ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games *** Official Diablo III Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=212603)

GordonGekko 10-27-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8051976)
For anyone interested, the Diablo 2 ladder just reset yesterday.

I'm always amazed at how long people still play Blizzard games. Diablo 2 came out what, 11 or 12 years ago? I wonder what its player base is at right now?

jd1020 10-27-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 8052019)
I'm always amazed at how long people still play Blizzard games. Diablo 2 came out what, 11 or 12 years ago? I wonder what its player base is at right now?

I still play it, it's actually the only game I have installed. The player base is pretty small now. It's more of a single player game than multiplayer so the amount of people playing doesn't really concern me.

The Franchise 10-28-2011 09:30 AM

I just got an e-mail to participate in the Diablo 3 beta!!!!!! Yeah!!!

All I have to do is respond back with my Battle.net login information, full name and e-mail address.

I'm doing it! You guys are so jealous!

Sofa King 10-28-2011 09:38 AM

YOU ****ING SON OF A BITCH!

SCREENCAP OR I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

allen_kcCard 10-28-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8055415)
YOU ****ING SON OF A BITCH!

SCREENCAP OR I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

FUX THAT, that isn't enough. Screencap, and also PM me your e-mail, and battle/net login/password.

Sofa King 10-28-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8055436)
FUX THAT, that isn't enough. Screencap, and also PM me your e-mail, and battle/net login/password.

Yes. This. I will take off the afternoon to play that bitch.

What are the directions to your house Pestilence? I'm spending the weekend. I'm gonna play Diablo and bang your wife.....

Sofa King 10-28-2011 09:55 AM

Anyone getting the collectors edition?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/collectors-edition/

allen_kcCard 10-28-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7946910)
You can watch Day[9] (Starcraft 2 guy) play the beta as a Witch Doctor here if you're interested:

Watched these a while back, and ever since I have wanted to randomly say things about "Mah dawgs!"

patteeu 10-28-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8055478)
Watched these a while back, and ever since I have wanted to randomly say things about "Mah dawgs!"

There's a second set of videos where he plays through the beta as a wizard with a friend who is playing a demon hunter if you're interested. Pretty repetitive after seeing the first one, but it gives you an idea of what these other two classes look like, I guess.

The Franchise 10-28-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8055465)
Yes. This. I will take off the afternoon to play that bitch.

What are the directions to your house Pestilence? I'm spending the weekend. I'm gonna play Diablo and bang your wife.....

I live on the corner of Your Mom Street and Go **** Yourself Way

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8055470)
Anyone getting the collectors edition?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/collectors-edition/

Can't view at work.

Huffmeister 10-28-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8055660)
I live on the corner of Your Mom Street and Go **** Yourself Way

But Your Mom Street and Go **** Yourself Way don't intersect, they run parallel to each other.

Fish 10-28-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8055705)
But Your Mom Street and Go **** Yourself Way don't intersect, they run parallel to each other.

Actually... Your Mom goes both ways...

Sofa King 10-28-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8055660)

Can't view at work.

http://us.media5.battle.net/cms/gall...9135104614.jpg

:D

Sofa King 10-28-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8055883)

I CAN'T ****ING READ THAT IT'S TOO ****ING SMALL YOU ****ER!

/probably your response

Huffmeister 10-28-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8055761)
Actually... Your Mom goes both ways...

ROFL

Chazno 01-11-2012 01:57 PM

Diablo 3 to consoles??

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ease-confirmed

Pants 01-11-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 8285712)

Why the question mark?

htismaqe 01-11-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

I have a Game Informer interview from a couple of months ago where they all but confirmed for the console.

They're basically just getting started but they hired a whole team of people so it's got to be more than just "exploratory".

Saulbadguy 01-11-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Whelp

Game ruined.

whoman69 01-11-2012 03:44 PM

Guess I never realized they never had this for consoles. Let's see if they dumb it down.

Pants 01-11-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8286094)
Guess I never realized they never had this for consoles. Let's see if they dumb it down.

There's no way to dumb down Diablo. It requires a mouse and... yep, that's it.

