ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   DeShaun Watson: The Time Is Now (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305091)

Direckshun 01-10-2017 01:18 PM

DeShaun Watson: The Time Is Now

Yeah. This is happening.

Watson will almost certainly be on the board for our first rounder. He will possibly be on the board for our second pick.

I understand 100% of the critiques here. He's from a spread offense. He hasn't run a huddle. He hasn't worked under center. He has off games. He's undersized...

I get it. I get it all.

This guy plays like a goddamn champion. Put aside the fact that he actually is one -- he is a locker room leader with toughness beyond his years.

We need to take him. He needs to be the QB of the future in Kansas City.

LoneWolf 01-10-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 12673341)
This guy plays like a goddamn champion. Put aside the fact that he actually is one -- he is a locker room leader with toughness beyond his years.

Congratulations! You just described Tim Tebow!

The Franchise 01-10-2017 01:34 PM

I think the Browns take him with the their second 1st round pick.

Direckshun 01-10-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 12673359)
Congratulations! You just described Tim Tebow!

Some Hall of Famers, too.

keg in kc 01-10-2017 01:42 PM

The Chiefs would be more likely to pick Santa Claus than any qb in the first. Or second.

Bowser 01-10-2017 01:44 PM

Wherever he goes in the NFL, they would be well advised to let him sit a year and learn how to be an NFL QB, no matter how bad the team is or how bad the QB situation he's a part of is.

DaneMcCloud 01-10-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Yeah. This is happening.

Watson will almost certainly be on the board for our first rounder. He will possibly be on the board for our second pick.

I understand 100% of the critiques here. He's from a spread offense. He hasn't run a huddle. He hasn't worked under center. He has off games. He's undersized...

I get it. I get it all.

:facepalm:

O.city 01-10-2017 01:50 PM

I was really impressed with his composure last night. Dude took a beating and stared slowly but just kept it moving forward.

Thag was the most impressive thing IMO

RunKC 01-10-2017 01:56 PM

He will be a top 10 pick, maybe top 5.

No shot

O.city 01-10-2017 01:59 PM

I dunno, dudes gonna have alot to clean up in the pocket.

I'd guess he'll still go early though

DaneMcCloud 01-10-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12673426)
I dunno, dudes gonna have alot to clean up in the pocket.

I'd guess he'll still go early though

He'll go early but he needs at least a year on the bench and needs to bulk up.

Otherwise, he'll be RGIII part deux.

BlackHelicopters 01-10-2017 02:17 PM

No way he falls to us. No way.

RealSNR 01-10-2017 02:38 PM

Sure, I'll throw a 3rd rounder at him.

Can't be any worse than burning one on Keivarae Russell

DJ's left nut 01-10-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12673438)

That's not entirely fair.

His build isn't really that slight. He's built more like Mariota than RGIII. Really, he's probably built at least as thickly as Smith.

He could maybe get a little thicker in his lower half but that's true of anyone in their early 20s. He's plenty sturdy enough for this level, IMO.

He'd be an exciting pick and a fun guy to root for and watch develop. I'm still not convinced he'd be the right pick but I'd absolutely defer here.

The Franchise 01-10-2017 04:10 PM

Watson - 6'3" 215 lbs - according to ESPN
Mariota - 6'4" 222 lbs - combine
RGIII - 6'2" 223 lbs - combine

DJ's left nut 01-10-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12673715)
Watson - 6'3" 215 lbs - according to ESPN
Mariota - 6'4" 222 lbs - combine
RGIII - 6'2" 223 lbs - combine

Did RGIII ever look anywhere near that stout to you, though?

Everything about him was just lean and angular. He looked like you could break him, regardless of the weight.

I'm surprised to see he came in that heavy but I still think Watson has a more NFL ready build.

The Franchise 01-10-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12673717)
Did RGIII ever look anywhere near that stout to you, though?

Everything about him was just lean and angular. He looked like you could break him, regardless of the weight.

I'm surprised to see he came in that heavy but I still think Watson has a more NFL ready build.

If anyone looks like RG3.....it's Lamar Jackson.

DaneMcCloud 01-10-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12673707)
That's not entirely fair.

His build isn't really that slight. He's built more like Mariota than RGIII. Really, he's probably built at least as thickly as Smith.

