ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Revolution: JJ Abrams, SciFi, Post-Apocalypse (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255936)

Buck 02-08-2012 08:55 AM

Revolution: JJ Abrams, SciFi, Post-Apocalypse

Sounds great right?

The only worry is that NBC is picking it up.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/02/j-j-abrams-nbc/

Quote:

NBC has picked up a new drama pilot from the Star Trek director and Warner Bros. TV. The logline: “A high octane action drama from J. J. Abrams following a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist.”

Now that’s the rather cryptic official description. But here’s an earlier, more exciting logline with more detail:“In this epic adventure thriller, a family struggles to reunite in a post-apocalyptic American landscape: a world of empty cities, local militias and heroic freedom fighters, where every single piece of technology — computers, planes, cars, phones, even lights — has mysteriously blacked out … forever.”

mnchiefsguy 02-08-2012 12:53 PM

Sounds interesting. Hopefully it does not take too much of his attention away from the Star Trek sequel and Alcatraz.

deadbabyseal 02-08-2012 12:57 PM

No phone, no lights, no motor cars,
Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson Crusoe,
As primitive as can be.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-08-2012 01:19 PM

Network TV = no thanks.

Frazod 02-08-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8358661)
Sounds interesting. Hopefully it does not take too much of his attention away from the Star Trek sequel and Alcatraz.

I wish he'd concentrate on Star Trek and quit farting around with this other stuff - I really don't like the idea of waiting 3 1/2 years between movies (at least).

mnchiefsguy 02-08-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8359032)
I wish he'd concentrate on Star Trek and quit farting around with this other stuff - I really don't like the idea of waiting 3 1/2 years between movies (at least).

Yeah, seems like he has too many irons in the fire.

Frazod 02-08-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8359060)
Yeah, seems like he has too many irons in the fire.

I just checked IMDB - the release date of the next one is May 2013 - that's FOUR YEARS.

**** you, Abrams. Like I don't get enough of this shit waiting for George Martin to write new books. 4321

whoman69 02-08-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8359032)

I think he's rewritten Star Trek enough. I don't need a reboot.

007 02-08-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8359073)
I just checked IMDB - the release date of the next one is May 2013 - that's FOUR YEARS.

**** you, Abrams. Like I don't get enough of this shit waiting for George Martin to write new books. 4321

IF he doesn't move it back another 6 months like the first one.

Frazod 02-08-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8359234)
IF he doesn't move it back another 6 months like the first one.

Yeah, I know. :banghead:

At least they're currently filming.

keg in kc 02-08-2012 04:33 PM

I don't think JJ's actually doing very much with these shows, just throwing his name on there as a producer credit to help get them on the air. I don't think he's actively involved in the production of any of them.

Frazod 02-08-2012 05:04 PM

All I know is if Darth Lucas can churn out his ridiculously overblown Star Wars movies once every three years, Abrams should be able to at least do the same with much more character heavy Star Trek movies.

keg in kc 02-09-2012 10:11 AM

Bit more information:

The pilot is written by Supernatural creator and former showrunner Eric Kripke (which is a plus in my book, I love that series) and will be directed by Jon Favreau.

keg in kc 02-27-2012 07:04 PM

Just announced - Giancarlo Esposito has landed the lead role. Formerly Gus Fring on Breaking Bad and currently part of the ensemble in ABC's Once Upon a Time.

Buck 02-27-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8403264)
Just announced - Giancarlo Esposito has landed the lead role. Formerly Gus Fring on Breaking Bad and currently part of the ensemble in ABC's Once Upon a Time.

Awesome.

duncan_idaho 02-27-2012 07:47 PM

So... this is a pretty blatant plot ripoff of the "Dies the Fire" fantasy series written by S.M. Stirling.

I'll watch it, though.

BillSelfsTrophycase 02-27-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbabyseal (Post 8358673)
No phone, no lights, no motor cars,
Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson Crusoe,
As primitive as can be.