Valiant 01-11-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Wasn't it already? That is part of the appeal. Everyone could play, those that spent ime got great.

htismaqe 01-11-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

They won't. That's the whole reason they approached console gaming with such caution. They take their reputation VERY seriously.

Mr. Laz 01-11-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8286486)
They won't. That's the whole reason they approached console gaming with such caution. They take their reputation VERY seriously.

they are already dumb-ing it down, maybe this console stuff is part of the reason. :(

htismaqe 01-12-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8286616)
they are already dumb-ing it down, maybe this console stuff is part of the reason. :(

What do you mean by "dumbing it down"?

Generally, people say that when they're talking about an extensive point-and-click interface with dozens of controls is distilled down into an 8-button control scheme for a console controller.

Diablo only has ONE control so it's kind of hard to lose something between the PC and a console.

And the PC version of the game is completely different. They've already said the console version will be a new game from the ground up. They don't believe in ports.

Pants 01-12-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288214)
What do you mean by "dumbing it down"?

Generally, people say that when they're talking about an extensive point-and-click interface with dozens of controls is distilled down into an 8-button control scheme for a console controller.

Diablo only has ONE control so it's kind of hard to lose something between the PC and a console.

And the PC version of the game is completely different. They've already said the console version will be a new game from the ground up. They don't believe in ports.

He means they're dumbing down the game itself, not necessarily the mechanics. I think Blizzard is realizing that big money lies in casual gamers and not the hardcore (a lesson they learned from WoW). DIII is going to be a dumbed down version of an already dumb game as far as character development (skill trees and stats) goes.

htismaqe 01-12-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288376)
He means they're dumbing down the game itself, not necessarily the mechanics. I think Blizzard is realizing that big money lies in casual gamers and not the hardcore (a lesson they learned from WoW). DIII is going to be a dumbed down version of an already dumb game as far as character development (skill trees and stats) goes.

I don't think Diablo 2 was dumbed down from Diablo, so why would this be any different?

Diablo 3 already appeals to the masses - the success of games like Torchlight and Fate pretty much tell the story.

Pants 01-12-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288400)
I don't think Diablo 2 was dumbed down from Diablo, so why would this be any different?

Diablo 3 already appeals to the masses - the success of games like Torchlight and Fate pretty much tell the story.

IIRC, they're taking the power out of your hands when it comes to building your characters to prevent you from messing the process up. I don't think you can distributed stats in D3 and you can reset your skill trees (which are much more limited now, I think... not 100% sure).

htismaqe 01-12-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288453)
I don't think you can distributed stats in D3

Have read nothing indicating this is the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288453)
and you can reset your skill trees

This one is true. That being said, how is that a BAD thing? Now if we stumble upon an incrementally better build, we don't have to start over from the beginning and grind needlessly. This is one of best changes they could have made, IMO.

Pants 01-12-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288477)
Have read nothing indicating this is the case.

This one is true. That being said, how is that a BAD thing? Now if we stumble upon an incrementally better build, we don't have to start over from the beginning and grind needlessly. This is one of best changes they could have made, IMO.

It's not a bad thing, it's just dumbing the game down by taking the process of making hard choices out of it.

htismaqe 01-12-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288525)
It's not a bad thing, it's just dumbing the game down by taking the process of making hard choices out of it.

The problem with that is that you can always start over. There is no hard choice if you can just start a new character.

All they've done is take the TEDIUM out of it.

Pants 01-12-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288532)
The problem with that is that you can always start over. There is no hard choice if you can just start a new character.

I'd say it's a pretty hard choice when the price you have to pay is starting over.

htismaqe 01-12-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288551)
I'd say it's a pretty hard choice when the price you have to pay is starting over.

If it takes 2-3 hours of gameplay to get back to where you were, that's annoying, not hard.

Pants 01-12-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288664)
If it takes 2-3 hours of gameplay to get back to where you were, that's annoying, not hard.

More like 20-30 hours. And yes, not wanting to go through the annoyance is what makes the choices hard.

Mr. Laz 01-12-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288532)

The Tedium is the price you pay for having a good character. When you spend XX hours grinding a character up to level XX only to find out that your skill choices aren't good enough to survive in Hell level, you pay a price for your mistake. This price invests people in their characters. Starting a new character is no small thing.

