ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Let's talk blood sugar (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316706)

TLO 08-09-2018 01:46 PM

Let's talk blood sugar

I'm a non diabetic, but I have noticed over the past few months or so that my blood sugar seems drop quite a bit in the afternoons. A family member suggested that I pick up one of those self testing meters and keep a track on my blood sugar when I feel like it's dropping low.

For example I was feeling a bit shaky and anxious earlier and it had dropped to 70. (That's the lowest number I've ever had it read). I drank some 100% fruit juice I keep in the fridge at work, tested it again 15 minutes later, and it was up over 100.

Is this a normal thing that I'm putting too much thought into, or should I speak to my doctor about it? I tend to be on the more anxious side, and I notice even very subtle changes in my body.

For the record I had labs done about a month ago and everything was normal.

Thanks for any and all input.

booger 08-09-2018 01:58 PM

I found out a year and a half ago I caught the beetus. For me now with it under control I will test it and be in the 80-150 range feeling great there. 65 or below feels too low for me and I’ve got the same symptoms you explained when it gets low. Good that you’re monitoring it and good you’re in tune with recognizing the symptoms and testing right away to confirm. It’s good you’re doing something on your own and don’t have to take meds I applaud you there but it’s also very serious enough that you probably shouldn’t put off talking to the dr and get some tests ran

ClevelandBronco 08-09-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13666460)
Is this a normal thing that I'm putting too much thought into, or should I speak to my doctor about it? I tend to be on the more anxious side, and I notice even very subtle changes in my body..

Those are perfectly natural. They're called breasts.

loochy 08-09-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13666460)
I'm a non diabetic, but I have noticed over the past few months or so that my blood sugar seems drop quite a bit in the afternoons. A family member suggested that I pick up one of those self testing meters and keep a track on my blood sugar when I feel like it's dropping low.

For example I was feeling a bit shaky and anxious earlier and it had dropped to 70. (That's the lowest number I've ever had it read). I drank some 100% fruit juice I keep in the fridge at work, tested it again 15 minutes later, and it was up over 100.

Is this a normal thing that I'm putting too much thought into, or should I speak to my doctor about it? I tend to be on the more anxious side, and I notice even very subtle changes in my body.

For the record I had labs done about a month ago and everything was normal.

Thanks for any and all input.

Yeah it's pretty normal. I go hypo pretty easy too...super shaky, super weak, cold sweats, extreme lethargy. When eating some sugar doesn't fix the symptoms, THEN you have issues. Just keep something to eat handy.

Here's the biggest thing that I have to get over: When you feel like that, DON'T OVEREAT. Going hypo makes me feel like I want to eat everything in the world, and if I don't watch it I'll gorge for 10 or 15 minutes until I feel better. That's totally unnecessary. It only takes a few calories to restore the blood sugar - i.e. 1 glucose tablet only has like 20 calories and that's enough to fix you. Also, remember to eat complex carbs throughout the day and after you come out of one of these hypo episodes. They'll give a kind of time release effect that will keep your sugar stable.
Posted via Mobile Device

TLO 08-09-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13666560)
Yeah it's pretty normal. I go hypo pretty easy too...super shaky, super weak, cold sweats, extreme lethargy. When eating some sugar doesn't fix the symptoms, THEN you have issues. Just keep something to eat handy.

Here's the biggest thing that I have to get over: When you feel like that, DON'T OVEREAT. Going hypo makes me feel like I want to eat everything in the world, and if I don't watch it I'll gorge for 10 or 15 minutes until I feel better. That's totally unnecessary. It only takes a few calories to restore the blood sugar - i.e. 1 glucose tablet only has like 20 calories and that's enough to fix you. Also, remember to eat complex carbs throughout the day and after you come out of one of these hypo episodes. They'll give a kind of time release effect that will keep your sugar stable.
Posted via Mobile Device

I appreciate the advice. Thanks man

Fish 08-09-2018 02:21 PM

Sounds like your antifreeze level is slightly low...

TLO 08-09-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13666571)
Sounds like your antifreeze level is slightly low...

I knew this was coming eventually. LMAO

RippedmyFlesh 08-09-2018 02:27 PM

70 isn't that low for a nondiabetic but everyone is different. If you are over weight and prediabetic 70 may feel lower than it should feel. My wife isn't diabetic but her sugar gets low at the same time your's does. Before assuming anything bad try having a little snack between lunch and dinner. Really not enough info though. If your job is physical that can make your sugar go low esp if you skip meals. Try to find a pattern. Are you skipping meals ? Stress actually raises blood sugar but low blood sugar and a little anxiety tossed in can give you that out of it feeling.

ModSocks 08-09-2018 02:28 PM

Drink more mtn dew

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-09-2018 02:33 PM

You should not be hanging out around 70. It is a little too low. The general rule to avoid hypoglycemia is the Rule of 15. If you start to notice those symptoms, take in about 15 grams of carbs (3 peppermints or a few ounces of soda will do it), then check your blood sugar in another 15 minutes.

And when you say labs, did the doctors measure your A1C? It's a far more accurate measure of glucose control over the last three months than a one-time blood glucose test.

RippedmyFlesh 08-09-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13666601)
You should not be hanging out around 70. It is a little too low. The general rule to avoid hypoglycemia is the Rule of 15. If you start to notice those symptoms, take in about 15 grams of carbs (3 peppermints or a few ounces of soda will do it), then check your blood sugar in another 15 minutes.

And when you say labs, did the doctors measure your A1C? It's a far more accurate measure of glucose control over the last three months than a one-time blood glucose test.

I was watching Dr Oz once and he tested a healthy thin young woman.She came in at 55. He said it was fine. She had no symptoms and was fine.
Some people would have severe symptoms at 55.
30 years of being a diabetic and only 1 hospital visit because of it. I had a 20.
Yep a blood sugar of 20 wife called 911 paramedics got a mariano rivera like save.

ModSocks 08-09-2018 02:39 PM

yeah but sugar makes you fat.

loochy 08-09-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13666589)
Drink more mtn dew

well that WOULD fix it temporarily
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy! 08-09-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 13666615)
I was watching Dr Oz once and he tested a healthy thin young woman.She came in at 55. He said it was fine. She had no symptoms and was fine.
Some people would have severe symptoms at 55.
30 years of being a diabetic and only 1 hospital visit because of it. I had a 20.
Yep a blood sugar of 20 wife called 911 paramedics got a mariano rivera like save.

At 55, I'm getting incoherent. I was that low once and was struggling to tell my wife what I needed. I get the shakes at 70.

RippedmyFlesh 08-09-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13666616)
yeah but sugar makes you fat.

True sugar is the devil protein keeps your blood sugar more stable.