ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   WalterFootball mocks 2013 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268670)

the Talking Can 01-09-2013 11:19 AM

WalterFootball mocks 2013

updated with latest - Feb 27th

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

1. Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

2. Kansas City Chiefs: Margus Hunt, DE/DT, SMU

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State

4. Kansas City Chiefs: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

jd1020 01-09-2013 12:03 PM

He has Xavier Rhodes going #51 to the Redskins and us taking Justin Hunter because we let Bowe go and then taking a CB in round 3... :facepalm:

Saccopoo 01-10-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9299842)
He has Xavier Rhodes going #51 to the Redskins and us taking Justin Hunter because we let Bowe go and then taking a CB in round 3... :facepalm:

**** this ****ing guy.

ntexascardfan 01-13-2013 01:05 PM

Instead of a WR in round two I don't know why we don't take a TE like Zach Ertz.

Especially if we manage to trade out of #1 and get another early second round pick.

It's been a while since we've had a TE we can count on.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2013 03:36 PM

I don't think Rhodes will make it to us at 2.2....but if he does we have to take him, IMO.

I love Justin Hunter and would JIMP if we took him, provided that we don't take him ahead of Rhodes.

I'm not terribly worried. Reid has always focused on the same areas I prefer we focus on (QB, LT, Pass Rushers and CBs) so I'm fairly confident that he'll put together a draft that I like.

CrownChief 01-13-2013 06:34 PM

I think we should tag Albert and trade him to the Eagles for their 2nd. My dream scenario:

Restructure Jackson's contract, Re-sign Colquitt & Pitoitua, Sign Wallace (WR, Steelers), Vick, and Rodgers-Cromartie.

Draft
1a. Joeckel (LT, Texas A&M) - could be best LT in the league someday
1b. Barkley (QB, USC) - trade up with 4th and 6th, good fit for west coast offense
2. Hunt (DE, SMU) - JJ Watt measurables, drops due to rawness and age
3a. Brown (ILB, Kansas St) - Belcher's replacement
3b. Lattimore (RB, South Carolina) - value pick

jd1020 01-13-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownChief (Post 9315582)
I think we should tag Albert and trade him to the Eagles for their 2nd. My dream scenario:

Restructure Jackson's contract, Re-sign Colquitt & Pitoitua, Sign Wallace (WR, Steelers), Vick, and Rodgers-Cromartie.

Draft
1b. Barkley (QB, USC) - trade up with 4th and 6th, good fit for west coast offense

DIAF

Saccopoo 01-13-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Draft

Nice first post...

http://www.twistappel.com/wp-content...ull-reerun.gif

Hammock Parties 01-13-2013 11:00 PM

Whoa. I had no idea draftplanet was actually active.

htismaqe 01-14-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Draft

That's your DREAM scenario?

Do you often dream of getting fist-****ed by midgets, too?

KC_Lee 01-14-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9316851)
That's your DREAM scenario?

Do you often dream of getting fist-****ed by midgets, too?

ROFLROFLROFL

The Franchise 01-14-2013 12:43 PM

If I'm going off of that mock....I'd rather see. *I'm also including a comp 3rd for Carr.

1. Geno Smith, QB
2. Xavier Rhodes, CB
3. Da'Rick Rogers, WR
3. Zac Dysert, QB
4. Phillip Thomas, S

Nightfyre 01-14-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9317338)
If I'm going off of that mock....I'd rather see. *I'm also including a comp 3rd for Carr.

1. Geno Smith, QB
2. Xavier Rhodes, CB
3. Da'Rick Rogers, WR
3. Zac Dysert, QB
4. Phillip Thomas, S

Oh god... Now look what you've done. I have to go change pants. #creamedinmajeans.

The Franchise 01-15-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

1. Geno Smith, QB
2. Xavier Rhodes, CB
3. Da'Rick Rogers, WR
3. Zac Dysert, QB
4. Phillip Thomas, S

And one without a WR and a 2nd QB.

