ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Do we have any OTR drivers here? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267935)

BigMeatballDave 01-24-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9348074)
Have fun with the parallel parking, and dock parking. Those are fun. :evil:

:) I bet.

BigMeatballDave 01-24-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9348257)
Be sure to drive with your bright lights on all night and drive 45 in a 70

Sounds like some solid advice.

Will keep in mind.

:)

Rasputin 01-24-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9347837)
I begin CDL training Monday.

4-week course.

Good luck it's what I want to do too. Just havn't put forth any effort to get the CDL. I'd like to take a course for it, but don't know the cost. I really just want to wait for winter to get over with.

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 04:34 PM

Just keep your record clean and run like hell to a LTL or foodservice company when you get a chance...

Oh don't be a badass and think you can drive when the weather is shit... My friend who placed 1st in the state nc truck driving championship and placed 3rd in the Nationals just crashed last thursday on a black ice covered bridge... He was only going 25... Park the shit, it's your license and no dispatcher can make you drive even if he sounds like a badass... You **** up and they will put another warm body in your seat and you will be forgotten.

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9348322)
Good luck it's what I want to do too. Just havn't put forth any effort to get the CDL. I'd like to take a course for it, but don't know the cost. I really just want to wait for winter to get over with.

Study and pass this first

http://www.truckingboards.com/forum/...rial-test.html

Rasputin 01-24-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9348333)

Hey thanks R8ers that should be quite helpful. I don't dread driving but taking the permit test kind of has me freaked out. I'm not much for one to study either lol. I keep telling myself I'm going to do it, but I am cursed with procrastination syndrome.

Fish 01-24-2013 04:50 PM

Wait.... Truck driving championship?

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 04:51 PM

Your tires and mirrors are the best friends you have in freezing conditions...

If the pavement looks wet and you don't see tire spray... You are probably getting ready to crash.. Tire spray = Traction..

Your mirrors will freeze over first... Keep the heated mirrors off... When the mirrors freeze the bridges are next...

Also when your wipers are freezing up, pull your sunvisors down, this will trap more warm air against the windshield... (Does not work in extreme cold of course)

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9348391)
Wait.... Truck driving championship?

Yes sir it is a big deal and people take it very serious TDC... It is based around safety 100% ... No cowboy shit.. True pro drivers exercising safety for themselves and the public.

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9348383)
Hey thanks R8ers that should be quite helpful. I don't dread driving but taking the permit test kind of has me freaked out. I'm not much for one to study either lol. I keep telling myself I'm going to do it, but I am cursed with procrastination syndrome.

HAZMAT is the hardest part but you won't get a great paying job without it.

Fish 01-24-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9348399)
Yes sir it is a big deal and people take it very serious TDC... It is based around safety 100% ... No cowboy shit.. True pro drivers exercising safety for themselves and the public.

So no trucker bomb accuracy games or meth multitasking categories?

Rasputin 01-24-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9348401)
HAZMAT is the hardest part but you won't get a great paying job without it.

The most I want to do is haul grain aka corn or wheat. I don't need to make a huge mount of money to live comfortably. I want it as easy as possible. I love the cush job I have now, but it just doesn't pay enough for me & my daughter to pay all the bills. My place is cheap enough that it wouldn't take much tho to get ahead in life if the truck driving works out even if I do it seasonally. I just recognize what I'm doing now isn't paying the bills.

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9348416)
The most I want to do is haul grain aka corn or wheat. I don't need to make a huge mount of money to live comfortably. I want it as easy as possible. I love the cush job I have now, but it just doesn't pay enough for me & my daughter to pay all the bills. My place is cheap enough that it wouldn't take much tho to get ahead in life if the truck driving works out even if I do it seasonally. I just recognize what I'm doing now isn't paying the bills.

Cost 5 bucks extra to get it on your license in my state, just a little more studying...

I am licensed to drive anything but a school bus, I have a tanker license and I have never pulled one but who knows, it may be needed one day.
Truck driving is not the cush job people think it is, longhaul is looking through a windshield 10 hours a day... It works on the brain..

Get the best money you can, make yourself marketable, It's harder to get a good job now for a rookie, too many experienced drivers to choose from.

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9348412)
So no trucker bomb accuracy games or meth multitasking categories?

Not with these dudes... Cowboy truckers in the 70's left a a bad stigma on the industry that still exist today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QjwXu4ueSv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigMeatballDave 02-22-2013 01:10 PM

Passed all driving tests today.