ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

patteeu 04-14-2008 09:41 PM

I just watched "Across the Universe" and I thought it was pretty good. I wouldn't go so far as "perfect" though.

I thought the story was good and it was written in a way that the music really fit the storyline. The two things I didn't like so much were:
(a) It was a very long movie. I found myself looking at my watch, and

(b) Almost all of the songs seemed a little slower or more mellow than the originals. I would have liked some of the music to be a little more upbeat.
All in all, I recommend it to anyone who is a Beatles music fan. It's like a grown up version of High School Musical with better, but unfortunately slower/more mellow, music.

KCChiefsMan 04-22-2008 08:08 PM

I just saw Rendition the other day. Not bad, they could have went deeper into some things. But worth a watch I'd say.

Frazod 04-26-2008 12:45 PM

In the past week, I have watched There Will Be Blood, Charlie Wilson's War and Cloverfield. All were very good, IMO. I was particularly impressed with Cloverfield, mainly because I wasn't expecting much from it. Very well done, and while I thought the pre-attack part dragged a bit, it did establish the main characters enough that I cared what happened to them.

Deberg_1990 04-26-2008 12:50 PM

Anyone seen Juno yet??

I thought it was pretty decent. At first i thought the chick was a little too hip and smart ass, but she did kind of grow on me by the end.

I wouldnt agree it was "oscar worthy" but it was still a very solid, well made flick.

Baby Lee 04-26-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4711427)
Anyone seen Juno yet??

I thought it was pretty decent. At first i thought the chick was a little too hip and smart ass, but she did kind of grow on me by the end.

I wouldnt agree it was "oscar worthy" but it was still a very solid, well made flick.

It's not an epic, but a film you can really connect with. It's amazing that such mannered dialog meshes with such believable and relatable characters.

"Paulie Bleaker? Didn't think he had it in him." - coolest parental reaction to bad news ever.

Miles 04-27-2008 03:01 AM

Just finished Charlie Wilson's War and really enjoyed it. Pretty nice balance of humor and serious.

Emily Blunt was smokin hot as well.

irishjayhawk 04-27-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 4716854)
Just finished Charlie Wilson's War and really enjoyed it. Pretty nice balance of humor and serious.

Emily Blunt was smokin hot as well.

Yes. So hot. :drool:

Megbert 04-27-2008 06:12 PM

I saw "Son of Rambow" earlier this week. Really a fun movie. It's about 2 grade school boys becoming friends and out of that friendship they make their own "Rambo" movie with them and their classmates as stars. Opens May 2nd.

Think back to when you were a kid and seeing a movie that made you wanna recreate the scenes or be the character. For me there was Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark (don't know how many bull-whips I went through).This movie captures that sense of wonder.

Buck 04-27-2008 08:19 PM

Wow,

Just picked up No Country For Old Men on Blu-Ray.

I had wondered why 3:10 to Yuma wasn't even considered for Best Picture at the Oscars, now I know why. What a great movie!

Deberg_1990 04-27-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZChiefFan (Post 4721380)
IThink back to when you were a kid and seeing a movie that made you wanna recreate the scenes or be the character. For me there was Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark (don't know how many bull-whips I went through).This movie captures that sense of wonder.

For me it was "Empire Strike Back" and "Goonies" hahahah

KevB 04-29-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 4684722)
The Mist was all about how people would react in a situation like that. I think they nailed it spot on. I couldnt beleive the ending. I was in awe .

Just finished watching this. I had heard that the movie was ok, but the ending made it all worthwhile. "They" were right. I guessed it about 2 seconds before the finale, but that didn't change the awe factor. Surprisingly, I'd say this was a pretty damn good movie.

KcMizzou 04-30-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 4727200)
Just finished watching this. I had heard that the movie was ok, but the ending made it all worthwhile. "They" were right. I guessed it about 2 seconds before the finale, but that didn't change the awe factor. Surprisingly, I'd say this was a pretty damn good movie.

I loved it.

It's one of those few movies I downloaded... and then went and bought the DVD too.

irishjayhawk 05-03-2008 12:01 AM

Today was a double feature:

Iron Man - 3.5/4
August Rush - 3.5/4

Iron Man was simply badass. August Rush was superb. It took me by surprise. I had mentioned when it came out that it was going to be very good and some people took me up on it and reported it back as "Brilliant" but I never got around to seeing it. Damn did I miss out.

Baby Lee 05-03-2008 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4732178)
Today was a double feature:

Iron Man - 3.5/4
August Rush - 3.5/4

Iron Man was simply badass. August Rush was superb. It took me by surprise. I had mentioned when it came out that it was going to be very good and some people took me up on it and reported it back as "Brilliant" but I never got around to seeing it. Damn did I miss out.

I call BS, there's no way a movie with Patch Adams the soul-patch cowboy can be any good. ;)

Frazod 05-03-2008 11:57 PM

Question regarding Golden Compass - is it worth picking up on blu ray? I haven't seen it yet, but keep hearing that it's great. I loved LOTR, and though Narnia was OK. Is this somewhere in between, or something different?