1. Geno Smith, QB
2. Xavier Rhodes, CB
3. Chase Thomas, DE/OLB
3. William Gholston, DE/DT, Michigan State
4. Phillip Thomas, S

Saccopoo 01-15-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

1. Geno Smith, QB
2. Xavier Rhodes, CB
3. Da'Rick Rogers, WR
3. Zac Dysert, QB
4. Phillip Thomas, S

I think that when everything is said and done, Rhodes will likely be gone in the first round, jumping over Mississippi State Jon Banks. Milliner will likely go to the Lions, and won't fall past the Titans. After that, Rhodes' combination of size and downfield speed and nastiness is going to be hard to pass on for a team like the Bucs.

However, I think that both Banks and Amerson are potential studs at the #2 CB slot. Both long, big guys with a superb nose for the ball. Banks is one of the most fluid CB's I've seen in a long time at the college level, and Amerson has a ridiculous nose for the ball. He tried to do a little too much this season in attempting to match his junior year numbers and got burned for it a couple of times, but he's ridiculously talented.

Both are really good press coverage guys who play really long against the thrown ball. Both will come up hard in run support as well.

The Franchise 01-15-2013 03:08 PM

Updating today.

Quote:

1. Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
I wrote earlier that this pick largely depended on what would happen with Scott Pioli. If Pioli were retained, he'd draft Star Lotulelei or Luke Joeckel and then use his second-round pick on Mike Glennon, whom he likes. If Pioli were fired, however, as the awesome @saveourchiefs movement was pushing for, the new general manager would almost have to take a franchise quarterback.

Well, it was the latter situation that occurred. Andy Reid was hired, while Pioli was axed. New regimes mean new quarterbacks, but whether that means Reid will spend this selection on a quarterback or sign his aging, scrambling signal-caller from Philadelphia remains to be seen. But if history is any indication, Reid will use this pick on Geno Smith.

Reid eschewed all the top free-agent quarterbacks when he took over as the Eagles' head coach, taking a mobile, Big East product with a good deep ball and upside instead. Well, Smith is a mobile, (former) Big East product with a good deep ball and upside. He fits perfectly into Reid's offense.

ESPN and other outlets will tell you that Smith nor any other signal-caller is worth taking No. 1 overall, but that could easily change. Remember two years ago when ESPN was mocking Da'Quan Bowers and Nick Fairley to the Panthers? Well, Cam Newton ballooned to the top, as will some other quarterback this year. It could be Smith, Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley or Glennon. We'll see. Four months is a long time. If this doesn't happen, the Chiefs could always trade down.

By the way, I'm doing this live because I thought it'd be fun to get instant feedback. I'm going to post my mock anyway, so why not do it this way? Follow @walterfootball for updates.
Quote:

34. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
Kansas City's new quarterback will need a new receiver if Dwayne Bowe leaves. I wouldn't spend the money on Bowe; he's overrated because he's inconsistent and piles up most of his stats in garbage time. He was responsible for a ton of turnovers, including both of Matt Cassel's interceptions against the Ravens.
Quote:

63. William Gholston, DE/DT, Michigan State
Glenn Dorsey will be a free agent in March and Tyson Jackson is due more than $14 million next year, so it appears as though their disappointing tenures in Kansas City are coming to an end.
I'll update this when he finishes our 4th round pick.

htismaqe 01-15-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9321296)
Updating today.

Gholston is a beast. I'm not sure he last that long.

Saccopoo 01-15-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9321391)
Gholston is a beast. I'm not sure he last that long.

Ummm...he had a pretty average year in 2012.

I'm telling you, if you want a guy of that size with a motor, Utah's Joe Kruger is your guy. He just declared for the draft and is 6'7", 280 lbs. and led the Utes in sacks this past season. Utah defensive guys are very well coached and come into the league prepared to play.

O.city 01-15-2013 04:08 PM

Gholston didn't have a very good pass rushing year. Has the tools, but didn't develop.

htismaqe 01-15-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9321496)
Ummm...he had a pretty average year in 2012.

I'm telling you, if you want a guy of that size with a motor, Utah's Joe Kruger is your guy. He just declared for the draft and is 6'7", 280 lbs. and led the Utes in sacks this past season. Utah defensive guys are very well coached and come into the league prepared to play.

