ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger: Hunt Should Take a Bow for His Moves to Save Chiefs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268517)

DeezNutz 01-05-2013 12:27 AM

Mellinger: Hunt Should Take a Bow for His Moves to Save Chiefs

SOC love in the title. Good stuff:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/04...for-smart.html

DeezNutz 01-05-2013 12:27 AM

Two years of stubborn deterioration gave way to one week of aggressive reconstruction. A once-proud franchise seems to be back on its feet. This is Clark Hunt’s moment, and barring a massive departure from character, he will let others soak up the spotlight.

But if his Chiefs scratch back to respectability, these are the decisions we will remember.

Romeo Crennel, a fine man but overmatched NFL head coach, is gone. Scott Pioli, who became his own worst enemy and created unnecessary adversaries both inside and out of the Chiefs’ offices, is gone. The old restraints are gone.

In place of Crennel comes Andy Reid, the most accomplished coach available unless Jon Gruden changes his mind and returns to the sidelines. It’s a happy time, finally. The New Chiefs are only a few days old now, but it’s hard to think of how Hunt could’ve better handled his most critical moment of running his family’s franchise, and Kansas City’s most cherished institution other than barbecue.

This is Hunt’s finest hour, an undeniable big-boy move to turn the Chiefs into winners. The free jerseys for season ticket-holders were nice, but this goes much further with fans.

He’s not the type, but now would be a fine time for Hunt to bow.

However this ends up, Hunt has now done his honest best to wipe away the worst and most miserable season in Chiefs history with a hope and credibility that’s been missing for some time.

Reid had his issues in Philadelphia with clock management and big games — and just got fired after going 4-12 — but he also helped the Eagles to sustained success with different rosters that most teams would love to emulate.

If Reid helps drive the Chiefs to the Super Bowl, it would fit the pattern of many football men who found bigger success in their second job. Tom Coughlin spent eight years in Jacksonville before winning two Super Bowls with the Giants. Tony Dungy was fired in Tampa Bay before winning a title in Indianapolis. Gruden failed with the Raiders before winning big with the Bucs. Bill Belichick flopped in Cleveland before becoming the most successful coach in recent NFL history.

All told, seven of the last 11 Super Bowl winners were coached by a man in his second job.

Of course, Crennel was also in his head-coaching sequel, so this can all be picked apart. The Pioli hiring looked awfully good in the moment, too, before Hunt’s handpicked GM became obsessed with too many things that had nothing to do with drafting and signing good football players.

Maybe the new general manager will leave personnel success in his old job the same way Pioli left it in New England. Maybe Reid is a burnout. We’ll get those answers soon enough. In the meantime, we can judge how Hunt approached this week, and in that way the man deserves a standing ovation.

The bet with Reid is that he’s a smart man who’s more in need of a change in scenery than a break from the NFL grind. Hunt made that judgment, and after an apparent nine-hour interview a mistake wouldn’t be for lack of diligence.

Mostly, though, today is about a fresh start. Clean board. Even within the Chiefs’ offices, there was some surprise and concern when Pioli wasn’t fired on Monday. Not everyone hated working for him, you might be surprised to know, but wanting to drop the baggage and shush the noise attached to Pioli was a near consensus.

Pioli may very well go on to success at his next job — he’s a smart man, and respected mind — but it was never going to happen in Kansas City. This has been obvious to most everyone in and around the Chiefs organization for a while, and now that a new GM is on the way, a short delay in firing the old one will likely be remembered as nothing more than a footnote.

Whatever the true reasons were for waiting to fire Pioli, the franchise — and just as importantly, its new head coach — can move forward less encumbered by an ugly recent history.

Whether Reid and whomever ends up as the new GM here work out or not, this is what had to be done for the Chiefs to have a chance. No matter how many protest banners fly over the stadium, Kansas City will always love the Chiefs.

Now they can be loved with more hope than anger.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/04...#storylink=cpy

Pitt Gorilla 01-05-2013 12:29 AM

Wait, Hunt should take a bow for trying to hire a decent coach/FO?

Red Dawg 01-05-2013 12:38 AM

YOU THE MAN CLARK! CHIEFS 4 LIFE!

DeezNutz 01-05-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9284055)

Yeah, that's his thesis. FFS.

