ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football "You don't know Bo." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267485)

Mi_chief_fan 12-08-2012 08:34 PM

"You don't know Bo."

I'd forgotten just how great Bo Jackson was. Hope this 30 for 30 doesn't disappoint.

DaKCMan AP 12-08-2012 08:39 PM

So far it's just ok.

Mi_chief_fan 12-08-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9190334)
So far it's just ok.

Need more highlights

kcxiv 12-08-2012 08:46 PM

This shit just brings me back to my childhood. I wasnt a Chiefs fan in the 80's, i was an L.A Rams fan then they moved. haha anyways, i loved sports in general so, watching this shit reminds me of the good ole days

ghak99 12-08-2012 08:48 PM

That started pretty slow, I'm a pretty big Bo fan and I got bored as hell.

Mi_chief_fan 12-08-2012 09:00 PM

Jason Whitlock is claiming on twitter that he beat Bo Jackson in the 40 yard dash in high school.

DaKCMan AP 12-08-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9190369)
Jason Whitlock is claiming on twitter that he beat Bo Jackson in the 40 yard dash in high school.

Are you a new follower of Whit?

Mi_chief_fan 12-08-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9190380)
Are you a new follower of Whit?

yeah, is this a long standing claim?

DaKCMan AP 12-08-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9190384)
yeah, is this a long standing claim?

Not this one in particular, but he regularly makes stupid claims. His long standing one is that he played QB for Michigan under Bo Schembechler but had to transfer amid NCAA violations.

It's mind-boggling how many people continuously ask him if he really played for Michigan. He enjoys making ridiculously claims and then watching people fall for it or get worked up over it.

Mi_chief_fan 12-08-2012 09:14 PM

I've heard him talk about the Michigan thing, I've asked people I know associated with U-M, they don't remember him at all. As far as the race with Bo, sounds like pure bs.

DaKCMan AP 12-08-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9190412)
I've heard him talk about the Michigan thing, I've asked people I know associated with U-M, they don't remember him at all. As far as the race with Bo, sounds like pure bs.

Maybe you're not understanding me. It's all BS. It's his shtick. Don't fall for it.

Mi_chief_fan 12-08-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9190417)
Maybe you're not understanding me. It's all BS. It's his shtick. Don't fall for it.

I understand.

Mi_chief_fan 12-08-2012 09:21 PM

BTW-Happy Chanukah!

DaKCMan AP 12-08-2012 09:23 PM

Thanks. Bo Knows Chanukah.

ghak99 12-08-2012 09:42 PM

"Here lies a ball player."

O.city 12-08-2012 09:44 PM

I'm not a Royals fan, but for those of you who are/were, was it hard to like Bo?

In the end, he was a Raider too.

CaliforniaChief 12-08-2012 09:46 PM

Bo Jackson was the most exciting player I've ever watched wear Royals blue. Of course he was no George Brett in his career, but I just couldn't wait to watch him...whether he was throwing someone out, hitting a ball 450 feet, stealing a base, or scaling a wall.

Goldmember 12-08-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9190485)
I'm not a Royals fan, but for those of you who are/were, was it hard to like Bo?

I was pissed he went to the raiders. Of course, I would have loved for him to play across the parking lot.

lewdog 12-08-2012 09:47 PM

I thought that was pretty well done, although not a ton of earth shattering info and moved pretty slow.

Where older Royals fans enthralled with Bo? Or was he an above average baseball player?

Goldmember 12-08-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9190492)
I thought that was pretty well done, although not a ton of earth shattering info and moved pretty slow.

Where older Royals fans enthralled with Bo? Or was he an above average baseball player?

He really wasn't a complete baseball player, he struck out too much, but you had to watch because he would do crazy shit.

kcxiv 12-08-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9190393)
Not this one in particular, but he regularly makes stupid claims. His long standing one is that he played QB for Michigan under Bo Schembechler but had to transfer amid NCAA violations.

It's mind-boggling how many people continuously ask him if he really played for Michigan. He enjoys making ridiculously claims and then watching people fall for it or get worked up over it.

lol, it was a joke. He talked about that on his podcast with rich eisen. they all got a kick out of that. lol

People take everythign so serious.

DaKCMan AP 12-08-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9190504)
lol, it was a joke. He talked about that on his podcast with rich eisen. they all got a kick out of that. lol

People take everythign so serious.

Thanks for parroting what I said.

cdcox 12-08-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldmember (Post 9190502)
He really wasn't a complete baseball player, he struck out too much, but you had to watch because he would do crazy shit.

Yep. His highlights were off the hook, but he never came close to reaching his potential as a baseball player. To this day, I think he would have been a HOFer in either sport if he picked one and stuck to it, but by trying to do both, he ended up just being a footnote.

tk13 12-08-2012 09:59 PM

It's all a joke. Whitlock likes to make jokes like that. It's just what he does.