In DIII, you just reset you stuff and ask some high level where he put his stats and boom ... your elite. Even a freaking monkey can have a great character.

ex.) If you have a level 99 Hammerdin Pally and want a Templar ... just reset and you have a max level Templar. No need to level up more than one character of each type when you can just switch everything around. It will cost Blizzard replayability in the long run.

Not to mention that apparently in DIII the number of skills are cut and i don't even know if they have (m)any synergies. I guess you can switch around skill gems or something.

Blizzard has switched the game from character building to equipment finding to have a good character. Conveniently they will now have a real money auction/trade house for people to buy good equipment.

why have people work/earn building good characters when they can just buy one from Blizzard.

Mr. Laz 01-12-2012 01:09 PM

oops ... Saul is not going to be happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabloIII
They made PVP separate to remove griefing ...

htismaqe 01-12-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288677)
More like 20-30 hours. And yes, not wanting to go through the annoyance is what makes the choices hard.

Dude, we're not talking about changing from a Barb to a Zon. We're talking about going CLEAR back through the game to take 1 point from double swing and add it to Whirlwind. What you're talking about is completely absurd.

htismaqe 01-12-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8288709)
The Tedium is the price you pay for having a good character. When you spend XX hours grinding a character up to level XX only to find out that your skill choices aren't good enough to survive in Hell level, you pay a price for your mistake. This price invests people in their characters. Starting a new character is no small thing.

Dead end difficulty is not a GOOD thing in any game. I can't believe you'd advocate it as such.

Quote:

In DIII, you just reset you stuff and ask some high level where he put his stats and boom ... your elite. Even a freaking monkey can have a great character.

D2 was ALREADY that way. People could go from zero to 80 or whatever it was in about 6 hours. All they've done is removed the requirement for starting over for those of us who don't want to repeat the same parts of the game over and over.

Quote:

ex.) If you have a level 99 Hammerdin Pally and want a Templar ... just reset and you have a max level Templar. No need to level up more than one character of each type when you can just switch everything around. It will cost Blizzard replayability in the long run.

Now this I agree with. Perhaps a good middle ground is only allowing a certain number of points be redistributed. I'm certainly not advocating being able to start over with a completely new character. But penalizing someone because they mis-allocated 1 or 2 skillpoints out of 30 is silly.

Quote:

Blizzard has switched the game from character building to equipment finding to have a good character.

D2 was EXACTLY the same way. Good eq trumped everything else, because ultimately everybody settled on the same 2-3 builds for each character.

Quote:

Conveniently they will now have a real money auction/trade house for people to buy good equipment.

Quote:

why have people work/earn building good characters when they can just buy one from Blizzard.

I absolutely agree with this. But online auction house and allowing people to redistribute skill points are two COMPLETELY different issues.

Pants 01-12-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288742)
Dude, we're not talking about changing from a Barb to a Zon. We're talking about going CLEAR back through the game to take 1 point from double swing and add it to Whirlwind. What you're talking about is completely absurd.

Uhhh, no. I took a Thornadin all the way to like level 33 before deciding that was a reeruned build and went back to make a Zealadin. Same with my Barb build.

htismaqe 01-12-2012 01:26 PM

And honestly guys, the solution to this is

1) balancing skills properly and/or
2) not binding players to such a rigid skill system

The whole idea of spec builds is outdated, is it not? Allow the player to build whatever they want and balance the game so that their choices don't make the game unplayable later. Bethesda has been doing it for a long, long time.

htismaqe 01-12-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288776)
Uhhh, no. I took a Thornadin all the way to like level 33 before deciding that was a reeruned build and went back to make a Zealadin. Same with my Barb build.

Well, I don't necessarily disagree with you. If you want to make a wholesale change to your character, then start over.

But redistributing 1 or 2 skillpoints here and there should be completely possible.

Maybe it could be tied to skills you already have? For instance you can only subtract or add points to skills you've already paid for?

That way you can't make a whole "new" character in an instant.

