ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers HAM Radio operators (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309243)

DenverChief 08-09-2017 05:53 PM

HAM Radio operators

Anyone here? In light of recent events I'm seriously considering getting my license and a nice home base station. Any suggestions from current radio operators?

patteeu 08-09-2017 06:30 PM

What recent events?

TLO 08-09-2017 06:32 PM

I like HAM sandwiches - that's about all I have to offer in this thread. :shrug:

Fat Elvis 08-09-2017 07:42 PM

My father was an avid ham radio operator. He was on his gear every single day/evening. I still remember his call sign/letters: w0pgk. He would talk to people all over the world.

otherstar 08-09-2017 07:46 PM

I'm licensed, but haven't done much with it in years. Now that I live in an apartment, that puts an end to anything but local stuff on 2 meters.

Buehler445 08-09-2017 07:49 PM

Grandpa was one. He had a lot of good friendships over the HAM.

I don't know what the equipment is like these days, but his had a giant apparatus on his roof. I always had to climb up there and monkey with it if there was monkeying to do.

otherstar 08-09-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13001442)
Grandpa was one. He had a lot of good friendships over the HAM.

I don't know what the equipment is like these days, but his had a giant apparatus on his roof. I always had to climb up there and monkey with it if there was monkeying to do.

The radios themselves have changed. All digital, smaller, but still expensive. Antennas are still big, unless you just use a long wire like I always did (antennas can't' help it, they are limited by the laws of physics concerning radio waves and radio wave propagation).

Baby Lee 08-09-2017 08:16 PM

Played around on it a lot when I was in Boy Scouts and knew nothing whatsoever about how they worked.
Now I know how they work and haven't seen one in person in decades.

Red Dawg 08-09-2017 08:36 PM

Ham radio? Is this a real topic?

Nerds gonna Nerd.

Deberg_1990 08-09-2017 08:39 PM

No. I live in 2017. Not 1987

Baby Lee 08-09-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 13001619)
Ham radio? Is this a real topic?

Nerds gonna Nerd.

DC can't respond right now, he's out back digging a ditch to bury the school bus full of canned goods he bought on Craigslist.

dmahurin 08-09-2017 09:04 PM

I have my license and play around a bit with it. Getting the license is really easy to do. Search a study guide online and practice a few times and you'll get the hang of it pretty quick. If I remember right it was 14 bucks to take the test. I recommend looking at a baofeng handheld unit on Amazon cor your first radio. Very cheap compared to other models and works great.

DenverChief 08-09-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13001707)
DC can't respond right now, he's out back digging a ditch to bury the school bus full of canned goods he bought on Craigslist.

Rail car but otherwise accurate.

DenverChief 08-09-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 13001744)
I have my license and play around a bit with it. Getting the license is really easy to do. Search a study guide online and practice a few times and you'll get the hang of it pretty quick. If I remember right it was 14 bucks to take the test. I recommend looking at a baofeng handheld unit on Amazon cor your first radio. Very cheap compared to other models and works great.

Yeah it is fairly inexpensive for the license. I didn't know you could use a long wire in place of an antenna tho?

srvy 08-09-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 13001888)
Yeah it is fairly inexpensive for the license. I didn't know you could use a long wire in place of an antenna tho?

You will piss off the neighbors with the long wire. My neighbor has been a ham radio enthusiast for 30 some years he has been here. When he was on it the TV would go haywire even cable. About 10 years ago he put up a 30' tower with big ass antenna on top and a natural gas generator if power goes out. When that went up the interference stopped. Hell he even has a big ass antenna on his car and he and his buds meet up on Weekends and all drive off with similar antenna for what I dont know.