C-Mac 01-05-2013 12:42 AM

Encore

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268508

memyselfI 01-05-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9284055)

I know, right? Apparently we have become so accustomed to settling and owning the loser label that when someone actually FINALLY DOES THEIR JOB they deserve a parade, a party, banners, and other sorts of accolades.

I don't get it.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-05-2013 07:34 AM

Again? :evil:

Mr. Flopnuts 01-05-2013 07:47 AM

Give me a ****ing break. Anyone who wants to criticize Clark at this point is a ****ing idiot beyond reprieve. He went out 4 years ago and hired THE VERY BEST CANDIDATE AVAILABLE. How was he to know it wouldn't work out? He couldn't possibly. And the second it became apparent that it was a dumpster fire, he sidelined his personal feelings, dumped everyone, and went out and HIRED THE VERY BEST CANDIDATE AVAILABLE. All at great expense to himself, and his family. **** you assholes. Clark Hunt is a GREAT owner.

memyselfI 01-05-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9284397)
Give me a ****ing break. Anyone who wants to criticize Clark at this point is a ****ing idiot beyond reprieve. He went out 4 years ago and hired THE VERY BEST CANDIDATE AVAILABLE. How was he to know it wouldn't work out? He couldn't possibly. And the second it became apparent that it was a dumpster fire, he sidelined his personal feelings, dumped everyone, and went out and HIRED THE VERY BEST CANDIDATE AVAILABLE. All at great expense to himself, and his family. **** you assholes. Clark Hunt is a GREAT owner.

Who is criticizing him? I have not read anyone doing so on this thread?

He made a great hire after addressing a long standing error. Yeah! Yippee! Congrats, Clark! Anything more than that recognition is going overboard, IMO.

I know our standards of success have been depleted in this town but let's not forget that we were filled with the same hope and faith four years ago. Let's enjoy it for what it is a good FIRST STEP.

threebag 01-05-2013 07:53 AM

Well said. Flopnuts

mdchiefsfan 01-05-2013 07:53 AM

:clap:

Mr. Flopnuts 01-05-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9284401)
Who is criticizing him? I have not read anyone doing so on this thread?

He made a great hire after addressing a long standing error. Yeah! Yippee! Congrats, Clark! Anything more than that recognition is going overboard. I know our standards of success have been depleted in this town but let's not forget that we were filled with the same hope and faith four years ago.

Let's enjoy it for what it is a good FIRST STEP.

What more can Clark Hunt do? Why should he not be praised as a great owner for spending the money to fix what's wrong? People insinuating he shouldn't be praised and congratulated are asinine. He spent a ton of money to fix a mistake. And it's money he didn't have to spend. He could've kept Pioli and let him hire another guy, and try to draft a franchise QB. All reports were that was what he wanted to do. But he didn't. Because he recognized that Pioli was a pariah in this league. So he spent the money and not only fixed it, but went straight to work to hire his guy. Jumped in front of Arizona, and spent 9 hours selling the Chiefs to Andy Reid. AFAIC, he's one of, if not the very best owner in this league. I'll be dangling off of Clark's nutsack for at least the next 4-5 years. Happily.

memyselfI 01-05-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9284407)
What more can Clark Hunt do? Why should he not be praised as a great owner for spending the money to fix what's wrong? People insinuating he shouldn't be praised and congratulated are asinine. He spent a ton of money to fix a mistake. And it's money he didn't have to spend. He could've kept Pioli and let him hire another guy, and try to draft a franchise QB. All reports were that was what he wanted to do. But he didn't. Because he recognized that Pioli was a pariah in this league. So he spent the money and not only fixed it, but went straight to work to hire his guy. Jumped in front of Arizona, and spent 9 hours selling the Chiefs to Andy Reid. AFAIC, he's one of, if not the very best owner in this league. I'll be dangling off of Clark's nutsack for at least the next 4-5 years. Happily.

Again, he did a great job removing the cancer and BEGINNING the healing with Reid. He has pledged to become more involved and not just an absentee owner. We have to see how he balances that duty, who he signs off on as GM, how the draft goes for starters.

Throwing money at a problem is not always the way to fix it. Remember the elation of the Pioli signing just four years ago. This place feels very similar though the number of 'wait and seers' seems to be higher for obvious reasons.

