ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2012-2013 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265263)

Silock 02-06-2013 10:58 PM

Horrible loss.

But, we can still win the league. We won't miss the tournament. We still have Bill mothereffing Self. Streaks end, but they also begin again.

Saturday is another game.

Keep Calm and Rock Chalk the **** On, folks.

KC_Connection 02-06-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9384040)
Agree...seeding doesn't matter to me as much as winning a 9th consecutive B12 championship.

Not much breathing room at the top now. I originally thought we would be "ok" after Saturday's loss. I was anticipating the next few games before dropping one in Ames. I did not account for this [obviously] and after these last two performances, I do not know how you could be confident going into Oklahoma. I am still not worried about KSU...but I am still expecting a loss in Ames.

The next month is going to be exciting...

If KU wins all 5 of their remaining home games (KSU and four bad teams in UT, WVU, TTU, TCU) and pick up a road win along the way, they still likely win the conference outright. There are no guarantees anymore until this team starts giving a damn, though.

RustShack 02-06-2013 10:59 PM

Iowa State should have been in second already, but after this loss we have a shot at winning the conference still! Damn lucky bank 3s from Kansas AND Oklahoma St.

But I feel the pain, we lost to a shitty Tech team this year.

Imon Yourside 02-06-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9384047)
Horrible loss.

But, we can still win the league. We won't miss the tournament. We still have Bill mothereffing Self. Streaks end, but they also begin again.

and please find some OFFENSE!!

TLO 02-06-2013 11:02 PM

You know you're spoiled as a Kansas fan when it's been 7 years since back to back losses.

Still... this really, really sucks. Self should have these guys back on track soon though. At least I hope.

KC_Connection 02-06-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9384047)
Horrible loss.

The people that hate on Bill Self at times like this are the worst kind of people and I'm seeing a lot of it right now. Some truly don't know how good they have it with him.

KC_Connection 02-06-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384050)
Iowa State should have been in second already, but after this loss we have a shot at winning the conference still! Damn lucky bank 3s from Kansas AND Oklahoma St.

But I feel the pain, we lost to a shitty Tech team this year.

I laughed at that at the time, but this loss is actually worse than that one (and that ISU one was pretty bad). So feel free to laugh.

RustShack 02-06-2013 11:09 PM

@jppalmCBS: @SethDavisHoops In terms of RPI difference between the teams, TCU's win is the biggest upset in the 20 years I've been tracking numbers.

Ceej 02-06-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384066)
@jppalmCBS: @SethDavisHoops In terms of RPI difference between the teams, TCU's win is the biggest upset in the 20 years I've been tracking numbers.

Oh GOD.

Now ISU fans are making appearances.

**** me.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-06-2013 11:11 PM

Eric Prisbell ‏@EricPrisbell
Bill Self just told me emphatically, "That was the worst team Kansas has ever put on the floor."

Chiefs Pantalones 02-06-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9384056)
The people that hate on Bill Self at times like this are the worst kind of people and I'm seeing a lot of it right now. Some truly don't know how good they have it with him.

He has his work cut out for him now though. I haven't seen us play this shitty in a long time in back to back weeks. The players' attitudes are shit too you can tell by their body language. Something just isn't right. Hope the players aren't tuning him out.

KcMizzou 02-06-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9384069)
Oh GOD.

**** me.

That's Rustshack. He's the only fan. But, he's persistent.

Chiefs Pantalones 02-06-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9384069)
Oh GOD.

**** me.

LMAO The lesser basketball world smiles when the Blue Bloods lose. It's all good, it comes with being elite. "The smiles won't win them our titles." :)

Imon Yourside 02-06-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9384073)

I'm not sure he's a true clone, haven't heard him BOO once.

KC_Connection 02-06-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384066)

It may in fact be the biggest upset in KU history. TCU is a god awful team...that can't be stated enough.

Silock 02-06-2013 11:16 PM

Well, some loss has to be the worst one.

But, I still think we're going to turn it around.

RustShack 02-06-2013 11:16 PM

Iowa State has a legit shot at winning the conference... Even if their record doesn't reflect it they are at least the second best team in the Big12 this year.

KC_Connection 02-06-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9384072)
He has his work cut out for him now though. I haven't seen us play this shitty in a long time in back to back weeks. The players' attitudes are shit too you can tell by their body language. Something just isn't right. Hope the players aren't tuning him out.

