ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs 2009 = 2013 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270384)

Direckshun 02-25-2013 12:47 PM

2009 = 2013

The 2008 season = 2-14, ushered in the ***** regime.

The 2012 season = 2-14, ushered in the Reid regime.

3rd overall pick in 2009, with a great QB prospect on board (Sanchez), no QB on the roster.

1st overall pick in 2013, with a great QB prospect on board (Smith), no QB on the roster.

Chiefs trade a high 2nd in 2009 for somebody else's backup (Matt Cassel).

Chiefs trade a high 2nd in 2013 for somebody else's backup (Alex Smith).

Matt Cassel's career stats as of today: 58% completion, 6.6 yards/pass, 173 yards/game, 82 TD to 57 INT, 160 sacks, and 24 40+ yard plays.

Alex Smith's career stats as of today: 59% completion, 6.6 yards/pass, 178 yards/game, 81 TD to 63 INT, 196 sacks, and 33 40+ yard plays.

Chiefs use the 3rd overall in 2009 on a non-impact trench player (Tyson Jackson).

Chiefs use the 1st overall in 2013 on a non-impact trench player (Eric Fisher).

In 2009, the QB all us Chiefs fans wanted (Mark Sanchez) was taken by the Jets instead. (He ended up sucking.)

In 2013, the QB all us Chiefs fans wanted (Geno Smith) was taken by the Jets instead. (Time will tell.)

I HATE THIS GODDAMN TEAM.

SERIOUSLY.

**** THIS GODDAMN TEAM.

The Franchise 02-25-2013 12:48 PM

LMAO

Are you still drunk?

Direckshun 02-25-2013 12:48 PM

Same skill position players, too.

Bowe, Albert, Charles, Flowers, DJ, Hali.

The Pioli regime cost us Carr. The Reid regime will surely cost us Albert.

Everything is being slowly undone by A TEAM THAT WON'T LEARN FROM ITS ****ING MISTAKES.

PaulAllen 02-25-2013 12:48 PM

Smith is a much better prospect than Sanchez was.

Direckshun 02-25-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9436584)
LMAO

Are you still drunk?

ROFL

I'm really pissed off. Seriously.

There's no twilight to look forward to. Just darkness for the next four years.

We are officially on Reid/Dorsey Get Fired Countdown the second Alex Smith is traded here, and we draft a ****ing offensive tackle 1st overall.

RealSNR 02-25-2013 12:50 PM

Is there a way to show Reid and Dorsey this information? I have a feeling they don't give a shit about this team's history, but they should. Like, really should.

Given the model you just showed, I don't really see how what we're doing by trading for Alex Smith and bringing in some slapdicky 3rd/4th round QB prospect is going to lead to a great team.

Direckshun 02-25-2013 12:55 PM

There is absolutely no positive spin on this.

This will kill fan enthusiasm. This will increase fan hostility. This will mire this team even further into merchandising obscurity.

But even aside from all that, this is a shit football decision.

WE HAVE A DIRECT PRECEDENT THAT THIS FORMULA DOES NOT WORK.

Deberg_1990 02-25-2013 12:58 PM

Sanchez was a great QB prospect? In retrospect, Pioli was right to pass on him.

BigRock 02-25-2013 12:58 PM

If we'd drafted Sanchez, someone would be making this exact same post to show why we shouldn't draft Geno.

CAN'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN
JOECKEL 2013

Ceej 02-25-2013 12:59 PM

Q.

BigMeatballDave 02-25-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9436638)
Sanchez was a great QB prospect? In retrospect, ***** was right to pass on him.

Hindsight is 50/50

Messier 02-25-2013 12:59 PM

What have you heard? You seem to know who we're drafting, who we're trading for, and what round we're giving up as compensation. How'd you get all this info?

Hammock Parties 02-25-2013 12:59 PM

ban

WildTurkey 02-25-2013 12:59 PM

We're not trading for Alex Smith

teedubya 02-25-2013 12:59 PM

You're a bit of an insufferable prick, these days, Direckshun.