One can be thrilled for the hire but not yet ready to throw a party or shower Hunt with accolades for fixing a mess he helped create.

If you were dangling four years ago then Clark's nut sack must be pretty droopy by now.... :D

Mr. Flopnuts 01-05-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9284412)
Again, he did a great job removing the cancer and BEGINNING the healing with Reid. He has pledged to become more involved and not just an absentee own signs of on as GM, how the draft goes for starters.

Remember the elation of the Pioli signing just four years ago. This place feels very similar though the number of 'wait and seers' seems to be higher for obvious reasons.

One can be thrilled for the hire but not yet ready to throw a party or shower Hunt with accolades for fixing a mess he helped create.

How did he help create it? How? The guy is not, and should not, be Jerry ****ing Jones. He hired someone whom he, and many others around the league, thought was qualified to run football operations, and then stayed the **** out of the way. Like he's supposed too.

It didn't work out, and he's doing it again, only this time with a coach instead of a GM. Do you think he should decide who to draft? Maybe he should hold polls and let the fans decide?

He's doing EVERYTHING he's supposed to do, and no more. As far as the wait and see'ers go, well, everyone's earned the right. But Clark Hunt is NOT the problem. He's a Goddamned saint as far as I'm concerned. Because he clearly gives a shit about football.

dannybcaitlyn 01-05-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Totally Agree! Clark deserves alot of credit. He went aggressively after a proven coach. He could have sat at his desk and waited for the interview to happen in KC but Charted a plane and went after his prize. Bravo!

memyselfI 01-05-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9284415)
How did he help create it? How? The guy is not, and should not, be Jerry ****ing Jones. He hired someone whom he, and many others around the league, thought was qualified to run football operations, and then stayed the **** out of the way. Like he's supposed too.

It didn't work out, and he's doing it again, only this time with a coach instead of a GM. Do you think he should decide who to draft? Maybe he should hold polls and let the fans decide?

He's doing EVERYTHING he's supposed to do, and no more. As far as the wait and see'ers go, well, everyone's earned the right. But Clark Hunt is NOT the problem. He's a Goddamned saint as far as I'm concerned. Because he clearly gives a shit about football.

By throwing money at the problem and then walking away until it was obvious the situation was hitting him in the pocket book.

Look, Pioli and Crennel would both still be here if the Chiefs were mediocre and still selling out. That is a FACT. It would be seen as progress and both would be given extensions not pink slips.

So while some want to bestow saint status on Clark others have been here/done that and are happy to wait and see how things go before we take Clark completely out of the dog house.

milkman 01-05-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybcaitlyn (Post 9284419)
Totally Agree! Clark deserves alot of credit. He went aggressively after a proven coach. He could have sat at his desk and waited for the interview to happen in KC but Charted a plane and went after his prize. Bravo!

Why?

Is his personal jet in the shop or something?

Mr. Flopnuts 01-05-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9284421)
By throwing money at the problem and then walking away until it was obvious the situation was hitting him in the pocket book.

Look, Pioli and Crennel would both still be here if the Chiefs were mediocre and still selling out. That would be seen as progress and both would be given extensions not pink slips.

You're speculating on what might have happened. There is no proof to back that up. None. I choose to be optimistic.

Micjones 01-05-2013 08:07 AM

I think Hunt should be applauded for the way he went about hiring Reid.
That, in my mind, is laudable.

dannybcaitlyn 01-05-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9284422)
Why?

Is his personal jet in the shop or something?

**** YOU MILK. LOL

memyselfI 01-05-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9284423)
You're speculating on what might have happened. There is no proof to back that up. None. I choose to be optimistic.

Seriously? How long have you been a Chiefs fan or follower? Their ENTIRE HISTORY is based on the 'success=sellouts+mediocrity is fine' formula.

I'm optimistic too. I was saying to everyone at work on Sunday that Reid would coach here and it was a good fit for him. He was the best option of the available choices willing to come here.

The fact that he actually did it doesn't make me want to dangle from Clark's nut sack.

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

ROFL you must be kidding

milkman 01-05-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

I agree.

We don't yet have any idea what Clark Hunt is willing to accept, or demands, for the performance of his team.

lewdog 01-05-2013 08:11 AM

Well you can't call Clark cheap anymore but you also can't say he knows more about football either.

