ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto AAA: The average cost of your car per year: $9100 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272240)

notorious 04-18-2013 12:34 PM

Bull Shit

jiveturkey 04-18-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9599629)
Just curious - what goes down every year? The tax? Fuel and insurance aren't likely to change (hard to tell with fuel prices) and the chances of repair go up with age.

My taxes and insurance creep down every year since the car decreases in value.

Fuel is the long term unknown.

Prison Bitch 04-18-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9599594)
Let's see here, 4 years ago we bought that Camry for $10,200.

In that time we've paid $2880 for insurance, roughly $3500 for fuel, $600 in repairs, and around $1200 in licensing/taxes for a total of $18,380, which averages out to $4595/yr so far. .

Bull. You aren't spending only $150/year for all your repairs & maintenance. That's impossibly low. You spend that alone going to Jiffy Lube 4-6x per year, unless you don't change your oil. Tires cannot go more than 50K miles and be all that effective, so that's $600 right there every 3-4 years. You never repair a headlight, change air filters, get a new timing belt, or any other work on the car?

I've had Hondas and Acuras so I know foreign rice burners are good cars, but they aren't maintenance free. Not by a mile.

Frosty 04-18-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 9599652)
My taxes and insurance creep down every year since the car decreases in value.

Fuel is the long term unknown.

I've never had my insurance change due to the age of the car (which I think is bullshit). We don't have the property tax on cars here (yet) so I was wondering if that was what he meant.

Chazno 04-18-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Just curious - what goes down every year? The tax? Fuel and insurance aren't likely to change (hard to tell with fuel prices) and the chances of repair go up with age.

The inital cost of the car(10.2k) is included in that total. The longer he drives it, that cost is divided by more years , making it smaller.

Frosty 04-18-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 9599666)
The inital cost of the car(10.2k) is included in that total. The longer he drives it, that cost is divided by more years , making it smaller.

I missed that he added that in.

Bugeater 04-18-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

We'd be spreading the cost of the car over more years. Taxes go down a bit every year as well.

007 04-18-2013 04:19 PM

Drives me nuts that whenever we are in the market all the 2 year old cars have friggin 50k miles on them. always makes me consider just buyinng brand new so I can put my own miles on it and not be in a massive hole with somebody elses mileage. n We always drive our cars until they drop anyway.

alnorth 04-18-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9599665)
I've never had my insurance change due to the age of the car (which I think is bullshit). We don't have the property tax on cars here (yet) so I was wondering if that was what he meant.

If you have full coverage, your comprehensive and collision should be impacted by the increasing age of the car, unless its really old in which case you shouldn't have those coverages anyway.

Its possible that other things are happening in your particular situation which counters the impact of your car's age.

Bugeater 04-18-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9599661)
Bull. You aren't spending only $150/year for all your repairs & maintenance. That's impossibly low. You spend that alone going to Jiffy Lube 4-6x per year, unless you don't change your oil. Tires cannot go more than 50K miles and be all that effective, so that's $600 right there every 3-4 years. You never repair a headlight, change air filters, get a new timing belt, or any other work on the car?

I've had Hondas and Acuras so I know foreign rice burners are good cars, but they aren't maintenance free. Not by a mile.

Ok, I forgot oil changes twice a year and air filter once a year. That's another $60/year on both vehicles. And yes, a light bulb here or there, but those are negligible in cost.

So far on the Camry we had the timing belt replaced ($300) and tires replaced (another $300), and that's it. She only puts 6-7,000 miles on it a year.

As far as the Caravan, I replaced the fuel pump ($200), water pump ($50?), and put in a used starter that was $30. There's been spark plugs and some other little bullshit here and there along the way as well, and I drove the shit out of the thing.

I also have a 99 Dakota that I've had for 4 years, so far on it it's been battery ($60), 2 tires ($300), fan clutch (???), water pump ($60?) a couple sensors that were maybe $30 each. I'm not remembering the exact prices but it's still in that same $150/yr range. I've averaged about 5,000/yr on that one so it should be low.

So no bullshit.

mlyonsd 04-18-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9600371)
Drives me nuts that whenever we are in the market all the 2 year old cars have friggin 50k miles on them. always makes me consider just buyinng brand new so I can put my own miles on it and not be in a massive hole with somebody elses mileage. n We always drive our cars until they drop anyway.

That's the way I go. Buy a new car about every 10-12 years.

Bugeater 04-18-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9600378)
If you have full coverage, your comprehensive and collision should be impacted by the increasing age of the car, unless its really old in which case you shouldn't have those coverages anyway.

Its possible that other things are happening in your particular situation which counters the impact of your car's age.

Just curious, at what point would you drop those coverages? Would you carry them on a car worth $5000? $3000?

Bugeater 04-18-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9600371)

Yeah I don't think those cars are worth it either. All the new is used up, and they still command a high price. 5-10 years old is where the most value is IMO.

Frosty 04-18-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9600417)
That's the way I go. Buy a new car about every 10-12 years.

There are some advantages to buying new. You can get the exact car you want with the options you want instead of just settling for what you can find, you get a full warranty, you can drive it a long time before needing repairs or risking breakdowns, and you get the piece of mind that your car hasn't been thoroughly abused or neglected before you got it. If you keep it for a long time, the extra cost isn't prohibitive.

I really lucked out with my current car, though. It was two years old with only 14,500 miles. The main thing I was looking for was that it had a manual and this one did (very rare). It was $16K (down from the new price of $23K). If I had picked up a new one, I would have chosen a different color and probably the next trim level up but I am pretty happy with what I got.

Frosty 04-18-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9600378)

I think the incremental yearly rate increases negated any drop in rates from age.