He could maybe get a little thicker in his lower half but that's true of anyone in their early 20s. He's plenty sturdy enough for this level, IMO.

He'd be an exciting pick and a fun guy to root for and watch develop. I'm still not convinced he'd be the right pick but I'd absolutely defer here.

I'm not a fan of him, at all.

I've been watching quite a bit of his play via Josh Norris and he just makes really bad decisions and struggles with accuracy. He appears to have a very slight build and his propensity to take off and run reminds me of RGIII.

I've said this in a few other threads but I think it'll take several years (if ever) for him to become a good pocket passer, especially since he'll need to fight the urge to run when he can't find a receiver.

BWillie 01-10-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Yeah. This is happening.

I get it. I get it all.

Yeah, so they said that about Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel. The list goes on. BUT, I think he's more of a Cam Newton, than those guys.

Bewbies 01-10-2017 05:15 PM

If we didn't have Andy Reid I'd have 0 interest in the guy. If Reid thinks he can fix him I'd be game with giving him the Aaron Rodgers treatment.

Black Bob 01-10-2017 05:44 PM

I am all for drafting him but people need to understand it will be 2-3 years before he's ready. His foot work on short passes is especially bad. He relies too much on arm strength. However, his leadership makes him worth it. I'd take him in the first round if Reid likes him...

jjchieffan 01-10-2017 06:25 PM

Interesting tidbit. I was perusing several mock drafts today and every one of them had Kansas City drafting at 30. So I guess they are all expecting us to beat Pittsburgh this weekend, but losing to NE in the AFCCG.

OldSchool 01-10-2017 09:28 PM

Watson is similar to Mariota but not as consistent.

threebag 01-10-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12673525)
Sure, I'll throw a 3rd rounder at him.

This is enough for me to say no ****ing thank you...

St. Patty's Fire 01-11-2017 03:42 AM

Does anyone actually think this guy will be available when we pick? QBs always get overvalued. Unless you expect us to move up (and moving up for a project QB probably isn't a good idea for a team that consistently gets value wherever they pick), then I don't see how he's a realistic target for us.

I mean, if he's there after the first round, sure, go for it. But I'd be shocked if he's even there by the late 20s.

RealSNR 01-11-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 12674375)
This is enough for me to say no ****ing thank you...

Give me one ****ing opinion on any QB in this class, and you can make this joke.

Until you do, you're just a flaming dumb****.

I didn't even issue a real opinion on Watson. But if you wanted to argue that I did, my opinion of him would be a negative one, because I compare using a 3rd round pick on him to drafting a player and then cutting him before Week 1.

You're the dumbest piece of shit on this entire board.

kcchiefsus 01-11-2017 08:38 AM

The time is just about now to finally invest some capital in a QB. Whether that is Watson or not I don't know, but it's time to shit or get off the pot. These yearly 4th and 5th round picks at QB aren't cutting it.

Hammock Parties 01-11-2017 08:45 AM

The combine is going to determine where this kid goes. If he's >210 lbs and <4.6 he's going in the top 10. There's no way he's lasting past the 20th pick.

The Chiefs would have to sacrifice a LOT to move up and get him, and there are more talented, more NFL-ready QBs coming out in 2018.

I'm still on the Sam Darnold bandwagon. Better to wait a year, trade some picks now for 2018 picks, and get a better QB than sacrifice a lot more for a lesser QB.

kcchiefsus 01-11-2017 08:55 AM

The problem with waiting until 2018 is we're waiting until 2019 or 2020 until the guy is a legitimate player ready to take the reigns. Our roster is going to be getting pretty long in the tooth by then. We of course wouldn't have had this problem if we had jumped at the chance to take someone like Carr or Bridgewater in previous drafts. I'm not going to be surprised if we're left with our dicks in our hands like we were when Trent Green retired with nobody at all to take the reigns.

Hammock Parties 01-11-2017 09:01 AM

It's only one more year. It's absolutely worth it to get a better player, especially when this team is probably taking a G or ILB anyway in April.