0 Playoff wins still resides on his resume. I will hold my praise until that happens.

KCUnited 01-05-2013 08:12 AM

The Reid hire is a step in the right direction, but I'm mostly impressed by Clark admitting his mistake and dropping a shit ton of coin to clean house. As someone who is a fan of both teams in the parking lot, constantly hearing about the OH NOES THA MONEYYY! taxes me as a fan literally and figuratively. What it cost Clark to fumigate Arrowhead and what it's going to cost to restaff it does not go unnoticed by me.

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 08:13 AM

48 - 80, zero playoff wins, zero championships. that is Clark's legacy. Hardly good, not even great.

memyselfI 01-05-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9284436)
Well you can't call Clark cheap anymore but you also can't say he knows more about football either.

0 Playoff wins still resides on his resume. I will hold my praise until that happens.

I don't think it's so much about what Clark knows as it is about what the FAMILY considers is success. They've been very happy to settle with sold out stadiums and less than stellar performance on the field.

It was only after the stadium stated becoming increasingly empty and Chiefs merchandise would not sell even at 75% off did they begin to move mountains at a faster than glacial pace.

dannybcaitlyn 01-05-2013 08:16 AM

Nonetheless he deserves a pat on the back. We have our coach and already assembling the staff this early, unlike when we did the Haley hire.

WhiteWhale 01-05-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9284441)
48 - 80, zero playoff wins, zero championships. that is Clark's legacy. Hardly good, not even great.

I'm not going to put Herm and Carl's tenure on Clark. He was letting his old man's plan follow through, and acted quickly when it failed.

memyselfI 01-05-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9284438)
The Reid hire is a step in the right direction, but I'm mostly impressed by Clark admitting his mistake and dropping a shit ton of coin to clean house. As someone who is a fan of both teams in the parking lot, constantly hearing about the OH NOES THA MONEYYY! taxes me as a fan literally and figuratively. What it cost Clark to fumigate Arrowhead and what it's going to cost to restaff it does not go unnoticed by me.

So we go from being pissed off as hell at a guy who was nearly 26.6 million below salary cap to elated and nut sack dangling because he dropped a cool few million to get rid of a problem he helped create?

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 08:18 AM

FTR I never referred Clark or the Hunt's as "cheap". Only stupid. as in poor choices in spending and allowing an organization to run amok with each new "staff of hope".

Until this ownership actually puts in the effort to win, it won't happen but sporadically.

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9284448)
I'm not going to put Herm and Carl's tenure on Clark. He was letting his old man's plan follow through, and acted quickly when it failed.

Fine, but Clark has been CEO since 2005 -- before Herm ever showed up and years before Carl completely clowned this franchise.

memyselfI 01-05-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybcaitlyn (Post 9284447)
Nonetheless he deserves a pat on the back. We have our coach and already assembling the staff this early, unlike when we did the Haley hire.

This is true. You can't say he dragged his heels on this one. And, to be fair, I sort of understand and forgive him for doing so on his previous occasion. His father was not there to consult or to advise. He was on his own for that one and perhaps a bit gun shy. I think he learned his lesson and hopefully will be more proactive on all major decisions in the future.

WhiteWhale 01-05-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

I want to make a correction.

I'm not convinced Hunt did the research on either Pioli or Reid.

I think he went out and signed the biggest name he could. That's as much about optics as it is about results. The best guy isn't always the biggest name.

I've defended Clark from the beginning. Most of the criticisms levied against him don't hold water unless they want an Al Davis/Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones owner pretending to be a GM. I sure as hell don't.

WhiteWhale 01-05-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9284452)
Fine, but Clark has been CEO since 2005 -- before Herm ever showed up and years before Carl completely clowned this franchise.

That's fair enough.

I do not know how active or token his role was at that point. I really doubt Clark, as CEO in 2005, could have just fired Peterson if he wanted to.

I'm saying the track record of EFFORT is there. The track record of success is not. The major criticism against him, that he doesn't care... would rather play soccer, are all bullshit.

Almost every decision he's made has been wrong, but they haven't been cheap.

FAX 01-05-2013 08:26 AM

Haters are going to hate, the hateful little bitches.