Too bad you were looked over as GM again. Maybe in 4 years, you can be the GM?

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildTurkey (Post 9436648)
We're not trading for Alex Smith

Yeah?

You want to put a bet on that?

How about a total self-imposed CP ban from now until the draft concludes.

If we land Alex Smith by the first week of free agency, you take the ban.

If we don't, I will.

BigMeatballDave 02-25-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9436625)
There is absolutely no positive spin on this.

This will kill fan enthusiasm. This will increase fan hostility. This will mire this team even further into merchandising obscurity.

Here, it will.

Overall, the fanbase will LOVE Alex Smith.

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9436649)
You're a bit of an insufferable prick, these days, Direckshun.

Right.

A new regime comes in under the exact same circumstances as the last regime, and makes the same ****ing mistake that tanked the franchise the last time around.

And I'm insufferable for hating it.

Right.

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9436653)
Here, it will.

Overall, the fanbase will LOVE Alex Smith.

You're wrong.

The True Fans are the Chiefs' "base." They're the people who will love you no matter what.

Everybody else is either somebody like us or a casual fan. And we'll be tuning out in droves during the Alex Smith Era.

philfree 02-25-2013 01:04 PM

Alex Smith isn't going to be a Chiefs. Why would he want to be? If we're his only option then yeah but he'll end up with other suitors. If no team pulls the trigger on a trade he'll sign with AZ when he's released. My money is on Reid drafting Geno Smith.

RealSNR 02-25-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9436656)
Right.

A new regime comes in under the exact same circumstances as the last regime, and makes the same ****ing mistake.

Right.

Yo GM dawg weres ur franchis!!!

Messier 02-25-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9436656)
Right.

A new regime comes in under the exact same circumstances as the last regime, and makes the same ****ing mistake.

Right.

When did the Chiefs release their pick at one? And they traded for Smith, and gave up a third?

Rasputin 02-25-2013 01:06 PM

**** Alex Smith Hulk Smash Alex Smith

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1de9e651.gif

Mr. Flopnuts 02-25-2013 01:07 PM

IF we somehow trot Alex Smith out there and have not drafted a QB 1st overall in the draft this year, they better hope they get off to a fast start. I don't see even a 1 year grace period working for this team under those conditions.

You simply cannot go out and put a team together based on the wishes of the fanbase. But there is an exception to every rule, and this is that exception. You cannot simply rinse and repeat what just happened over 4 years. You simply CANNOT ignore that this franchise hasn't drafted a QB in the first round in 30 years. Your diehard fans know, and they're waiting for you to right the ship.

Turning harder in the direction you've been going is suicide. Therefore I simply can't believe it will happen. We will have our Chocolate Dingdong.

htismaqe 02-25-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9436663)
Alex Smith isn't going to be a Chiefs. Why would he want to be? If we're his only option then yeah but he'll end up with other suitors. If no team pulls the trigger on a trade he'll sign with AZ when he's released. My money is on Reid drafting Geno Smith.

Hope you are right.

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9436666)
When did the Chiefs release their pick at one? And they traded for Smith, and gave up a third?

Smoke, fire.

Consider this a preemptive strike, Messier.

Seriously. Follow the dots. You've been a Chiefs fan for how many years?

If your answer is anything GREATER THAN THE NUMBER FOUR, then WE KNOW THIS IS A SHIT CALL.

silver5liter 02-25-2013 01:10 PM

Wait, he just called sanchez a great qb prospect....

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:10 PM

Joeckel.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0223...e_ol_te_04.jpg

I feel like I'm being punked by God.

WildTurkey 02-25-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9436676)
Smoke, fire.

Consider this a preemptive strike, Messier.

Seriously. Follow the dots. You've been a Chiefs fan for how many years?

If your answer is anything GREATER THAN THE NUMBER FOUR, then WE KNOW THIS IS A SHIT CALL.

