ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games A $100 game console called Ouya is smashing records on Kickstarter (Video) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261371)

Sofa King 07-13-2012 08:18 AM

A $100 game console called Ouya is smashing records on Kickstarter (Video)

Ouya raised its first million in just 8 hours on Kickstarter. Now it’s over four. Is this the future of gaming?

<iframe id="viddler-8c902c1b" src="//www.viddler.com/embed/8c902c1b/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&secret=34983434&disablebranding=0" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

Swanman 07-13-2012 12:21 PM

I started a thread about this the day the kickstarter happened. It's a really cool idea, and since the console will be completely open to both software and hardware tinkering, it will be up to the users to see what it can be capable of. Some top indie developers are already on board so I can see it gathering momentum really quickly.

ReynardMuldrake 07-13-2012 12:33 PM

Here's the link since no one else feels like posting it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o-game-console

30K consoles purchased already? Yowza.

007 07-13-2012 12:36 PM

Something makes me think this will be a big dud

ReynardMuldrake 07-13-2012 12:37 PM

I like it, but 8GB storage and 1GB of RAM? That's not going to cut it for a console.

Swanman 07-13-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8737333)
I like it, but 8GB storage and 1GB of RAM? That's not going to cut it for a console.

It will have one or multiple sd card slots so you could push storage up above 100 GB potentially. As for RAM, PS3 has 256MB and 360 has 512MB, so 1 GB is plenty in comparison.

007 07-13-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8737333)

you will be able to plug extra storage in via usb and sdcard.

ReynardMuldrake 07-13-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8737338)
It will have one or multiple sd card slots so you could push storage up above 100 GB potentially. As for RAM, PS3 has 256MB and 360 has 512MB, so 1 GB is plenty in comparison.

The PS3 was released in 2006, the 360 in 2005. To say 1GB is enough in 2012/13 is silly, especially with the price of RAM today.

Sofa King 07-13-2012 12:46 PM

Anything that increases competition is good.

Swanman 07-13-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8737361)
The PS3 was released in 2006, the 360 in 2005. To say 1GB is enough in 2012/13 is silly, especially with the price of RAM today.

Consoles are not multitasking machines like laptops or desktops. They run basically one thing at a time, so extra ram would be wasted, regardless how cheap it is.

ReynardMuldrake 07-13-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8737365)
Consoles are not multitasking machines like laptops or desktops. They run basically one thing at a time, so extra ram would be wasted, regardless how cheap it is.

RAM is for more than just multitasking. Less RAM = lower res textures and more frequent load times. Also makes it less futureproof.

Mr. Laz 07-13-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8737362)
Anything that increases competition is good.

this

Swanman 07-13-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8737369)
RAM is for more than just multitasking. Less RAM = lower res textures and more frequent load times. Also makes it less futureproof.

It wouldnt surprise me if they make it so you can add your own RAM. Depends on the mobo they use.

SuperChief 07-19-2012 11:28 AM

Live Q&A with the creator at !2:30 CST here: http://bit.ly/O07LQR

jd1020 07-19-2012 11:53 AM

Make a console that can use a keyboard and mouse and I'll care.

SuperChief 07-19-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8753111)
Make a console that can use a keyboard and mouse and I'll care.

You apparently cared enough to post that drivel.

jd1020 07-19-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 8753159)
You apparently cared enough to post that drivel.

Well considering I've never heard of the console system and I was interested in learning about it, yes.

But since it's still supported by a controller I think I'll pass.

Swanman 07-19-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8753165)
Well considering I've never heard of the console system and I was interested in learning about it, yes.

But since it's still supported by a controller I think I'll pass.

It will have one or multiple USB ports so someone will figure out a way to make a keyboard and mouse work with it.

jd1020 07-19-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8753282)
It will have one or multiple USB ports so someone will figure out a way to make a keyboard and mouse work with it.

Xbox's have 2 USB ports as well, not sure about PS3 but I would imagine it does as well.

I'm talking about keyboard and mouse support for the games.

Swanman 07-19-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8753296)
Xbox's have 2 USB ports as well, not sure about PS3 but I would imagine it does as well.

I'm talking about keyboard and mouse support for the games.

