ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life My virtual run across America, and a business idea. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=220713)

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-29-2009 04:09 PM

I applaud your ingenuity of a great concept to make money. Follow it thru. I could see this as a good idea!

ziggysocki 12-29-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6389679)
Oh, hey. If I go to the map and ask it to show me the teams, it shows two Chiefsplaneteers teams. I'm not sure what that means. I tried twice to create a team and got errors, so it could be mine showing up, or it could be rageumr's team showing up on at least one of them.

You're both showing up as my partners, too, both with 11 miles.

When I do that, it shows us all with 0 miles... ROFL

here is the explanation, makes sense I guess...

We have adjusted your partner(s) mileage so that both you and your partners start at the same point. Virtual partners who started before you have had their mileage set to your mileage on your start date.

So it is just an "Go Forward" Comparison

rageeumr 12-29-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6389679)
Oh, hey. If I go to the map and ask it to show me the teams, it shows two Chiefsplaneteers teams. I'm not sure what that means. I tried twice to create a team and got errors, so it could be mine showing up, or it could be rageumr's team showing up on at least one of them.

You're both showing up as my partners, too, both with 11 miles.

Hmm.... mine shows everyone at 0 miles and no teams (I deleted the one I created).

ziggysocki 12-29-2009 04:22 PM

I just entered distances from sunday, and now it shows me at 13.3, and you both at 9.2. So I am guessing Rain Man has entered 9.2 since sunday?

AustinChief 12-29-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6389155)
And then I thought, "Hmm, this is a pretty good idea for a website. If I started a website, could I get enough people to sell some advertising and stuff and maybe make some money?"

Good idea and not hard at all to implement. If you find someone who is adept at the google API... this thing basically writes itself.

The hard part is getting traffic to the site... once you have the traffic and a good community... it could make some money.

The problem I see is that it's novelty isn't interactive enough... coem up with some further "hooks" and you have a winner. Think in terms of making it more of a community or a competition.

...but from a technical standpoint... not hard to do at all.

rageeumr 12-29-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 6389733)
I just entered distances from sunday, and now it shows me at 13.3, and you both at 9.2. So I am guessing Rain Man has entered 9.2 since sunday?

Backdating the log, huh, cheater?

You're showing 4.1 on mine now with Rain Man and I at 0.

ziggysocki 12-29-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 6389748)
Backdating the log, huh, cheater?

You're showing 4.1 on mine now with Rain Man and I at 0.

so you just entered today's run, cause that is what I did this morning... And I did not cheat! :cuss: If I wanted to cheat, I would go back and enter the 1191.9 miles that I have logged since 7/22/08... :D

Rain Man 12-29-2009 04:32 PM

Okay, I've now got you both in my own team called ChiefsPlaneteers. Do you see anything?

I'm starting to think that teams and partners are invisible to the other people. If true, I think it's a bit of a mistake on their part since it limits the community aspect that would be valuable. Another competitive advantage to my own web site.

Any web designers out there who want to partner on this?

Rain Man 12-29-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6389739)
Good idea and not hard at all to implement. If you find someone who is adept at the google API... this thing basically writes itself.

The hard part is getting traffic to the site... once you have the traffic and a good community... it could make some money.

The problem I see is that it's novelty isn't interactive enough... coem up with some further "hooks" and you have a winner. Think in terms of making it more of a community or a competition.

...but from a technical standpoint... not hard to do at all.

I can come up with hooks. And yeah, I think the key is making a community out of it. How much would it cost to build this if I hired someone? (Roughly.)

Rain Man 12-29-2009 04:37 PM

I'm showing ziggy at 15.1 and rage and myself at 11. I can see us all having 11 because that's what I've entered.

Ah, I think I see what's happening. If ziggy entered 4.1 after we became partners, that's where we start diverging. So it only puts us all at the same starting point, which is the mileage we had when we selected partners.

So this means that we can track each other, but there's no communication or anything.

Rain Man 12-29-2009 04:39 PM

The team is showing us at 4.1 collectively, so I bet it just adds our distances together. Do you guys see a team yet? It's working on mine, but I bet you each have to build the team yourself.

AustinChief 12-29-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6389769)
I can come up with hooks. And yeah, I think the key is making a community out of it. How much would it cost to build this if I hired someone? (Roughly.)

Depends on the scope of the project.

Your best bet lies in one of two routes...

#1 Set out EXACTLY what you want the site to be able to do... make mock ups and write descriptions of every detail. THEN outsource the project on one of the many programming outsourcing sites where people bid for the job. (if I had to guess... shouldn't cost more than $5000)

#2 Find a capable programmer that you trust and partner with them... keeping your cost at ZERO (minus server costs which are almost nothing for a project like this)

Extra Point 12-29-2009 04:48 PM

Your left shoe needs a new sole. Fix with Shoe Goo and rest for two days.

rageeumr 12-29-2009 04:49 PM

Yep, you're right, I had to recreate the team.

I'm planning on a sixer tonight, so we'll see how that affects everything.

Dartgod 12-29-2009 04:50 PM

Every time I click on "Choose Partner" I get a script error.

I'm 59141