There was no smoke. The niners leaked that shit to try to drum up interest in Smith. We're not trading for him. If he's a chief it'll be via free agency and I doubt he'd sign here over Arizona

mr. tegu 02-25-2013 01:11 PM

Man, we traded for Smith already? That sucks. I thought maybe it wasn't going to happen given all the reports today that no deal is done with any team and that SF was just bs-ing to up the price and get more suitors.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-25-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9436681)
Joeckel.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0223...e_ol_te_04.jpg

I feel like I'm being punked by God.

He looks like a bundle of sticks. NTTAWWT

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildTurkey (Post 9436683)
There was no smoke. The niners leaked that shit to try to drum up interest in Smith. We're not trading for him. If he's a chief it'll be via free agency and I doubt he'd sign here over Arizona

So let's do the bet, then.

Let's do the bet.

Deal?

keg in kc 02-25-2013 01:12 PM

Was I the only one who didn't think Sanchez was a great QB prospect at the time? I couldn't have been, but it sure felt like it sometimes.

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9436688)
Was I the only one who didn't think Sanchez was a great QB prospect at the time? I couldn't have been, but it sure felt like it sometimes.

It was the plurality opinion at the time, pushed by the Drafturbators themselves.

mr. tegu 02-25-2013 01:12 PM

Nobody will trade for Smith because everyone knows they aren't going to pick up his 8 milllion dollar option. They just put that out there to try to get someone to come at them with a trade offer. All they need is one team to fall for it.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-25-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

I was on the Sanchize peni. I whiffed. I whiffed on Ryan too. BUT I STILL WANNA BE GM!

WildTurkey 02-25-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

I was a Stafford guy but thought Sanchez was at least going to be an above average to good starter.

Prison Bitch 02-25-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9436584)
LMAO

Are you still drunk?

Why? His post seemed reasonable to me.

tk13 02-25-2013 01:14 PM

This idea keeps coming up. All it's going to do is make you angry. You aren't going to ever hire anyone who cares about this kind of history. If Reid and Dorsey are fired in 4 years, the next guy isn't going to care about the mistakes they made. Just like Dorsey doesn't care about Pioli.
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildTurkey (Post 9436695)
I was a Stafford guy but thought Sanchez was at least going to be an above average to good starter.

ROFL

Either accept the bet or pussy out.

Pretending you didn't see my offer is hysterical.

WildTurkey 02-25-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9436687)
So let's do the bet, then.

Let's do the bet.

Deal?

Sounds good to me. The chiefs will not trade for Alex Smith. It's either going to be Foles or Geno in KC next year

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildTurkey (Post 9436705)
Sounds good to me. The chiefs will not trade for Alex Smith. It's either going to be Foles or Geno in KC next year

Awesome.

So free agency starts March 12.

Shall we give it til March 17th? If Alex Smith is not yet on the team at that point, I'll ban myself through the draft.

If he is, you will.

WildTurkey 02-25-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9436703)
ROFL

Either accept the bet or pussy out.

Pretending you didn't see my offer is hysterical.

With all your incessant whining and bitching in this thread I didn't actually see it. Not good at wading through all of that whiny bullshit.

WildTurkey 02-25-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9436708)
Awesome.

So free agency starts March 12.

Shall we give it til March 17th? If Alex Smith is not yet on the team at that point, I'll ban myself through the draft.

If he is, you will.

Deal

Deberg_1990 02-25-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Im on record as wanting them to draft Sanchez at the time.

I also didnt mind the Cassel trade at the time either. The mistake was made by not bringing in any competition to replace him or upgrade him.

philfree 02-25-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

I would have pulled the trigger on Sanchex if we hadn't traded for Cassel but he had alot more red flags then he ever had "it". Sanchex to Geno Smith isn't a good comparison at all. From the number of starts to the arm strength to the athleticism.