Pants 01-12-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288782)
And honestly guys, the solution to this is

1) balancing skills properly and/or
2) not binding players to such a rigid skill system

The whole idea of spec builds is outdated, is it not? Allow the player to build whatever they want and balance the game so that their choices don't make the game unplayable later. Bethesda has been doing it for a long, long time.

Bethesda's leveling and loot systems are also coincidentally complete garbage. Blizzard made an incredible loot system that has been copied in the world of RPGs ever since. They created an even better version of the D2 trees in WoW and kept a similar (but balanced for an MMO) loot system.

htismaqe 01-12-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288793)
Bethesda's leveling and loot systems are also coincidentally complete garbage. Blizzard made an incredible loot system that has been copied in the world of RPGs ever since. They created an even better version of the D2 trees in WoW and kept a similar but balanced for an MMO loot system.

Their loot system is not nearly as addictive as Diablo. But then again, Laz was complaining about equipment vs. skills. Isn't that what we want?

As for leveling systems, I'm not suggesting what Bethesda did is perfect but it's certainly workable in a sense that you're not going to be overly penalized for decisions you make. BTW, did you ever play Arcanum?

Pants 01-12-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288803)
Their loot system is not nearly as addictive as Diablo. But then again, Laz was complaining about equipment vs. skills. Isn't that what we want?

As for leveling systems, I'm not suggesting what Bethesda did is perfect but it's certainly workable in a sense that you're not going to be overly penalized for decisions you make. BTW, did you ever play Arcanum?

Never played Arcanum but heard it was good. And, yeah, I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Laz because, let's face it, D2 was 80% loot grind and 20% character building.

Did you ever play World of Warcraft?

htismaqe 01-12-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288813)
Never played Arcanum but heard it was good. And, yeah, I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Laz because, let's face it, D2 was 80% loot grind and 20% character building.

Did you ever play World of Warcraft?

No.

I avoided WoW for the same reason I never tried heroin. :)

Pants 01-12-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8288823)
No.

I avoided WoW for the same reason I never tried heroin. :)

Hehehe. Good call on that, man.

The Franchise 01-12-2012 05:38 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PzzrmE-0P1c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ming the Merciless 01-12-2012 05:40 PM

that looks bad ****ing ass

htismaqe 01-12-2012 07:02 PM

Yeah, everything about it looks cool.

I hope they don't ruin it with the online bits.

Diablo 2 was one of the coolest games ever made.

Sofa King 01-17-2012 09:33 AM

For the console guys, Diablo was on playstation. I remember playing it on the ps1. Wasn't too hard to control.

http://images.4chon.net/v/src/1326219493396.jpg

Sofa King 01-19-2012 02:13 PM

They just changed a bunch more shit. Looking more and more like this this will be a late in the year release, if at all in 2012.

They just won't stop changing shit.

Read the comments from the nerds. They're getting pissed off.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4325...nges-1_19_2012

htismaqe 01-19-2012 02:27 PM

The very first paragraph is 100% correct.

Diablo 2 was delayed and delayed and delayed. For most games, it doesn't work. For Blizzard, they DESERVE to take their time. Their track record speaks for itself.

patteeu 01-19-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8311241)

Diablo 2 was delayed and delayed and delayed. For most games, it doesn't work. For Blizzard, they DESERVE to take their time. Their track record speaks for itself.

Yep.

Mr. Laz 01-19-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8311191)
They just changed a bunch more shit. Looking more and more like this this will be a late in the year release, if at all in 2012.

They just won't stop changing shit.

Read the comments from the nerds. They're getting pissed off.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4325...nges-1_19_2012

http://www.gamingtruth.com/wp-conten...m-3bfe-700.jpg

Imon Yourside 01-20-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8304938)
For the console guys, Diablo was on playstation. I remember playing it on the ps1. Wasn't too hard to control.

http://images.4chon.net/v/src/1326219493396.jpg

Now playable on PSP, err well it's been playable on the go(ironically not on the pspgo) for quite a while. Diablo 1 was probably the best of the lot.