That whole team had a down year really.

Definitely agree on Kruger though.

htismaqe 01-15-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9321530)
Gholston didn't have a very good pass rushing year. Has the tools, but didn't develop.

He's not going to be a top-end pass rusher. He's more of a plugger.

O.city 01-15-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9321536)
He's not going to be a top-end pass rusher. He's more of a plugger.

Yeah, and I assume he would play DE here? I'd like to find a little more pass rush up there.

htismaqe 01-15-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9321543)
Yeah, and I assume he would play DE here? I'd like to find a little more pass rush up there.

He's provide more pass rush than Dorsey and Jackson.

Keep in mind that even in a 1-gap, you're not gonna get double-digit sacks from DE very often.

O.city 01-15-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9321574)
He's provide more pass rush than Dorsey and Jackson.

Keep in mind that even in a 1-gap, you're not gonna get double-digit sacks from DE very often.

I know. I like Gholston, quite a bit.

I think he's a solid DE in the 34. I'm just looking for that next Keisel or Watt.

htismaqe 01-16-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9321580)
I know. I like Gholston, quite a bit.

I think he's a solid DE in the 34. I'm just looking for that next Keisel or Watt.

Keisel <<< Watt

the Talking Can 01-16-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9321296)
Updating today.

4th round unchanged

Quote:

Kansas City Chiefs: Jamie Collins, DE/OLB, Southern Miss
The Chiefs don't have much depth behind Tamba Hali and Justin Houston - as they discovered in the Week 1 loss to Atlanta - so they could spend an early 2013 NFL Draft pick on a rush linebacker.

O.city 01-16-2013 01:26 PM

Walter Cherepinsky ‏@walterfootball

An NFL general manager tells @AnthonyLGargano that he would take #WVU @GenoSmith_12 with his No. 1 pick. Should go to #Chiefs or #Eagles

Rambozo 01-16-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Draft

If we were really going to tag and trade Albert, we would have to get two firsts for him per the new cba. It's a longshot but, I think St. Louis is the team that would do it. They need a LT bad and they aren't going to get one with the 16th or 22nd picks. Also, KC would have to be dead set in taking Joeckel #1. The trade would have to happen before the draft imo.

NightHawk 01-16-2013 02:06 PM

This is what I would like to happen in the first four rounds.

1. QB
2. CB (Need a number 2 CB right behind Flowers)
3. WR (In Case we lose bowe to fa)
4. ILB (maybe a DE, who can replace Dorsey)

Mr. Flopnuts 01-16-2013 02:25 PM

As a Washington Husky guy I'll chime in that I'm not a big fan of Desmond Trufant. I think he's living off of his name right now as a 3rd round pick. He's not his brother...

bsp4444 01-16-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightHawk (Post 9325037)

1. QB

We should get another third round pick for Carr, and I'd like to see us take a safety.

Fat Elvis 01-16-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightHawk (Post 9325037)

1. QB

In that case, how about:

1. Geno Smith
2. Tony Jefferson (we need another safety as bad as we need a CB, and there isn't a CB around this part of the draft as good as Jefferson. I also think we will bring in DRC)
3. Da'Rick Rogers
4. Kevin Reddick

jd1020 01-16-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9325428)
In that case, how about:

1. Geno Smith
2. Tony Jefferson (we need another safety as bad as we need a CB, and there isn't a CB around this part of the draft as good as Jefferson. I also think we will bring in DRC)
3. Da'Rick Rogers
4. Kevin Reddick

Gonna go ahead and disagree with that.

milkman 01-16-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

1. Geno Smith, QB
2. Xavier Rhodes, CB
3. Da'Rick Rogers, WR
3. Zac Dysert, QB
4. Phillip Thomas, S

I haven't watched college football as much this year as I have in the past.

I have watched every geno Smith game but 2, and watched all of Tyler Wilson's games that have aired here, as well as all of Matt Barkley's game.

Which leads me to this question.

Who would be the best available strong safety so that we could move Berry to free?