Saccopoo 02-25-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Ummm...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhaiza8hzO1qc7qpt.gif

Rasputin 02-25-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9436698)
This idea keeps coming up. All it's going to do is make you angry. You aren't going to ever hire anyone who cares about this kind of history. If Reid and Dorsey are fired in 4 years, the next guy isn't going to care about the mistakes they made. Just like Dorsey doesn't care about *****.
Posted via Mobile Device

Then that is on Clark Hunt shoulders and he hasn't learned shit from his mistakkes we will never learn as a franchise and correct the wrongs.

We are just going round in circles here.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iAgX6qlJEMc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Flopnuts 02-25-2013 01:23 PM

Yeah, I hated Cassel from the start. I was railing on that trade and calling him Casshole before he ever put a Chiefs uniform on.

WildTurkey 02-25-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9436724)
I would have pulled the trigger on Sanchex if we hadn't traded for Cassel but he had alot more red flags then he ever had "it". Sanchex to Geno Smith isn't a good comparison at all. From the number of starts to the arm strength to the athleticism.

I would've too. I never thought Sanchez would be as god awful as he's been. Even with the ?'s about him coming out

htismaqe 02-25-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

I didn't think he was a great prospect. I was concerned about his lack of starts.

But I let myself get caught up in wanting him because the alternative was scary. And guess what? Regardless of how Sanchez turned out, the alternative absolutely WAS scary.

Molitoth 02-25-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

I didn't like Sanchez at all.

I did whiff on Matt Ryan though... I never thought he would be any good.

keg in kc 02-25-2013 01:34 PM

The lesson we needed to take in both 2008 and 2009 was that you have to do whatever it takes to move up. Ryan was sitting there at 3, and the Falcons purportedly would've been fine with Dorsey. Stafford we probably had no chance at.

And now that we're sitting at #1 ourselves...

Passing on Geno Smith would make selecting Tyson Jackson look like a genious move in comparison. It's such a no-brainer.

ChiefsCountry 02-25-2013 01:35 PM

Sanchez was a pretty good prospect. He needed time to sit and learn, which is what alot posters on here wanted. He proved he could play on the bright stage in the playoffs, just didn't have the mental prepartion week in and week out. Which a vet showing the ropes would have helped. Not to mention the Jets pretty much dismantled that team but alas that is in the past.

htismaqe 02-25-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9436743)
I didn't like Sanchez at all.

I did whiff on Matt Ryan though... I never thought he would be any good.

Is he really that good?

I would have taken Matt Ryan. But I was also convinced that he was more of a game manger than anything else.

So far, that's really what he has been, a high-end game manager.

Lex Luthor 02-25-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9436577)
The 2008 season = 2-14, ushered in the ***** regime.

The 2012 season = 2-14, ushered in the Reid regime.

3rd overall pick in 2009, with a great QB prospect on board (Sanchez), no QB on the roster.

1st overall pick in 2013, with a great QB prospect on board (Smith), no QB on the roster.

Chiefs trade a high 2nd in 2009 for somebody else's backup (Matt Cassel).

Chiefs trade a high 3rd in 2013 for somebody else's backup (Alex Smith).

Matt Cassel's career stats as of today: 58% completion, 6.6 yards/pass, 173 yards/game, 82 TD to 57 INT, 160 sacks, and 24 40+ yard plays.

Alex Smith's career stats as of today: 59% completion, 6.6 yards/pass, 178 yards/game, 81 TD to 63 INT, 196 sacks, and 33 40+ yard plays.

Chiefs use the 3rd overall in 2009 on a non-impact trench player (Tyson Jackson).

Chiefs use the 1st overall in 2013 on a non-impact trench player (Luke Joeckel).

I HATE THIS GODDAMN TEAM.

SERIOUSLY.

**** THIS GODDAMN TEAM.

Just stop.

You're getting ready to jump off of a bridge and you're trying to convince everyone else to jump with you because your panties are in a wad over a complete BULLSHIT story.