Wierd Al rep

Buck 05-14-2012 01:20 PM

Bump for the n00b

Tribal Warfare 09-04-2012 02:43 PM

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/q-5py5zriixta7sxoxrn5a"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/q-5py5zriixta7sxoxrn5a" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

htismaqe 09-04-2012 03:30 PM

This show wasn't too bad when it was called "Jericho"...

Buck 09-04-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8877331)
This show wasn't too bad when it was called "Jericho"...

Seems pretty different to me.

notorious 09-04-2012 03:55 PM

Airliners falling out of the sky. LMAO

BigMeatballDave 09-04-2012 03:59 PM

Physics went insane? Seriously?

That's the explanation for why technology stopped?

I stopped after I heard that.

notorious 09-04-2012 04:07 PM

GUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walter can't kill the unkillable!

notorious 09-04-2012 04:09 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JwfCRAtkYEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm in.

htismaqe 09-04-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8877381)
Seems pretty different to me.

It was a joke.

007 09-04-2012 05:14 PM

It will end with a cliffhanger and a cancellation. This is NBC you know.

mnchiefsguy 09-04-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8877556)

This is what is holding me back from watching. I do not want to invest in a show, only to have it cancelled with no ending. I might start watching if they announce a renewal for a second season.

Frazod 09-04-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8877556)

**** Abrams. WORK ON STAR TREK YOU ASSHOLE!!!!!!! :cuss:

mnchiefsguy 09-04-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8878061)

I second this. No ****ing excuse why the next Star Trek movie is not already on the big screen.

Frazod 09-04-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8878077)
I second this. No ****ing excuse why the next Star Trek movie is not already on the big screen.

They rebooted it with a good cast, and now it takes 3 1/2 ****ing years between movies, assuming it doesn't get kicked back to December again? Seriously, at this rate, how many more can we expect? One, maybe two? Goddamn prick. If he wasn't willing to commit to it, he should have left it the hell alone.

He's like the movie version of George R.R. Martin. :banghead:

Deberg_1990 09-04-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

I'm still pissed there's never been a big screen Felicity movie.

Buck 09-05-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Didn't they say 2013 right after the first one came out?

Molitoth 09-05-2012 12:44 PM

I will give it a chance since it has Gus in it. =)

kaplin42 09-05-2012 01:13 PM

Story and setting has potential.

Seeing as how it is NBC, it will go all "Heroes" inside of 6 weeks.

we will get 12 episodes, then a 3 month break, then 2 episodes and 2 month break. And then the plot and characters will just be stupid.

If it was an HBO show, it would be awesome. Since it's not, it will fail in style.

BigMeatballDave 09-06-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8880203)
Story and setting has potential.

How?

There is no explanation for why shit quits working. Why would batteries stop working?

Planes falling out of the sky?

Stupid.

notorious 09-06-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8883338)
How?

There is no explanation for why shit quits working. Why would batteries stop working?

Stupid.

Maybe, just maybe they will use the screen time to explain the story and plot.

It's a crazy!

BTW, the planes falling out the sky part is ****ing reeruned.

Brock 09-06-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

How?

Stupid.

Keep f-ing doubting J J Abrams

Bump 09-06-2012 01:23 PM

I think it looks cool, but they could have done without the bullshit that is gonna come from one person having the power source, like they indicated on the commercials. Why even have something that reeruned in there? Just do a series about people trying to survive in that situation, leave out the dumbass shit.

Frazod 09-06-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

How?

Stupid.

This was used in Escape from L.A. Satellites broadcasting a continuous EMP as a doomsday weapon. At the end of the movie Snake activates it (too bad he didn't do it in the beginning, because Escape from L.A. really sucked). I believe surviving post EMP was the premise of Dark Angel, but I didn't watch it.

In any event, it's already been done. So quit ****ing around and WORK ON STAR TREK DAMMIT! :#

DaneMcCloud 09-07-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

How?

Stupid.

Yep.

Dumbest. Premise. Ever.

