ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life My virtual run across America, and a business idea. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=220713)

Rain Man 12-29-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 6389831)
Every time I click on "Choose Partner" I get a script error.

I'm 59141

The Choose Partner thing is finicky. Try getting out and then logging back on, and I bet it works.

Simply Red 12-29-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6389155)
So I'm getting over my little knee problem and have started running again, and I thought it'd be cool to plot my progress on a map of the U.S., running across the country. I've always thought it would be cool to walk across the U.S., but I can't figure out how to get my work done in that scenario, so this is my fallback.

And then I thought, "Hmm, this is a pretty good idea for a website. If I started a website, could I get enough people to sell some advertising and stuff and maybe make some money?"

So I went out looking to see if it's already out there. The concept isn't overly innovative, so I see a fair amount of sites out there that talk about it, but they all seem to be pretty lame. Here's a map, print it, color in your progress with a crayon kind of stuff.

What I'd like is a web site where you plot your progress and then see a google maps street view of your location, and then a virtual tour of towns that you walk through, and an atlas so you can pick your route as you go, and an interactive map so you can plot your route. That doesn't exist.

Is there money in this? What's the revenue model? Any web designers out there who would want to collaborate on this?

In my 15 minutes of looking, I found one web site that's actually kind of close, though it's still basic. http://exercise.lbl.gov/index.html is a federal government site, and they do the street view pictures, which is pretty cool, and the online log. However, they only give you one route, an inexplicable Yorktown, Virginia, to Florence, Oregon, route, and you can't vary from that. Also, you don't get local information along your route as far as I can tell.

I signed up for it, though, since it's the best option out there, and am now 11 miles into my journey. I've left Yorktown and am now on this nice road about 2 miles from Williamsburg. Anyone else want to wander along?

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=52

It's incredibly evident what you do for a living. Love it.

Rain Man 12-29-2009 04:58 PM

Based on our experience so far, I'm deciding that this site isn't strong competition. But if our ID numbers are really linear and there are 59,000 people, there's a demand.

patteeu 12-29-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 6389544)
What did you do to your knee?

I ask because I average running about 10 miles a week on my treadmill and I did something to my knee a couple of weeks ago on a Bowflex. It's swollen in the back, cracks, pops, and every once in a while when I step it feels like it wants to give out. More annoying than anything but I've been resting it for about a week and am wondering when I should bite the bullet and have it looked at.

I'm 49 btw and have never had a knee problem like this. Ticking me off and I'm getting lazy.

Your knee forgot your birthday and thinks it's 50.

patteeu 12-29-2009 06:46 PM

I was going to sign up, but I'm out of breath reading this thread so I guess I'm out.

ziggysocki 12-30-2009 07:22 AM

Ok, so I just completed another 3.7 miles across the virtual Virginia countryside. At least the 2 new inches of snow made the ice a little less slippery. :D . I am now 4 miles from Jamestown VA, going up a hill.

Rain Man 12-30-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 6391187)
Ok, so I just completed another 3.7 miles across the virtual Virginia countryside. At least the 2 new inches of snow made the ice a little less slippery. :D . I am now 4 miles from Jamestown VA, going up a hill.

I got an email today that said you passed me. Damn you.

I'm 6 miles from Jamestown. Just got passed by a car. Nice scenery, but not much room for us runners.

Dartgod, I've got you partnered up now and can see you on my map. Did you get the partner thing to work?

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=67

Dartgod 12-30-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6391689)
Dartgod, I've got you partnered up now and can see you on my map. Did you get the partner thing to work?

I did, but do not see how to join the Chiefsplanet team. I can only create a team.

Rain Man 12-30-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 6391701)
I did, but do not see how to join the Chiefsplanet team. I can only create a team.

Yeah, we've pretty much decided that each person has to create their own team. Not sure why.

Rain Man 01-01-2010 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm about one-third of the way to Richmond now. 32.4 miles down, 4,055.6 to go. Not sure what's going on with those cars on the side of the road.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=147

ziggysocki 01-01-2010 05:07 PM

Dang Rain Man, you have logged a bunch of miles this week. You better take it easy or you are gonna make that knee flare up again. I have a 9 miler tomorrow, so I will start getting caught back up with you.

Rain Man 01-01-2010 05:09 PM

I did a slow 12 miles today, my longest since the knee thing flared up, but my secret weapon is 3.8 miles round trip to work each day. As long as I don't have to drive, I can pile up miles during the week. Granted, those are walking miles, but they still count in my book since they're voluntary miles.

ziggysocki 01-01-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6396866)
I did a slow 12 miles today, my longest since the knee thing flared up, but my secret weapon is 3.8 miles round trip to work each day. As long as I don't have to drive, I can pile up miles during the week. Granted, those are walking miles, but they still count in my book since they're voluntary miles.

Sure... lots of folks say the health benefits of walking are almost the same as running, just a bit slower. You have inspired me to do the same. I could gain an additional 2 miles a day if I walk to work, home for lunch, back to work and then home again.

stumppy 01-01-2010 05:25 PM

Got a question. If I sign up for this do I have to get out and actually walk the miles I log in ?
I'm thinking you could make your new website a lot more fun and appealing if people didn't have to get out and really walk/run the miles they are logging in. If we all could just type in some arbitrary number of miles we "walked" it would leave more time for surfing the internet, or eating ice cream, or....whatever you wanted to do.

Yea, I could get with an excersise program like that.

Rain Man 01-01-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 6396921)
Got a question. If I sign up for this do I have to get out and actually walk the miles I log in ?
I'm thinking you could make your new website a lot more fun and appealing if people didn't have to get out and really walk/run the miles they are logging in. If we all could just type in some arbitrary number of miles we "walked" it would leave more time for surfing the internet, or eating ice cream, or....whatever you wanted to do.

Yea, I could get with an excersise program like that.

This is a great idea. So maybe just have people enter a random number when they come to Chiefsplanet.