ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games *** Official Diablo III Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=212603)

allen_kcCard 09-21-2011 03:09 PM

What is the pension plan on this Sith guild? My gaming morality is in question.

Pants 09-21-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 7930718)
What is the pension plan on this Sith guild? My gaming morality is in question.

**** that. It's not worth it.

We can still all roll on the same server. I ain't rolling no Sith though.

Sofa King 09-21-2011 03:15 PM

What is this, a ****ing stars wars thread now? Get outta here with that shit!

Mr. Laz 09-21-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7930705)
No, but people can create guilds online, I think. Too bad Saul is a lame ass Sith.

a sith guild on a Diablo server?

Pants 09-21-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 7931007)
a sith guild on a Diablo server?

Laz, you should play TOR with us. :D

Mr. Laz 09-21-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7931027)
Laz, you should play TOR with us. :D

so you can beat me upside the head with your light saber?

:spock:

:D

Sofa King 09-27-2011 08:12 AM

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/3552...9_23_2011#blog

“Soon” Was Too Soon -- Diablo III to Arrive in Early 2012

by Mike Morhaime Sep 23, 2011 5:30 AM PDT 1058
We commonly use the term “soon” when referring to Blizzard releases, because we know that no matter how hard we’re working to reach a target, we’re not going to compromise and launch a game before it’s ready. For Diablo III, we were aiming to launch by the end of 2011. As we’re announcing globally today, our new target for the game is early 2012.

While this news might not be a complete surprise, I know that many of you were hopeful that Diablo III would ship this year. We were too. However, this week we pulled together people from all of the teams involved with the game to decide whether we felt it would be ready before the end of December, and we grudgingly came to the conclusion that it would not. Ultimately, we feel that to deliver an awesome Diablo sequel that lives up to our expectations and yours as well, we should take a little more time and add further polish to a few different elements of the game.

The upside of today’s announcement is that we will be running the beta test longer than we initially planned, which will allow us to invite more of you who have opted in.

For those taking on the Diableard challenge, we salute you -- and now fear for your well-being and personal hygiene. We hereby issue an official reprieve to all Diableard participants, including Blizzard employees, if you want to trim or otherwise manage the lower half of your face. We’d still love to see your beardly achievements, and we look forward to seeing more of your efforts as we move into 2012, but not to the detriment of your workplaces and significant others.

Thank you everyone for your support and anticipation for Diablo III. We’re still moving ahead at full pace, and we’ll be keeping you fully informed of any news and developments here at Diablo3.com, including the specific release date when the time comes, so stay tuned.

-Mike Morhaime

patteeu 09-27-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7927934)
I never got into the Diablo thing. This like WoW?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7928067)
Nah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 7929222)
Negative.

I was wondering the same thing. What are the major differences?

Pants 09-27-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7946767)
I was wondering the same thing. What are the major differences?

Completely different genres.

Diablo is mostly is a single player hack and slash "RPG" (very limited RPG elements). You can play it with up to 3 friends if that's your thing. You play the game over and over and over constantly leveling your character up and getting better loot as you go on.

WoW is a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG (MMORPG). There's a huge persistent world, intricately designed with it's own transportation networks, dungeons, battlegrounds (an organized way to fight the rival faction of players), cities, towns and villages. You have thousands of people exploring/fighting in that world at the same time who you can communicate with in a myriad different chat channels. This will cost you a monthly fee on top of the usual $50 for the game.

patteeu 09-27-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7946805)
Completely different genres. Diablo is mostly is a single player hack and slash "RPG" (very limited RPG elements). You can play it with up to 3 friends if that's your thing.

WoW is a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG (MMORPG). There's a huge persistent world, intricately designed with it's own transportation networks, dungeons, battlegrounds (an organized way to fight the rival faction of players), cities, towns and villages. You have thousands of people exploring/fighting in that world at the same time who you can communicate with in a myriad different chat channels. This will cost you a monthly fee on top of the usual $50 for the game.

I knew most of that, but but the 4 player limit on Diablo multiplayer was something I wasn't aware of. It makes sense though. Thanks.

Is the Diablo game the same whether you play solo or with 4 players? If so, how does it remain balanced?

Pants 09-27-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7946815)
I knew most of that, but but the 4 player limit on Diablo multiplayer was something I wasn't aware of. It makes sense though. Thanks.

Is the Diablo game the same whether you play solo or with 4 players? If so, how does it remain balanced?

It scaled the difficulty up when you added more people in Diablo 2. It was still much easier with a group of people, though. And I guess it was actually 7 people you could play with for a total of 8. My bad.

Sofa King 09-27-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7946835)
It scaled the difficulty up when you added more people in Diablo 2. It was still much easier with a group of people, though. And I guess it was actually 7 people you could play with for a total of 8. My bad.