Imon Yourside 01-20-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8311241)

Only if they bring back skill/stat points! :D

The Franchise 01-23-2012 05:54 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cSgmmw1NJ8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 01-24-2012 08:07 AM

Way cool feature. LOL @ the commentary...

DJ's left nut 01-24-2012 12:59 PM

I know nothing about this game or gaming in general. I only know that this thread has been around awhile and that this picture is probably pretty funny:

http://img4.memecenter.com/uploaded/...7289392510.jpg

Sofa King 01-24-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8323403)
I know nothing about this game or gaming in general. I only know that this thread has been around awhile and that this picture is probably pretty funny:

http://img4.memecenter.com/uploaded/...7289392510.jpg

It's accurate.

The Franchise 01-24-2012 06:11 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6wCQkV2CbRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil 01-24-2012 07:57 PM

Interesting that you can use artisan skills on alts. That would be a nice plus if they keep it for the commercial release.

Mr. Laz 01-24-2012 09:44 PM

We should be getting ready to play Diablo V right now, not 3.

Diablo II rocked and was running strong. They could of just just tweaked the engine,made some new maps and invented some new bosses and released DIII 10 years ago.

They needed to do something about the dupes and hacks but other than that all they needed was more content.

a couple of UBER expansion pack type Diablo versions that would of been easy/cheap to make and could of been sold for less too.

but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .............

Imon Yourside 01-24-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8324737)

Diablo II rocked and was running strong. They could of just just tweaked the engine,made some new maps and invented some new bosses and released DIII 10 years ago.

They needed to do something about the dupes and hacks but other than that all they needed was more content.

a couple of UBER expansion pack type Diablo versions that would of been easy/cheap to make and could of been sold for less too.

I disagree on one point, they could have left the hacks in. Nothing keeps a game more interesting than discovering new hacks just when you're ready to put it down. ;)

Mr. Laz 01-25-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8324955)
I disagree on one point, they could have left the hacks in. Nothing keeps a game more interesting than discovering new hacks just when you're ready to put it down. ;)

I loved the map hack ... used it all the time but all the duping and stuff sucked.

trashed the diablo economy etc

Imon Yourside 01-25-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8326645)
I loved the map hack ... used it all the time but all the duping and stuff sucked.

trashed the diablo economy etc

Of course they banned Maphack and left the dupe/trade hacks in.

htismaqe 01-26-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8324737)

Don't worry, the duping and stuff will not be in the game. They're taking extra precautions this time, since the whole Battle.Net online trading post is a new source of REVENUE.

Saulbadguy 01-27-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8288712)
oops ... Saul is not going to be happy.

Worry not - there is always a way to grief.

Sofa King 01-31-2012 04:19 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kDb_h3Pm25g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil 01-31-2012 04:57 PM

Hmmm. Maybe they are still trying to figure out how to keep people from dumping WoW for D3? They already have this deal where if you sign up for a year's worth of a WoW subscription they'll give you D3...you know they have to be worried. They don't want to just end up breaking even when the D3 release sales are offset by WoW sub cancellations.

Imon Yourside 03-15-2012 10:07 AM

Release date announced as May 15th.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4612389/Test-3_16_2012

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=4606414

The Franchise 03-15-2012 10:11 AM

Oh shit.

Imon Yourside 03-15-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8456210)
shit just got real.

fixed it! ;)

MTG#10 03-15-2012 10:14 AM

Looks like I'm not going to get anything done this summer...

Frazod 03-15-2012 10:39 AM

It's about goddamn time.

Sofa King 03-15-2012 11:00 AM

I check that ****ing website constantly! I can't believe i didn't even get to announce the release date to cp.

Well ****, better get my preorder in.

Pants 03-15-2012 11:56 AM

Is this out on the xbox?

The Franchise 03-15-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8456683)
Is this out on the xbox?

ROFL

Sofa King 03-15-2012 12:03 PM

Which class will you be?

I think I'm going to start with a wizard.

Then I'll probably try barbarian or demon hunter.

Then monk

than witch doctor.... maybe.

Fish 03-15-2012 12:09 PM

Seems like only yesterday I was a wee lad playing Diablo 2...

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4...mer300x222.jpg