Xbox and PS3 are not open-source, the Ouya will be. Screwing around with the console is encouraged so I could see all kinds of things being potentially possible.

jd1020 07-19-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8753320)
Xbox and PS3 are not open-source, the Ouya will be. Screwing around with the console is encouraged so I could see all kinds of things being potentially possible.

Maybe. I would imagine it wouldn't take long for Microsoft to buy them out if it came to that.

Fish 07-19-2012 01:17 PM

I'm predicting failure for this device. Kickstarter is a really awful company, and an awful concept in general. There's a shit ton of ideas/devices that have had a great start just like the Ouya, that never made it to production, and screwed lots of people out of money.

Check out some of the criticism that's already starting about the Ouya and Kickstarter...

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...-should-be-ske

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407046,00.asp

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...funding-crash/

Aspengc8 07-19-2012 01:49 PM

What kind of graphical power will this thing have? I'm not paying $100 to play angry birds a bigscreen.

Fish 07-19-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8753402)
What kind of graphical power will this thing have? I'm not paying $100 to play angry birds a bigscreen.

It's a secret. Because this doesn't even exist yet....

Valiant 07-19-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8753341)
I'm predicting failure for this device. Kickstarter is a really awful company, and an awful concept in general. There's a shit ton of ideas/devices that have had a great start just like the Ouya, that never made it to production, and screwed lots of people out of money.

Check out some of the criticism that's already starting about the Ouya and Kickstarter...

Odds are it will fail.

But even if they can only do a bit of what they are promising they will cripple ms and sony and bring the power back to the players.

Bewbies 07-19-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8753341)

Kickstarter is awesome, what are you talking about?

Fish 07-19-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8753439)
Odds are it will fail.

But even if they can only do a bit of what they are promising they will cripple ms and sony and bring the power back to the players.

Cripple MS and Sony? The companies that already have actual successful products in the market? LOL... how?

Do you think developers and game distributors are going to drop their successful profiting contracts they currently have to create games for an open source environment? Why on earth would they?

The only thing that Kickstarter has done with Ouya is take people's money and make promises. That's it. They have no distribution system in place, no manufacturing at all, and no existing customer base.

Quote:

In many ways both Ouya and Kickstarter face a similar problem.

On a gaming console devoted to free, open-source games, one major problem will be ensuring that the best games float to the top rather than floundering amidst the vast majority of lousy titles.

The same problem exists at Kickstarter, where it’s often impossible to say which projects deserve funding, which are great ideas with inexperienced teams that have no way of following through, and which projects deserve your hard-earned cash. Democracy is lovely, but the traditional funding model has its benefits, too, including a much harder screening and sales pitch process carried out by people with real business experience.

Kickstarter for game development may represent a break from the traditional publisher-developer relationship, but it’s also ultimately the most risky form of pre-ordering a game imaginable. You’re basically paying for a game that doesn’t exist, or in Ouya’s case a gaming console that doesn’t exist.

Penny Arcade’s Ben Kuchera points out that “not only is there no finished hardware, no service at the moment, no controller, and no games—although we’re being asked to take their word that they can create each of those things in eight months—but focusing development costs on an incredibly risky platform with a small installed base and features that make piracy all but given makes no sense for most developers who release games you’d like to play. It’s an environment that not makes little sense for commercial development, in many ways it’s actively hostile to people hoping to create games for it.”

Industry analyst, Kevin Dent, took to Twitter to list reasons the Ouya may be too ambitious for its own good, listing everything from a lack of experience and content to the very real hurdles that will need to be crossed in order to sell the console in the first place. “ They have zero distribution into retail,” Dent writes, “do you think Amazon will be promoting this?”

Fish 07-19-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8753453)
Kickstarter is awesome, what are you talking about?

Kickstarter has already been caught scamming the shit out of people. The company is on a bubble, and it's gonna burst soon.

Have you heard of the Mythic scam that Kickstarter got caught with?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25477...d_as_scam.html

Swanman 07-19-2012 02:50 PM

Eh I figure it's a cool story either way. I gave money in the initial rush, so either I will be part of the launch of a really cool new console or will be part of an infamous swindle. It's not like I emptied my 401k for it.

Demonpenz 07-19-2012 02:55 PM

I once paid for 1 day shipping and didn't go out and get the package until day 3. So I feel ya.

Valiant 07-19-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8753583)
Cripple MS and Sony? The companies that already have actual successful products in the market? LOL... how?