And I would argue the QB they draft in 2018 will be ready to start right away, especially since they won't pay 34-year old Alex Smith $20 million.

threebag 01-11-2017 11:22 AM

I assure you Alex Smith will retire a CHIEF

DaneMcCloud 01-11-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 12673966)
Interesting tidbit. I was perusing several mock drafts today and every one of them had Kansas City drafting at 30. So I guess they are all expecting us to beat Pittsburgh this weekend, but losing to NE in the AFCCG.

That's based on current seeding and record, nothing else.

32: 14-2 #1 seed
31: 13-3 #1 seed
30: 12-4 #2 seed
29: 11-5 #2 seed

DaneMcCloud 01-11-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider2YBanana (Post 12674803)
It's only one more year. It's absolutely worth it to get a better player, especially when this team is probably taking a G or ILB anyway in April.

And I would argue the QB they draft in 2018 will be ready to start right away, especially since they won't pay 34-year old Alex Smith $20 million.

You're smoking crack.

First, there is no way that Chiefs take a Guard in the first round when there will be far better athletes and players available, whether it's Cornerback, OLB, Safety, RB and quite possibly, a QB (Pat Mahomes).

Secondly, the Salary Cap will be in excess of $185 million in 2018, so paying a QB $20 million is peanuts.

threebag 01-11-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12674668)
Give me one ****ing opinion on any QB in this class, and you can make this joke.

Until you do, you're just a flaming dumb****.

I didn't even issue a real opinion on Watson. But if you wanted to argue that I did, my opinion of him would be a negative one, because I compare using a 3rd round pick on him to drafting a player and then cutting him before Week 1.

You're the dumbest piece of shit on this entire board.

Shemp, Geno Smith is all you need for the joke.

You always have your cock sucker on blast, maybe you should muffle it with a bag of dicks.

DJ's left nut 01-11-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 12674792)
The problem with waiting until 2018 is we're waiting until 2019 or 2020 until the guy is a legitimate player ready to take the reigns. Our roster is going to be getting pretty long in the tooth by then. We of course wouldn't have had this problem if we had jumped at the chance to take someone like Carr or Bridgewater in previous drafts. I'm not going to be surprised if we're left with our dicks in our hands like we were when Trent Green retired with nobody at all to take the reigns.

Watson won't be ready in 2018 anyway.

If you draft him this year, he's still a 2 year project. There will be guys drafted next season who are about even with him in the development curve. He'll have a better handle on an NFL offense but he still won't have re-built his technique to the point he'll need to in order to be a consistent NFL passer.

Direckshun 01-11-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 12675609)
You always have your cock sucker on blast, maybe you should muffle it with a bag of dicks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aZHvd0ks7Es" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mother****erJones 01-11-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12673438)

Can't lump him in with RG3 like that.

I personally, want KC to take him. I think he'll slip more than people realize.

DaneMcCloud 01-11-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 12675828)
Can't lump him in with RG3 like that.

I personally, want KC to take him. I think he'll slip more than people realize.

If he slips, it's because he's even a worse prospect than he appears at this point.

There is a great article on si.com about him in which Shanahan rightly points out that he'll get killed in the NFL if he takes off and runs.

I think he'll go early but he's going to be a yuge project for whichever team selects him and if it's a team like the Jets, he's hosed.

The Franchise 01-11-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12675901)
If he slips, it's because he's even a worse prospect than he appears at this point.

There is a great article on si.com about him in which Shanahan rightly points out that he'll get killed in the NFL if he takes off and runs.

I think he'll go early but he's going to be a yuge project for whichever team selects him and if it's a team like the Jets, he's hosed.

https://media.giphy.com/media/fvJZajpAbKrS/giphy.gif

kcchiefsus 01-11-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 12675161)
I assure you Alex Smith will retire a CHIEF

Hopefully sooner than later.

RealSNR 01-11-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 12675609)
Shemp, Geno Smith is all you need for the joke.

I'm right far more often than I'm wrong.

I would ask if you could say the same, but you don't have any opinions other than "Clay sucks" and "My boyfriend Tiger Uppercut's dick has wonderful mouthfeel."

Give me one 2017 draft opinion, dude. Just one. I'll bet you can't do it off the top of your head.

kccrow 01-11-2017 09:43 PM

Would only approve flier if taken in round 2.

