ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Amazon announces Fire TV (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282742)

Fish 04-10-2014 03:41 PM

I never liked Ouya. It was destined to fail.

htismaqe 04-10-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10553967)
I never liked Ouya. It was destined to fail.

It will be interesting how Steam Box fares in the coming months.

The analysts absolutely hate the idea. I honestly don't see the appeal even if developers get on board (and right now most of them are lukewarm at best).

ragedogg69 04-11-2014 02:52 PM

some people will buy it because it is valve.

I like the idea of Steam OS doing a mirror playback from my Gaming PC, but I wouldnt buy one just for that.

htismaqe 04-11-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10556222)
some people will buy it because it is valve.

I like the idea of Steam OS doing a mirror playback from my Gaming PC, but I wouldnt buy one just for that.

The results from the streaming aren't particularly impressive yet.

The big problem is that Steam OS is built on Linux and most developers just don't want to support another OS, especially one with such a small install base.

It will likely end up being like OS X, where a few LARGE publishers release games and 3rd-party port developers are left cleaning up the gaps. The Windows game market is so many times larger than OS X, it's not even funny.

ragedogg69 04-11-2014 03:09 PM

I thought that Windows would run the game on your gaming rig and steam would mirror it to a less beefy steambox running steam OS?

I wouldnt necessarily poo poo the idea of linux support. In the simplest of terms, if a developer used non proprietary software to make their game, it is rather easy to release it across multiple platforms. Steam makes a lot of money from these indie games on their store. I am sure they could motivate them to release a steam OS version of their title.

htismaqe 04-11-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10556263)
I thought that Windows would run the game on your gaming rig and steam would mirror it to a less beefy steambox running steam OS?

That's the idea. It's not working real great right now in the demos people have seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10556263)
I wouldnt necessarily poo poo the idea of linux support. In the simplest of terms, if a developer used non proprietary software to make their game, it is rather easy to release it across multiple platforms. Steam makes a lot of money from these indie games on their store. I am sure they could motivate them to release a steam OS version of their title.

I'm not poo-pooing it. Developers are. You should read some of the comments. The industry analysts are even tougher on it than the developers.

Skyy God 04-15-2014 07:30 PM

The Fire TV runs XBMC like a champ. New leader in the clubhouse for a $99 streaming box.

ragedogg69 04-16-2014 01:36 PM

Thank god. All these chinese imported android boxes for XBMC was ruining it.

Skyy God 04-16-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10566650)
Thank god. All these chinese imported android boxes for XBMC was ruining it.

Easy install. You dl the Android developer toolkit, synch your computer and Fire, and copy over any sideloaded programs you want.

It's fast, too. I can switch from an authorized app (i.e., Showtime Anytime) and start a video in SBMC in 10-15 seconds.

lawrenceRaider 04-30-2014 10:36 AM

Anyone else play the game Amazon is giving with the Fire TV, Sev Zero? It's a combo Tower Defense and FPS game that's freaking awesome. I'm a tower defense junky, and haven't really gotten into FPS in a while, but this made it fun as hell.

007 05-13-2014 03:28 PM

Can those of you that own this confirm two things for me. 1. will it read large external HDDs 2tb that I store tons of pictures and video files on. 2. Can I install WinSCP on it for quick transferring of small files via wireless.

My gbox crashes regularly now and I'm getting tired of it but these are two features I love and would miss greatly.

Skyy God 05-13-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10627987)
Can those of you that own this confirm two things for me. 1. will it read large external HDDs 2tb that I store tons of pictures and video files on. 2. Can I install WinSCP on it for quick transferring of small files via wireless.

My gbox crashes regularly now and I'm getting tired of it but these are two features I love and would miss greatly.

No idea on 2, but pretty sure it doesn't support external storage yet.

007 05-13-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10628478)
No idea on 2, but pretty sure it doesn't support external storage yet.

Well, if 1 doesn't work then 2 doesn't really matter.

ragedogg69 05-15-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10627987)

You would have to connect those HDDs to the Network for the Fire TV to use them. (for now)

Either NAS or another PC on your network.

007 05-15-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10631793)
You would have to connect those HDDs to the Network for the Fire TV to use them. (for now)

Either NAS or another PC on your network.

Yeah, I picked up on that. Until I can plug my HDD directly into the unit I won't be interested in this. My gbox only crashes when streaming content via xbmc but works just fine on local content. I'll just have to live with until someone makes a box that can do everything. I also like that I can attach a wireless keyboard to the gbox as well as the HDD.