ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc What is your stance on aliens? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292762)

LiveSteam 05-30-2015 09:53 PM

Take me to your leader.

TLO 05-30-2015 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 11526426)
Wish the search function worked as I have a story told. They are here !

Bumped that thread for ya bud.

Why Not? 05-31-2015 12:18 AM

They destroyed Bishop. **** 'em

RINGLEADER 05-31-2015 01:51 AM

I remember seeing a documentary once that hypothesized that Earth is a real anomaly due to a number of necessary things ranging from the time of the planets formation to the fact that you need a large moon to keep the planet from becoming inhospitable every few years (and thus giving life the time it needs to form).

But the biggest issue with contacting of life forms had more to do with the fact that, according to these scientists, the evolution required to form the intelligence needed to do the things required to contact others also would invariably lead to the extinction of said intelligence. So in addition to needing a very specific environment you also need to time everything just right so that split-second life capable of communicating out into the stars exists it has someone else out there on the receiving end at that same split-second.

The example they gave was Earth itself: if aliens contacted Earth every day for the 60 million years dinos were around they'd get nothing but static in return. We're faced with the same challenge. And chances are the civilizations capable of doing this will only have thousands (not millions) of years to try once they're evolved enough to have the technology and cultural interest to attempt such an effort.

For someone like me who would love us to find an alien signal in space it was all rather depressing...

splatbass 05-31-2015 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 11526427)
I feel their practice of butthole probing needs to cease immediately.

Maybe if they bought you dinner first?

GoShox 05-31-2015 02:17 AM

If they exist, our franchise-saving QB is probably with them.

ThaVirus 05-31-2015 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 11526752)
I remember seeing a documentary once that hypothesized that Earth is a real anomaly due to a number of necessary things ranging from the time of the planets formation to the fact that you need a large moon to keep the planet from becoming inhospitable every few years (and thus giving life the time it needs to form).

But the biggest issue with contacting of life forms had more to do with the fact that, according to these scientists, the evolution required to form the intelligence needed to do the things required to contact others also would invariably lead to the extinction of said intelligence. So in addition to needing a very specific environment you also need to time everything just right so that split-second life capable of communicating out into the stars exists it has someone else out there on the receiving end at that same split-second.

The example they gave was Earth itself: if aliens contacted Earth every day for the 60 million years dinos were around they'd get nothing but static in return. We're faced with the same challenge. And chances are the civilizations capable of doing this will only have thousands (not millions) of years to try once they're evolved enough to have the technology and cultural interest to attempt such an effort.

For someone like me who would love us to find an alien signal in space it was all rather depressing...

You should check out the Fermi Paradox if you aren't already familiar.

Rausch 05-31-2015 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11526389)
They do not exist. If you think they do then you need medication or stop binge drinking with Inmem.

When you consider the vastness of space, and have to admit that life did happen once, it has to have happened more than once.

So in the history of the universe there's an event that happened only once? We know that life is possible because we are alive. It's beyond stupidity to say that it's not possible to happen again. Life was already created once.

Either by a God or by the random mixing of elements. It doesn't matter either way - both options suggest it happened more than once.

Now, there's a huge difference between saying life is all over in space and saying that it's here on earth counting the corn in Clay's colon...

Dave Lane 05-31-2015 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 11526434)
Mathematically it is almost certain there is life out there. There are billions of planets. Extremely unlikely they could make it here though.

You are off by a factor of a trillion times more.

Bufkin 05-31-2015 07:39 AM

God created man and woman within the first week about 6,000 years ago. Nowhere in Heavenly Father's 6th day of creation (creatures of the land to rule over the fish of the sea) does he mention making some ET looking mother ****er on Mars.

Dave Lane 05-31-2015 07:39 AM

There are approximately

stars, most with multiple planets around them. One would have to guess like earth there are probably 10 or so planets each. Thats a really really big number

Rausch 05-31-2015 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufkin (Post 11526808)
God created man and woman within the first week about 6,000 years ago. Nowhere in Heavenly Father's 6th day of creation (creatures of the land to rule over the fish of the sea) does he mention making some ET looking mother ****er on Mars.

Nowhere does he mention Mars...

Dave Lane 05-31-2015 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufkin (Post 11526808)

Hey he's that white dude with the big flowing beard and robe isn't he? Yeah I met that dude. I think he was panhandling down by the Plaza. Ungodly with a harmonica.

Bufkin 05-31-2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 11526812)
Hey he's that white dude with the big flowing beard and robe isn't he? Yeah I met that dude. I think he was panhandling down by the Plaza. Ungodly with a harmonica.

Dave, if God doesn't exist, how do you explain the tides? You can't explain that.

Sorry sorry, I'm not meaning for my sarcasm to take over a fun discussion on extraterrestrial life. I know Dave understands. Well, I think he understands my humor.

In all reality, I'm agnostic on it. Do they exist? Maybe. Do I want them to exist? Absolutely. I think that gives a much more rational explanation to how the universe works. It also adds a bit of meaning.

BigRedChief 05-31-2015 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 11526809)
There are approximately

stars, most with multiple planets around them. One would have to guess like earth there are probably 10 or so planets each. Thats a really really big number

It would be incredibly arrogant of us to think of all those planets that their is no intelligent life on any of those planets.

Have some visited? The odds also say yes.