but I do it because of the situations. It's just so much of a pain in the ass in terms of digging under rocks for hatchlings and watching the surface for the rise, etc. It's a shit ton of work. I like the beer after fly fishing more than anything. It just seems to taste better.

You -loathe- it? :spock:

I'm not sure I'd do any hobby I loathe, but anyway. Your post reminds me of one of my friends who won't pick up fly fishing. His objection: it's too hard to drink beer and fly fish at the same time.

Radar Chief 02-21-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6547971)
Tons of great advice in all of your posts, you obviously know your stuff.

Thanks. :thumb: I've been reading up on flat heads because I caught a big one, well big by my standards not necessarily big by flat head standards, totally by accident a few years ago so I'm now hooked on going after big cats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6547971)
Do you usually fish rivers or lakes?

Both and it's seasonal.
I like getting out to the river in early spring when the rains and ice melt have it swollen and rolling. This is what triggers their pre-spawn feed, particularly that first big wash of water coming down stream. It brings a whole bunch of catfish food down with it and the big cats will be out patrolling looking to fill the empty spot after the winter slow down and to load up on carbs before the spawn.
When that slows down I like to head for the mud flats of a lake because that's where they'll start staging for the spawn.
After the spawn there's a slow down as the females become disinterested in feeding and males are guarding the nests. This is usually around July to August and during this time you'll have to drop your bait on top of a male to get him to bite.
This is about the time I'll switch to fishing for bass, crappie or channel cat. I really dig top water fishing for bass and July to August is a great time of year for that.
After about mid August, after the eggs have hatched and the males have come off their nests, they and the females will go into post spawn feed mode loading up for the winter slow down. At this time I'll hit the river if there has been a storm, or Redman is dumping, and the water is coming up but otherwise stick mostly to the lakes.

Radar Chief 02-21-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 6548416)
I loathe fly fishing,

Blasphemer!
I love fly fishing but there just isn't much of a call for that in SE Kansas.
I'll occasionally take mine out to catch perch or jig for crappies and small bass just for fun but usually get worn out on getting snagged in every tree in sight trying to cast it. I know, there's techniques and I can work them but it still gets annoying when I could just go out with my light spin cast rod and do just as good with less hassle.

Dartgod 02-21-2010 09:36 AM

Bwana started this one about 5 years ago.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112902

Looks like it got lost though. No one has posted in it since 2008.

I'm headed down to Bennett Springs in a couple of weeks for some trout fishing. Me and three of my buds do this annually and is always a good time.

Radar Chief 02-21-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 6548569)
I'm headed down to Bennett Springs in a couple of weeks for some trout fishing. Me and three of my buds do this annually and is always a good time.

To catch opening day?
Seems like we've talked about that before.

Dartgod 02-21-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 6548582)
To catch opening day?
Seems like we've talked about that before.

No, the following weekend. It will be bad enough then, I will probably never do opening day. To ****ing many people for me.

And yes, I've discussed Bennett Springs before in Bwana's fishing thread.

Stewie 02-21-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 6548594)
No, the following weekend. It will be bad enough then, I will probably never do opening day. To ****ing many people for me.

And yes, I've discussed Bennett Springs before in Bwana's fishing thread.

I did opening day once... once!

Radar Chief 02-21-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 6548657)
I did opening day once... once!

I've seen pictures of it.
Not something I'm in a hurry to get in the middle of.

Radar Chief 02-21-2010 12:02 PM

BTW, here's a site that tracks John Redman Lake.
It's level, inflow, output. Comes in handy.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/JOHN.lakepage.html

You can even check in on monitoring stations up and down the Neosho River.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/web...1.current.html

These have been very handy sites for me so I thought I would pass them along.

Demonpenz 02-22-2010 09:03 AM

Zebco power baby!