Do you think developers and game distributors are going to drop their successful profiting contracts they currently have to create games for an open source environment? Why on earth would they?

The only thing that Kickstarter has done with Ouya is take people's money and make promises. That's it. They have no distribution system in place, no manufacturing at all, and no existing customer base.

The fact developers will get open sourced and control of their product. Like I said before they only need to do a small part of their goal.

Many players a android based gaming system will be perfect. The finished product would be 150 to 200 bucks, games going from free to 25 bucks. Look how many people in the console threads hate muliplayer or online gaming. Then add the fact prices of games are outrageous for most, now they are adding paid updates which will be the new revenue maker.

It will probably fail, but they made enough capital to give it a chance.

They do not need to follow the status quo, rovio and zynga are perfect examples. If they pull off the hardware, upstart gaming companies will follow, especially if they get to control their future. All they have to do is become the rovio of consoles. Hell, I don't doubt google is behind this and this is a homegrown effort.

Bewbies 07-19-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8753607)
Kickstarter has already been caught scamming the shit out of people. The company is on a bubble, and it's gonna burst soon.

Have you heard of the Mythic scam that Kickstarter got caught with?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25477...d_as_scam.html

If a project doesn't reach it's goal it doesn't get funded. And when this scam was found it Kickstarter deleted it.

So how exactly does that make Kickstarter bad?

Fish 07-19-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8753709)
The fact developers will get open sourced and control of their product. Like I said before they only need to do a small part of their goal.

Many players a android based gaming system will be perfect. The finished product would be 150 to 200 bucks, games going from free to 25 bucks. Look how many people in the console threads hate muliplayer or online gaming. Then add the fact prices of games are outrageous for most, now they are adding paid updates which will be the new revenue maker.

It will probably fail, but they made enough capital to give it a chance.

They do not need to follow the status quo, rovio and zynga are perfect examples. If they pull off the hardware, upstart gaming companies will follow, especially if they get to control their future. All they have to do is become the rovio of consoles. Hell, I don't doubt google is behind this and this is a homegrown effort.

But getting opensourced is not currently an advantage to game developers. Great game developers are not actively looking for ways to make less money. Open source is currently an advantage to end users and very small time developers who make $.99 games.

Gamers hate online or multiplayer games because they hate other people. Not necessarily the game.

I think more competition is great for the game/console market. But the way Kickstart handles these things, they're not giving themselves a chance. And they're gonna have lots of pissed off people if they end up raising a record amount of money and fail to follow through.

Buck 07-19-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8737328)
Something makes me think this will be a big dud

Don't you have OnLive?

Pitt Gorilla 07-19-2012 09:23 PM

I already own the games I really want. Gran Turismo, NBA 2k12, MLB The Show, and War for Cybertron. I'm not sure how this would be an improvement.

007 07-19-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8753814)
Don't you have OnLive?

This isn't Onlive. I also spent all of about $20 for the Onlive console and a couple games.

Onlive already had a working product when they went public while this thing is still vaporware.

Not to mention, Onlive has been great for being able to test drive full games for a full 30 minutes. Not just demos but the actual game.

SuperChief 07-27-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8754406)
This isn't Onlive. I also spent all of about $20 for the Onlive console and a couple games.

Onlive already had a working product when they went public while this thing is still vaporware.

Not to mention, Onlive has been great for being able to test drive full games for a full 30 minutes. Not just demos but the actual game.

2 For Friday: OnLive comes to OUYA, Controller Makes Full Frontal Debut

http://kck.st/PQMMB2

Hey Kickstarters!

We’ve got an awesome update to kick off the weekend.

We know you’ve been dying to see more of OUYA and its controller -- and today, you just might get lucky. ;)

But first, we have some big news... we have been telling you that OUYA can deliver a great gaming experience, and some of you asked about one app in particular. Well, we are proud to reveal...

OnLive is coming to OUYA!

Through OnLive, OUYA will offer hundreds of playable titles from great publishers. Hundreds of games, streamed right to you, on demand. Pretty sweet.

But you don’t want to hear us drone on and on. Let’s hear it straight from OnLive:

-------------

When OnLive first heard about OUYA, we were excited to see console gaming becoming more available and open. Like OUYA, we came to gaming with a new vision for making top-quality gaming accessible to more people, and we continue to look for ways to expand on that vision.