Black Bob 01-18-2017 06:33 PM

I really think we can get him at #27. He is gonna have to sit for a couple of years. His footwork on short passes is horrid. Never seen anything like it. That said, I really like him and think he can correct it. He's "clutch" and that's half the battle when it comes to NFL QBs. I bet 30-40% of the games come down to the last drive.

Superbowltrashcan 01-18-2017 07:45 PM

I apologize for my ignorance on this but I don't fully understand the heightened concern about footwork as it relates to a quarterback that throws an accurate ball with adequate velocity. Is it because poor footwork leads to greater replication of a bad effort? Does it mean a greater chance of injury is in player's future? I mean if it gets to the target quickly and accurately why does it matter if his footwork sucks? When I watch Rodgers he seems to have a number of times when he doesn't "look the part" from the classical 5 step drop back standpoint. Educate me and don't be an arse... Thank you!

Chief Northman 01-18-2017 07:49 PM

I want to like Watson but all I see is an overhyped player with favourable intangibles but pedestrian ability who benefitted by playing for a strong program.

Not accurate. Not big. Decent, but not a great arm. Simplified scheme. Poor footwork.

= project

ILChief 01-18-2017 08:29 PM

Watson is going way before we pick

Black Bob 01-18-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbowltrashcan (Post 12695729)
I apologize for my ignorance on this but I don't fully understand the heightened concern about footwork as it relates to a quarterback that throws an accurate ball with adequate velocity. Is it because poor footwork leads to greater replication of a bad effort? Does it mean a greater chance of injury is in player's future? I mean if it gets to the target quickly and accurately why does it matter if his footwork sucks? When I watch Rodgers he seems to have a number of times when he doesn't "look the part" from the classical 5 step drop back standpoint. Educate me and don't be an arse... Thank you!

No problem. It is important for four reasons:

1. Accuracy- You gotta get your body balanced to throw an accurate pass. Throwing mechanics are built around the core of the body. It's the same in baseball and it all starts with the feet. If you don't have balance in your legs, you won't have balance in your core and you won't be at peak accuracy. The biggest difference between college and pro football is the speed and coverage of corner backs. If you aren't accurate, you can't play in the NFL. Check out Tom Brady. He has the greatest footwork of all time.

2. Throwing Power - If you are throwing off your back foot you are losing power and accuracy. Watson tends to do this on a lot of short routes. He basically takes one step back and throws as hard as he can off his back foot when he does this. His fundamentals are really raw in this area. When he does it, it reminds me of a shortstop back handing a hard grounder in the hole and desperately trying to get the runner at first. The difference is that Desean doesn't need to rush it and shouldn't be desperate. He's not even making a read when he does this and he has more time than he thinks. In the NFL he will get burned for relying on arm strength on short passes like that.

3. Pocket Awareness - This is another big difference between college and the pros. Footwork in the pocket is imparitive to protecting the ball. It is the first fundamental in this area. If you have poor footwork, you are more likely to fumble. In the NFL, the pass rush is coming much faster than in college. Again, good footwork and a good core are everything. If you have balance when you are creamed on your blindside, you are far more likely to hold onto the ball. See Blake Bortles if you want to see a QB with bad footwork.

4. Timing - Again, the cornerbacks are the biggest difference between college and the pros. Three, four, and five step drops help the QB time the routes and allow the play to set up. They also slow the pass rush and create more time in the pocket. Watson hasn't done much of this as he plays in a spread / read option type offense. You can't make it in the pros without being able to take snaps from under center and understand the footwork fundamentals.

This is a pretty basic summary and I hope this helps.

Mecca 01-19-2017 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 12695733)
I want to like Watson but all I see is an overhyped player with favourable intangibles but pedestrian ability who benefitted by playing for a strong program.

Not accurate. Not big. Decent, but not a great arm. Simplified scheme. Poor footwork.

= project

Clemson wasn't what I would call a strong program before him. They hadn't won shit in years, even their conference and were a consistent 15-25 team, not a top 10 every year.

beach tribe 01-19-2017 11:59 PM

Bust. I am almost certain of it.

beach tribe 01-20-2017 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 12696107)
Clemson wasn't what I would call a strong program before him. They hadn't won shit in years, even their conference and were a consistent 15-25 team, not a top 10 every year.