Clark is emerging as a pretty interesting guy, actually. It appears he is willing to spend enormous amounts of money in exchange for a good night's sleep knowing that the franchise is in good hands. No meddler, he.

I have always heard that Clark was "competitive". Almost everyone who knows him personally and speaks to the media about him eventually uses that adjective. So far as I am concerned, Clark's actions over the past few days speak to his desire to field a competitive team and I believe him to be a person who wants to win. He also must have a slight streak of "totally malicious vindictive asshole" in him, because castrating Dr. Evil in public then hauling him around as part of the HCIS (head coach interview squad) was kinda mean (although in retrospect, I really like it).

Difficult to read. Competitive. Wealthy and willing to spend cash. Doesn't meddle. Mean as hell.

The perfect owner.

You go, Clark!

FAX

memyselfI 01-05-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9284462)
That's fair enough.

I do not know how active or token his role was at that point. I really doubt Clark, as CEO in 2005, could have just fired Peterson if he wanted to.

I'm saying the track record of EFFORT is there. The track record of success is not. The major criticism against him, that he doesn't care... would rather play soccer, are all bullshit.

Except for a small but not insignificant 26.6 million of salary cap..:hmmm:

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9284462)
That's fair enough.

the major complaint (and compliment, it seems) is that Clark Hunt has managed to pull out million$ in in annual profits while the team avg's 6 - 10 each season.

The problem with this organization has long been accountability. There seems to be a parallel universe in this fanbase -- some folks think the Hunt's are just peachy keen for being great businessmen while others hate the fact they have paid in so much for so little.

FAX 01-05-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

I realize that you are now an all-powerful Mod and, as such, answer to no power on Earth, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts, but would you please resist the urge to quote that individual? I use the ignore feature sparingly and only have two people on it, but what's the freaking use when the freaking mods quote her???????!!!!??????

Er ... thank you in advance for your consideration.

FAX

memyselfI 01-05-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9284474)
I realize that you are now an all-powerful Mod and, as such, answer to no power on Earth, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts, but would you please resist the urge to quote that individual? I use the ignore feature sparingly and only have two people on it, but what's the freaking use when the freaking mods quote her???????!!!!??????

FAX

Translation: I can't seem to figure out how to use the scroll button. LMAO

BigRock 01-05-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9284468)

Which has absolutely nothing to do with how much a team is spending, as evident by the fact that the Chiefs spent the 3rd most money in the league in 2012.

WhiteWhale 01-05-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry you don't understand how the cap works with salaries and bonuses. It's not as tied to money paid out as you may think.

Dave Lane 01-05-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Oh look I just saw Rich Gannon, he went thata way ------>

Right to a raiders board, see ya!

memyselfI 01-05-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 9284489)
Which has absolutely nothing to do with how much a team is spending, as evident by the fact that the Chiefs spent the 3rd most money in the league in 2012.

Which I believe goes back to Pioli and his dereliction of duty.

Dave Lane 01-05-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

FAX

Sorry Mr. Fax I too have failed you.

Coogs 01-05-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9284465)

Clark is emerging as a pretty interesting guy, actually. It appears he is willing to spend enormous amounts of money in exchange for a good night's sleep knowing that the franchise is in good hands. No meddler, he.

I have always heard that Clark was "competitive". Almost everyone who knows him personally and speaks to the media about him eventually uses that adjective. So far as I am concerned, Clark's actions over the past few days speak to his desire to field a competitive team and I believe him to be a person who wants to win. He also must have a slight streak of "totally malicious vindictive asshole" in him, because castrating Dr. Evil in public then hauling him around as part of the HCIS (head coach interview squad) was kinda mean (although in retrospect, I really like it).

Difficult to read. Competitive. Wealthy and willing to spend cash. Doesn't meddle. Mean as hell.

The perfect owner.

You go, Clark!

FAX

Time will tell, but I sort of believe Pioli is going to be the guy who turned Clark into the owner we all want him to be. I think Pioli was one expensive... but necessary... lesson that Clark needed to learn.

memyselfI 01-05-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9284472)
the major complaint (and compliment, it seems) is that Clark Hunt has managed to pull out million$ in in annual profits while the team avg's 6 - 10 each season.

The problem with this organization has long been accountability. There seems to be a parallel universe in this fanbase -- some folks think the Hunt's are just peachy keen for being great businessmen while others hate the fact they have paid in so much for so little.