To me, it's still a matter of caring/giving a full effort. That's on the players themselves. He can only challenge them so many times. Even Withey, the rock of this team, was sleepwalking out there today. There wasn't any real urgency until there was like 10 minutes left in the game and by that time it was too late.

Imon Yourside 02-06-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384082)
Iowa State has a legit shot at winning the conference... Even if their record doesn't reflect it they are at least the second best team in the Big12 this year.

BOO!

RustShack 02-06-2013 11:20 PM

King has been on the ISU bandwagon basically all year - putting us at number 2 in the conference power ranking early on. Here he talks about ISU in his "Thoughts From Press Row":

Pressure takes its toll on bubble teams - college basketball - ESPN

3. Iowa State appears poised for a strong second-half surge. The Cyclones have won three of their past four games -- all of which came against some of the Big 12's best teams. They beat Kansas State (by six points), Baylor (eight) and Oklahoma (19) in Ames, Iowa, and lost to Oklahoma State 78-76 in Stillwater, Okla.
Iowa State is 16-6 overall and 6-3 in the Big 12.
[+] EnlargeReese Strickland/USA TODAY Sports Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg is pleased to see the progress and growth of his team.

"I've really been pleased with the growth of our team," Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg told ESPN.com after Monday's win over Oklahoma. "If you look at where we are right now, we're in a pretty good position. We lost to Kansas on a banked 3 and to Oklahoma State when things didn't go our way down the stretch. But we're playing really good basketball right now. I really like our guys' focus and effort."
Iowa State touts one of the top offensive attacks in college basketball. The Cyclones' 78.5 points per game ranks 12th in the nation. In Monday's win over Oklahoma, six players made 3-pointers in the first nine minutes.
Even more impressive is that Iowa State ranks 15th in the country in rebounding. Power forward Melvin Ejim -- who averages a Big 12-best 9.4 boards per contest -- is just 6-foot-6. And center Georges Niang is only 6-7.
"Melvin is a tenacious rebounder," Hoiberg said. "He goes after it every time. We want our 3, 4 and 5 guys crashing the offensive glass. Melvin is the one that does it every single possession.
"Georges is a strong rebounder. He doesn't have great lift, but he wedges guys out. He uses his body and does a good job of getting to the boards. [Small forward] Will Clyburn can get you eight a game too. That helps.
"We feel like if we can control the glass, we can beat anybody."

Imon Yourside 02-06-2013 11:20 PM

Eric Prisbell ‏ @ EricPrisbell
Bill Self: "If we could start three players, I would start only three players. I don't know who else deserves to start."

KC_Connection 02-06-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384082)

Oklahoma St. is the 2nd best team in the B12 this year. Then it's some combination of KSU, Baylor, ISU, and OU.

Chiefs Pantalones 02-06-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9384083)
To me, it's still a matter of caring/giving a full effort. That's on the players themselves. He can only challenge them so many times. Even Withey, the rock of this team, was sleepwalking out there today. There wasn't any real urgency until there was like 10 minutes left in the game and by that time it was too late.

That is true. They really haven't given a full effort in a long time.

RustShack 02-06-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9384087)
Oklahoma St. is the 2nd best team in the B12 this year. Then it's some combination of KSU, Baylor, ISU, and OU.

Lol Oklahoma St. only beat Iowa State at home because they had a lot of help from the refs. Not to mention a lucky ass bank three at the half, similar to the only reason Kansas escaped Iowa State IN KANSAS! (Bank at the end of regulation)

KC_Connection 02-06-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384092)
Lol Oklahoma St. only beat Iowa State at home because they had a lot of help from the refs. Not to mention a lucky ass bank three at the half, similar to the only reason Kansas escaped Iowa State IN KANSAS! (Bank at the end of regulation)

Lots of teams get help from the refs at home. TCU just did and KU did against ISU. That's the way it goes in college basketball. ISU is a fine team that will make the tournament, but OSU is better than them.

RustShack 02-06-2013 11:32 PM

KU and OSU both wont be that lucky when they come to Ames.

Ceej 02-06-2013 11:40 PM

I can only imagine how great the Clones would be if Steele Jantz was on their basketball team.

Prison Bitch 02-06-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9384095)
Lots of teams get help from the refs at home. TCU just did and KU did against ISU. That's the way it goes in college basketball.