THE 49ERS AND THE CHIEFS HAVE NOT AGREED TO ANYTHING. This story has the same amount of proof as the stories that claimed it was a 95% certainty that Andy Reid will coach the Arizona Cardinals. It has the same amount of proof as Nick Athan's "The deal is done" story about Mike Shanahan becoming the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. Right now it's nothing more than bullshit speculation.

Not only have you gone into full panic mode over bullshit speculation, but you're also insisting upon blaming Reid and Dorsey for the collective failures of their predecessors.

Do you blame Obama for the War in Iraq over WMDs that were never found?

Do you blame Bush for the Monica Lewinsky scandal?

Do you blame Clinton for the Iran Contra affair?

Do you blame Reagan for the stagflation of the 1970s?

Do you blame Carter for the Viet Nam war?

No? You don't blame those guys for the mistakes of their predecessors? Then maybe you should stop blaming Dorsey and Reid for everything bad that has ever happened with the Chiefs.

IF they pass on Geno Smith, and IF they bring in Alex Smith, and IF they fail as miserably as the Scott ***** regime did, THEN threads like this will be appropriate. IF those things happen, THEN you'll be able to blame them all you want, and they will deserve it.

Until then, you're just acting like a whiny bitch.

JUST STOP.

SERIOUSLY.

Molitoth 02-25-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9436771)
Is he really that good?

I would have taken Matt Ryan. But I was also convinced that he was more of a game manger than anything else.

So far, that's really what he has been, a high-end game manager.

I agree. He's not an Elite QB, but he's taken the Falcons a lot further than I thought he would.

Discuss Thrower 02-25-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9436783)
Just stop.

You're getting ready to jump off of a bridge and you're trying to convince everyone else to jump with you because your panties are in a wad over a complete BULLSHIT story.

THE 49ERS AND THE CHIEFS HAVE NOT AGREED TO ANYTHING. This story has the same amount of proof as the stories that claimed it was a 95% certainty that Andy Reid will coach the Arizona Cardinals. It has the same amount of proof as Nick Athan's "The deal is done" story about Mike Shanahan becoming the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. Right now it's nothing more than bullshit speculation.

Not only have you gone into full panic mode over bullshit speculation, but you're also insisting upon blaming Reid and Dorsey for the collective failures of their predecessors.

Do you blame Obama for the War in Iraq over WMDs that were never found?

Do you blame Bush for the Monica Lewinsky scandal?

Do you blame Clinton for the Iran Contra affair?

Do you blame Reagan for the stagflation of the 1970s?

Do you blame Carter for the Viet Nam war?

No? You don't blame those guys for the mistakes of their predecessors? Then maybe you should stop blaming Dorsey and Reid for everything bad that has ever happened with the Chiefs.

IF they pass on Geno Smith, and IF they bring in Alex Smith, and IF they fail as miserably as the Scott ***** regime did, THEN threads like this will be appropriate. IF those things happen, THEN you'll be able to blame them all you want, and they will deserve it.

Until then, you're just acting like a whiny bitch.

JUST STOP.

SERIOUSLY.

No matter how many times you pause, rewind and play the movie Titanic it hits the iceberg everytime.

The Chiefs are the Titanic; Alex Smith / Matt Cassel / Trent Green / Elvis Grbac / Steve Bono / Joe Montana / Steve Deberg are the iceberg.

That whole thing with Kate Winslet on the piece of wood is the same thing that's played out since 1983.

htismaqe 02-25-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9436783)

Nobody is BLAMING Dorsey and Reid for everything bad that has ever happened with the Chiefs.

People are, RIGHTFULLY, concerned that they will repeat the mistakes of the past. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

PaulAllen 02-25-2013 01:50 PM

Sanchez had nowhere near the tape, resume, or skills that Geno has shown over the course of their respective college careers and yet still went #5 overall.

If you need a QB and you have a top five pick, Geno is your man people.

Lex Luthor 02-25-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9436802)
Nobody is BLAMING Dorsey and Reid for everything bad that has ever happened with the Chiefs.