And some, like myself, see how they have managed and mismanaged their other teams and see that there is a pattern. If they are making money or, not bleeding it, the status quo (no matter how miserable) is cool beans and if they aren't then things seem to get done.

Rasputin 01-05-2013 08:57 AM

Even if Andy Reid turns out to be a bad hire after several years. I admire Clark Hunt as a man who cares about the Chiefs and the fans. He gets an A+ for effort. He went out of his way to get the best coach he sees fit to lead the Chiefs got the kind of coach he said he wanted to get. Clark Hunt took action as soon as the season was over when he could do something about it.

FAX 01-05-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9284502)
Time will tell, but I sort of believe Pioli is going to be the guy who turned Clark into the owner we all want him to be. I think Pioli was one expensive... but necessary... lesson that Clark needed to learn.

There's probably a great amount of truth to that, Mr. Coogs. Dr. Evil was a major swing and a miss for Clark. Major.

As for Reid, I think I might have gone another way with the hire, but I can definitely understand why Clark made that choice. This franchise is completely screwed up at this juncture. Everywhere you look, there's dysfunction and abject failure. There's no pride, no confidence, and no quarterback. Reid brings with him the ability to change that and, if he hits on the QB, pretty successfully, too.

But, if nothing else, Clark has completely dispelled the myth that he is cheap and uncaring ... nobody, other than the true knuckleheads, can claim that any longer.

FAX

InChiefsHeaven 01-05-2013 08:58 AM

I'm not a big fan of simply applauding effort. I'm a results oriented person. Having said that, Clark is a relatively young owner, who seems to be learning as he goes and willing to make changes which is tantamount to admitting his mistakes. That makes him bold and humble in my book.

Will Reid work out? I'd say the odds are quite good actually. He's proven, and struggled the last couple of seasons in a city where the hatred makes the SOC movement look tame. He needs a change of scenery IMO, and he'll get great scenery here in KC. The Chiefs needed a bold move, and Clark delivered again. He gets an "A" for effort, and there's a lot to be said for that. Now we must watch what happens. Clark should get kudos for this move, and he gets plenty from me. He certainly could have made a "safer" move, but this shit is bold. The cost in money and credibility hang in the balance, and Clark cares not. That is a fine owner right there. I'm very optimistic, but I gotta see results.

This is a great day to be a Chiefs fan though. Bring on the draft. WE AT LEAST HAVE HOPE AGAIN! GO CHIEFS!!

milkman 01-05-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

FAX

I'm not going to quote the useless bitch, just for you Mr. Fax.

Rasputin 01-05-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9284465)

The perfect owner.

You go, Clark!

FAX

I bet he stayed at a Holliday INN on his viset to Philadelphia.

okcchief 01-05-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

I had my doubts when he didn't fire Pioli on Monday. He ate a lot of money to get the fanbase back. Whether you like the hire or not Clark can't be criticized much.

unlurking 01-05-2013 09:11 AM

Call me a "true fan", but I think Clark just scored a touchdown with Reid & Co. I'm gonna stand up and cheer.

FAX 01-05-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9284523)
I had my doubts when he didn't fire Pioli on Monday. He ate a lot of money to get the fanbase back. Whether you like the hire or not Clark can't be criticized much.

I've mentioned this before, but to me the most intriguing thing Clark said during the 2013 Dr. Evil Castration Media Tour was in response to a question about Clark's reputation (or perception, really) as a cheapskate.

Clark said this (and I paraphrase as best I can); "We had the 3rd highest cash payroll in the league last year. But, based on the results on the field, that isn't something I'm very proud of."

That, my friend, is an ass-kicking statement from your owner. And, frankly, I'm surprised it didn't get more traction around the city. He's saying he'll spend money but he expects something in return and gets pissed off when he's basically taken for a fool.

Then, of course, because no one else seems to be able to do so, he proceeds to take it upon himself to fix the problem.

There's more to Clark than meets the eye. We should be damn happy to have him.

FAX

Pasta Little Brioni 01-05-2013 09:15 AM

FAX who did you have in mind as Head Coach?