What was the show a few years back in which the world experienced a brief blackout? His sounds like more of the same, only dumber.

After the LOST final season and the cancellation of Alcatraz, I'm no longer interested in J.J Abrams TV projects.

Not gonna waste my time.

keg in kc 09-07-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8886334)
What was the show a few years back in which the world experienced a brief blackout? His sounds like more of the same, only dumber.

FlashForward maybe? That's the one where all the people in the world blacked out. I think I made it through the first 20 minutes or so of that one.

If Revolution didn't have Giancarlo Esposito in it, I probably wouldn't watch it at all.

DaneMcCloud 09-07-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8883712)
In any event, it's already been done. So quit ****ing around and WORK ON STAR TREK DAMMIT! :#

It's been in Post for quite a while. They could have had it ready for Christmas but Paramount wanted it to be a summer "Tent Pole".

Deberg_1990 09-07-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8886341)
It's been in Post for quite a while. They could have had it ready for Christmas but Paramount wanted it to be a summer "Tent Pole".

Hook us up with an advanced rough cut screening Dane!

DaneMcCloud 09-07-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8886340)
FlashForward maybe? That's the one where all the people in the world blacked out. I think I made it through the first 20 minutes or so of that one.

If Revolution didn't have Giancarlo Esposito in it, I probably wouldn't watch it at all.

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

I'll watch Revolution if all of you guys think it's must see TV and also think it'll make it beyond season one.

I'm just too jaded by Abrams at this point to invest.

keg in kc 09-07-2012 12:42 PM

The show I want to see succeed this fall is Last Resort. Big fan of Andre Brauger (and Shawn Ryan). Although Vegas looks kind of cool, conceptually, as well.

keg in kc 09-07-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8886348)
I'll watch Revolution if all of you guys think it's must see TV and also think it'll make it beyond season one.

I don't know that I've read much of a positive word on the pilot, at least so far.

'course part of the problem is that we're in a society that, while on one hand we've grown to like serialized drama, on the other, we're not patient enough to invest more than a week or two into anything. So it's a hard mountain to climb getting a new show to stick, or getting people to watch long enough for the show to grow and improve.

(especially on NBC)

DaneMcCloud 09-07-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8886349)
The show I want to see succeed this fall is Last Resort. Big fan of Andre Brauger (and Shawn Ryan). Although Vegas looks kind of cool, conceptually, as well.

The early word on Vegas is that it's really good and really cool. IMO, they couldn't have chosen two better actors to lead the show. I hope it's kinda like Michael Mann's old series, Crime Story, but I'm betting it's less stylistic and more "CBS" accessible.

The biggest bummer is that Vegas, or Vega$, is a series name that is already in lexicon. Hopefully, they'll reference Dan Tana at some point (which is actually an Italian restaurant on the corner of Santa Monica & Doheny that Frank Sinatra used to frequent in the 60's. GREAT place that's still there today).

DaneMcCloud 09-07-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8886355)
I don't know that I've read much of a positive word on the pilot, at least so far.

'course part of the problem is that we're in a society that, while on one hand we've grown to like serialized drama, on the other, we're not patient enough to invest more than a week or two into anything. So it's a hard mountain to climb getting a new show to stick, or getting people to watch long enough for the show to grow and improve.

(especially on NBC)

I would LOVE a serialized drama and much like Game of Thrones for example, I think other people love it, too.

The problem is that J.J. Abrams, through LOST, has ruined the "high-concept" serial. I just don't trust him and I don't think this will last because most people I speak to don't trust him, either.

keg in kc 09-08-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8887466)
I would LOVE a serialized drama and much like Game of Thrones for example, I think other people love it, too.

The problem is that J.J. Abrams, through LOST, has ruined the "high-concept" serial. I just don't trust him and I don't think this will last because most people I speak to don't trust him, either.