People are, RIGHTFULLY, concerned that they will repeat the mistakes of the past. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I'll be bitterly disappointed if Reid and Dorsey bring in Alex instead of Geno.

But Alex Smith is not Matt Cassel. If Reid and Dorsey decide to go in that direction, I'm not jumping off of a bridge. I'll hope that they are right and I am wrong.

I liked the earlier post in this thread where it was pointed out that if the Chiefs had drafted Mark Sanchez, there would be similar threads today saying that the Chiefs must draft Luke Joekel instead of Geno Smith in order to avoid history repeating itself.

Fact #1: The players are different, the guys doing the evaluations are different, and the situations are different.

Fact #2: No head coach or GM worth a shit lets the fans choose the quarterback, no matter how intense the feelings of the fans are.

Lex Luthor 02-25-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9436799)
No matter how many times you pause, rewind and play the movie Titanic it hits the iceberg everytime.

The Chiefs are the Titanic; Alex Smith / Matt Cassel / Trent Green / Elvis Grbac / Steve Bono / Joe Montana / Steve Deberg are the iceberg.

That whole thing with Kate Winslet on the piece of wood is the same thing that's played out since 1983.

Analogy fail

htismaqe 02-25-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9436816)
But Alex Smith is not Matt Cassel. If Reid and Dorsey decide to go in that direction, I'm not jumping off of a bridge. I'll hope that they are right and I am wrong.

No, he's not. Over the course of his entire career, he's actually WORSE than Matt Cassel.

And if they go that direction, they're stupid. Just like Pioli was stupid. I don't have any hope and they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Period.

Now, for me, it's not just Alex Smith in a vacuum. If they still draft a QB #1 overall, that's something. But if we get Smith and draft a tackle, it's over for me. No more histrionics, I promise. Because I'm walking away.

KC Hawks 02-25-2013 02:01 PM

Pretty sure 2009 < 2013, actually.

RealSNR 02-25-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9436698)
This idea keeps coming up. All it's going to do is make you angry. You aren't going to ever hire anyone who cares about this kind of history. If Reid and Dorsey are fired in 4 years, the next guy isn't going to care about the mistakes they made. Just like Dorsey doesn't care about *****.
Posted via Mobile Device

Look at the history. Herm didn't care about Marty's mistakes. Vermeil didn't care about Gunther's mistakes (though Vermeil was primarily a mistake unto himself when it concerned certain aspects of coaching). Pioli didn't care about Carl's mistakes. Carl didn't care about Steadman's mistakes.

Like it or not, when you take over a team, you inherit all the successes and failures of that team's past. And that means it would behoove somebody like Reid and Dorsey to look at the Chiefs and say, "Maybe Alex Smith isn't going to work. Maybe we should go a different direction that they haven't tried before. How about the draft?"

patteeu 02-25-2013 02:05 PM

With the benefit of hindsight, Tyson Jackson was a better pick than Mark Sanchez.

Lex Luthor 02-25-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9436841)
Look at the history. Herm didn't care about Marty's mistakes. Vermeil didn't care about Gunther's mistakes (though Vermeil was primarily a mistake unto himself when it concerned certain aspects of coaching). ***** didn't care about Carl's mistakes. Carl didn't care about Steadman's mistakes.

Like it or not, when you take over a team, you inherit all the successes and failures of that team's past. And that means it would behoove somebody like Reid and Dorsey to look at the Chiefs and say, "Maybe Alex Smith isn't going to work. Maybe we should go a different direction that they haven't tried before. How about the draft?"

It may be nice to think it would work that way, but do you really think Andy Reid is going to draw his conclusions based upon the history of the Chiefs, or will he draw them based upon his own personal history as head coach of the Eagles?

htismaqe 02-25-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Look at the history. Herm didn't care about Marty's mistakes. Vermeil didn't care about Gunther's mistakes (though Vermeil was primarily a mistake unto himself when it concerned certain aspects of coaching). ***** didn't care about Carl's mistakes. Carl didn't care about Steadman's mistakes.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

htismaqe 02-25-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9436848)
It may be nice to think it would work that way, but do you really think Andy Reid is going to draw his conclusions based upon the history of the Chiefs, or will he draw them based upon his own personal history as head coach of the Eagles?