TCU didn't get any help from the refs tonite. GMAFB

RustShack 02-06-2013 11:43 PM

Guess who's in first place this weekend after KU and KSU both lose? Yep, IOWA STATE!

Prison Bitch 02-06-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9384049)
If KU wins all 5 of their remaining home games (KSU and four bad teams in UT, WVU, TTU, TCU) and pick up a road win along the way, they still likely win the conference outright. There are no guarantees anymore until this team starts giving a damn, though.

We're just not that good right now. Fact is, we've looked bad all conference so far except the Baylor home game. We looked like crap the rest of the games. Teams know they can just pressure the hell out of the PG, pack it in on Withey, and make us score off the drive. Which is only resulting in bad shots and worse: turnovers.

Saturday is a must-win now. Not for standings, but for sanity. If they get drubbed in Norman, they're not winning the conference. KU still has roadies at Baylor, at ISU, at Okie LIght.

Prison Bitch 02-06-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384110)
Guess who's in first place this weekend after KU and KSU both lose? Yep, IOWA STATE!

You'll still be in 2nd, since we hold the tiebreaker over you. But it was a nice effort nonetheless on your part.

chiefsfan987 02-06-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

and KU.....

Ceej 02-06-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9384073)

He's like the cute kid you see in public and go "awww."

Then he starts drooling all over himself uncontrollably

RustShack 02-06-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9384115)
You'll still be in 2nd, since we hold the tiebreaker over you. But it was a nice effort nonetheless on your part.

Well good thing we get you guys in Ames still.

Prison Bitch 02-06-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384120)
Well good thing we get you guys in Ames still.

True. I think you've beaten us there once in the last decade.

RustShack 02-07-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9384123)
True. I think you've beaten us there once in the last decade.

Good thing we're hot now, you're not. We also have 20 straight home wins currently. Oh and we should have beat you once already this year.

Buehler445 02-07-2013 12:04 AM

What the....? I don't even....

.....?

Jesus. That was the worst D-1 basketball I've seen. I may not have seen any highschool ball that bad. I've seen girls highschool basketball that bad. That's the level we're at today, folks. Women's highschool basketball.

It's mind boggling that this team played at such a high level in December and then put this on the court. I mean, it wasn't just soft play with no effort. In fact, I think they were trying for some of the game, they were just thinking instead of playing.

Ug. That went ahead and ruined my night.

chiefsfan987 02-07-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384125)
Good thing we're hot now, you're not. We also have 20 straight home wins currently. Oh and we should have beat you once already this year.

Yes, ISU should have beat KU this year, but IMO you already had your shot and you blew it. You're not going to get another golden opportunity like that against KU again this year IMO.

KC_Connection 02-07-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9384105)

It's nothing surprising considering its college basketball (home teams get the benefit of the calls, it happened just yesterday when Arkansas had that huge upset Florida, it happens every time KU plays in AFH, etc.), nor was it any more egregious than normal, nor would I pin the outcome of the game on it (KU's complacency allowed the loss to happen). But it was fairly obvious, all things considered, and I don't see how anybody watching that game objectively could deny that. One example would be the amount of moving screens TCU made to get most of their open shots, KU was called on those nearly every time tonight.

KC_Connection 02-07-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Iowa State probably won't be beating KSU in Manhattan. They're not a good road team. But it's nice to have hope, I guess.

Fairplay 02-07-2013 12:36 AM

Drug test EJ.

This team just doesn't seem to play with much enthusiasm, its just going through the motions no real spark behind it. I don't know what to say.
Trust me, you don't want this team to go into the tournament a number one seed it could make NCAA history in a very terrible way.

BWillie 02-07-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9383734)
Ben needs to start shooting from half court every possession.

I really dont nderstand why we dont call his number down the court. Every. Single. Time. Whenever he shoots its always a good thing bcuz it means EJ and Tharpe didnt. KSU seems to understand that they have to run their offense thru McGruder. We do not....i really do think something needs to be tweaked.

KC_Connection 02-07-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9384114)
We're just not that good right now. Fact is, we've looked bad all conference so far except the Baylor home game. We looked like crap the rest of the games. Teams know they can just pressure the hell out of the PG, pack it in on Withey, and make us score off the drive. Which is only resulting in bad shots and worse: turnovers.

Yes, it's what why I didn't like how they were beating bad teams like Texas and WVU in close games. Eventually playing like they were was going to catch up to them in the win column and it has.