Terribilis 02-22-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 6546862)
What I'll do for going after big cats is go out in the afternoon with a light pole and some worms so I can catch a bucket full of perch. Then I'll head out to my "honey hole" making sure I can get set up before sunset with my river rigs.
My river rigs are a couple of 7' glass rods, medium action, and I'm using bait caster reels with a "bait alarm". What that does is allow me to unlock the reel so it can free spool but when line is taken out it will make a loud clicking noise.
Flat heads in particular are a very wiley predator. They don't get big by being stupid.
And what they'll typically do is when the grab a perch, or whatever live bait your using, they won't take it compeletly into their mouths at first. They'll grab it by the head and kind of walk around with it seeing if there is a bigger mouthful to be had for not much more effort. If there is they'll spit your bait out and go after the bigger reward. If there isn't they'll stop and swallow their meal. While they're going through this process, if they feel an odd tug back on the perch they've got in their mouth they'll spit it out immediatly. That's where allowing the reel to free spool with the bait alarm on comes in handy. Even then I can't tell you how many times I've missed setting the hook on a big ole flat head. It becomes a test of nerves, waiting for the right time to set the hook.

exactly the method I used to use. I would hook the perch just above the anal fin, and cut so it would bleed in the water. It would sometimes take hours, but that sound of that big cat pulling line out of the bait caster, was pretty intense. One of my favorite ways to fish when I was a kid

Jilly 02-22-2010 10:01 AM

Apparently my husband is going to start taking on fishing as a new hobby....anyone have suggestions as to a cheap first rod to get?

Demonpenz 02-22-2010 10:03 AM

there aren't any cheap broads

Easy 6 02-22-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 6550678)
there aren't any cheap broads

LMAO

Jilly, tell him to get a Zebco Rhino rod & reel combo, only $40. Its pretty hard to screw one of those up.

loochy 02-22-2010 10:22 AM

Does anyone ever fly fish for bass? I've tried a couple of times with no luck, but I'm not an accurate enough caster to get up under tree limbs and in weed pockets, etc. I think the prospect of getting a 7 lb largemouth sounds fun in contrast to catching 1 to 2 lb rainbows.

Also, does anyone fly tie? I have tied about 10 times more flies than I can ever use. I live in Texas, so I get over to New Mexico to fly fish mabye 1 or 2 times a year.

Jilly 02-22-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6550707)
LMAO

Jilly, tell him to get a Zebco Rhino rod & reel combo, only $40. Its pretty hard to screw one of those up.

thank you

Radar Chief 02-22-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 6550708)
Does anyone ever fly fish for bass? I've tried a couple of times with no luck, but I'm not an accurate enough caster to get up under tree limbs and in weed pockets, etc. I think the prospect of getting a 7 lb largemouth sounds fun in contrast to catching 1 to 2 lb rainbows.

Also, does anyone fly tie? I have tied about 10 times more flies than I can ever use. I live in Texas, so I get over to New Mexico to fly fish mabye 1 or 2 times a year.

Yes to both.
I’ve had moderate luck fly fishing top water poppers for bass.
I’ve tied flies, still have all the gear to do it but it’s been years since I’ve actually tied one.

tooge 02-22-2010 10:57 AM

I'll fish for anything with anything. I like flyrodding for trout and smallies in the rivers of Mo and Ar. I walleye fish up in Mn and Wi every summer. Around here (KC) I fish alot for crappie and catfish at smithville and I have a few private ponds including mine that I frequent. I use spinning gear for thall the fishing that I dont do with a flyrod. I've fishied in salt water in California and Florida. I caught a 20 lb redfish last year in the Destin area from shore with a shrimp rig ( I was actually fishing for pompano). I am going ice fishing in Minnisota this thrusday trough saturday. I am literally dying of cabin fever right now.

Bill Lundberg 02-22-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 6550796)
I am literally dying of cabin fever right now.

You and me both! I sat around watching Bass Masters and restringing two reels yesterday. Also re-arranged the tackle box about 10 times.

NewChief 02-22-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Yes to both.

I fish for bass with a fly rod all the time. It is definitely not as productive as traditional gear, and you're probably not going to catch the 7+ lb. lunker. That being said, there are times of the year when it's absolutely deadly. Fishing with a large popper is also a hell of a lot of fun.

I also fish for smallmouth on our Ozark streams: crayfish patterns and baitfish patterns are very effective with them, especially on a sink tip line.

Our whole circle of fly fishermen down here are all about pursuing non-trout species. We fish for it all with fly rods: white bass, stripers, hybrids, gar, smallies, largemouth, etc... We love to trout fish as well, but there are just too many other great species around in a lot cooler places than the trout.