Diablo 2 was 8. Diablo 3 will be 4 people.

patteeu 09-27-2011 09:53 AM

Thanks guys.

patteeu 09-27-2011 09:58 AM

You can watch Day[9] (Starcraft 2 guy) play the beta as a Witch Doctor here if you're interested:

Part 1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/thGq2G2aGXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

The Franchise 09-27-2011 11:26 AM

I'm definitely picking this up when it comes out.

patteeu 09-27-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7946910)
You can watch Day[9] (Starcraft 2 guy) play the beta as a Witch Doctor here if you're interested:

BTW, Day[9] is a pro gamer who grew up in Leawood, KS (KC suburb). He mentions Kansas in one of these videos when the game lighting turns green (like the sky before a tornado).

Pants 09-27-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7947134)
BTW, Day[9] is a pro gamer who grew up in Leawood, KS (KC suburb). He mentions Kansas in one of these videos when the game lighting turns green (like the sky before a tornado).

Ya, Leawood is nice. Extremely affluent. Are you going to be playing this, patteeu? TOR?

patteeu 09-27-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7947143)
Ya, Leawood is nice. Extremely affluent. Are you going to be playing this, patteeu? TOR?

I think I'll give Diablo a try. I can't afford to get sucked into an MMORPG or my wife would probably divorce me.

Pants 09-27-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7947162)
I think I'll give Diablo a try. I can't afford to get sucked into an MMORPG or my wife would probably divorce me.

Bah! Tell her to get back in the kitchen when she starts mouthing off.

Sofa King 09-29-2011 08:44 AM

Holy crap. I've been playing a little Diablo 2 lately. My god the spammers have ruined that game. Every public game is literally crushed by ****ing spammers. Takes ALOT away from that game.

I can barely see in some games because of the wall of text that gets insta-spammed onto the screen.

Imon Yourside 09-30-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7947162)

Lolz Pat if you haven't played the 1st Diablo(yes i know it's ancient) you should start there. Diablo 2 was WORSE than any MMO for me, it pulls you in and you can't stop, well unless the wife is there with the divorce papers. Diablo 2 is great as well and if you need some help let me know. I still have tons of equipment, non ladder of course. You can also check out D2JSP.org as it's a great trading sight for D2.

You should also check out torchlight, it's mostly the same team that did Diablo 1/2 and plays great as well. No dedicated servers for TL tho.

patteeu 09-30-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 7954483)
Lolz Pat if you haven't played the 1st Diablo(yes i know it's ancient) you should start there. Diablo 2 was WORSE than any MMO for me, it pulls you in and you can't stop, well unless the wife is there with the divorce papers. Diablo 2 is great as well and if you need some help let me know. I still have tons of equipment, non ladder of course. You can also check out D2JSP.org as it's a great trading sight for D2.

You should also check out torchlight, it's mostly the same team that did Diablo 1/2 and plays great as well. No dedicated servers for TL tho.

What's different about Diablo than any other nonMM RPG (like, for example, Neverwinter Nights, which is what that video I posted reminded me of)? Do you not just play your way through the story and eventually reach the end?

Imon Yourside 09-30-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7954516)
What's different about Diablo than any other nonMM RPG (like, for example, Neverwinter Nights, which is what that video I posted reminded me of)? Do you not just play your way through the story and eventually reach the end?

You do play through the story and the end is fairly easy to reach will all the help you'll receive. The Loot and quest for Better loot is what pulls you back in. Crafting and constructing runewords along with the occasional glorious rare item and unique item will keep you coming back, not to mention if you duel you'll want to have better stuff than the guy/gal your dueling. Also note that Diablo is much more action oriented than something like NWN.

Pants 09-30-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7954516)

Diablo isn't really like Neverwinter Nights. Diablo is a repetitive hack and slash with very basic story elements. The main point of the game is to grind for loot. Over and over and over and over and over... You get the point. I personally never found it very addicting.

I knew some guys in high-school who were level 99s, it still blows my mind that someone can play that game so much.

patteeu 09-30-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 7954546)
You do play through the story and the end is fairly easy to reach will all the help you'll receive. The Loot and quest for Better loot is what pulls you back in. Crafting and constructing runewords along with the occasional glorious rare item and unique item will keep you coming back, not to mention if you duel you'll want to have better stuff than the guy/gal your dueling. Also note that Diablo is much more action oriented than something like NWN.

I like the "more action oriented" part.

So you just keep replaying the same story over and over to get better stuff? That doesn't sound all that compelling to me. Am I still missing something?

patteeu 09-30-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7954556)
Diablo isn't really like Neverwinter Nights. Diablo is a repetitive hack and slash with very basic story elements. The main point of the game is to grind for loot. Over and over and over and over and over... You get the point. I personally never found it very addicting.