Quote:

Saturday is a must-win now. Not for standings, but for sanity. If they get drubbed in Norman, they're not winning the conference. KU still has roadies at Baylor, at ISU, at Okie LIght.
It wouldn't be a good sign not to bounce back from this kind of garbage with a win, but really, they could lose Saturday and still win the conference. It's just way down this year. In that scenario, all it would take is a win vs. KSU on the following Monday and they'd be right back in at least a tie for first.

KC_Connection 02-07-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9384166)
I really dont nderstand why we dont call his number down the court. Every. Single. Time. Whenever he shoots its always a good thing bcuz it means EJ and Tharpe didnt. KSU seems to understand that they have to run their offense thru McGruder. We do not....i really do think something needs to be tweaked.

That would certainly be a better offense than getting nothing on half the possessions due to EJ and Tharpe throwing terrible passes or bricking awful shots.

chiefsfan987 02-07-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9384166)

Well frankly they just need to tell EJ after he shoots, if he misses it he doesn't shoot again until BMAC, Releford, and Withey have each shot it twice.

Silock 02-07-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9384105)

They absolutely did, but it isn't the reason KU lost.

chiefsfan987 02-07-2013 12:56 AM

KU is 0-3 when Elijah takes more than 11 shots in a game this year. They had a losing record last year when he took more than 11 too.

Fairplay 02-07-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan987 (Post 9384175)
Well frankly they just need to tell EJ after he shoots, if he misses it he doesn't shoot again until BMAC, Releford, and Withey have each shot it twice.

Take turns, heh. Actually Self needs to pull him off to the side and tell him your shots are limited in game play, high percentage only and that ain't no joke.

Silock 02-07-2013 12:59 AM

I'm ****ing drunk now.

I'm still optimistic. Sad about the loss, but the fact is that we have been SPOILED rotten with Bill Self. If this ends up being a down year, so ****ing be it. We'll win another NC soon. We're getting a shitload of talent next year.

We'll be fine. Pain is temporary. Blueblood is forever.

ROCK ****ING CHALK.

teedubya 02-07-2013 01:19 AM

My buddy and I were watching the game in Lawrence and we discussed:

1. How stiff and tight the rims seemed tonight. Even when they were dunked on, they didn't give much. Each shot clanked loudly off the rim. We both had that disadvantage... so even if that was the case, it shouldn't matter.

2. TCU would keep the ball 25-30 seconds with each possession and slowed the game waay down.Brilliant move by TCU.

3. 13 points? I've never seen ANY NCAA team ONLY get 13 points in one half. That was the most inept first half of basketball that I've ever seen.

4. It was the equivalent of watching Cassel-led Chiefs football... but for only 1/2 instead of a whole season.

KC_Connection 02-07-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9384196)
2. TCU would keep the ball 25-30 seconds with each possession and slowed the game waay down.Brilliant move by TCU.

It's not so much brilliant to me as it is obvious. It's a wonder why more coaches don't do it. That's the way every team should play a vastly superior opponent. It may destroy any entertainment value the game has, but it limits that superior team's possessions and makes it far more likely an inferior team can pull off the upset. That's the reason I wanted KU to foul from about the 10 minute mark...it would have created a ton more KU possessions. As it was, they just kept sucking time away (usually throwing up bricks, but about 30% of the time making a shot which was enough to win).

Really, if more 16 seeds slowed the game down as much as TCU did tonight in the tournament, I suspect we would have seen one of them win by now.

Saulbadguy 02-07-2013 07:05 AM

sorry for the loss, bro's

Buehler445 02-07-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9384204)
It's not so much brilliant to me as it is obvious. It's a wonder why more coaches don't do it. That's the way every team should play a vastly superior opponent. It may destroy any entertainment value the game has, but it limits that superior team's possessions and makes it far more likely an inferior team can pull off the upset. That's the reason I wanted KU to foul from about the 10 minute mark...it would have created a ton more KU possessions. As it was, they just kept sucking time away (usually throwing up bricks, but about 30% of the time making a shot which was enough to win).

Really, if more 16 seeds slowed the game down as much as TCU did tonight in the tournament, I suspect we would have seen one of them win by now.

Yeah, it's just a matter of being hardheaded on the coaches part sometimes. Just like dumbass coaches that want to "establish the run" with 9 guys in the box.