I used to tie a lot. I mean pretty much for an hour every night. Since I have small children now, I don't have a good place to leave out all the sharp implements associated with tying. Getting the stuff out and putting it away is a serious pain, so I usually just tie if I have a big trip coming up or at the start of some fishing season (like I'm about to start tying for the white bass run soon).

I love to fish New Mexico. We go to Santa Fe every couple of years. I'm heading out there this summer and will probably fish the Jemez.

Easy 6 02-22-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg (Post 6550808)
Also re-arranged the tackle box about 10 times.

Same here lol, atleast that many times in the last month.

Radar Chief 02-22-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 6550796)
I am literally dying of cabin fever right now.

Man that’s no shit. This winter is driving me crazy.
I haven’t been working on my fishing gear yet, been busy with the Corveep. But since that’s what gets my gear and I into places most have to hike into I’m sort of vicariously working on fishing gear. ;)

tooge 02-22-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

I usually tie flies the night before a flyfishing trip. Usually in a motel room. I end up tying flyes and tying one on at the same time. I can always tell which flies were after a couple of whiskeys the next day on the water.

Radar Chief 02-22-2010 02:36 PM

So of the guys that tie flies, do you also tie your own jigs?
I have but it’s been about as long as the last time I tied a fly.

loochy 02-22-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 6550943)
I usually tie flies the night before a flyfishing trip. Usually in a motel room. I end up tying flyes and tying one on at the same time. I can always tell which flies were after a couple of whiskeys the next day on the water.

I used to have a pedestal vise that I used to tie flies streamside in the car. That worked well until a breeze would blow through and flip over my container of size 20 hooks. :cuss:

loochy 02-22-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 6551300)
So of the guys that tie flies, do you also tie your own jigs?
I have but it’s been about as long as the last time I tied a fly.

I've never done any jigs...I've done some large bead heads, which are sort of like a jig. Does that count?

tooge 02-22-2010 03:34 PM

I dont tie my own jigs now, but the cost is starting to get up there for hair jigs and they could probably be tied alot cheaper buying bulk heads at a place like rogers and tying them myself. I may go that route eventually.

Radar Chief 02-22-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 6551347)
I used to have a pedestal vise that I used to tie flies streamside in the car. That worked well until a breeze would blow through and flip over my container of size 20 hooks. :cuss:

That had to suck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 6551351)
I've never done any jigs...I've done some large bead heads, which are sort of like a jig. Does that count?

Were you tying marabou feathers to a hook?
Close enough to a jig for me. :shrug:
In fact I used to make headless jigs, marabou feathers on a #12 or 14 hook, in black and yellow for my dad. He would work them with a short flick of the end of his fly rod and taking up a handful of slack. That gave off the appearance of an escaping minnow and he could pull fish from all sorts of cover with them.

loochy 02-22-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 6551489)
Were you tying marabou feathers to a hook?

Yeah, those bead head wooly buggers have marabou tails.

Damn, I didn't really have cabin fever until I read this thread. Thanks a lot guys.

Easy 6 02-22-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 6546440)

I struggle with rivers, working with currents etc... usually end up just casting near the bank.

Great choices for go-to lures.

Heh, what i wouldnt give to have mine that age again... i'd always set'em up with something similar, but they'd both see me actively casting & decide 'hey! this bobber stuffs a drag!', so of course i'd always set them up & then spend the day pulling hooks out of bushes & trees ahaha. Wouldnt trade those days for anything.

Silock 02-22-2010 08:39 PM

I seriously thought this said "The fisting thread" at first.

I'm a creep, apparently.

NewChief 02-22-2010 08:40 PM

Jigs=

I do an epoxy head fly called a jiggy for white bass. It's pretty much a jig.

http://www.saltwaterflies.com/jiggy_fly.html

Easy 6 02-22-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6552274)
I seriously thought this said "The fisting thread" at first.

I'm a creep, apparently.

Well, you did come up with that Mind Blowingly Incestous Star Wars Tale...

Silock 02-22-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6552284)
Well, you did come up with that Mind Blowingly Incestous Star Wars Tale...

I reposted that. I WISH I had come up with that.

Easy 6 02-22-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6552426)
I reposted that. I WISH I had come up with that.

Oh well, still a great thread... still a Lunker of Tale, (:spock:)... yea, i'm sorry, i...

Radar Chief 02-23-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6552265)
I struggle with rivers, working with currents etc... usually end up just casting near the bank.