NightHawk 01-16-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9325428)
In that case, how about:

1. Geno Smith
3. Da'Rick Rogers
4. Kevin Reddick

Don't know too much onKevin Reddick or Da'Rick Rodgers before as I have never seem them play. However, I'm loving the Geno Smith and Tony Jefferson picks for round one and two. If we did bring DRC, I would like this pick of Tony Jefferson. I'm still kinda hoping one of the good CB's will fall out of the first round.

the Talking Can 01-16-2013 07:55 PM

we need to nail the 2nd pick Flowers style....not McCluster style

the perk of losing ass loads of games is that you basically have 2 firsts...they have to be 2 starters

Rambozo 01-16-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9326179)

I have watched every geno Smith game but 2, and watched all of Tyler Wilson's games that have aired here, as well as all of Matt Barkley's game.

Who would be the best available strong safety so that we could move Berry to free?

Lester from Bama and Williams from Georgia are both good and project to go in the 3rd round. They are both thumpers. It's a pretty weak class for strong safeties. I would be suprised if one went in the first two rounds.

I would also be suprised if they move Berry. He's made the pro bowl as a SS both years he's played. I think the new staff won't screw with him as much as Romeo did last year. I think they'll let him just line up like a normal SS rather than blitz all the time and move all over the place. He plays the run better than any SS in the game imo.

We would be better served to take Rambo, FS, from Georgia in the second or third imo. He would be a first rounder if he hadn't gotten in trouble. He's a ball hawk and he can hit. Also, FS is much deeper than SS in this class.

Chris Meck 01-16-2013 10:50 PM

QB and a CB at 1 and 2 would certainly fill the biggest holes on the team. Sign a mid priced ILB to play thumper and a safety in FA and you've gone a long way towards winning.

ForeverChiefs58 01-17-2013 07:29 AM

We have a few holes and Hunt has the money. So, no need to make new holes that need to waste draft picks on. Sign Albert and Bowe.

If we can walk away from draft with upgrades at QB, CB, S, ILB, DE and Oline and WR depth = homerun.

DaKCMan AP 01-17-2013 09:48 AM

Very classy. Would not be upset at all if we grab this kid at the top of rd 2. I doubt he lasts that long..

http://gamedayr.wpengine.netdna-cdn....er-570x361.jpg

O.city 01-17-2013 01:59 PM

I think Floyd might be the best 34 DE prospect in the draft. He's there in the second, along with a top end Cb, it's gonna be a hard choice, IMO.

DaKCMan AP 01-18-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9328496)
I think Floyd might be the best 34 DE prospect in the draft. He's there in the second, along with a top end Cb, it's gonna be a hard choice, IMO.

Yep. I'm torn between whether I'd take Floyd or Rhodes at the top of rd 2. I don't think either will be there, however.

Chris Meck 01-18-2013 08:11 PM

we need a corner worse than another d lineman. If you've got 'em rated anywhere close, you take the corner.

Rexx 01-18-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9327140)
QB and a CB at 1 and 2 would certainly fill the biggest holes on the team. Sign a mid priced ILB to play thumper and a safety in FA and you've gone a long way towards winning.

This. I am hoping this is exactly how they approach the offseason. I'd like to see them draft a safety in round 3 or 4 as well.

BossChief 01-20-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9331749)
we need a corner worse than another d lineman. If you've got 'em rated anywhere close, you take the corner.

Dorsey and Jackson will likely both be gone...Unless they are able towork something out with both of them...We need DL again.

ArrowheadMagic 01-20-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9326179)

Best case scenario is Matt Elam from Florida falling to the top of the 2nd. Partial to Jefferson from OU, similar type player as Berry, but he kind of faded towards the end of the season. Played poorly in the Cotton bowl. Looked slow, but he has been dealing with injuries. Interested to see him at the combine.

Honestly, think it might be better to address the back 7 thru FA and draft for depth. Anything to get Lewis and Brown off the field.

htismaqe 01-21-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9334802)
Dorsey and Jackson will likely both be gone...Unless they are able towork something out with both of them...We need DL again.

3-4 DEs can be drafted late. Hell, you can find good ones as UDFA.

