ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Job Advice On Postion Offered (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291801)

petegz28 04-09-2015 05:44 PM

Job Advice On Postion Offered

So I applied for an open position with a company. As part of the application I gave my minimum accepted salary. When I received a phone call from them to set up an interview I asked what range they were looking to pay. Their answer: "I haven't looked yet but we are within range of what you put down for your minimum or we wouldn't have called"

Okay, fair enough. So I go to the interview. At the end of the interview I ask the HR person, "what range are you looking to pay?". I get the same answer of we have to pull numbers and this and that but what you are asking for is within our range. Again, fair enough.

Today I get an offer 10% below what I stated as my minimum accepted and told that is the highest they can go because the position is that and not that.

So I'm kinda like, WTF happened to "within range"? I asked twice on two separate occasions what they were looking to pay and both times I was lead to believe what I stated as a minimum was close to an acceptable level. I understand coming in initially below my stated minimum but this sounds kinda shitty, really.

Worth negotiating? I do want the position but I am not hurting nor in desperate need for it either.

WilliamTheIrish 04-09-2015 05:48 PM

Youre worth 10% less than everybody else obviously.

BullJunkandIron 04-09-2015 05:51 PM

Need more detail.

TribalElder 04-09-2015 05:54 PM

**** that

Get back that 10% and ask for 5 more

Bastards

Probably trying to low ball so you counter with the original agreement and feel like it was a win

If you want to be low balled stay where you are, changing positions should be a step up bro

KC native 04-09-2015 05:54 PM

See if there is a glass door review for the company.

Also, see if other parts of the benefits are negotiable. More vacation time for example.

Kidd Lex 04-09-2015 05:54 PM

Most organizations are moving to banded pay - but I promise you - these things are ALWAYS negotiable - usually for external hires like you especially. Believe it or not as an internal hire, your pay is much more controlled. One may be able to score the money theyre looking for through a lower base and some sort of guarantee in bonus or other form of compensation.

Anyways as an external if they want you, they will pay for you. End of story.

cmh6476 04-09-2015 05:54 PM

Do they know how much time you waste posting here?

KCUnited 04-09-2015 05:55 PM

Sign on bonus.

GloucesterChief 04-09-2015 05:56 PM

Yeah, need more detail. I took my current position with a salary less then I asked for at minimum. I got a raise to my minimum salary request in two months and another 8000 dollar per year raise at the end of last year.

So, depends on the company, rate of advancement, and living expenses in the area.

TribalElder 04-09-2015 05:57 PM

Make sexy time on their faces

http://imgur.com/sqJDH.gif

King_Chief_Fan 04-09-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 11427948)
So I applied for an open position with a company. As part of the application I gave my minimum accepted salary. When I received a phone call from them to set up an interview I asked what range they were looking to pay. Their answer: "I haven't looked yet but we are within range of what you put down for your minimum or we wouldn't have called"

Okay, fair enough. So I go to the interview. At the end of the interview I ask the HR person, "what range are you looking to pay?". I get the same answer of we have to pull numbers and this and that but what you are asking for is within our range. Again, fair enough.

Today I get an offer 10% below what I stated as my minimum accepted and told that is the highest they can go because the position is that and not that.

So I'm kinda like, WTF happened to "within range"? I asked twice on two separate occasions what they were looking to pay and both times I was lead to believe what I stated as a minimum was close to an acceptable level. I understand coming in initially below my stated minimum but this sounds kinda shitty, really.

Worth negotiating? I do want the position but I am not hurting nor in desperate need for it either.

The 10% diff is in their range

Eleazar 04-09-2015 06:18 PM

Ask them to hire you at a more senior version of that position. It will have a higher salary range. If they say no then you say that you have to decline.

If they aren't willing to pay you your current salary plus some for switching then whatever. They can't really expect people to take a pay cut to work for them.

Scorp 04-09-2015 06:22 PM

Remember this is the only time "you" have any power. Stay strong and stick to your guns. Ask for a company car, 6 weeks vacation pay and all holidays off. Also you will need a secretary that is 23 and will do whatever you ask.

You are welcome.

mdstu 04-09-2015 06:22 PM

Assuming the amount you put as a minimum is really your minimum:

Counter with 10% over your minimum. If they don't counter with atleast your minimum, thank them for their time and walk.

Fish 04-09-2015 06:26 PM

Their "range" started at $0. Sucker.....