Oh, I agree with that, I was more commenting on how quickly we give up on shows these days. If they aren't the 'best thing ever!' right from the first second of the pilot, we just give up and watch something else. It's like we've forgotten that sometimes things can be a slow burn. 'course part of that is having so ridiculously many options at our fingertips. Why waste time on something that looks meh when there's 700 other channels to flip through?

Deberg_1990 09-08-2012 06:53 PM

I have Uverse and the pilot is available already on demand. I'll try and watch it tonight maybe. I'm pretty sure it's widely available online as well.

007 09-08-2012 08:19 PM

I'm sick of post apocolyptic and its NBC. This thing is doomed from the start. I'm not wasting my time on it.

in short....

Not worth it. :D

Buck 09-08-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8889213)
I have Uverse and the pilot is available already on demand. I'll try and watch it tonight maybe. I'm pretty sure it's widely available online as well.

I'm going to check Cox on Demand to see if they have it, if they do, I'll watch it tonight and report back.

DaneMcCloud 09-08-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8888152)
Oh, I agree with that, I was more commenting on how quickly we give up on shows these days. If they aren't the 'best thing ever!' right from the first second of the pilot, we just give up and watch something else. It's like we've forgotten that sometimes things can be a slow burn. 'course part of that is having so ridiculously many options at our fingertips. Why waste time on something that looks meh when there's 700 other channels to flip through?

I think that Fringe was a somewhat of a "slow burn" but it's got a solid following, especially with DVR numbers and the fact it's on a Friday night. I'm looking forward to the final 13 episodes but hope it continues in some form, as Josh has hinted.

One of the main reasons why I think Revolution will fail is that Alcatraz was getting 6.7 million viewers on a Monday night not including DVR, yet was canceled. That leads me to believe that Fox didn't want to get into a "LOST" type situation and have a series with no true resolution.

The final few episodes were beginning to feel more and more like Lost, especially since they continually referenced "The Island".

Lindelof is a dickfoot.

Baby Lee 09-15-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8886349)

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/ytv/site/player.html#browseCarouselUI=hide&vid=30545724"></iframe></div>

Deberg_1990 09-16-2012 08:05 PM

Ok, I'm like 5 minutes into this thing and it's dumb. Planes falling from the sky, then it starts 15 years after the power goes out and nobody has aged one bit. Fail so far.

DaneMcCloud 09-16-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8918648)
Ok, I'm like 5 minutes into this thing and it's dumb. Planes falling from the sky, then it starts 15 years after the power goes out and nobody has aged one bit. Fail so far.

Shocking

kcxiv 09-17-2012 04:48 AM

actually they aged quite a bit, problem is the people they showed in the previous 15 years are only 3 people. The Brothers and the Militia dude.

Its not bad, ill give it a few episodes before i decide one way or another. The end of thedamn episode was pretty decent.

Spoiler!

Ceej 09-17-2012 10:42 PM

Watching the premiere right now.

what'd you guys think?

cookster50 09-18-2012 07:54 AM

I'm willing to give it a chance, won't be surprised if it crashes and burns though.

Ceej 09-18-2012 08:05 AM

The premiere was okay.

Kinda, sorta hoped they'd build up the black out more.

oldandslow 09-18-2012 08:45 AM

Gets a 6 out of 10 from me. The whole ninja, I can take out 42 militia people by myself was way over the top. Planes falling out of the sky....uh, ok, whatever you say. The poisen in the whiskey thing was kinda cool tho...didn't see that coming. The British woman was the most interesting character of the lot.

I do like the concept of war lords, militia, etc. I think that is exactly what would occur in this type situation.

keg in kc 09-18-2012 12:25 PM

Not great, but I hated it less than I expected, after reading some early reviews. Has promise I think.

Deberg_1990 09-18-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandslow (Post 8924329)
The whole ninja, I can take out 42 militia people by myself was way over the top.

Yea, thats pretty stupid. Theres a reason guns replaced sticks, stones, knives and swords as mans weapon of choice.

kcxiv 09-18-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8924253)
The premiere was okay.