I knew some guys in high-school who were level 99s, it still blows my mind that someone can play that game so much.

OK, thanks. :thumb:

Sofa King 09-30-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7954556)

Chances are they weren't the ones who got their guys to lvl 99. They used bots. Had to. Otherwise that's 10's of thousands of baal runs.

EDIT: well not 10's of thousands, but a shitload.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=2849748

Imon Yourside 09-30-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7954571)
I like the "more action oriented" part.

So you just keep replaying the same story over and over to get better stuff? That doesn't sound all that compelling to me. Am I still missing something?

It's the old Blizzard style game, and there are so many people STILL playing it 11 years later. It isn't boring at all, it's very fast paced and there are so many builds and random items it will keep you coming back for more.

Imon Yourside 09-30-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 7954579)
Chances are they weren't the ones who got their guys to lvl 99. They used bots. Had to. Otherwise that's 10's of thousands of baal runs.

That what i did the last 4 or 5 years, easy to wake up to sweet items everyday then sell them on d2jsp.org.

Pants 09-30-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 7954579)

Could be.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 08:57 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nlhWqmVeDno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sofa King 10-25-2011 08:58 AM

Lotta really cool shit coming out at Blizzcon for Diablo 3

Sofa King 10-25-2011 09:01 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kLedw4HACNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sofa King 10-25-2011 09:07 AM

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/collectors-edition/

Collector Edition has some cool shit.

I wonder if you buy it, and get those wings, if they are always on your character or not? Or if you can use them on every character etc.

Anyone have any idea? I couldn't find anything on that.

listopencil 10-25-2011 09:09 AM

Well, Blizzard just recently put out info on the next WoW expansion and it looks...horrible. There is a very strong chance I'll be switching to Diablo 3 when it comes out.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8047473)
Well, Blizzard just recently put out info on the next WoW expansion and it looks...horrible. There is a very strong chance I'll be switching to Diablo 3 when it comes out.

I'll add you when i get going on it.

There's a friends list in this one that lets you hop into your friend's game really easily.

That will come in handy.

listopencil 10-25-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8047477)
I'll add you when i get going on it.

There's a friends list in this one that lets you hop into your friend's game really easily.

That will come in handy.

Cool, I use the Real ID feature in WoW and it's handy.

listopencil 10-25-2011 09:29 AM

...although I should warn you that if D3 has guilds, and I end up having to join a guild named "Chiefs Planet", I'm going to name all my toons after Bronco players.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8047519)
...although I should warn you that if D3 has guilds, and I end up having to join a guild named "Chiefs Planet", I'm going to name all my toons after Bronco players.

I will get you banned.

listopencil 10-25-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8047522)
I will get you banned.

I know you want to roll w/ Tebow the Barbarian. Don't hate.

Huffmeister 10-25-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8047519)

Or you could switch over to The Old Republic when it comes out in December. We even already have a guild...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...204523&page=66

listopencil 10-25-2011 09:39 AM

Hmm, one of the cool features of Win7 is that there is a preview pane of other windows you have open, showing animation. I am typing this and checking on my druid, who is waiting on a zeppelin so I can go buy some more pvp gear.

listopencil 10-25-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8047540)
Or you could switch over to The Old Republic when it comes out in December. We even already have a guild...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...204523&page=66

I was looking at that too. I just have this strong feeling that I am going to be savagely disappointed in the next WoW expac.

The Franchise 10-25-2011 09:44 AM

Diablo is still the greatest group of games that I've ever played.

I'll be picking up Diablo 3 the day it comes out.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8047534)
I know you want to roll w/ Tebow the Barbarian. Don't hate.

It better be a female version of the barb. Be funny if you made her a throwing barb, but i'm sure the attack rating would be in the negative.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8047564)

Clan Chiefsplanet!

listopencil 10-25-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8047566)
It better be a female version of the barb. Be funny if you made her a throwing barb, but i'm sure the attack rating would be in the negative.

That would be hilarious. I was thinking more of a tank toon with a few throwing attacks to CC.

Pants 10-25-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8047564)

You're not the first person I've heard this say and it just blows my mind.

The Franchise 10-25-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8047574)
You're not the first person I've heard this say and it just blows my mind.

The game has unlimited replay value. When Diablo 2 came out.....I would go home from work every day and play on my lunch break. I would be up until 3 in the morning playing that game. Almost 10 years later I picked it back up....and got instantly hooked again.

listopencil 10-25-2011 09:50 AM

All right. Imma gonna go q up for some pvp. Chew faces in bear form and whatnot.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8047578)
The game has unlimited replay value. When Diablo 2 came out.....I would go home from work every day and play on my lunch break. I would be up until 3 in the morning playing that game. Almost 10 years later I picked it back up....and got instantly hooked again.