No, but they were loaded with talent during his run. He feels like the poster boy for college star that does jack and shit in the NFL.

MahiMike 01-28-2017 08:30 PM

Kid's a winner. That's all that counts. Bucky Brooks has him going to us in 1st round.

BryanBusby 01-28-2017 09:02 PM

I've got a feeling that the Bills end up dealing Tyrod Taylor off to Cleveland and draft Watson.

Is he going to win in Buffalo? idk

ct 01-31-2017 03:10 PM

I'd give it a shot, but honestly i prefer to take a swing at mahomes in the 2nd

Hammock Parties 01-31-2017 03:36 PM

We are just going to feel like Browns fans if we reach for a QB in this draft.

Just wait it out one year.

DaneMcCloud 01-31-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider2YBanana (Post 12719743)

Yet Daniel Jeremiah thinks there's a good possibility that Webb and Peterman sneak into the second round.

If the Chiefs like Webb, Peterman or Mahomes and they're available to them when they pick, it would be foolish to pass on one of them.

DaneMcCloud 01-31-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider2YBanana (Post 12719743)

And FWIW, you're an even bigger butt****ing moron that I could have ever imagined if you believe the Chiefs have a chance in hell of drafting Rosen or Darnold.

BlackHelicopters 01-31-2017 04:46 PM

Do not wait til next year

DJ's left nut 01-31-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12719754)

Yet Daniel Jeremiah thinks there's a good possibility that Webb and Peterman sneak into the second round.

If the Chiefs like Webb, Peterman or Mahomes and they're available to them when they pick, it would be foolish to pass on one of them.

Webb and Peterman as second rounders feeds into Clay's point, IMO.

It's an indictment on the quality of the QB class more than it is a statement as to the strength's of the respective prospects.

Those guys are not second round caliber talents, IMO.

DaneMcCloud 01-31-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12719880)
Those guys are not second round caliber talents, IMO.

I can't make that determination, as I haven't seen enough game footage, nor do we have any results from The Combine or Pro Days. I have the Senior Bowl on the DVR but haven't watched it yet.

But here's the deal: QB's always go higher than expected because there is a massive need for them. So beyond a few guys next year that will not fall to the Chiefs, they'll be looking to overdraft a guy in 2018 instead of 2017.

And to further that point, there's always guys that fall who end up being pretty good players. Just off the top of my head, Brees and Dalton were a 2nd, Cousins and Prescott were 4th's, Siemien a 7th and so on.

Does anyone believe that Paxton Lynch was truly a first rounder? I didn't then and don't now, but he went in the late first. He was overdrafted because the Broncos thought they had a gaping hole. As it turned out, Siemien was pretty good with a high upside. He'd be awesome in Reid's WCO, IMO.

It's time to get a guy.

DJ's left nut 01-31-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12719905)
I can't make that determination, as I haven't seen enough game footage, nor do we have any results from The Combine or Pro Days. I have the Senior Bowl on the DVR but haven't watched it yet.

But here's the deal: QB's always go higher than expected because there is a massive need for them. So beyond a few guys next year that will not fall to the Chiefs, they'll be looking to overdraft a guy in 2018 instead of 2017.

And to further that point, there's always guys that fall who end up being pretty good players. Just off the top of my head, Brees and Dalton were a 2nd, Cousins and Prescott were 4th's, Siemien a 7th and so on.

Does anyone believe that Paxton Lynch was truly a first rounder? I didn't then and don't now, but he went in the late first. He was overdrafted because the Broncos thought they had a gaping hole. As it turned out, Siemien was pretty good with a high upside. He'd be awesome in Reid's WCO, IMO.

It's time to get a guy.

Right, overdrafts will always happen at QB.

But that's when you start to talk about depth of classes to determine just how egregious that overdraft will be.

I'm not of the mind that Watson is a first round talent and frankly Mahomes has enough flaws that in many years (if not most) he's not a first rounder either. How is Trubisky's resume appreciably better than Lynch's and Trubisky's considered a surefire top 10 and potential #1 overall.

This is an objectively bad quarterback class and as such, the degree of the overdraft is going to be worse this year than many other years.