Kinda, sorta hoped they'd build up the black out more.

yeah, i wanna know what happens directly after the black out. I know we will get flash backs, but it would be cool if they started it from there rather then 15 years down the line. 15 years down the line does give them ALOT to work with though. 15 years of flashback content is alot.

kcxiv 09-18-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8925202)
Yea, thats pretty stupid. Theres a reason guns replaced sticks, stones, knives and swords as mans weapon of choice.

they said that guns were banned and its pretty illegal to even have one for whatever type of rules they did have.

Buck 09-18-2012 07:26 PM

Thoughts

1. It was a little goofy.
2. Still better than the stuff SyFy puts out
3. Liked it more than I liked the pilot of Terra Nova
4. If they could show blood it would be better. That fight seemed too fake...
5. I will keep watching

Ceej 09-18-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 8926161)
yeah, i wanna know what happens directly after the black out. I know we will get flash backs, but it would be cool if they started it from there rather then 15 years down the line. 15 years down the line does give them ALOT to work with though. 15 years of flashback content is alot.

Agreed. The electricity went out, plane went down - blew up, then boom 15 years later.

WTF.

kcxiv 09-18-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8926353)
Thoughts

1. It was a little goofy.
2. Still better than the stuff SyFy puts out
3. Liked it more than I liked the pilot of Terra Nova
4. If they could show blood it would be better. That fight seemed too fake...
5. I will keep watching

i have no idea why they cant show blood, Everyone has seen 24 and that show pushed and pushed and pushed the limits of brutal killings n regular tv.

DaneMcCloud 09-18-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 8926161)

Wow, that sounds even worse than I imagined. Thanks for posting this synopsis!

:thumb:

arrowheadnation 09-18-2012 10:10 PM

I liked it. Will definitely be watching in the future. I don't think the mom (Juliet from LOST) is actually dead.

Bump 09-18-2012 10:17 PM

watched the first one. I'm interested.

Rausch 09-18-2012 11:00 PM

Not bad. Has potential...

kcxiv 09-18-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8926536)
Wow, that sounds even worse than I imagined. Thanks for posting this synopsis!

:thumb:

Truth is, its not that bad. Its a bit cheesy, but there is some good stuff in there like Giancarlo. Dude is made to play a bad guy. Also, the brother who was some kind of special black ops guy back before the black out.

Though, for 15 years down the line people dress to clean, not all, but some.

Bump 09-18-2012 11:50 PM

was the black dude in Breaking Bad?

NewChief 09-19-2012 04:37 AM

The review I read was pretty bad, but it went after the logic of the show more than anything.

oldandslow 09-19-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8926983)
The review I read was pretty bad, but it went after the logic of the show more than anything.

Honestly, it wasn't terrible TV. And there just isn't much from the Scifi genre to choose from, so I will keep watching.

The ratings were good, so maybe the show will last for awhile.

Having said that, I so miss Battlestar Galactica, DS9, and even Lost. I have high hopes for Last Resort on Thursday, but I don't see how they keep the story line going.

PhillyChiefFan 09-20-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8926474)
Agreed. The electricity went out, plane went down - blew up, then boom 15 years later.

WTF.

Yea, I kind of thought that the immediate aftermath would have made an entire season. Explaining how the Militia and regions came to be, etc.

Maybe that's still coming, kind of like flashbacks in Lost. Who knows with Abrams.

007 09-20-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 8929726)
Yea, I kind of thought that the immediate aftermath would have made an entire season. Explaining how the Militia and regions came to be, etc.

Maybe that's still coming, kind of like flashbacks in Lost. Who knows with Abrams.

Just wait for the flashforwards.

Frazod 09-20-2012 11:30 PM

I'm watching the pilot now. First thing I notice is how everybody has nice clothes, is well groomed and basically look like models. Yeah, that would happen in a post-apocalyptic world. LMAO

Not terribly impressed so far. It should at least be better than The Postman. So far, it isn't.