O.city 01-21-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9338700)

Yeah true.

However, if Hunt is what everyone says he is or will be, if he were there in the second I'd think about taking him.

Saccopoo 01-21-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9339703)
Yeah true.

However, if Hunt is what everyone says he is or will be, if he were there in the second I'd think about taking him.

Quote:

For nearly 10 years, Bruce Feldman, a writer for CBSSports.com, has annually compiled what he calls a "Freak List" of the 10 college football players he considers the most freakish athletes. In 2012, Hunt was on top of his list. According to Feldman, Hunt "sounds like a PlayStation football creation"—despite his 82-inch (2.1 m) wingspan, he is able to bench press 225 pounds (102 kg) 35 times, and has also cleaned 384 pounds (174 kg) and snatched 345 pounds (156 kg). Hunt also boasts a 36-inch (91 cm) vertical jump. Wollman predicts that Hunt will have 45 repetitions and a 4.6-second 40-yard dash at the 2013 NFL combine

However, I'd much rather have a starting CB in the second and someone like Joe Kruger in the fourth/fifth. There is going to be a really good CB sitting there with that second round pick.

O.city 01-21-2013 06:53 PM

Yeah, CB is a need.

TBH, if we were to sign Talib in free agency, I woudln't be upset.

the Talking Can 01-29-2013 07:23 AM

updated on 23rd...late round changes

1. Geno Smith
2. Justin Hunter

3. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
Glenn Dorsey will be a free agent in March and Tyson Jackson is due more than $14 million next year, so it appears as though their disappointing tenures in Kansas City are coming to an end.

4. Brandon Jenkins, DE/OLB, Florida State
The Chiefs don't have much depth behind Tamba Hali and Justin Houston - as they discovered in the Week 1 loss to Atlanta - so they could spend an early 2013 NFL Draft pick on a rush linebacker.

Frosty 01-29-2013 08:29 AM

I would love to pick Datone Jones. However, I doubt he makes it to the 3rd.

Mr. Arrowhead 01-29-2013 12:18 PM

new one up today

Kansas City Chiefs: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
Scott Pioli was fired, as the awesome @saveourchiefs movement was pushing for, and he's been replaced by Andy Reid and his staff. The question is whether Reid will take a shot on a quarterback or go the safe route with Luke Joeckel.

Chris Mortensen said Monday that he expects Joeckel to be the first pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, but has a feeling that Reid will select a quarterback - which means he expects him to trade down. I agree with Mort. I'm not sure about the moving down part - Kansas City will sure as hell try - but here's why Geno Smith will be the pick, barring any big acquisition in free agency:

1. New regimes mean new quarterbacks, and if history is any indication, Reid will use this pick on Smith. Reid eschewed all the top free-agent quarterbacks when he took over as the Eagles' head coach, taking a mobile, Big East product with a good deep ball and upside instead. Well, Smith is a mobile, (former) Big East product with a good deep ball and upside. He fits perfectly into Reid's offense.

2. ESPN and other outlets will tell you that Smith nor any other signal-caller is worth taking No. 1 overall, but that could easily change. Remember two years ago when ESPN was mocking Da'Quan Bowers and Nick Fairley to the Panthers? Well, Cam Newton ballooned to the top, as will some other quarterback this year. It could be Smith, Matt Barkley or Mike Glennon. We'll see. Three months is a long time.

3. Think no one believes Smith is worth the No. 1 pick? Think again. Anthony Gargano of 94 WIP in Philadelphia revealed that he spoke to a general manager who told him that he would draft Smith with the first-overall selection. This is just one general manager, but if one GM wants Smith that badly, then there's a chance that several do. Smith has a ton of upside, so a quarterback-friendly coach like Reid might think he could coach him up to a Pro Bowl level.

4. My Chiefs' source, who has a high success rate of delivering Kansas City's first-round picks, told me Smith is currently the favorite to go No. 1 overall, but conceded that it's still too early in the process. He said that the combination of Joeckel and Tyler Wilson is also a strong possibility.

