ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Let's talk salary cap. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285650)

Direckshun 08-12-2014 09:28 PM

Let's talk salary cap.

In particular, 2015's salary cap.

According to Overthecap.com, we are currently slated at $123m, when the projected cap is going to be $140m.

We're almost certainly going to cut Hali, which will net us 9m. We're probably going to cut Sean Smith, which will net us 5.5m. We'll probably cut Chase Daniel (who is projected to be the 9th highest contract on our team in 2015, which is ****ing nuts), which will save us 3.5. It's possible the team cuts Fasano as he's costing us about $4m/year, however he wouldn't even save us $2m if we did, so I'm not going to include him in my calculations. Cutting Donnie Avery would net us $3.5m, but it's not remotely clear if we're in a position to do that, seeing how we have no WRs on this team.

We'll almost certainly extend Eric Berry, but seeing how the going rate for an elite safety is about what he's making now, I'm projecting zero cap change on him.

So that leaves us, assuming there's no change on the Alex Smith/Justin Houston front, with $35m in cap space.

That should be enough to sign Alex Smith long term, get Houston inked or franchised, and sign our draft picks, and little else.

Everything frees up in 2016, but in 2015, we're looking at another year of a tight cap due to our signings in 2013.

Mr_Tomahawk 08-12-2014 09:29 PM

Butt

Chin

TLO 08-12-2014 09:42 PM

How is Jack Shit's contract situation looking? He may be looking for a new contract considering he's now a 2 sport superstar. We need to pony up and pay the man!

chiefzilla1501 08-12-2014 09:49 PM

The Chiefs can do any of those things and save a buttload of cap space. Because a lot of bad contracts start going off the books the next 2 years, the best way to dodge the cap is to sign players to a decent sized signing bonus then load in a big roster bonus the 2nd or 3rd year of the contract. Basically a basic way of deferring a bonus and doing it in a way where that deferred bonus is practically guaranteed.

Ming the Merciless 08-12-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10814569)
That should be enough to sign Alex Smith long term, get Houston inked or franchised, and sign our draft picks, and little else.

So we should expect similar performance in 2015 as 2014 unless say we hit big on one of our picks?

This is shaping up to be a pivotal year.....

I have a bad feeling...don't want to jinx anything but just a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach

Why Not? 08-12-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10814595)
How is Jack Shit's contract situation looking? He may be looking for a new contract considering he's now a 2 sport superstar. We need to pony up and pay the man!

But since the Royals traded Jack Shit for Josh Willingham, he may not want to play football in KC

Prison Bitch 08-12-2014 11:18 PM

Why sign Alex to a long term deal if Fat Andy is such a QB guru? Is he afraid to find or develop another one?

saphojunkie 08-12-2014 11:29 PM

They'll extend Hali, not cut him.

Hammock Parties 08-12-2014 11:37 PM

**** Alex Smith.

CoMoChief 08-12-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10814693)

They didn't draft Dee Ford in the first rd so he can sit on the bench and be a backup. Are you implying that we won't re-sign Houston? Because I really doubt the Chiefs keep all 3.

Chiefs really need to beef up the WR position. Though I'm thinking they should address CB in the first rd, as well as FA. Dorial Green-Beckham would most certainly would be agreat value pick in the 2nd rd and has #1WR potential. He would excel w/ Bowe on the other side for a couple/few season til it's time to part ways w/ Bowe and replace DGB at the #1.

Dante84 08-13-2014 12:06 AM

Or, DGB could be the next Ray Rice. Or Justin Blackmon. Or both, combined!

Dante84 08-13-2014 12:07 AM

But seriously, he would be sweet if he can keep his nose clean.

BossChief 08-13-2014 08:17 AM

You forgot to add Joe Mays to the list of guys that will be probable cuts.

No way we pay that guy over 4 million next year.

Sandy Vagina 08-13-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10814569)
In particular, 2015's salary cap.

According to Overthecap.com, we are currently slated at $123m, when the projected cap is going to be $140m.

Everything frees up in 2016, but in 2015, we're looking at another year of a tight cap due to our signings in 2013.

Glad you took the time to do this. Your expectations seem legit. As for the last sentence.. I think locking up the QB, OLB, and draft pick additions will be enough.

If the coaching is what everyone believes and hopes.. the development of current personnel will step into any shoes that have departed.

Shouldn't be any major concerns.. certainly not at this point.

Mays (as stated) and Devito could be cap saving cuts. I'm leaning towards Avery being gone after this season. Think they will trust in a youngster with his similar skills (Albert!).

Rodney Hudson will need a new contract.

Bowe's contract is just disgusting! lol

Mr. Laz 08-13-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10814693)

I don't know.

Doesn't seem like something Dorsey would do. He seems to prefer to draft to replace and he already had replaced Hali by drafting Ford. Potentially.