ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Maker's Mark to reduce alcohol content (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269903)

Hammock Parties 02-11-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9393482)
You can't steal video off the interwebs that will give you any knowledge about quality booze.

Just stay out of this one...

I admit to being completely clueless about booze...therefore I am asking.

Educate me, drunkard.

Molitoth 02-11-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9393447)
Booze snoobs, is this really going to make that much of a difference?

Would you even know if they hadn't announced it?

No, they wouldn't.

and if people are drinking to get drunk, they can always switch to something with more Alcohol in it.

Rausch 02-11-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9393488)
I admit to being completely clueless about booze...therefore I am asking.

Educate me, drunkard.

1) Freeze the glass - don't add water to a good (expensive) drink.

2) Learn blends. Malts. How many malts? Filters. Age. All plays in to the taste of the drink.

3) Play stupid and taste for free. You're in shape - find a gay bartender and ask him what the difference is. You won't have much difficulty selling yourself as a legitimate opportunity.

If you feel guilty remind yourself that women do this every single day and get drunk for free (I don't know what the kids call it now but it use to be "milking a man.")

Reaper16 02-11-2013 10:41 AM

If it tastes the same, which is a substantial if, then I don't see the problem. You aren't paying for the alcohol level. You're paying for the (in the case of Maker's, overrated) flavor profile.

Just Passin' By 02-11-2013 10:41 AM

One fewer brand to have to choose from.

Rausch 02-11-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9393515)
If it tastes the same, which is a substantial if, then I don't see the problem. You aren't paying for the alcohol level. You're paying for the (in the case of Maker's, overrated) flavor profile.

It's the best of the middle area.

It's like buying a Sony/Pioneer receiver...

LoneWolf 02-11-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9393440)
hey gang,

we're going to charge the same price for a product with more water in it...because we care

Would you be happier if they raised the price of the same product? This was strictly a business decision. They could've raised the price and less people could enjoy their product, or do what they have chosen to do and up their supply by cutting their bourbon with more water while still maintaining the same taste.

I thought the owner did an excellent job of explaining this decision and how upfront the company is being concerning this decision is refreshing. In the end, if the taste is the same, who gives a shit? If your drinking Maker's Mark to get drunk, you are wasting your money. Go buy something cheaper like Old Crow if all you want to do is get wasted.

Hammock Parties 02-11-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9393513)
1) Freeze the glass - don't add water to a good (expensive) drink.

2) Learn blends. Malts. How many malts? Filters. Age. All plays in to the taste of the drink.

3) Play stupid and taste for free. You're in shape - find a gay bartender and ask him what the difference is. You won't have much difficulty selling yourself as a legitimate opportunity.

If you feel guilty remind yourself that women do this every single day and get drunk for free (I don't know what the kids call it now but it use to be "milking a man.")

I'm not interested in drinking. I just want to know if you can REALLY tell the difference between 84 proof and 90 proof, especially when you're shitfaced.

It sounds like drunkard elitism.

PaulAllen 02-11-2013 10:54 AM

Makers is out in a lot of places. I need to see if Costco still has any batches left.

Bewbies 02-11-2013 10:58 AM

I always liked Makers with a few drops of water in it...

One could always switch the Buffalo Trace if this pissed them off enough, it's better anyway.

DJ's left nut 02-11-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9393562)
I'm not interested in drinking. I just want to know if you can REALLY tell the difference between 84 proof and 90 proof, especially when you're shitfaced.

It sounds like drunkard elitism.

You'll find a lot of that.

I love a good scotch and I've kinda developed some of the drunkard elitism as well when it comes to scotches and red wines. Bourbons I don't drink enough of to really get riled up about, but I certainly recognize the breed.

I do think it's absurd that so many people are 'swearing off' Maker's Mark without even trying the new batch and I do think there's an excellent chance they'd have never known the difference had they not been told.

Just Passin' By 02-11-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9393644)
You'll find a lot of that.

I love a good scotch and I've kinda developed some of the drunkard elitism as well when it comes to scotches and red wines. Bourbons I don't drink enough of to really get riled up about, but I certainly recognize the breed.

I do think it's absurd that so many people are 'swearing off' Maker's Mark without even trying the new batch and I do think there's an excellent chance they'd have never known the difference had they not been told.

When a company changes its formula, they face customer backlash. It's not snobbery. It's comfort, and faith in the product. This isn't shrinking the bottle by a few ounces, this is screwing with the drink itself. You've built up your brand by talking about its greatness, and you risk pissing away all of the accumulated goodwill and loyalty by changing what you claimed was great.

Coca Cola learned that.

InChiefsHeaven 02-11-2013 11:34 AM

I don't have to worry about it as I'm not a huge fan of Makers Mark anyway. I enjoy bourbon, and I'm always trying different ones. I'm supposed to love Makers, but when I drink it, it's just meh. I like Knob Creek a whole ton better. Hell, I like Evan Williams better than Makers.

So...this news means precisely dick to me. Except when I go over to the old man's place, he is a Maker's guy.

DJ's left nut 02-11-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9393657)
When a company changes its formula, they face customer backlash. It's not snobbery. It's comfort, and faith in the product. This isn't shrinking the bottle by a few ounces, this is screwing with the drink itself. You've built up your brand by talking about its greatness, and you risk pissing away all of the accumulated goodwill and loyalty by changing what you claimed was great.

Coca Cola learned that.

And one would think that those loyal customers that are subjecting you to such backlash would at least...I dunno...try it before flipping their shit.

And I see no way that Maker's doesn't make a 'premium' version that they do raise the price on so that folks that insist they can take the difference will have a way to spend more money on stuff that tastes the same.

It's just an odd rush to judgment with so many people already writing Makers off altogether without even seeing what they're going to produce.

frankotank 02-11-2013 11:39 AM

Hey! Makers Mark!

know how I know yer gay?