ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Report: Jets will pay “whatever it takes” to get Kirk Cousins (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314004)

T-post Tom 02-19-2018 10:39 AM

Report: Jets will pay “whatever it takes” to get Kirk Cousins

The Jets apparently want Kirk Cousins. They apparently want him badly enough that they’re willing to break the bank for him.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, the Jets are “willing to pay whatever it takes” to get him.

This report comes amid a belief that the Jets may be willing to fully guarantee Cousins’ deal. The notion of paying “whatever it takes” becomes far more open-ended than that, especially since there’s no way of knowing what it will take until knowing what another team will pay.

If there’s at least one other team willing to make a similar commitment, the end result could be an auction that drives the market well north of $30 million per year. Assuming, of course, that Cousins would want to actually play for one of the teams willing to break the bank.

During a Super Bowl-week visit to PFT Live, Cousins seemed to suggest that he’s willing to take less to win, while also acknowledging that plenty of winning teams have expensive quarterbacks. Last year, he seemed to suggest that his goal is to make as much as possible.

“[T]here’s other quarterbacks that come after you and it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in a position to have a contract,” Cousins said in January 2017. “And if you don’t take a deal that’s fair to you, then you’re also taking a deal that’s not fair to them and you’re setting them back as well. So there’s different reasons. You just do the best you can.”

Cousins will be doing better than the best any quarterback has ever done, whether it’s with the Jets or another team. Barring a third straight franchise tag from his current team (which remains unlikely, and likely would be scrapped via a grievance), Cousins will become the first healthy franchise quarterback on the right side of 30 to become a free agent in nearly a quarter-century of free agency. Given the $44 million he has made over the last two years, his next deal could push his career earnings toward a quarter-billion.

<iframe src="//vplayer.nbcsports.com/p/BxmELC/nbcsports_embed/select/media/nCtNAHnjUX6G" width="624" height="351" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/19/report-jets-will-pay-whatever-it-takes-to-get-kirk-cousins/

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2018 10:40 AM

Annnnnnnnd that’s why they’re the butt****ing Jets.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2018 10:41 AM

Also, this is going to completely f**k the QB market, much like Flacco once did.

raybec 4 02-19-2018 10:42 AM

I really like how in the quote he basically says he has to get as much cash as possible to protect future guys contracts too. Stay strong for the cause Kirk, I know it's a big sacrifice to cash in but it's your obligation to the youngsters.

T-post Tom 02-19-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13424891)
Also, this is going to completely f**k the QB market, much like Flacco once did.

Good analogy, it it happens.

threebag 02-19-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13424886)
Annnnnnnnd that’s why they’re the butt****ing Jets.

Too bad Eugene isn't still there. He just added to the butt****ery

TribalElder 02-19-2018 11:28 AM

Kirk cousins has been overpaid the last 2 years

He isn’t that good

Jets aren’t either though so **** em both

Sassy Squatch 02-19-2018 11:33 AM

Bold negotiating tactic. Lets see if it pays off.

lawrenceRaider 02-19-2018 11:35 AM

If Cousins wants to win he'll get his butt down to Jacksonville ans sign up.

CasselGotPeedOn 02-19-2018 11:36 AM

Donks are gonna end up with Allen or Mayfield lol

raybec 4 02-19-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13424962)
Bold negotiating tactic. Lets see if it pays off.

That's the tactic I used on my house. "I'll PAY ANYTHING!!!!" They fell for it.

Eleazar 02-19-2018 11:44 AM

Say what you will about Cousins, quarterbacks under 30 of his caliber (pretty good) don't hit free agency. It just doesn't happen anymore. If you can't draft one you have to pay up or remain irrelevant. And with a division rival perhaps in pursuit of him, maybe the Jets are feeling like this is their best option with no other notable FAs, with the cupboard bare, and with the draft class lacking.

In any case, we may not like a re-Flaccoing of the market when PM's deal comes up, and he's now entering the second year of a 4 year deal IIRC. Questions about his contract are not all that far off.

O.city 02-19-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13424975)
Say what you will about Cousins, quarterbacks under 30 of his caliber (pretty good) don't hit free agency. It just doesn't happen anymore. If you can't draft one you have to pay up or remain irrelevant. And with a division rival perhaps in pursuit of him, maybe the Jets are feeling like this is their best option with no other notable FAs, with the cupboard bare, and with the draft class lacking.

In any case, we may not like a re-Flaccoing of the market when PM's deal comes up, and he's now entering the second year of a 4 year deal IIRC. Questions about his contract are not all that far off.

5 year deal

Easy 6 02-19-2018 11:50 AM

I'm usually too hard on Cousins, he is solid enough

But the Jets flat out saying 'please rape us, whatever you wanna do!' is dumb as ****... I'd pick my favorite guy in the draft and never look back, before selling my soul for Kirk Cousins

Hoover 02-19-2018 11:57 AM

This is awesome! Really screws a team like thw Broncos!