Next year's top QBs are going to be a couple of legit top-end QBs, IMO, with Rosen and Darnold. Now that doesn't mean that we'll get them, but it means the quality of guy you're looking at in the teens/20s is going to be more like, I dunno, Baker Mayfield or Mason Rudolph (and I'm still beyond pissed that Rudolph returned). And your wild card isn't a potential game manager like Peterman but rather a guy like Josh Allen.

It's a rising tide thing; when there are legit franchise alterers at the top of the QB class, that trickles down to the wild-cards and their availability at the back of the first or early 2nd.

There are valid reasons to wait until next year for the QB, especially if you can engineer a winning trade-down that nets us as much as a 2nd or 3rd in the '18 draft that can be used to move up a bit if needed. I'm not convinced I'd do it, but if my options are Peterman or Webb in the 2nd this year or wait until 2018, I'd go with the 2018 option in a heartbeat.

DaneMcCloud 01-31-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12719919)
There are valid reasons to wait until next year for the QB, especially if you can engineer a winning trade-down that nets us as much as a 2nd or 3rd in the '18 draft that can be used to move up a bit if needed. I'm not convinced I'd do it, but if my options are Peterman or Webb in the 2nd this year or wait until 2018, I'd go with the 2018 option in a heartbeat.

I think that if Peterman and Webb can be had in the 3rd round or the bottom of the second, I'm good with the Chiefs taking either and sitting them for a year (or two). If Mahomes checks out, I have no problem with them taking him in the first.

Josh Allen is a 56% passer, which won't cut it in the WCO. Any coach, offensive or defensive, will tell you that accuracy isn't something that can be taught, so he scares me. As for the other two guys you mentioned, there's always the possibility of injury or just falling apart at the seams.

I'd just rather get a head start on a guy, if Reid believes there's a guy he can groom. Of course, it's all moot if these guys flame out at The Combine or Pro Days but as of today, I truly hope they get a guy on Day 1 and if not, on Day 2.

DaneMcCloud 01-31-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

I'm not of the mind that Watson is a first round talent and frankly Mahomes has enough flaws that in many years (if not most) he's not a first rounder either. How is Trubisky's resume appreciably better than Lynch's and Trubisky's considered a surefire top 10 and potential #1 overall.

Trubisky played well in the very tough ACC, whereas Lynch played in the American Athletic conference.

I've seen nothing from Lynch that makes me believe he'll ever be a quality NFL starter, let alone, a Franchise QB.

philfree 01-31-2017 05:53 PM

I was intrigued by Peterman but he is essentially Alex Smith with a weaker arm according to the evaluations I've read. So people want to move on from Alex Smith to Alex Smith 2.0. Great!

RunKC 01-31-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Right, overdrafts will always happen at QB.

But that's when you start to talk about depth of classes to determine just how egregious that overdraft will be.

This is an objectively bad quarterback class and as such, the degree of the overdraft is going to be worse this year than many other years.

Next year's top QBs are going to be a couple of legit top-end QBs, IMO, with Rosen and Darnold. Now that doesn't mean that we'll get them, but it means the quality of guy you're looking at in the teens/20s is going to be more like, I dunno, Baker Mayfield or Mason Rudolph (and I'm still beyond pissed that Rudolph returned). And your wild card isn't a potential game manager like Peterman but rather a guy like Josh Allen.

It's a rising tide thing; when there are legit franchise alterers at the top of the QB class, that trickles down to the wild-cards and their availability at the back of the first or early 2nd.

I think it really depends on what the interviews yield, but I think either way if you aren't picking in the top 15 then you're getting a project.

But obviously there's an exception to the rule. Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, Andy Dalton, Dak Prescott. Is there one of those guys?

Don't sleep on Nate Peterman. It's early but I really like his game

staylor26 01-31-2017 06:53 PM

If they decide they don't like any of the QB's that have already been mentioned, I would like them to take a shot at Dobbs on day 3. His athleticism, intelligence, and arm strength make him an intriguing project to match up with Reid.

kccrow 01-31-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12720036)
I think it really depends on what the interviews yield, but I think either way if you aren't picking in the top 15 then you're getting a project.

But obviously there's an exception to the rule. Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, Andy Dalton, Dak Prescott. Is there one of those guys?