Titty Meat 01-29-2013 12:35 PM

Ill take a play making WR over a CB any day of the week. You can win in this league with an average #2 CB.

Fat Elvis 01-29-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9361704)
new one up today

Scott ***** was fired, as the awesome @saveourchiefs movement was pushing for, and he's been replaced by Andy Reid and his staff. The question is whether Reid will take a shot on a quarterback or go the safe route with Luke Joeckel.

Chris Mortensen said Monday that he expects Joeckel to be the first pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, but has a feeling that Reid will select a quarterback - which means he expects him to trade down. I agree with Mort. I'm not sure about the moving down part - Kansas City will sure as hell try - but here's why Geno Smith will be the pick, barring any big acquisition in free agency:

1. New regimes mean new quarterbacks, and if history is any indication, Reid will use this pick on Smith. Reid eschewed all the top free-agent quarterbacks when he took over as the Eagles' head coach, taking a mobile, Big East product with a good deep ball and upside instead. Well, Smith is a mobile, (former) Big East product with a good deep ball and upside. He fits perfectly into Reid's offense.

2. ESPN and other outlets will tell you that Smith nor any other signal-caller is worth taking No. 1 overall, but that could easily change. Remember two years ago when ESPN was mocking Da'Quan Bowers and Nick Fairley to the Panthers? Well, Cam Newton ballooned to the top, as will some other quarterback this year. It could be Smith, Matt Barkley or Mike Glennon. We'll see. Three months is a long time.

3. Think no one believes Smith is worth the No. 1 pick? Think again. Anthony Gargano of 94 WIP in Philadelphia revealed that he spoke to a general manager who told him that he would draft Smith with the first-overall selection. This is just one general manager, but if one GM wants Smith that badly, then there's a chance that several do. Smith has a ton of upside, so a quarterback-friendly coach like Reid might think he could coach him up to a Pro Bowl level.

4. My Chiefs' source, who has a high success rate of delivering Kansas City's first-round picks, told me Smith is currently the favorite to go No. 1 overall, but conceded that it's still too early in the process. He said that the combination of Joeckel and Tyler Wilson is also a strong possibility.

Wowsers.:toast:

The Franchise 01-29-2013 01:19 PM

On Jarvis Jones falling (He has him going #17 in his latest mock):

Quote:

Jarvis Jones Expected To Slide on Draft Day
Published Jan. 18, 2013
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Georgia outside linebacker Jarvis Jones had been one of the most dominant football players in college football the past two seasons. He's destroyed the SEC for those two years, as many consider him to be one of the most talented players in the 2013 NFL Draft class. Jones is on top of my 2013 NFL Draft Big Board, as well as ESPN's Mel Kiper's.

However, after speaking with scouts at the East-West Shrine Game who have Jones in their territory, they say they expect Jones to slide down and fall out of the top five next April.

The scouts said there are a few reasons that could add up to Jones falling into the 6-10 range. First of all, the scouts said that Jones is not a good workout guy. They don't believe that he is going to test well or stand out in the Combine or pre-draft workouts. Area scouts who cover Georgia say that Jones is not a weight-room guy. He doesn't put a lot of work in during the week, but would show up on Saturday and dominate naturally.

They said that Jones is a good guy and a good teammate, but just isn't a tireless worker. As one scout said, "Don't get me wrong, if you watch his tapes you'll say he is worth being the No. 1 rated player and going in the top five of the draft. You can watch him on Saturdays and see that this guy is animal. He's clearly the best player on the field, but not a guy that you'll be in love with during the week. Add in the medical concern and with the testing, and I think he's going to slide some on Draft Day."

Jones' medical condition is a spinal stenosis that happened as a freshman at USC. On a routine hit against Oregon, Jones sustained the injury. A specialist told him he would be fine, but USC's doctors wouldn't clear him and told him he should retire from football. After transferring to Georgia, Jones broke out as one of the best players in college football.

As a junior, Jones had 85 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 24.5 tackles for a loss, seven forced fumbles, three passes broken up and one interception in 2012. Jones had massive performances against Florida and Missouri with consistently good outings all year. Jones led the nation in sacks and for the second straight season had the most sacks in the SEC.