This. I used to do this exact thing.

Pants 10-25-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8047578)

Yeah, it's like a really crappy version of an actual MMO. :D

There's the unlimited loot grind without all the depth. I tried twice. First character (Paladin) I got to like level 42 and then a few years later Got a barbarian up to 35 or so and gave up. Just becomes too repetitive and boring for me after so long.

The Franchise 10-25-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8047582)
Yeah, it's like a really crappy version of an actual MMO. :D

There's the unlimited loot grind without all the depth.

:shake:

Pants 10-25-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8047588)
:shake:

I expounded on it with my edit.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8047590)
I expounded on it with my edit.

Sweet. sounds like you gave up on both characters before they were any good. And no mention of dueling.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 09:56 AM

I played world of warcraft, but i only got my character to level 2 before i gave up.

too repetitive.

The Franchise 10-25-2011 09:56 AM

I tried playing WOW.....and that has to be the most boring game I've ever played.

Pants 10-25-2011 10:01 AM

To each their own. Obviously millions of people agree with you guys as Diablo is super popular. I guess I'm just wired differently from you guys because it honestly gets like reeruned boring for me after a while.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 10:16 AM

You guys watch those videos?

listopencil 10-25-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8047598)
I played world of warcraft, but i only got my character to level 2 before i gave up.

too repetitive.

Holy crap level 2? I gave the game a try and hit level 10 in about 20 or 30 minutes. There is a lot of good and bad about the game though.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8047638)
Holy crap level 2? I gave the game a try and hit level 10 in about 20 or 30 minutes. There is a lot of good and bad about the game though.

I was being sarcastic. Kinda like how Pants said he quit before he even hit 50.

listopencil 10-25-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8047646)

Oh, lol, I missed that. I was doing a bit of pvp.

Pants 10-25-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8047646)

Your analogy was kind of silly, though, as it takes hours and hours and hours to get to 40+ in Diablo II. I'm sorry it takes so long to apparently get to the "really good part".

Sofa King 10-25-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8047659)
Your analogy was kind of silly, though, as it takes hours and hours and hours to get to 40+ in Diablo II. I'm sorry it takes so long to apparently get to the "really good part".

:doh!:

Pants 10-25-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Diablo II is the best game ever
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8047728)

FYP

Sofa King 10-25-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8047741)
FYP

Pants 10-25-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8047763)

Have you tried Torhclight? It's a Diablo II clone with less character development depth. Might hold you over until D3.

whoman69 10-25-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8047815)
Have you tried Torhclight? It's a Diablo II clone with less character development depth. Might hold you over until D3.

There's character development in Diablo?

Pants 10-25-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8049127)
There's character development in Diablo?

Well, you can distribute points in the talent tree as you wish. It's not character development in a storytelling sense, lol.

Sofa King 10-26-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8047815)

I haven't but i just about bought it the other day. But i figured with MW3 coming out i'll probably be all over that pretty hard for awhile.

Sofa King 10-26-2011 10:03 AM

Is torchlight multiplayer or single player?

EDIT: single player.. >_<

listopencil 10-26-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8050351)

Happy Torchlight XBLA Launch Day!
March 9th, 2011
We are thrilled with the response to Torchlight on XBox Live Arcade and are including just some of the wonderful press we’ve received here for you to explore. We hope you love the game, too! Thank you as always for supporting us and playing Torchlight! Read the rest of this entry...

Torchlight Coming to XBLA
January 6th, 2011
We are proud to announce that Torchlight will be coming to Xbox 360 as a part of Microsoft’s House Party promotion in Spring 2011! Read the rest of this entry...

http://www.torchlightgame.com/

listopencil 10-26-2011 11:35 AM

Q: Will I be able to play Torchlight online?

A: Because of the relatively short development window and tiny development team, we decide to focus our efforts on making a complete single-player experience. However, we are already in development of a massively multiplayer action-RPG set in the world of Torchlight for future release.

http://www.torchlightgame.com/faq/#faq16

Mr. Laz 10-26-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8050351)

single > multiplayer

Sofa King 10-26-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8050833)
single > multiplayer

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...ures/Laugh.gif

Mr. Laz 10-26-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8050889)

I'll PIIHB and stop the laughing right off

single player mode you don't have to put up with human beings.

farkin assholes ... the lot

Sofa King 10-26-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8051290)

That's true. But i'd rather kick the shit outta a human than the computer.

kcxiv 10-26-2011 07:40 PM

Never played any diablo game, going to order the battle chest digital download and give it a go, **** it. lol

Frazod 10-26-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8051290)

Agreed. If I want to beat down anonymous idiots on the computer, I do it here. :thumb:

Imon Yourside 10-26-2011 11:11 PM

For anyone interested, the Diablo 2 ladder just reset yesterday.