OUYA is rethinking the console business, making waves by using standard technology to make gaming for your living room accessible, affordable and more innovative than ever. In OnLive's case, we pioneered a groundbreaking, cloud-based system that instantly delivers games to any device on demand.

We are pleased to announce that OnLive will be available on OUYA at launch, extending and building on our commitment to make the best games available to everyone, everywhere.

What does that mean for OUYA backers?

OnLive will deliver a full console-class experience, bringing hundreds of top-tier games from more than 80 publishers to the OUYA console for play on demand.
OUYA owners will be able to jump in and play any of these games both at home on their OUYA console, and on the go on PCs, Macs, tablets and phones, never leaving a game behind.
Instant demos will be available for nearly every game in our ever-growing library—from eagerly anticipated indie titles like Ravaged, to hot blockbusters like the upcoming Darksiders® II. Players can experience up to 30 minutes of each game for free before deciding what to buy. If they like it, they can continue playing where the demo left off.
OnLive already delivers a premium gaming experience to tablets, smartphones, PCs, Macs, connected TVs and HDTVs via the OnLive® Game System or dedicated streaming devices like the VIZIO Co-Star. We’re pleased to deliver the same OnLive experience on the OUYA console when it launches next year.

—Bruce Grove, General Manager, OnLive

-------------
We know some of you guys will like this news. People like Marios Santos Ramos, Thomas Iwancio, and Phil (That’s right, he wants to be known as Phil. Just Phil.) took to the keyboard to suggest an Onlive partnership.

“Having a dedicated and open console and being able to log into your OnLive account would make this machine a dream in the living room. ” -Marios Santos Ramos

“Any chance you could talk to OnLive about supporting their service through this box?” -Thomas Iwancio

“This is awesome. Let’s get an OnLive app here.” -Phil

Well, I guess that about wraps it up--what’s that? Oh yeah! The controller! Silly me.

Scroll down, my friends. Scroll down. Feast your eyes upon the latest images of the OUYA controller and console. Please note that the design is still in progress--but we couldn’t hold out any longer. We needed you to know that the controller has two handles. You can hold it in both hands.

P.S. We're still deciding on the buttons. For now, we've stuck with the colored circles as placeholders. But don't fret, we won't leave out colorblind gamers. :)

Imon Yourside 07-27-2012 07:48 AM

Cool concept, hate M$ and Blowme but not sure how well this will fare. I would like to thank blowme for my $400 paperweight Vita.....would have failed on kickstarter for sure.

-King- 07-27-2012 10:58 AM

Why would I pay $100 for this when the PS4 or the next Xbox will come out and blow it out of the water? I'd rather pay an extra $2-300 and the vastly superior gaming system.

BigMeatballDave 07-27-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8771502)
Why would I pay $100 for this when the PS4 or the next Xbox will come out and blow it out of the water? I'd rather pay an extra $2-300 and the vastly superior gaming system.

Because its only $100.

Its open source. It won't be locked down.

And if you can afford $300 for the new Xbox or PS4, then $100 is nothing.

I'm not a gamer, but I'd like to have it just to tinker with.

Canofbier 07-27-2012 04:03 PM

It's a neat idea, but are internet connections around the US fast or reliable enough to make gaming like this feasible (enjoyable) on a large scale? I have enough problems streaming plain old video at times. Never mind the necessity of a constant Internet connection. Time Warner is eating shit today? Too bad, no games for you. I'm still kind of skeptical for now, but I hope that I'm proven wrong.

Ted Theodore Logan 07-27-2012 04:53 PM

google fiber.

007 07-27-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 8772487)
It's a neat idea, but are internet connections around the US fast or reliable enough to make gaming like this feasible (enjoyable) on a large scale? I have enough problems streaming plain old video at times. Never mind the necessity of a constant Internet connection. Time Warner is eating shit today? Too bad, no games for you. I'm still kind of skeptical for now, but I hope that I'm proven wrong.

ONe thing is for certain. Onlive is a bandwidth hog to the nth degree.

-King- 07-27-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8772473)
Because its only $100.

Its open source. It won't be locked down.

And if you can afford $300 for the new Xbox or PS4, then $100 is nothing.

I'm not a gamer, but I'd like to have it just to tinker with.