In 2011, he tied for the second-most sacks in the nation, 13.5. He also had 70 tackles with 19.5 tackles for a loss and two forced fumbles.

Jones could be a classic example of teams overthinking the draft process. Over the history of the draft, good players have slid because of an unnecessary medical concerns or not working out well at the Combine. If Jones plays in the NFL like he did at Georgia, he'll reward whomever takes him on Draft Day with plenty of teams feeling regret.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-29-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

:whackit: :whackit: :whackit:

Sorter 01-29-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9361933)
On Jarvis Jones falling (He has him going #17 in his latest mock):

That would be so sweet if he somehow fell to us at 34.

BossChief 01-29-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9362007)
That would be so sweet if he somehow fell to us at 34.

If he slips to 20 or so, I'd be on the phones trying to move up.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 01:54 PM

I'm not trading picks for Jones. Nobody knows how long he is good for.

If he slides to 34, fine take him. But don't give up picks to get him.

Sorter 01-29-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9362034)

The reason I really wanted Mercilus last year was that he provided flexibility and supreme depth. Additionally, with the way Tamba plays he's probably due for an injury or a very quick drop off IMO once he hits the wall.

If Rhodes, Rambo, and Banks had already been taken in addition to most of the usual 1st round projections, I'd consider moving up for him.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 01-29-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9338700)

I know it's probably not a popular opinion but I'd be very interested in Montgomery or Okafor for round 2 if either come in around 270.

The Franchise 01-29-2013 02:53 PM

Look at that 2nd round. JFC....

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_2.php

htismaqe 01-29-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides. (Post 9362195)
I know it's probably not a popular opinion but I'd be very interested in Montgomery or Okafor for round 2 if either come in around 270.

Not sure I see Montgomery lasting that long.

Honestly, I care the most, BY FAR, about 1-1.

We need to take a QB. After that, I'm WIDE open and down for whatever.

The Bad Guy 01-29-2013 06:54 PM

Walter is full of shit about his high rate of success with Chiefs picks.

MagicHef 01-29-2013 07:20 PM

So... he has the Broncos taking Desmond Trufant in the first. Would trading for Revis take more than a #1 pick? If not, why not do that instead?

CoMoChief 01-29-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9334802)

ROFL dude lmao everytime at your sig

ForeverChiefs58 01-29-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

new one up today

Scott ***** was fired, as the awesome @saveourchiefs movement was pushing for, and he's been replaced by Andy Reid and his staff. The question is whether Reid will take a shot on a quarterback or go the safe route with Luke Joeckel.

What bugs me when someone says "trade down and get a QB"

Jacksonville Jaguars #2
Oakland Raiders #3
Cleveland Browns #6
Arizona Cardinals #7
Buffalo Bills #8
New York Jets #9

All in the top 10 right behind us who could draft a QB if some dumbass team in front of them decides to pass on the biggest need in the NFL.

NJChiefsFan 01-29-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 9363337)

Jacksonville Jaguars #2
Oakland Raiders #3
Cleveland Browns #6
Arizona Cardinals #7
Buffalo Bills #8
New York Jets #9

All in the top 10 right behind us who could draft a QB if some dumbass team in front of them decides to pass on the biggest need in the NFL.

Well the premise that makes them say trade down in the first place is that they don't respect any of the QB options. Hell, by saying trade down they are looking at QB desperate team like KC and not giving them the QB at their spot. Not surprising they they expect QBs to slip by these other teams. They don't respect these prospects and they don't seem to get how much teams want QBs in a league that demands you have a QB.

RunKC 01-30-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9362034)

If Jarvis Jones is there at 20, then that means there is something seriously wrong with him according to that report.

I'm not giving up picks for him when we have Houston and Tamba. Jones doesn't fit in our defense with them here and Tamba surely has at least 3 more productive years.

ForeverChiefs58 01-30-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9363762)
Well the premise that makes them say trade down in the first place is that they don't respect any of the QB options. Hell, by saying trade down they are looking at QB desperate team like KC and not giving them the QB at their spot. Not surprising they they expect QBs to slip by these other teams. They don't respect these prospects and they don't seem to get how much teams want QBs in a league that demands you have a QB.