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9284441)

mor(e)on Clark's Legacy;

2012= last place AFCW
2011= last place AFCW
2010= 1st place AFCW
2009= last place AFCW
2008= last place AFCW
2007= last place AFCW
2006= 2nd place AFCW
2005= 2nd place AFCW

Take a bow?

That could be the worst 8 - season - beginning for any NFL owner.

BlackHelicopters 01-05-2013 09:22 AM

Taking a bow for doing his job? Will wait for results.

FAX 01-05-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9284535)
FAX who did you have in mind as Head Coach?

I had just begun my research when all hell broke loose and we hired the Odobenus Rosmarus.

But I was thinking along the lines of an up-and-coming assistant somewhere. Someone young. Someone full of good ideas and lots of energy. Someone hungry. Someone who hadn't already been beaten to hell and gone by the trials and tribulations of life and football. A Todd Haley type, actually. Or a 15 years ago Andy Reid.

Such a person would be unproven, though, and that's not what Clark wants. I imagine he wants someone with sufficient gravitas to quite down the hoards and demand respect from the players. He found that in Reid ... no question.

FAX

memyselfI 01-05-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9284512)
Even if Andy Reid turns out to be a bad hire after several years. I admire Clark Hunt as a man who cares about the Chiefs and the fans. He gets an A+ for effort. He went out of his way to get the best coach he sees fit to lead the Chiefs got the kind of coach he said he wanted to get. Clark Hunt took action as soon as the season was over when he could do something about it.

This is what I think is the best thing Clark did with a bad situation. He secured one of the top coaching candidates shortly after he became available. He put KC back on the map as a top destination even with Chicago and San Diego sitting on the board and considered two of the most attractive job openings. I eat crow on that one and I think he's done a great deal to rehab the image of KC not being a desirable destination at this time.

So once again, kudos! Great first step!!!!

Pasta Little Brioni 01-05-2013 09:31 AM

I think it's a homerun hire. He'll get more out of our "Pro Bowlers" and prove that there really is talent on this team. Goota love having the number one pick, worthy QB's available, and a QB guru to size up the situation and pick the right one.

mlyonsd 01-05-2013 09:33 AM

Clark took lots of heat here during the Pioli regime as being too hands off. He addressed that and now appears to want to take a more active role.

Then he goes out and hires Reid, who from what I understand wants free reign to do things he wants. I read an article that Reid was fired by the eagles in part because he was too quick to change things around looking for things that worked. That's exactly what we've been screaming about here for at least 3 years.

I wonder how Clark and Reid will mesh, but as a fan I'm glad he went out and made a move.

Hopefully a change of scenery is what Reid needs to get back to his earlier success. Who he picks for coaches will be a very important part.

We really can't get much worse than we were so today it's good to be a chief fan. The draft can't come quick enough.

SAUTO 01-05-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9284407)

This. **** the stupid bitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 01-05-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9284533)
I've mentioned this before, but to me the most intriguing thing Clark said during the 2013 Dr. Evil Castration Media Tour was in response to a question about Clark's reputation (or perception, really) as a cheapskate.

Clark said this (and I paraphrase as best I can); "We had the 3rd highest cash payroll in the league last year. But, based on the results on the field, that isn't something I'm very proud of."

That, my friend, is an ass-kicking statement from your owner. And, frankly, I'm surprised it didn't get more traction around the city. He's saying he'll spend money but he expects something in return and gets pissed off when he's basically taken for a fool.

Then, of course, because no one else seems to be able to do so, he proceeds to take it upon himself to fix the problem.

There's more to Clark than meets the eye. We should be damn happy to have him.

FAX

another home run fax
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman 01-05-2013 10:25 AM

The perception that Clark Hunt is cheap has always been a false percetion.

The man paid a shit ton of money for the (widely considered) best GM candidate on the market in '09, and spent money on a staff that included two of the most proven coordinators in the league during Pioli's tenure.

Now he's throwing money in the shitter to rid this franchise of the shit stain GM, and bringing in another high profile hire to run things.

I am not sold that Reid is the right guy, but I give props to Hunt for making an all out effort to fix things.

scho63 01-05-2013 10:36 AM

This line gave me a boner!!!

All told, seven of the last 11 Super Bowl winners were coached by a man in his second job.

:whackit:

Mile High Mania 01-05-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 9284725)
This line gave me a boner!!!