Hootie 12-08-2012 10:08 PM

guys lol it's just a schtick Whitlock does...he's joking

cdcox 12-08-2012 10:11 PM

Is Whitlock serious when he says that stuff or is he only joking? Does anybody know?

stonedstooge 12-08-2012 10:12 PM

He was more fun to watch as Bo the athlete as he was Bo the baseball player

Hootie 12-08-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9190546)
Is Whitlock serious when he says that stuff or is he only joking? Does anybody know?

He's joking. He causes quite the stir though. It's kind of a schtick he has.

KCFalcon59 12-08-2012 10:32 PM

It was quite the scene when he came to KC as a faider. The crowd just went crazy. Throwing plastic footballs, baseballs on the field. Nuts. Still wish the Chiefs would have had the smarts to draft him the year after he snubbed TB.

ohiobronco2 12-08-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9190553)
He's joking. He causes quite the stir though. It's kind of a schtick he has.

Thanks for bogarting what I said. :rolleyes:

ROFL:D

Al Bundy 12-08-2012 10:59 PM

The best baseball player ever, the throw out of Harold Reynolds in Seattle on a Friday night. The look on Darnell Coles face was priceless in the on-deck circle.

Raiderhater 12-08-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Used to drive me insane as a kid trying to make sense of it. I just couldn't understand how he could play in both places.

Still not sure I completely understand....

Psyko Tek 12-08-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

it's true...

barbeque was involved

big nasty kcnut 12-09-2012 02:27 AM

Yeah whitlock did beat bo in the forty as in the forty hot dog race. Anywho Bo as a raider sucks but when he was with the royals he freaking rocked. damn i wish he and george had a team around them they could of been special

BigRedChief 12-09-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

He trolls people for fun.

BigRedChief 12-09-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9190679)
The best baseball player ever,

ROFL Let's not get carried away.

okcchief 12-09-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

It was hard for me, but in the end God struck him down for being a Raider.

FlaChief58 12-09-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Yep, I loved him during baseball season but hated him during football season. Still, he's one of the greats

Rausch 12-09-2012 08:45 AM

$#IT. When they replaying this?...

Mi_chief_fan 12-09-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9190946)
$#IT. When they replaying this?...

Was playing a couple hours ago.

Mi_chief_fan 12-09-2012 09:00 AM

Just looked it up, Wednesday 8:00 pm ET.

Rausch 12-09-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9190961)
Was playing a couple hours ago.

:mad:

https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy...8/fuuuuuuu.jpg

notorious 12-09-2012 09:03 AM

Bo's career NFL stats per game are similar to Larry Johnson's if Bo played entire seasons.

He is a GOD on Tecmo Super Bowl.

mesmith31 12-09-2012 10:08 AM

Bo's book, "Bo Knows' is one of my favorite sports biographies. It hit the perfect blend of borderline mythology and anecdotal evidence. Probably what got me knowing about Bo was Techmo Bowl. From there I had to see that actual guy which is what turned me on to football.

I watched the documentary last night, and while it wasn't as good as the book, I got to watch it with my kids and answer alot of questions for them. It was great nostalgia and a chance to revel in one of the last mythical sports figures ever. It is tough in the world of You Tube and helicopter parents and scouts for a mythology to grow in the imagination of the public like it did with Bo.

cardken2 12-09-2012 10:25 AM

Anyone who wasn't around to see the man play in person, or old enough to remember his playing and watching it, can't comment on the sheer euphoria that was Bo Jackson.
A younger sports fan has never, nor will ever "experience" anything like him again. Yes, the greatest "what if", but was the most amazing "He did". And all with class and humility, something today's sports fans again, has never and will never experience again.

KCTitus 12-09-2012 11:01 AM

Caught the 30 for 30 last night...

I was at the game when Bo hit the longest home run at Royals stadium...it was amazing at how high the ball went. Seemed like a pop fly, but it just kept going up and up.

I worked at Royals/Chiefs stadiums back in 1986 and 1987 and I remember the first time that Bo came up from Memphis...he took some batting practice before the gates opened for that nights game. We all stopped to watch him. I remember him hitting one what seemed like 10ft short of the scoreboard in straight away center.

It's funny to think that a great athlete like that would play baseball in KC...that certainly wouldnt happen in this day and age. He'd have been a Red Sox or Yankee.

redfan 12-09-2012 11:48 AM

I'll never forget the time the camera zooms in on Bo playing outfield.
Between batters, Bo is scrutinizing the Bazooka Joe comic from his bubblegum.

With Bo, baseball was always an adventure. There was an excitement when he came to the plate no other player could match; even when he struck out it was amazing.

UL Washington 12-09-2012 04:26 PM

I was at the game he ran over Rick Dempsey at home plate, I remember Dempsey tumbling backwards and landing outside the dirt circle but it looks he actually didn't go that far but at the time seemed like it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GA9HESBwdBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WilliamTheIrish 12-10-2012 01:05 PM

I think this post is from 09, but I remember copying and pasting it again from a thread in 05. It's one one of those events you had to see to know it was true. And to this day, it was one of the greatest shows of arm strength in baseball I've ever seen.