The other part of it is that kids don't see the talent disparity. They think they're as good as anybody. And from a coaching perspective, you don't really want to says "slow it down or they're going to curb stomp us." I don't know of how you can do that without crushing morale. There's some guys that want to "work for a good shot" and "take care of the ball", but from a coaching perspective I don't know how you get from real basketball to get it across half court at 8, hold on to it - do NOTHING, and put up last second shots and shit. I just don't know how you bridge the gap.

And the other thing is that it doesn't work most of the time. It took one of their better offensive games, and the worst offensive game ever from KU to make it work. Normally the teams that slog it down don't score as efficiently as the good team. Now, I agree it is your best shot, but I don't know how much it increases your effectiveness. For the most part, unless you're getting away with physical shit, or you have some matchup to exploit, you're still trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I'd stick to trying to create turnovers and jacking 3s.

Ceej 02-07-2013 08:15 AM

I feel like I woke up from a bad dream.

Did KU seriously lose to the worst team on the B12?

Is this real life?

Braincase 02-07-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9384318)
I feel like I woke up from a bad dream.

Did KU seriously lose to the worst team on the B12?

Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide... no escape from reality.

Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see....

Lzen 02-07-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9384321)
Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide... no escape from reality.

Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see....

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,

Because I'm easy come, easy go,

Little high, little low,

Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me.

ChiTown 02-07-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9384085)
King has been on the ISU bandwagon basically all year - putting us at number 2 in the conference power ranking early on. Here he talks about ISU in his "Thoughts From Press Row":

Pressure takes its toll on bubble teams - college basketball - ESPN

3. Iowa State appears poised for a strong second-half surge. The Cyclones have won three of their past four games -- all of which came against some of the Big 12's best teams. They beat Kansas State (by six points), Baylor (eight) and Oklahoma (19) in Ames, Iowa, and lost to Oklahoma State 78-76 in Stillwater, Okla.
Iowa State is 16-6 overall and 6-3 in the Big 12.
[+] EnlargeReese Strickland/USA TODAY Sports Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg is pleased to see the progress and growth of his team.

"I've really been pleased with the growth of our team," Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg told ESPN.com after Monday's win over Oklahoma. "If you look at where we are right now, we're in a pretty good position. We lost to Kansas on a banked 3 and to Oklahoma State when things didn't go our way down the stretch. But we're playing really good basketball right now. I really like our guys' focus and effort."
Iowa State touts one of the top offensive attacks in college basketball. The Cyclones' 78.5 points per game ranks 12th in the nation. In Monday's win over Oklahoma, six players made 3-pointers in the first nine minutes.
Even more impressive is that Iowa State ranks 15th in the country in rebounding. Power forward Melvin Ejim -- who averages a Big 12-best 9.4 boards per contest -- is just 6-foot-6. And center Georges Niang is only 6-7.
"Melvin is a tenacious rebounder," Hoiberg said. "He goes after it every time. We want our 3, 4 and 5 guys crashing the offensive glass. Melvin is the one that does it every single possession.
"Georges is a strong rebounder. He doesn't have great lift, but he wedges guys out. He uses his body and does a good job of getting to the boards. [Small forward] Will Clyburn can get you eight a game too. That helps.
"We feel like if we can control the glass, we can beat anybody."

You assholes are going down this weekend.:D And LOL at your 2nd best team comment.

Imon Yourside 02-07-2013 08:41 AM

Time to scrap the Chuck and Duck offense?

Mr_Tomahawk 02-07-2013 08:48 AM

Yup.

Still sucks.

I would be really curious how the next couple of practices go before Saturday. This is not so familiar territory to Self and Co.

BourbonMan 02-07-2013 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Reerun_KC 02-07-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9384350)
You assholes are going down this weekend.:D And LOL at your 2nd best team comment.

Well we will never be as good as a Bruce Woolridge team...

You got us there.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-07-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonMan (Post 9384366)

That is pretty funny actually...

ChiTown 02-07-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 9384378)
Well we will never be as good as a Bruce Woolridge team...

You got us there.

Um, I was talking to an ISU fan. Wake up.

bsp4444 02-07-2013 09:06 AM

God I wish I'd watched last night's game, and yes I'm a hater.

Imon Yourside 02-07-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsp4444 (Post 9384390)
God I wish I'd watched last night's game, and yes I'm a hater.

You need to pay closer attention it may be years before it happens again.

bsp4444 02-07-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9384402)
You need to pay closer attention it may be years before it happens again.