I think a lot of people make this mistake.
If you’re fishing in the current you’re pretty much wasting time. The fish aren’t out in the current unless they’re moving somewhere else. Otherwise they’re in the slow spots where they don’t have to fight the current.
Look for creek mouth that feeds the river, eddies around bends, if there’s a log jam fish on the down stream side of that, anywhere that the water is swirling or moving slow. That’s where the fish will be stacked up when the river is up and rolling.

Easy 6 02-23-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 6553075)
If you’re fishing in the current you’re pretty much wasting time. The fish aren’t out in the current unless they’re moving somewhere else. Otherwise they’re in the slow spots where they don’t have to fight the current.
Look for creek mouth that feeds the river, eddies around bends, if there’s a log jam fish on the down stream side of that, anywhere that the water is swirling or moving slow. That’s where the fish will be stacked up when the river is up and rolling.

Makes sense, another knowledgeable post... thanks RC.

Radar Chief 02-23-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6553087)
Makes sense, another knowledgeable post... thanks RC.

No problem, glad to help. :thumb:
Besides I’d like to see a lot more people get involved in river fishing. We’re gradually losing access to what were once public water ways and the only thing that will stop the complete shut down of all access is enthusiast voicing their opinions.

MOhillbilly 02-23-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6546644)
that sounds very cool...
sec

it is fun, but not for those easly spooked or cant swim worth shit. I went with a guy and he aint much of an outdoorsman but he can sure kickass at -insert gaming system here-.
went late last year and in about 2 hours i had about 8-10# of crawdads in my bag and he had about 5# of rocks. He was kickin around so much that a few times i thought he might drown.

But it coulda been the kickin chicken just the same....

MOhillbilly 02-23-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

i always fish below the 'v' in swift moving waters. Light sinker and worm, just let it work its way down.

Otter 02-23-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Fish are often inside fast current behind a rock, log or other obstruction where the current is disrupted. As a matter of fact I found it to be one the best places to fish because the faster current brings more food down. The fish see the food, pop out of the hiding spot and back in until next morsel comes along.

As far at the original thread; I'm a huge fly fisherman. I just don't want to talk about it right now because I'm snowed in and can't go right now. It's like needing to get laid then exacerbating the problem by looking at nudie mags.

:D

NewChief 02-23-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 6553229)
Fish are often inside fast current behind a rock, log or other obstruction where the current is disrupted. As a matter of fact I found it to be one the best places to fish because the faster current brings more food down. The fish see the food, pop out of the hiding spot and back in until next morsel comes along.

As far at the original thread; I'm a huge fly fisherman. I just don't want to talk about it right now because I'm snowed in and can't go right now. It's like needing to get laid then exacerbating the problem by looking at nudie mags.

I think a lot of the difference in opinion on river holding water is due to the different species that people are targeting.

Radar Chief 02-23-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Agreed. This is actually what the big cats are doing in a creek mouth, behind a log jam, around a bend or wherever. They’re sitting in the slow water watching the current sweep stuff by. If something tasty looking goes by, something worth the effort of getting out in the current to go after, they’ll attack.
Same principal, larger structures.

Quote:

I hear ya. This has been a particularly long, cold, harsh winter and I’m going stir crazy.
I’ve also got the fever to go shoot something. Gear-head Wrenching buddy traded his Sigma for a Charles Daly 1911 and when he came over to show it off it just made my shooting itch that much worse.

Radar Chief 02-23-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6553280)
I think a lot of the difference in opinion on river holding water is due to the different species that people are targeting.

I think we’re talking a different current too.
When you look out across the river and see it sweeping trees with a 3’ diameter trunk, or bigger, down stream you’re not going to find many fish out fighting that current. The ones that are out there are on the move somewhere, or like Otter posted popping up just long enough to grab a morsel then back into the slow spots.
You’re also going to have a hard time keeping bait on your hook or putting enough sinker on it to keep it down.

Contrarian 02-23-2010 01:09 PM

There aren't many pictures on here so I thought I would throw up one of my own.
This is a spoony I caught last summer by Truman dam when we were fishing for crappie. Caught on a crappie pole with 6 lb test.
Thank god for Trilene high performance!
[IMG]C:\Users\jdozier\Pictures\photo1.jpg[/IMG]

hope this link works!:D