Don't sleep on Nate Peterman. It's early but I really like his game

Peterman is the most realistic possibility for the Chiefs under the current regime. He's the closest QB to Alex Smith you're going to get. That isn't a stab at Alex this time, he just is. He's smart. He's pro ready. He's going to play within the offense. He doesn't have a big-tiem arm, but he can make the throws. I think with Peterman, you'd have a guy that at least will take a shot more often.

DaneMcCloud 01-31-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 12720310)
Peterman is the most realistic possibility for the Chiefs under the current regime. He's the closest QB to Alex Smith you're going to get. That isn't a stab at Alex this time, he just is. He's smart. He's pro ready. He's going to play within the offense. He doesn't have a big-tiem arm, but he can make the throws. I think with Peterman, you'd have a guy that at least will take a shot more often.

Not that I disagree but since they have a year, I'd rather see Mahomes as the pick.

I like the Peterman comparisons to Cousins, because I think Cousins would have won the Super Bowl if he was a Chief this year.

But regardless, get one high and get him going.

kcchiefsus 02-01-2017 01:49 AM

I'd personally take one high in this year's draft and would still draft one high in the draft next year if the opportunity presented itself.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-01-2017 07:40 AM

This thread makes me hate Peterman.

Thanks.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 12714721)
Kid's a winner. That's all that counts. Bucky Brooks has him going to us in 1st round.

So was Tebow, Johnny football, and a good number of goobers

kcchiefsus 02-01-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12720642)
So was Tebow, Johnny football, and a good number of goobers

Johnny football could have been good if it wasn't for him being a dipshit.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 12720695)
Johnny football could have been good if it wasn't for him being a dipshit.

Point still stands as he sucked monkey nuts in his limited play

DaneMcCloud 02-01-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 12714721)

Winning in college means nothing if the QB wasn't playing under center, didn't read defenses, isn't tall enough, doesn't have an NFL frame and isn't smart enough to handle complicated offenses.

Very few "winners" from the college game have success in the NFL, which is why so many teams have a need at QB each and every year.

RunKC 02-01-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12720738)
Winning in college means nothing if the QB wasn't playing under center, didn't read defenses, isn't tall enough, doesn't have an NFL frame and isn't smart enough to handle complicated offenses.

Very few "winners" from the college game have success in the NFL, which is why so many teams have a need at QB each and every year.

Nate Peterman went into DeShaun Watson's house and beat him.
Also beat Penn State, Virginia Teach on the road, Georgia Tech on the road, Louisville, etc.

He can read defenses, he's mobile, he's confident. Goddamn does he remind me of Kirk Cousins but he seems more confident.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 12719954)
I was intrigued by Peterman but he is essentially Alex Smith with a weaker arm according to the evaluations I've read. So people want to move on from Alex Smith to Alex Smith 2.0. Great!

The upshot to Peterman is the cost control.

IF he's Alex Smith, at least he's Alex Smith on the cheap. The problem is that he's only cheap for 4 years, one of which will be on the bench, the next will probably be a year of growing pains. So you get 2 years of cheap production before you find yourself right back in this hellish QB purgetory of paying the price of a #1 WR and a starting defensive back for a mediocre QB.

And then a whole lot of first round playoff flameouts.

The Franchise 02-01-2017 10:35 AM

Trade the **** up for Kizer, damnt.

O.city 02-01-2017 10:37 AM

Watson has the profile of playing well in big games. It sounds tebowish, but you've got the eye test there and for me, he's not in the Tebow category throwing the football. He needs cleaned up a little, but I don't really know that it would be that difficult.

O.city 02-01-2017 10:41 AM

I really like Kizer. If he got I to the late teens, I'd be very interested. I don't think he gets by Arizona though.

It sucks in that, I'm not sure many cases where trading up for a qb has worked. It's so much about being lucky.

The Franchise 02-01-2017 10:45 AM

Say the Browns trade for a QB (or sign one) and take Garrett at #1. I would offer up a package to move to #12 and take Kizer (if he fell that far).

O.city 02-01-2017 10:48 AM

That's a long way to go to get a guy that's not sure fire. 27 to 12, would cost quite a bit.

2 1st, a 2nd and 2 3rds?