:whackit:

But, I think most of those 7 failed miserably with short tenures in their first HC roles.

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 11:26 AM

No doubt, Clark hedged all bets with this hire. But then, the same can be said of the Pioli hire, and therein lie the workings of failure for the Chiefs. I'm just as hopeful as the next guy this team is going to finally build steam under Andy Reid & co -- like most of you I expect as much, but I do not reward bad behavior.

Clark needs to get his shit in line and stop treating the Chiefs like an investment that can never go wrong -- which, for Clark is completely true by virtue of the NFL Corporation's revenue structure combined with his father's initial meager investment into the team.

But for the sake of fans who have endeared decades of embarrassing performances, these policies & truths have all but provided a counter productive outcome throughout the team's existence and Clark is the only person charged with the responsibility & authority to change this.

Pitt Gorilla 01-05-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

i certainly wasn't criticizing him, as I think he did the right thing. I'm just not sure such an action warrants a bow/victory lap prior to some actual results.

TEX 01-05-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9284797)
But, I think most of those 7 failed miserably with short tenures in their first HC roles.

Lets visit this for a moment...Gruden, Dungey, Vermeil, Tom C, is a majority and they were all successful with their first team. Even the Hoody himself had some success in cleveland, ironically less than the others. So, id say your satement is false without digging too deep on the subject.

htismaqe 01-05-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9284811)
No doubt, Clark hedged all bets with this hire. But then, the same can be said of the Pioli hire, and therein lie the workings of failure for the Chiefs. I'm just as hopeful as the next guy this team is going to finally build steam under Andy Reid & co -- like most of you I expect as much, but I do not reward bad behavior.

Clark needs to get his shit in line and stop treating the Chiefs like an investment that can never go wrong -- which, for Clark is completely true by virtue of the NFL Corporation's revenue structure combined with his father's initial meager investment into the team.

But for the sake of fans who have endeared decades of embarrassing performances, these policies & truths have all but provided a counter productive outcome throughout the team's existence and Clark is the only person charged with the responsibility & authority to change this.

Still bitching about Clark huh?

htismaqe 01-05-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9284822)
Lets visit this for a moment...Gruden, Dungey, Vermeil, Tom C, is a majority and they were all successful with their first team. Even the Hoody himself had some success in cleveland, ironically less than the others. So, id say your satement is false without digging too deep on the subject.

Gruden's first stint was pretty short.

Reid's situation is pretty similar to Dungy, Vermeil, and Coughlin though, which bodes well.

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9284824)
Still bitching about Clark huh?

still in denial this team has for decades, fostered a perpetual bitchfest, huh :D

Chris Meck 01-05-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9284702)
The perception that Clark Hunt is cheap has always been a false percetion.

The man paid a shit ton of money for the (widely considered) best GM candidate on the market in '09, and spent money on a staff that included two of the most proven coordinators in the league during Pioli's tenure.

Now he's throwing money in the shitter to rid this franchise of the shit stain GM, and bringing in another high profile hire to run things.

I am not sold that Reid is the right guy, but I give props to Hunt for making an all out effort to fix things.

THIS. Enough about the 'Cheaps'. I think you're wrong ultimately on Reid, but I always appreciate your takes, Milkman.

memyselfI 01-05-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9284811)

I get this. Wanting to give credit where it's due, like a good hire done quickly and firsties while still remembering how this organization has a long and sordid history of screwing up. Sheesh, they didn't have their implosion in a year where they'd be assured of a top tier QB...a position they sorely need and they have the first draft pick. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

SAUTO 01-05-2013 11:59 AM

Yeah they should have PLANNED an implosion.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman 01-05-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9284898)
I get this. Wanting to give credit where it's due, like a good hire done quickly and firsties while still remembering how this organization has a long and sordid history of screwing up. Sheesh, they didn't have their implosion in a year where they'd be assured of a top tier QB...a position they sorely need and they have the first draft pick. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Just go away **** (that rhymes with hunt).

I mean that with all the disrespect I can muster.

memyselfI 01-05-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9284912)
Yeah they should have PLANNED an implosion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well they weren't much better last year, were they? Record wise, yes but as a whole. I wasn't on the 'suck for Luck' bandwagon but in retrospect tanking last season vs. this one may have been the better plan...or better luck.