ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Pacific Rim (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267168)

jiveturkey 07-09-2013 09:39 AM

According to my Flixster app it's sitting at 82% with the critics and 98% with audiences (40k ratings).

JD10367 07-09-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9797249)
It's a marketing approach. They're backloading everything. It looks like they believe that the kind of people who are going to see a movie like this have already decided that they will, so they don't have anything to gain with that core group. And the wider moviegoing audience tends to be the kind of people that won't decide what they're seeing next week until the time comes. So they try to get them excited next week. It seems to have worked with MoS (went over 280 million domestic this weekend despite the love/hate reception from critics). We'll see if it works for Pacific Rim.

I hope it does, because I'd like to see more original concepts...

I think this film will do surprisingly well, at least this weekend. And I think "Grown Ups 2" is going to go directly into the shitter.

"Pacific Rim" has no sci-fi OR action/adventure competition at the moment, since "Lone Ranger" tanked. With kids' films currently ruling the B.O. ("Monsters U.", "Despicable Me 2"), the adults who haven't seen anything since "Man Of Steel" and "Iron Man 3" will come out for this film.

"Grown Ups 2", on the other hand, will suffer from following other comedies these past weeks which have done well ("The Heat", "Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain", "This Is The End").

Next week is a different story, though. "Pacific Rim", in its second week out, will face stiff competition across the board: an action-adventure ("Red 2"), a sci-fi film ("R.I.P.D."), a horror film ("The Conjuring"), and another kids' film ("Turbo"). That will suck a lot of audience away, especially "R.I.P.D.", so how far "Pacific Rim" drops will be a true indicator of how well it's going to do overall.

I have no idea what the production budget was, though. They seem to be keeping that hush-hush for the moment. If the thing had a bloated production budget it might have a problem recouping. I think a disappointing take would be $100M, a realistic take would be $200M, and a good take would be $250M. Again, though, like "Man Of Steel" and "STID", the overseas haul will make quite a difference and this film has great overseas potential.

keg in kc 07-09-2013 11:28 AM

What would be nice one of these days would be to see a non-kid non-sequel original IP movie with a domestic opening like Despicable Me 2 had. It isn't going to happen with Pacific Rim though, I don't imagine.

People complain about studios all the time, but I think the problem is actually the moviegoing audience. If more people went to smarter movies, we'd see more smarter movies. Instead we get what we get.

Deberg_1990 07-09-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9800775)
I think this film will do surprisingly well, at least this weekend. And I think "Grown Ups 2" is going to go directly into the shitter.

Grown Ups 1 was a pretty big hit. I suspect it will open well. Although, the last few Sandler films have not done well.
Posted via Mobile Device

KC_Lee 07-09-2013 01:02 PM

First review I have seen. It's fairly long and I am still reading the whole review. Might be a spoiler or two, nothing too bad though.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/07/08/p...ng-the-summer/

Final quote from the review;
Quote:

Pacific Rim is a movie about that is, thrillingly, upliftingly about that. And it also has giant mechs punching the s**t out of giant monsters. This is what blockbuster movies should be.

keg in kc 07-09-2013 01:44 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X6BU_ElYSkQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure-Oz 07-09-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9801014)
Grown Ups 1 was a pretty big hit. I suspect it will open well. Although, the last few Sandler films have not done well.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's been a long time since an Adam Sandler movie was any good. I think the last flick of his i somewhat liked was Click.

Deberg_1990 07-09-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9801545)
It's been a long time since an Adam Sandler movie was any good. I think the last flick of his i somewhat liked was Click.

Depends on what you mean by good? Most of his movies are pretty shoddily made as movies. But they are funny, most of them. But comedy is highly subjective
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants 07-09-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9801642)
Depends on what you mean by good? Most of his movies are pretty shoddily made as movies. But they are funny, most of them. But comedy is highly subjective
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny People was pretty good, I thought.

Hammock Parties 07-09-2013 06:54 PM

33 fresh, 7 rotten so far

It's a hit.

KcMizzou 07-09-2013 07:11 PM

I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I love Del Torro, and I was a huge Godzilla fan as a little kid. Always loved the giant monster movies. Hell, as an adult I even dug Cloverfield.

KC_Lee 07-09-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9801955)
I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I love Del Torro, and I was a huge Godzilla fan as a little kid. Always loved the giant monster movies. Hell, as an adult I even dug Cloverfield.

Same here, huge Godzilla & Gamera fan as a kid. I remember watching Sci Fi theater on channel 5 on Saturdays hoping it was going to be Godzilla, Rodan or Gamera movie.

Prior to my house getting flooded in 2010 I owned almost every Godzilla movie (even the ones Toho made in the 90's and early 2000's) and most of the Gamera movies too. Even had a couple of lesser / knockoff giant monster movies like Gorgo (an under rated classic) and Gappa: The Triphibian Monster.

I really wanted to like Cloverfield, but it was so deriviative of so many prior movies I really could not get past it.

Fish 07-09-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9801545)

Does Hotel Transylvania count? Sandler voiced the lead and was also an exec producer. And I thought that movie was very good.

Deberg_1990 07-09-2013 09:25 PM

Heh, used to love watching the old Godzilla movies on KCTV5 back in the day. They used to have special weeks in the afternoons. I remember rushing home from school to watch those.

TNT channel used to show them alot in the 90s on Joe Bob Briggs show.
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc 07-09-2013 09:27 PM

I remember watching them on TBS I think.