Quote:

If you ever saw him during infield/outfield workouts you would have no doubt about his ability. And his hard work. That HR he hit in the ASG in Anaheim went 500 feet and was a thing of beauty.

I've mentioned this before but on the final day of the 1986 season the Royals were playing the Twins, who had clinched their first post season since 1966. I was sitting in LF GA with my brothers. The team was taking infield/outfield practice.

Lonnie Smith and Bo were the two LF'ers, with BO being a recent callup from Omaha [Memphis]. When it came time for them to make their throws to 2nd, 3rd and home.... that's when the action started.

Ground ball to LF, Lonnie scoops it up and throws a high lob, that comes fairly close to third base.

Bo is up next. Ground ball into LF, Bo scoops it up and throws a BB that (I swear) never got more 6 feet off the ground and it hits Brett's glove right on the bag. Crowd screams in delight.

They do it again and this time Lonnie throws another semi rainbow to 3b about 3 feet offline. This time the crowd boos. Lonnie's shoulder slump.

Bo up again. He fields a line drive on one hop and fires another BB that hits Brett waist high, while straddling the bag. Crowd goes crazy.

The next two balls that come to LF are for throws to home plate. Lonnie is up and fields it clean and throws a 14 hopper to the plate. The crowd boos. Loud.

Bo fields his attempt and throws a laser to the plate. ON the fly. Crowd (bigger now because of the hubub and everybody came down the line to see what was happening) screams their approval.

Lonnie filds his last attempt, bobbles the ball and throws a rainbow that misses home plate by such a margin that Sundberg has to run up the first base line to field it. The crowd rains down "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!!!! on Lonnie. He leaves the field and Lonnie was visibly shaken. (Can't blame im).

Bo's final throw from LF was another cannon shot that went home on the fly to Sunny who was straddling the plate. The crowd went beserk.

I remember Howser talking about it in the paper the next day. He stopped Lonnie after practice and told him he was still the player who helped win this team a WS. Lonnie saw the writing on the wall though. He wasn't the same in limited duty in 87. Played in 48 games.

I love Lonnie. We'd have never won the AL West title w/o him in 1985. He was a key cog in that wheel.

Molitoth 12-10-2012 02:25 PM

Just watched this and I thought it was awesome.

Bo was my first sports hero as a kid, but I forgot how special he was.

It got to the part where he was making arrows in his basement and then DVR stopped recording because it ran over in time due to stupid Heisman trophy ceremony.

1ChiefsDan 12-10-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9190490)
Bo Jackson was the most exciting player I've ever watched wear Royals blue. Of course he was no George Brett in his career, but I just couldn't wait to watch him...whether he was throwing someone out, hitting a ball 450 feet, stealing a base, or scaling a wall.

Bo was exciting when at bat. Or when he finally tracked down a slow grounder to left field that went between his legs and he would throw it from the warning track to home plate.

Our season tickets were just past 3rd base. Got to see him miss balls constantly. Sucked at fielding.

ForeverChiefs58 12-10-2012 04:00 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HLdRZwUYLuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q-Ov1vR1OJw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dgYYaL--1qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AR-8GRmbY8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz 12-10-2012 04:25 PM

Bo threw to he wrong base a bunch struck out a ton and infielders refused to go to the outfield after balls because that trucker was running in hard.

lcarus 12-10-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

I was just behind Darren Sproles in sprints in high school. We were on the same basketball team and raced every day at practice during our sprints. Just couldn't get over the hump and beat him. Now days...he'd beat me by a mile. Since ya know...he became a professional football player and I became a pot & cigarette smoking graphic designer who plays video games of professional football players.

ChiefsCountry 12-10-2012 05:23 PM

If Bo didn't get hurt, he would have been right in his prime during the 1994 season when the Royals had a world class pitching staff - Cone, Appier, Gubiza.

-King- 05-07-2013 03:28 PM

Bo Jackson baseball scouting report:

http://nbchardballtalk.files.wordpre...pg?w=600&h=776

Jiu Jitsu Jon 05-07-2013 04:04 PM

Touchdown, Bo Jackson! They made a shirt with that image from Tecmo Bowl, of him spiking the football in the end zone. I have it.

Chief_For_Life58 05-07-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9197398)
I was just behind Darren Sproles in sprints in high school. We were on the same basketball team and raced every day at practice during our sprints. Just couldn't get over the hump and beat him. Now days...he'd beat me by a mile. Since ya know...he became a professional football player and I became a pot & cigarette smoking graphic designer who plays video games of professional football players.

party

Fat Elvis 05-07-2013 04:40 PM

Bo could simply do things other human beings can't do.