No it's not even that, it's when they'll have teams right behind us draft a QB. They'll say Chiefs should trade down, with caption "because no QB is worth #1", then turn around and have a team right behind us in top 10 take a QB. An example is Ariz' caption "because they had the worst QB play and should fix QB problems"

It makes me say WTF? outloud.

BossChief 01-30-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 9363337)

Jacksonville Jaguars #2
Oakland Raiders #3
Cleveland Browns #6
Arizona Cardinals #7
Buffalo Bills #8
New York Jets #9

I wouldn't rule the eagles out at 4, either.

Basically, 8 of the first 9 picks should be quarterback shopping.

ForeverChiefs58 01-30-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9364022)
I wouldn't rule the eagles out at 4, either.

Basically, 8 of the first 9 picks should be quarterback shopping.

Yeah, I've read a few places that think Chip Kelly will be looking for "his guy" to fit the style of offense he wants. Makes it even more crazy people talking a trade down.

Chiefs haven't drafted a QB in 1st in 30 years, and have never had the first pick. Gee, I wonder what's missing from this franchise?

One can only hope for all that is Holy we use it on Geno.

htismaqe 01-30-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 9364050)
Yeah, I've read a few places that think Chip Kelly will be looking for "his guy" to fit the style of offense he wants. Makes it even more crazy people talking a trade down.

Chiefs haven't drafted a QB in 1st in 30 years, and have never had the first pick. Gee, I wonder what's missing from this franchise?

One can only hope for all that is Holy we use it on Geno.

http://i.imgur.com/KrZEk.gif

htismaqe 01-30-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9363813)
If Jarvis Jones is there at 20, then that means there is something seriously wrong with him according to that report.

I'm not giving up picks for him when we have Houston and Tamba. Jones doesn't fit in our defense with them here and Tamba surely has at least 3 more productive years.

TOTALLY AGREE. 110%

MagicHef 01-30-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9363813)

I am not extremely familiar with Jarvis Jones' condition. However, look at Da'Quan Bowers. No one wanted to touch him, he ended up going 51st. Even with missing time due to injury, he has (according to PFF) outplayed every 4-3 DE taken ahead of him: Robert Quinn, Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Jordan, and Jabaal Sheard.

NJChiefsFan 01-30-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 9363821)
No it's not even that, it's when they'll have teams right behind us draft a QB. They'll say Chiefs should trade down, with caption "because no QB is worth #1", then turn around and have a team right behind us in top 10 take a QB. An example is Ariz' caption "because they had the worst QB play and should fix QB problems"

It makes me say WTF? outloud.

That's true. You get the "Chiefs need a QB but it would be a reach here" followed by a team at 3 or 4 getting the "they get value with QB here".

htismaqe 01-30-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9364162)
I am not extremely familiar with Jarvis Jones' condition. However, look at Da'Quan Bowers. No one wanted to touch him, he ended up going 51st. Even with missing time due to injury, he has (according to PFF) outplayed every 4-3 DE taken ahead of him: Robert Quinn, Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Jordan, and Jabaal Sheard.

Jarvis Jones has spinal stenosis.

Bowers had a knee condition, IIRC.

The Franchise 01-30-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9364162)

According to PFF maybe.......

Jordan had 8 sacks and 66 tackles last year. Plus 3 fumbles forced.
Sheard had 7 sacks and 55 tackles last year. Plus 1 fumble forced.
Bowers had 3 sacks and 13 tackles last year. Zero fumbles forced.

MagicHef 01-30-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9364237)
According to PFF maybe.......

Jordan had 8 sacks and 66 tackles last year. Plus 3 fumbles forced.
Sheard had 7 sacks and 55 tackles last year. Plus 1 fumble forced.
Bowers had 3 sacks and 13 tackles last year. Zero fumbles forced.

Bowers played part time, he replaced Daniel Teo-Nesheim. He played 292 snaps, while Jordan played 1059 and Sheard played 1015.