Like KCFish said, open source might mean a lot when it comes to 99 cent games phone games, but when it comes to console games, it doesn't really mean much.

Kidd Lex 07-27-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8771005)
Cool concept, hate M$ and Blowme but not sure how well this will fare. I would like to thank blowme for my $400 paperweight Vita.....would have failed on kickstarter for sure.

I too bought the $400 Vita and it just sits there but....when I travel it is amazing for passing time on the flight. The show is incredible, and im sure some future tiger woods, maddens, will be great time passers as well.

Im not sure about the Ouya, but it looks like a long shot at best due to the success of steam and how easy it is to plug in a wired xbox controller and have the exact same set up but with more power. (in most cases) Hell, im typing this while using a 50" plasma flat screen as a monitor. What am I missing that Ouya could offer?

007 07-27-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 8772820)
I too bought the $400 Vita and it just sits there but....when I travel it is amazing for passing time on the flight. The show is incredible, and im sure some future tiger woods, maddens, will be great time passers as well.

Im not sure about the Ouya, but it looks like a long shot at best due to the success of steam and how easy it is to plug in a wired xbox controller and have the exact same set up but with more power. (in most cases) Hell, im typing this while using a 50" plasma flat screen as a monitor. What am I missing that Ouya could offer?

yeah, I am really starting to regret that Vita purchase. Gravity Rush sucked. the only new game coming out is Little Big Planet and I don't even like that on the PS3.

Deberg_1990 07-27-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8772869)
yeah, I am really starting to regret that Vita purchase. Gravity Rush sucked. the only new game coming out is Little Big Planet and I don't even like that on the PS3.

So the Vita is flopping?

I havent heard much buzz about it for awhile now....

Kidd Lex 07-27-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8773128)
So the Vita is flopping?

It's the lack of games. Just very disappointing!! Great system without alot of 3rd party AAA games.

007 07-27-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8773128)
So the Vita is flopping?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 8773135)
It's the lack of games. Just very disappointing!! Great system without alot of 3rd party AAA games.

Exactly. It is a outstanding piece of hardware capable of high end console graphics. Problem is that nobody is developing for it, which is making it become a damn paperweight.

Imon Yourside 07-28-2012 12:05 AM

I only see 3 or 4 games coming out total the rest of the year, but if Sly cooper makes it out i will be ecstatic. Allegedly next year is a gigantic year for vita games, trouble is that was supposed to be this year.

Imon Yourside 07-28-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8772869)

Ironically i keep hearing how incredible gravity rush is.....probably does suck tho lolz.

Fish 07-28-2012 12:26 AM

The Android open system environment is notoriously easy to pirate as well. The best awesome developers like the ones making current games on PC, Xbox, and PS3 aren't going to have much motivation to port their games to a less profitable platform that's easy to pirate.

007 07-28-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8773677)
Ironically i keep hearing how incredible gravity rush is.....probably does suck tho lolz.

I know the majority of players really like it. I haven't enjoyed it at all. Aiming is a real pain in the butt because I just can't get used to the navigation system. I find myself constantly frustrated with the game because of it. Got to level 13 and just lost interest in it.

SuperChief 07-31-2012 07:40 AM

Final Fantasy comes to OUYA
Update #7 · Jul. 31, 2012 · 92 comments

http://kck.st/MZ1Mdw

We’ve been saying that OUYA will offer all kinds of games.

This morning, we are honored to announce that OUYA is partnering with Square Enix to bring you one of the most beloved franchises in gaming -- Final Fantasy. We will kick this off with Final Fantasy III, which will be a launch title on OUYA. This will be the first time gamers outside of Japan can play FFIII on their televisions through a console.

But that’s not the end of it: We’re promising to deliver Final Fantasy III like you’ve never seen it before – Hironobu Sakaguchi’s third installment in the role playing game franchise will be updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution in glorious graphic detail. For those of you who are new to Final Fantasy, we’ll offer a free demo so you can give it a go!

Previously unreleased in the U.S. until it appeared as a 3D remake for the Nintendo DS in 2006, Final Fantasy III was widely referred to as one of the “missing pieces” in the FF series. OUYA players can now proudly claim this piece of the puzzle.

We’re thrilled to bring this storied franchise to OUYA.

