ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What If A QB Like Alex Smith Fell To #15? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114307)

NaptownChief 04-16-2005 04:58 PM

What If A QB Like Alex Smith Fell To #15?

Knowing our defensive needs to win now would you be pissed? or would you be fine with it knowing we have nothing behind Green and he isn't a spring chicken anymore?

I would prefer defense to help our chances to win now but knowing how DV struggles to put vets on the bench in favor of rookies tells me the odd of a rookie making a huge contribution is much lower with DV than other teams...That being the cause I wouldn't defecate myself if they went in this direction.

shaneo69 04-16-2005 04:59 PM

I'd take him. But then again, I liked the LJ pick too. And I wanted Harrington in '02 when our defense sucked.

tk13 04-16-2005 05:00 PM

I'd trade down and try to pillage somebody who wants a stud QB...

eazyb81 04-16-2005 05:03 PM

Either trade down or go with a defensive player. If he fell that far, something would have to be up with him. We are in a win now mode, so taking a QB, even a potential franchise QB, would be stupid at this point. However, I would like to see us draft a QB in the 4th-6th round (Andrew Walter would be great) to learn behind Trent a couple years.

keg in kc 04-16-2005 05:05 PM

Any other year I'd be fine with it. But this time around our first two picks have to be players who'll see the field this year. 2005 is it for this team the way it's been built. We're playing for now and a QB would be a luxury pick for the future that we just can't afford.

TRR 04-16-2005 05:07 PM

I would take him, and try to swing a trade, or move down. For the next two to three seasons, Alex Smith would probably be our third string QB behind Green and Collins.

I never liked drafting and developing a QB. I always liked the idea of getting one out of FA or via trade. There are too many QB busts, and their contracts are too large.

NaptownChief 04-16-2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
But this time around our first two picks have to be players who'll see the field this year.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but you mean like Ryan Sims and Siavii?

beer bacon 04-16-2005 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
I'd trade down and try to pillage somebody who wants a stud QB...

I agree with this proposition.

SCTrojan 04-16-2005 05:12 PM

Agree with tk and eazy, trade down if he's available. If they drafted him, I'd probably throw something through my TV. Good thing I plan on watching the draft at a sports bar.

dilligaf 04-16-2005 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaptownChief

That was just plain mean. :banghead:

alanm 04-16-2005 06:12 PM

Can he cover Wide receivers?

NJ Chief Fan 04-16-2005 06:56 PM

alex smith is a joke he will be a big time no body if we drafted him it would piss me off more then the sly mo pick

keg in kc 04-16-2005 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaptownChief

I'm not sure what your point is.

Chiefnj 04-16-2005 07:25 PM

If the Chiefs haven't made a move for Surtain at that point and Smith was still available you might as well build for the future and grab the QB. If Surtain is on board I think I'd try to trade back.

alanm 04-16-2005 07:30 PM

This is a very thin year for QB's. I'm not exactly impressed with either Smith or the guy from USC.