ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports International Olympic Committee Cuts Wrestling from 2020 Olympics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269954)

GloryDayz 02-12-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefaholic (Post 9398532)
Coming from a former high school wrestler, this pisses me off. Those of you who are lame ass b**ches who call the sport boring have no ****ing clue how much work and dedication wrestling takes. To watch it and understand it keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire match. This is a sport where one guy can totally destroy his opponent the majority of the match and lose with just one simple screw up. Dominant wrestlers have to have speed, strength, agility, quick actions and reactions, and YEARS of training to have a minute chance of achieving an opportunity to make the Olympics. But nooooo.... Let's pass up tradition and more passionate fans than many of the other lame ass reasons NOT to watch the Olympics.

Well said. I coach it now, and both wrestled and played football "back in the day." Not that difficulty equates to a reason for the Olympics to have a sport (or they'd have a treadmill running event!!!), but it flat blows that these paid-off assholes would cut a sport that's actually done worldwide... i don't care if it's folk vs Greco vs freestyle, it's just wrestling. Still the most awesome sport in the world. And as much as I always loved it, words can't describe the rush I'd get watching my son.

Rain Man 02-12-2013 10:46 PM

Based on the article, it sounds like wrestling can get back in, but it has to compete with other iconic sports like wakeboarding, roller sports, and wushu. Wushu?

No wonder civilization is collapsing around our ears.

rico 02-12-2013 11:01 PM

I am speechless. Incredibly pissed off that this is even a mere consideration, let alone looking to actually unravel.

**** the Olympics. I am never watching them again. Seriously, **** **** them and anyone who thinks this is a good idea.

listopencil 02-13-2013 03:19 AM

It's because Pope Benedict 16 is stepping down. Apparently it was his favorite amateur sport.

Tribal Warfare 02-13-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9396259)
Hard to believe they cut this over Equestrian?? Does the horse get the medal or the rider?

speed walking too

CoMoChief 02-13-2013 04:01 AM

So you take away the oldest and most original sport in the Olympics?

Good Job....almost as good as the Rio decision.

Wonder though if they get rid of boxing and open the door for MMA

alnorth 02-13-2013 10:51 AM

The Olympic committee for the Russian Federation has decided to formally appeal the decision to the full IOC. At the same time, the president of the IOC has also scheduled a meeting with the governing body of wrestling, and IOC officials are now starting to suggest that perhaps they might recommend 3 sports out of 7 to be included with the 25 core sports, not just 1.

I'm not surprised in the least, as I expected they are catching holy hell for this decision, and now they are trying to figure out a face-saving solution to this self-inflicted problem.

edit: the government of India also announced that they are going to do whatever they can to keep wrestling.

Rausch 02-13-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9398963)
So you take away the oldest and most original sport in the Olympics?

Good Job....almost as good as the Rio decision.

Wonder though if they get rid of boxing and open the door for MMA

Kenny Monday will be on a rampage next...

Chief_For_Life58 02-13-2013 10:57 AM

how the hell do you cut wrestling from the olympics? Its the oldest sport in the world next to running. Outrageous

Rausch 02-13-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9399479)
how the hell do you cut wrestling from the olympics? Its the oldest sport in the world next to running. Outrageous

Running - a small part of the training necessary to wrestle...

alnorth 02-13-2013 11:02 AM

Even though it now looks clear that wrestling will be saved, it still boggles the mind that we're even talking about this.

If we want to put in a lot of made-up sports to fill out the program, fine but we always have to have the primal things: people run, people jump, people throw things, people swim, and people fight.

Out of all the combat sports, wrestling is probably the most pure and honorable, in that no one is actually trying to hurt their opponent. In the other combat sports, you are trying to hurt your opponent, and we put in equipment and safety things so that you hopefully are unable to do it even though you try.

-King- 02-13-2013 11:20 AM

As long as I cut speed walking, I'm fine with it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fsl53ft0byo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ghak99 02-13-2013 11:50 AM

I never wrestled and am not what I would call a fan, but I respect the sport for what it is.

I find it incredibly ****ing reeruned that they would even consider removing wrestling from the Olympics.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-13-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9399500)
Even though it now looks clear that wrestling will be saved

Link?

houstonwhodat 02-13-2013 12:06 PM

Roddy White calls IOC “reeruns” for dropping wrestling

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ing-wrestling/