Valiant 08-08-2012 07:18 PM

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...roller-support

007 08-08-2012 08:58 PM

I thought this was supposed to be a $100 console. That article states a two controller bundle will be $225. One controller is an extra $125 now?

What am I missing here?

Swanman 08-09-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8801857)
I thought this was supposed to be a $100 console. That article states a two controller bundle will be $225. One controller is an extra $125 now?

What am I missing here?

The $225 bundle contains an extra controller and both are specially engraved, so that bundle is like a collectors edition.

Rausch 08-09-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8802381)
The $225 bundle contains an extra controller and both are specially engraved, so that bundle is like a collectors edition.

So it's like the APPLE of consoles?

They better find a way to acquire a devoted and fanatic following.

Quick...

Fish 08-09-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 8802390)
So it's like the APPLE of consoles?

They better find a way to acquire a devoted and fanatic following.

Quick...

But.... they have Final Fantasy 3! That 22 year old game is tits! Also, Pac-Man!!! Galaga!

Valiant 08-09-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8801857)

What am I missing here?

Lol,I said a finished product would be 150 to 200 guessing. They keep adding games, keep game costs low to where the deveopers keep most of their money and it will sell a tons.

Look how well the marketplace does for older games in hd version, they could retool 1000s ofgames for cheap, and below initial cost of ps4, neXtBox. The only thing the system will not be ableto do, mmo and halo5 type graphics.

Basically trying to steal customers from casual users(wii), tablet crowd,facebook/zynga gamers, and the arcade buyers on ps3/360 all for cheaper.

I think people giving money will get locked in depending on what they spent for the base model and one controllerc, then it will go up from there on cost and options.

Well imo.

Imon Yourside 08-09-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8802431)
But.... they have Final Fantasy 3! That 22 year old game is tits! Also, Pac-Man!!! Galaga!

But do they have a commitment from Taito to make blockbuster titles forever man?

Fish 08-09-2012 10:09 AM

Nobody wants to play rehashed old games. Not enough to build a business model around it anyway.....

Pitt Gorilla 08-09-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8802617)
Lol,I said a finished product would be 150 to 200 guessing. They keep adding games, keep game costs low to where the deveopers keep most of their money and it will sell a tons.

Look how well the marketplace does for older games in hd version, they could retool 1000s ofgames for cheap, and below initial cost of ps4, neXtBox. The only thing the system will not be ableto do, mmo and halo5 type graphics.

Basically trying to steal customers from casual users(wii), tablet crowd,facebook/zynga gamers, and the arcade buyers on ps3/360 all for cheaper.

I think people giving money will get locked in depending on what they spent for the base model and one controllerc, then it will go up from there on cost and options.

Well imo.

Those sound like tablet apps. Why would I want to play something on my tv that I can play on my iPad?

WoodDraw 08-09-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8773696)
The Android open system environment is notoriously easy to pirate as well. The best awesome developers like the ones making current games on PC, Xbox, and PS3 aren't going to have much motivation to port their games to a less profitable platform that's easy to pirate.

This. No serious game developer will touch this. They won't be able to get join the Google Play ecosystem either, so you don't even have a freemium model. This is destined to fail.

Swanman 08-09-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8802866)
Those sound like tablet apps. Why would I want to play something on my tv that I can play on my iPad?

Some games on the tablet are cool in theory but suck ass when forced to use the on-screen touch controls. Developers can beef those games up and with the controller, you could have some decent titles. If nothing else, I will use it as a mame console.

007 02-06-2013 07:16 AM

So is this dead yet. I heard the launch lineup sucks.

Swanman 02-06-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9381801)
So is this dead yet. I heard the launch lineup sucks.

It's not out yet. They shipped their dev consoles on time. I believe the March timeframe is when the first shipments to end users are supposed to happen. The lineup of games may suck early, but what console doesn't have a shitty launch lineup? Wii U still doesn't have a decent game that isn't already on Wii or other consoles.

Skyy God 02-06-2013 10:57 AM

I have some interest in this as a gaming console.... the graphics are anticipated to be slightly better than the PS2/Xbox, and it should be good for playing ports of old games.

However, it's going to be a powerhouse for playing torrents/video.

SLAG 02-06-2013 11:18 AM

Also recently confirmed that it will be sold at retail stores like Target for $99