I did get to hear the end of the OK State game on the radio, so two upset losses in a row has my hopes up. I'm petty and I admit it.

Lzen 02-07-2013 09:52 AM

Also, all of these trolls in this thread is a good reason to get back to doing game day threads.

Lzen 02-07-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9384386)
Um, I was talking to an ISU fan. Wake up.

ROFL

FishingRod 02-07-2013 10:01 AM

I have been watching KU for decades and have great respect and pride in the tradition and accomplishments of the KU Basketball program. I have suffered through the UTEPs, the Becknel’s, The Virginias, and the Dukes. I have cheered as Danny and the Miracles marched through their bracket to beat OU and willed them to Catch Memphis so Mario’s heroic shot could send us to an overtime victory. I watched in person KU beat the Soviet Union’s national team at Kemper arena. Never, ever, have a seen a team bring shame to the uniform until last night.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-07-2013 10:06 AM

Christ people, don't jump off a bridge or anything...

It was one game...

KC_Connection 02-07-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9384310)
Yeah, it's just a matter of being hardheaded on the coaches part sometimes. Just like dumbass coaches that want to "establish the run" with 9 guys in the box.

The other part of it is that kids don't see the talent disparity. They think they're as good as anybody. And from a coaching perspective, you don't really want to says "slow it down or they're going to curb stomp us." I don't know of how you can do that without crushing morale. There's some guys that want to "work for a good shot" and "take care of the ball", but from a coaching perspective I don't know how you get from real basketball to get it across half court at 8, hold on to it - do NOTHING, and put up last second shots and shit. I just don't know how you bridge the gap.

And the other thing is that it doesn't work most of the time. It took one of their better offensive games, and the worst offensive game ever from KU to make it work. Normally the teams that slog it down don't score as efficiently as the good team. Now, I agree it is your best shot, but I don't know how much it increases your effectiveness. For the most part, unless you're getting away with physical shit, or you have some matchup to exploit, you're still trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I'd stick to trying to create turnovers and jacking 3s.

Well, when you're a team as bad as TCU, nothing you do is going to work most of the time ever. The only chance they had was to take as much time as possible on each possession and they did that. They knew they couldn't play straight up and expect any kind of close game. If KU had even 5-10 more possessions, the game may and probably would have ended with a different outcome.

It's pretty unbelievable that KU shot poor enough to make it happen, though. EJ (3 for 12) and Tharpe (2 for 15) shot a combined 5 for 27. In fact, non-Withey/McLemore players shot 8 for 39. And somehow the team's most efficient shooter Releford was on the court for 36 minutes and only took 1 shot ( a miss, of course)

In all, that might have been the worst "high-level" basketball game I've ever seen. The level of futility of both teams was astounding.

gblowfish 02-07-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9384518)
Well, when you're a team as bad as TCU, nothing you do is going to work most of the time ever. The only chance they had was to take as much time as possible on each possession and they did that.

You should give the Frogs some credit for coming to play. When I was watching, I noticed when the KU road fans started chanting KU Smack, the Frogs played even harder. I think it helped them.

Good highlights on the Frog's Website today:

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/

warpaint* 02-07-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9384518)
Well, when you're a team as bad as TCU, nothing you do is going to work most of the time ever. The only chance they had was to take as much time as possible on each possession and they did that. They knew they couldn't play straight up and expect any kind of close game. If KU had even 5-10 more possessions, the game may and probably would have ended with a different outcome.

It's pretty unbelievable that KU shot poor enough to make it happen, though. EJ (3 for 12) and Tharpe (2 for 15) shot a combined 5 for 27. In fact, non-Withey/McLemore players shot 8 for 39. And somehow the team's most efficient shooter Releford was on the court for 36 minutes and only took 1 shot ( a miss, of course)

In all, that might have been the worst "high-level" basketball game I've ever seen. The level of futility of both teams was astounding.

I was pretty surprised KU could play bad enough to lose to a team like that. It would have been one thing if TCU was playing over it's head but they looked about how you'd expect them to look. It was some of the ugliest basketball I have ever seen. It rivals performances by some Quin teams when he was bottoming out.

They can be good enough to win at Ohio State and bad enough to lose at TCU. Quite remarkable.