In an ideal world, he'd do both.

Direckshun 02-25-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9436837)
But if we get Smith and draft a tackle, it's over for me. No more histrionics, I promise. Because I'm walking away.

If they do that, I am assuming the responsibility of ChiefsPlanet's unrestrained id.

Ace Gunner 02-25-2013 02:14 PM

d- the diff is that you have veteran leaders as opposed to importing them. not that it'll make a diff, but that is one reason why you want veterans on your team.

This franchise dug a huge hole. they are climbing out.

PaulAllen 02-25-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

But if we get Smith and draft a tackle, it's over for me. No more histrionics, I promise. Because I'm walking away.

I will go off like Rambo with a .50 Cal

Direckshun 02-25-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

No, he's not. Over the course of his entire career, he's actually WORSE than Matt Cassel.

Yup.

If you include only his last year as a Patriot and his entire Chiefs tenure, Cassel actually lays Alex Smith to waste.

Only when you include the years where he basically came in two times a year to hand the ball off to running backs does Alex Smith catch up.

tk13 02-25-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Look at the history. Herm didn't care about Marty's mistakes. Vermeil didn't care about Gunther's mistakes (though Vermeil was primarily a mistake unto himself when it concerned certain aspects of coaching). Pioli didn't care about Carl's mistakes. Carl didn't care about Steadman's mistakes.

That is all absolutely correct... but nobody is going out there making moves just to avoid repeating what the previous guy did. They're going to do what they think is right. No GM is ever going to draft a QB just because it hasn't been done in 30 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Rick 02-25-2013 02:21 PM

I love how this place is ready to write off the Reid/Dorsey regime BEFORE THEIR FIRST FREAKING DRAFT, let alone the first game!

ROFL

Molitoth 02-25-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 9436879)
I love how this place is ready to write off the Reid/Dorsey regime BEFORE THEIR FIRST FREAKING DRAFT, let alone the first game!

ROFL

It's all hypothetical.

Basically IF the new staff does this THEN....

The Rick 02-25-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9436955)
It's all hypothetical.

Basically IF the new staff does this THEN....

What if they pass on Geno Smith, someone else drafts him, and he ends up being a bust? I mean, I know that's a hypothetical question and all because there's no way Geno isn't worthy of the #1 pick, let alone end up being a bust. But what if?

Will we still say Reid/Dorsey were wrong for not taking a chance on a QB when they had it?

RUSH 02-25-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9436845)
With the benefit of hindsight, Tyson Jackson was a better pick than Mark Sanchez.

What?

Please explain how a guy who went to 2 AFC title games, and made plays on the way there is not a better pick than Jackson? Did the defense help? Sure but Sanchez also played well in the playoffs and made plays when he had to.

Jackson has had zero impact his entire career.

keg in kc 02-25-2013 03:02 PM

Did the Jets defense help Sanchez? No. The Jets defense carried him. Put him on Kansas City in 2009 and he's most likely even worse than Cassel. He certainly never makes the playoffs.

Molitoth 02-25-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 9436976)
What if they pass on Geno Smith, someone else drafts him, and he ends up being a bust? I mean, I know that's a hypothetical question and all because there's no way Geno isn't worthy of the #1 pick, let alone end up being a bust. But what if?

Will we still say Reid/Dorsey were wrong for not taking a chance on a QB when they had it?

I think the majority of us here in CP are looking for this franchise to TAKE A CHANCE and follow the model that superbowl appearing teams are using to get there and that is to draft and develop a QB, not trade for someone elses castoff that wasn't good enough. (and I'm not talking about Peyton Manning, that was an unusual situation).

If Geno was picked to KC and he busts, I will cheer this franchise for trying.
If we pick up Alex Smith, I will not give two shits about the chiefs.