KC_Connection 02-07-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9384525)
You should give the Frogs some credit for coming to play. When I was watching, I noticed when the KU road fans started chanting KU Smack, the Frogs played even harder. I think it helped them.

What helped them more than anything was KU sleepwalking through 30 minutes of the game not giving a shit. As they held the lead longer and longer, their belief grew and it carried them through the rest of the game.

While the game styles weren't similar (and one meant far more than the other), the closest comparable to this outcome in recent years in college basketball would be when a great Missouri (7 in KP) got beat by an awful Norfolk State team (201 in KP). The difference was even larger in this game, though, as TCU was ranked 251 going into last night in KenPom, while KU was 8.

KC_Connection 02-07-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 9384535)
I was pretty surprised KU could play bad enough to lose to a team like that. It would have been one thing if TCU was playing over it's head but they looked about how you'd expect them to look. It was some of the ugliest basketball I have ever seen. It rivals performances by some Quin teams when he was bottoming out.

They can be good enough to win at Ohio State and bad enough to lose at TCU. Quite remarkable.

Yeah, it's not like TCU played out of their minds or anything. They shot well for them, but even that was only 39%. KU simply brought their level down to one of the worst teams in the NCAA yesterday. It's never happened before in the Self era and it may never again. That probably suggests some kind of fatal flaw with this team that will bare itself out over the next month, but as you mentioned, they are capable of great things. The road win at OSU is one of the best wins any NCAA team has had all year. If they could ever recapture that form going into the tournament, they could still do great things.

gblowfish 02-07-2013 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 9384535)
It rivals performances by some Quin teams when he was bottoming out.

Lets hope Bill Self doesn't take to snorting coke off Paige Laurie's tits!

Fairplay 02-07-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9373295)
This is Self's worst team at KU I think. Its a wonder they were ranked at number two in the nation.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...orst-team-ever

Self: Kansas' worst team ever

08:20 AM ET 02.07 | Center Jeff Withey admitted team morale was "pretty low," and no wonder. Kansas University did much more than lose a basketball game on Wednesday to TCU, the last-place team in the Big 12 Conference. The Jayhawks, according to coach Bill Self, had one of the most putrid performances in school history, evidenced by a 13-point -- yes, 13-point -- first half that contributed mightily to a 62-55 setback in Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. "It's the worst team Kansas has ever put on the floor since Dr. Naismith was here," Self said after the Jayhawks suffered back-to-back losses for the first time since the 2005-06 season. ... "I think he had some bad teams when he lost to Topeka YMCA in his first couple years."

KUSports.com

I took some pounding when I said that statement, so here's my proof.

warpaint* 02-07-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9384553)
Yeah, it's not like TCU played out of their minds or anything. They shot well for them, but even that was only 39%. KU simply brought their level down to one of the worst teams in the NCAA yesterday. It's never happened before in the Self era and it may never again. That probably suggests some kind of fatal flaw with this team that will bare itself out over the next month, but as you mentioned, they are capable of great things. The road win at OSU is one of the best wins any NCAA team has had all year. If they could ever recapture that form going into the tournament, they could still do great things.

I would never put a deep tourney run past a Self team but at the same time this one clearly has issues that may end up being fatal. It isn't just tonight, last Sat, screwed around w/ Ist too. They seem to play to the level of the competition at times. On the flip side McLemore is going to continue to develop and will be a force next month.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-07-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9384567)
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...orst-team-ever

Self: Kansas' worst team ever

08:20 AM ET 02.07 | Center Jeff Withey admitted team morale was "pretty low," and no wonder. Kansas University did much more than lose a basketball game on Wednesday to TCU, the last-place team in the Big 12 Conference. The Jayhawks, according to coach Bill Self, had one of the most putrid performances in school history, evidenced by a 13-point -- yes, 13-point -- first half that contributed mightily to a 62-55 setback in Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. "It's the worst team Kansas has ever put on the floor since Dr. Naismith was here," Self said after the Jayhawks suffered back-to-back losses for the first time since the 2005-06 season. ... "I think he had some bad teams when he lost to Topeka YMCA in his first couple years."

KUSports.com

I took some pounding when I said that statement, so here's my proof.

This team just put together the 2nd longest win streak under Self.

They have had a bad week.

Overreact much?

gblowfish 02-07-2013 10:45 AM

Hey, Topeka YMCA says stop with the disrespect. They'd love to play KU again, but Bill won't put them on the schedule. Same problem as Wichita State!